IMG_0517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0701 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0513 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1404 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1405 (resized).JPEG
IMG_7706 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,927 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 219.
#301 10 years ago

This is a rather clever hack for the issues the left ramp's right diverter switch can have:

http://wrongcrowd.com/gallery/pinball/shadow_switch_mod

I've got mine pretty well tuned now, but it's still not 100% reliable and can occasionally trap the ball.

#302 10 years ago

I'm in! I just started tearing my Shadow down for a proper shop job and found that someone had removed mylar from the playfield using a knife! Oh, the horror. What would be the best method of removing the grunge from the knife marks? How to seal the cracks until a proper clearcoat can be done?

photo1.JPGphoto1.JPG photo2.JPGphoto2.JPG photo3.JPGphoto3.JPG photo4.JPGphoto4.JPG photo5.JPGphoto5.JPG

#303 10 years ago

^ that sux bro

#304 10 years ago

So frustrating... the protector set I got from Marco was missing a pre-drilled hole so I sent it back and they were going to send me a good set. Turns out all of their sets are missing the same hole. Quality on that plastic seems poor as well. Now I get to send it back a second time. One of these days I'll be able to put my new plastics on.

#305 10 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

So frustrating... the protector set I got from Marco was missing a pre-drilled hole so I sent it back and they were going to send me a good set. Turns out all of their sets are missing the same hole. Quality on that plastic seems poor as well. Now I get to send it back a second time. One of these days I'll be able to put my new plastics on.

Wouldn't it have just been easier to drill the missing hole so you could still have used them?

#306 10 years ago

I'm checking with another place now to see what they have... but the problem is the overall quality is low compared to a set I have for another game. Reason for sending back was I had to return another item anyway and was told they had a good set to re-send.

At this point poor quality may be better than nothing.

1 week later
#307 10 years ago

well it was fun, but i t seems im out of the club. got a great offer i couldnt refuse. i shall find another

#309 10 years ago

Finally had some time to begin tearing into my Shadow today. I'm going to polish all the metal guides, clean up the playfield, give it a good waxing and install new flipper bats & plastic set. Now all I need is a good alt translite.

IMG_7921.JPGIMG_7921.JPG

#310 10 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

Now all I need is a good alt translite.

Soon, I promise!

#311 10 years ago

I made a little progress over the weekend.

IMG_7985.JPGIMG_7985.JPG IMG_7986.JPGIMG_7986.JPG

#312 10 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

I made a little progress over the weekend.

Looking good! I really think the Shadow looks great with more purple. I only switched the front three flasher domes to purple, looking forward to see how yours looks all together with the back ones too.

#313 10 years ago

If anyone missed it and is interested I finally finished my alt translite design for The Shadow. Thread is here:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-new-original-alternate-translite-speaker-panel-cards

And with that I'm going to stop shamelessly pimping my own thread, but had to get it in the Club! For the lazy who don't want to click here's the design, translite + speaker panel (matching instruction cards are in the thread):

Translite-Plus-Speakers.jpgTranslite-Plus-Speakers.jpg

#314 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

looking forward to see how yours looks all together with the back ones too.

Well... I really need to find some artist-type to design me a cool decal go to behind them. I'm not a fan of the big brick wall.

#315 10 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

Well... I really need to find some artist-type to design me a cool decal go to behind them. I'm not a fan of the big brick wall.

I have the brick wall decal on mine and I like it, but it might not go as well with the purple domes, it's true.

Just spitballing out loud here, but if you did get my alternate translite I wonder what it would look like if that back area was the sky from my design, with the blimps? Would work with the purple, and would be kind of cool to tie the translite into the playfield, never seen that. Wouldn't be that hard to make a decal that size from the art I have. I dunno, just thinking out loud really.

Edit: Hmm, now I kind of want to mock up what that might look like myself.

#316 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Hmm, now I kind of want to mock up what that might look like myself.

My plan is working perfectly!

I'll take the deluxe combo package.

#317 10 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

My plan is working perfectly!
I'll take the deluxe combo package.

Can you take some measurements for that wall? You can get back in there much better than I can with everything taken apart like you have. Doesn't have to be super precise, can just build in a little extra space to trim off.

#318 10 years ago

Shared on the Bash, and thought you Shadow guys might be interested too. I finished LEDing my Shadow last night. I tried out Comet Pinball LEDs for the first time and am very satisfied. The whole machine is flat top supers. Inserts are mostly color matched outside of cool whites in yellow and orange spots, GI is mostly blue with some cool white and red in the back and backbox is an assortment of blue, cool white, green and two purples.

photo_(27).JPGphoto_(27).JPG

#319 10 years ago

Aurich, you like the purple, and I like the green, but we can agree that a matching upper left decal in your art "set" is a terrific idea!!!!! Now go get to work and make it awesome so I can hand you a bunch of cash.. ....

#320 10 years ago

All this Shadow talk has gotten me excited. Picked one up cheap a couple of months ago and it's been sitting folded while I renovated.

Anyway, started tearing down TS last night. I wanted to get some parts sent off to Mike Chestnut in time for pick-up at Expo and, with any luck I'll have it all back together by the end of October (complete with new translite )

#321 10 years ago
Quoted from ZEN:

Aurich, you like the purple, and I like the green, but we can agree that a matching upper left decal in your art "set" is a terrific idea!!!!! Now go get to work and make it awesome so I can hand you a bunch of cash.. ....

I toyed with it a bit yesterday, but I need to find some time to mess with it properly. I'll at least print a quickie concept on my inkjet and place it back there once I have my translite in, see how it feels. If it has potential I'll take it further.

I'm starting to get sucked into an Elvira restore, but no worries, I still have lots of love for The Shadow!

#322 10 years ago

My shadow is getting cleared and the airbrush artist wants to repair the sanctum to look like this.

I think it will look very cool!!

IMG_1010.JPGIMG_1010.JPG

#323 10 years ago

pretty cool

#324 10 years ago

Hmm, not a fan of the glowing letters honestly. I'd just redo them in white or something if you want that part black. The playfield isn't about gradients and glows, keep it flat so it matches. Also, if you're getting custom work done, then get him to do an original portrait of The Shadow, instead of repeating something that's already on both the playfield and the slingshot plastic! Maybe that's just a placeholder for showing the concept, but that's what I would do if I was going the custom route. My two cents, whatever makes you happy is what you should do.

#325 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

redecalling a Shadow head isn't that bad because the art is a small sticker on a black head. You don't have to go to the edges. It's a piece of cake. In fact you can do it while it's on the game. Take out 4 screws on one side, 6 on the other. Heat gun off the old. Mask and spray paint black (if needed). Throw on the new ones. Exacto cut the holes and your done. Should be done in about an hour, maybe 2 if you have to wait for paint to dry.

depends how anal you want to be if you want to go the whole hog and do it properly it needs to come off specialy to screen the warning txt ;0)

#328 10 years ago

I got my game put back together this weekend, but still need to make a few adjustments. Unfortunately I don't have the tools to give the metal guides a proper treatment, and everything was done by hand. Here's my updated shop log.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/63zuy5bbol6ezhm/U2j5ORt2UX#/

I'm still rather new to pinball, and never gotten this deep into a game. I had a blast cleaning this up!

I'm trying to find the best place for a spotlight on the battlefield & trying to avoid the light pointing towards the player. For those of you with spotlights do you have any suggestions?

#329 10 years ago

Starting to save my money now so that I can join this club, hopefully in the spring... Even on the maybe for the alt translite. Hoping prices stay sane till then...

#330 10 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

I'm trying to find the best place for a spotlight on the battlefield & trying to avoid the light pointing towards the player. For those of you with spotlights do you have any suggestions?

I mounted two spots on the back corners of the battlefield, up under the back overhand pointing a little down at the playfield. From a normal player height you can't see them since they're hidden by the overhang, so they don't shine in your eyes. One has a red LED then other a yellow LED, so they're not overly harsh, just enough light that you can play the battlefield in a totally dark room if you wish.

#331 10 years ago

I got my game put back together this weekend, but still need to make a few adjustments. Unfortunately I don't have the tools to give the metal guides a proper treatment, and everything was done by hand. Here's my updated shop log.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/63zuy5bbol6ezhm/U2j5ORt2UX#/
I'm still rather new to pinball, and never gotten this deep into a game. I had a blast cleaning this up!

I built a small board and mounted 2 white leds on it. Works great and is out of the way.

photo_3.JPGphoto_3.JPG

#332 10 years ago

top view

IMG_3344.JPGIMG_3344.JPG

#333 10 years ago

Hey all,
Got a plating question. I am debating whether to have my ramps replated. I've seen some folks say they used brass plating, but I don't think there's a shop near me that will do that. Was planning to have the ramps get a clear powder coat after the plating to ensure longevity of the finish. Does that sound like a good idea? What else can I use other than brass? Here are the services offered by the more local company. Can I use zinc?

http://bbmetalfinishing.com/services

#334 10 years ago

Most antique restoration joints offer brass plating, in fact, you can do it at home

3 weeks later
#335 10 years ago

I'm in the club! Picked mine up last weekend. Needs a lot of work and hasn't been cleaned in over 12 yrs.! I'll post pics when it's done.

One problem I'm having; The wall target wont drop, but it does register hits and says "ball locked". I see there is a small coil that puts a pin through the target, but I can't seem to activate coils or flashers in the test menu. I've only spent a small amount of time on this so far.

Getting a lot of good ideas here!

IMG_0680.JPGIMG_0680.JPG IMG_0670.JPGIMG_0670.JPG IMG_0673.JPGIMG_0673.JPG

#336 10 years ago

Congrats on new machine!

Better get some limo tint for that window, or kiss all the red and yellow on your game goodby.

Use your meter and see if your coil has voltage.

#337 10 years ago

I should be in the club by tomorrow

#338 10 years ago
Quoted from RonB:

I'm in the club! Picked mine up last weekend. Needs a lot of work and hasn't been cleaned in over 12 yrs.! I'll post pics when it's done.
One problem I'm having; The wall target wont drop, but it does register hits and says "ball locked". I see there is a small coil that puts a pin through the target, but I can't seem to activate coils or flashers in the test menu. I've only spent a small amount of time on this so far.
Getting a lot of good ideas here!

Looks like mine when it turned up a year or so ago, I'm sure it will look nice when you clean it up

Re the wall target, mine did the same - check the long switch and spring on the mechanism underneath. Also make sure coin door is closed when you check coils etc in test menu.

Good luck!

#339 10 years ago
Quoted from Esoteric_rt:

Also make sure coin door is closed when you check coils etc in test menu.

Well then you wouldn't be able to go through the test menu, right? Just messin' with ya'!

I just got done figuring out you have to hold the coin door switch in to cycle through the coil and flasher testing. Faulty switch for the wall target, amongst about 6 others. Plus the Battlefield paddle moves fine one way but drags the other, giving another error message.

I do believe it'll look good after a full teardown and cleaning. It's still fun to play even with the dirt and errors, but only a little fun.

Quoted from vid1900:

Better get some limo tint for that window, or kiss all the red and yellow on your game goodby.

Even with the shades always closed?

Thanks for the tips guys!

#340 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I would just use UV protecting window film

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/protecting-pins-from-uv-sunlight-fade

#341 10 years ago

I swapped my normal purple flipper rubbers for the new Saturn Rings (fluorescent purple). I think I like them, need to get some more games in. I'll try and get a pic.

#342 10 years ago

Purple Saturn Rings:

image.jpgimage.jpg

#343 10 years ago

Picked one up a week or so ago and Im in love. Such a fun game!

I do have a few questions though. Sometimes the sanctum magnet throws the ball upwards or it just rattles around behind the standup target and never locks. Can you adjust magnet strength? Could the sanctum wear cause the ball to fly up? Just seeing if anyone else had this issue.

Also, I haven't been able to find under playfield parts for the phurbas. Im mostly looking for the arm that attaches to the double-sided plunger. It has quite a bit of wear and causes the phurba to bash into the side of the ramp.

IMG_0825.jpgIMG_0825.jpg

#344 10 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

Can you adjust magnet strength?

Yeah, you can wrench it up and down to adjust how close to the playfield it is, which will affect the strength.

#345 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, you can wrench it up and down to adjust how close to the playfield it is, which will affect the strength.

Awesome! Hopefully that has something to do with it. Its cranked up all the way to the top so Ill try adjusting it.

#346 10 years ago

The arm is available through Bay Area Amusements. I bought two new ones for $35 or so.

#347 10 years ago

Just got home from bringing in my new Shadow 1:30am lol

I have a lot to work on, but it should be ok. I don't have a manual, "Just ordered one". Was curious if anyone can tell me the part number for the Mongol switch "Circled in photo" need the entire switch with pad. As well, looks like someone cut the plastic frame around the battlefield. Rather than taking the plastic off to work on a switch they just F**king cut it off. Curious if that is available anyplace? If not I will clean it up and make a replacement side panel.

shadowknows.jpgshadowknows.jpg

#348 10 years ago

CRAP! lol - so this morning I turned the machine on, added the 3 balls. It keeps saying Balls Missing and won't kick a ball up to shoot. Anyone else ever have this problem?

#349 10 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

CRAP! lol - so this morning I turned the machine on, added the 3 balls. It keeps saying Balls Missing and won't kick a ball up to shoot. Anyone else ever have this problem?

First thing to check is the trough optos. Might need to reflow the solder or something. Did it work previously? Or is this the first time you tried it?

#350 10 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

The Shadow is a 5 ball game according to the user manual. I can't confirm or remember and not at home right now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 10,927 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 219.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.