Topic Stats

• 8,058 posts
  • 620 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by Buellxb12r
  • Topic is favorited by 215 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,226 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20210122_222856 (resized).jpg
20210122_222520 (resized).jpg
DF9A22C6-FC3A-4ED6-AA49-C8C55DB42B91 (resized).jpeg
618794C3-EE63-4410-B14E-AB075AB336A2 (resized).jpeg
TS 4 bank (resized).JPG
TS 4 bank optos (resized).JPG
Drop target assembly1 (resized).jpg
Drop target 1 (resized).jpg
20210118_182218 (resized).jpg
Shadow Mini-PF alignment (resized).jpg
20210119_101828 (resized).jpg
20210119_101843 (resized).jpg
TS kicker bracket - broken (resized).jpg
TS kicker bracket (resized).jpg
20210116_132654 (resized).jpg
20210116_132608 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 8058 posts in this topic. You are on page 68 of 162.
#3351 4 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

Does anyone know if the arm that attaches to the phirba divertor with the Allen screws that ratches back and forth on the coil plunger available?

Not really available. I ended up needing one when drilling out a stripped Allen screw went badly. I found one come up on Ebay by chance. They appear now and again, but I could not find them in stock at a retailer. Good luck, I hate those things now!

You are looking for this:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-18983

#3352 4 years ago

Rings?

Where to get? Impossible? When will PPS get someone to reproduce? In this day and age of cheap manufacturing and cheap costume jewelry, someone should be able to produce some metal ones as replacements.

I found a crack in one of my rings and the jewel popped out while shopping out my machine. Pretty sure I could super Glue it, but if anyone has one or two laying around, PM me.

#3353 4 years ago

IMG_5581 (resized).JPG

IMG_5580 (resized).JPG

#3354 4 years ago

I can stop bugging the local Pinsiders now that I got a Shadow. I put two spotlights on the playfield and one on the Battlefield. The cone that goes on the spotlight was too much of a distraction for me on the Battlefield, so after trying a bunch of colors I went with a flexible/bendie LED in red. My reasoning for using red is probably way over the top, but it's kinda to create a mood like in a stage production. Like if you were watching a performance of the Shadow in an old-time theater, they might cast red lighting to indicate a Battlefield scene.

I like how it really serves to cut off the Battlefield and draw attention to it as being completely separate and the fact that I don't notice the light source at all. Sure I lose the color of the art there, but the design is still visible and the orange inserts are still a bit of a contrast. I had a plain warm white light in the spot light but it just looked too plain--there wasn't much as far as interesting art to be featured up there. Not pictured is the Kenner Thunder cab topper.

20161211_162553 (resized).jpg

20161211_162541 (resized).jpg

20161211_162611 (resized).jpg

#3355 4 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

I can stop bugging the local Pinsiders now that I got a Shadow. I put two spotlights on the playfield and one on the Battlefield. The cone that goes on the spotlight was too much of a distraction for me on the Battlefield, so after trying a bunch of colors I went with a flexible/bendie LED in red. My reasoning for using red is probably way over the top, but it's kinda to create a mood like in a stage production. Like if you were watching a performance of the Shadow in an old-time theater, they might cast red lighting to indicate a Battlefield scene.
I like how it really serves to cut off the Battlefield and draw attention to it as being completely separate and the fact that I don't notice the light source at all. Sure I lose the color of the art there, but the design is still visible and the orange inserts are still a bit of a contrast. I had a plain warm white light in the spot light but it just looked too plain--there wasn't much as far as interesting art to be featured up there. Not pictured is the Kenner Thunder cab topper.

I like it. The red also creates unity with the scarf. Did you try it with green? Might work with like the eerie green eye in the old radio shows.

#3356 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I like it. The red also creates unity with the scarf. Did you try it with green? Might work with like the eerie green eye in the old radio shows.

I don't have a green bendie. I tried some kind of extra bright green LED and it didn't look as appropriate for the art deco style. I think the green was too light compared to Shadow's green. Also, a normal bulb up there is kinda distracting. With the bendie, it lays flat so I barely notice it. I went through the entire thread over the past month and your LED layout is the kind of style I'm looking to get. My machine came with bright natural white LED's under the slings and near the flippers which brought out the blue and purple there, but like you've said in your posts, warm white is more common for an art deco style. For now, I only have incandescents available to have a warm white look in those areas.

#3357 4 years ago

Your lit battlefield is nice, but when is someone gonna figure out how to only light the upper playfield when it is active?

A mod like that would probably sell to almost everyone who owns a Shadow.

#3358 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Your lit battlefield is nice, but when is someone gonna figure out how to only light the upper playfield when it is active?

Before doing this, I was looking for a thin, magnetic, motion-activated LED light strip. I found a few for $10 on Amazon that are about 5 inches wide and an inch deep that might've fit either at the front or to the right of the Battlefield, but it probably wouldn't have worked reliably enough.

amazon.com link »

Thoughts on that one?

#3359 4 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

I put two spotlights on the playfield and one on the Battlefield.

Thanks for sharing the pics. I'm actually interested in the ring lighting. Did you do that or did you get it that way? I still have the original, tiny and weak incandescents in there and I need to figure out something else. The ones on yours look pretty bright and even.

#3360 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

That would be very cool!

#3361 4 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

I don't have a green bendie. I tried some kind of extra bright green LED and it didn't look as appropriate for the art deco style. I think the green was too light compared to Shadow's green. Also, a normal bulb up there is kinda distracting. With the bendie, it lays flat so I barely notice it. I went through the entire thread over the past month and your LED layout is the kind of style I'm looking to get. My machine came with bright natural white LED's under the slings and near the flippers which brought out the blue and purple there, but like you've said in your posts, warm white is more common for an art deco style. For now, I only have incandescents available to have a warm white look in those areas.

I have green under the battlefield leaking through the cracks, but I really like the red up top and may give it a try. I worry that it may be too Christmasy, so I may try red up top and blue or purple underneath.

#3362 4 years ago
Quoted from JeffA:

Thanks for sharing the pics. I'm actually interested in the ring lighting. Did you do that or did you get it that way? I still have the original, tiny and weak incandescents in there and I need to figure out something else. The ones on yours look pretty bright and even.

It came that way. I don't know of anything special that was done to it--it lights up normal red, but looks blown out in the pictures.

Quoted from jonesjb:

I have green under the battlefield leaking through the cracks, but I really like the red up top and may give it a try. I worry that it may be too Christmasy, so I may try red up top and blue or purple underneath.

Maybe just white? Not sure which temperature, but two different colors back there might not look right.

#3363 4 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Before doing this, I was looking for a thin, magnetic, motion-activated LED light strip. I found a few for $10 on Amazon that are about 5 inches wide and an inch deep that might've fit either at the front or to the right of the Battlefield, but it probably wouldn't have worked reliably enough.
amazon.com link »
Thoughts on that one?

An interesting idea for sure. It's cheap enough to give it a shot.

There has gotta be someone clever enough to figure out how to work something out.

#3364 4 years ago

I don't really know much about electronics but when the battlefield motor is activated could you tap into the 20v, run it through a 7805 resistor, and have that power a 5v lamp?

#3365 4 years ago

As an owner of this game I highly, highly, highly recommend the colorDMD.

It looks too awesome to not have in there.

#3366 4 years ago
Quoted from BulkOfTheSeries:

As an owner of this game I highly, highly, highly recommend the colorDMD.
It looks too awesome to not have in there.

You have the LED or LCD? I want to see the LED

#3367 4 years ago
Quoted from cavalier88z24:

You have the LED or LCD? I want to see the LED

As others have said, the true vibrancy of the LED colors are not properly captured. It looks amazing and very bright in person.

Check the reflection of the red in the playfield glass to see how deep the red really looks.

20161111_155054 (resized).jpg
20161111_154817 (resized).jpg

#3368 4 years ago

Is the cityscape decal for the back section not available? I see a different version on ebay. Also, anyone have a spare green circle Sanctum decal? I pm'ed Trident over the weekend, but haven't heard from him.

#3369 4 years ago

I just finished clearing my playfield. Should I put a Mylar square right where the magnet stops the ball on the sanctum to prevent future wear?

#3370 4 years ago

Hello

I am searching for micro switches for the "lock area" in The Shadow.

The manual says : 55647-12073-32, 55647-12073-33 and 55647-12073-34.

Does anybody know where i can find it? or something similar to the originals?

Best regards
OH

#3371 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

An interesting idea for sure. It's cheap enough to give it a shot.
There has gotta be someone clever enough to figure out how to work something out.

one of our best bets on this was Art who used to own Comet before selling and retiring. i believe he was working on something in the past and still speaks closely with the current owners of Comet. Maybe he can get something going with them or put the idea in their heads to get it going

Quoted from patrickvc:

I just finished clearing my playfield. Should I put a Mylar square right where the magnet stops the ball on the sanctum to prevent future wear?

i would put a rectangle of mylar inside the full length of the sanctum area, not only where the magnet grabs but also behind that where the magnet throws it back

Quoted from superolav:

Hello
Best regards
OH

alot of the micro switches are the same switch body with different armatures to activate the switch. you may have to get a basic switch body and use the switch armature off the old one,

#3372 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

He doesn't get enough credit for the work he did, but here's to Luppin for finding better settings across the board that makes TS really sing as a player. If you haven't set up your Shadow with the Luppin Rules, you are missing out on a lot of what the Shadow has to offer.....
Three Cheers for Luppin!!!!

Link? Any particular post number to look at?
EDIT. Found it. I'm an idiot.

#3373 4 years ago

Also, I'm having a problem where the drop target for the battlefield doesn't come up or down during gameplay, but in test mode it will go up and down.... it's kind of driving me nuts.

Any ideas?

#3374 4 years ago
Quoted from damadczar:

Also, I'm having a problem where the drop target for the battlefield doesn't come up or down during gameplay, but in test mode it will go up and down.... it's kind of driving me nuts.
Any ideas?

The drop target is likely getting grimy.

#3375 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

How many people are interested in this? Are you willing to build your own boards? Or does it have to be plug and play?

#3376 4 years ago

I have an original Shadow manual and operators handbook for sale. SOLD.

shadow (resized).jpg

#3377 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

How many people are interested in this? Are you willing to build your own boards? Or does it have to be plug and play?

I'd say the simpler the better, but I'd be interested in either option. Do you happen to know if this would work?

Quoted from lpeters82:

I don't really know much about electronics but when the battlefield motor is activated could you tap into the 20v, run it through a 7805 resistor, and have that power a 5v lamp?

#3378 4 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Do you happen to know if this would work?

Quoted from lpeters82:

No because the (20volts) 12volts positive and negative voltage are reversed back and forth on the same pair of wires going to the motor. But there are other ways.

#3379 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

I'd be in at a reasonable cost. I'd prefer plug and play, since I solder like a moron. Maybe consider a finished version and a kit version.

#3380 4 years ago

What about when the signal is taken for the motordrive, in this example 'motor-right', let that activate a timer for about 3 sec. ?!
At the moment the motor is driven to the right, the light goes 'ON' and after 2 seconds no movement, lights 'OFF'

timer 555.jpg

#3381 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Plug and play is preferred.

But If you can make a working prototype, I'd be willing to build my own board provided there were clear instructions on what components to buy, and how to assemble and install.

#3382 4 years ago
Quoted from superolav:

Hello
Best regards
OH

This appears to be the correct switch. I just had that section all apart about 5 times so it is still fresh on my mind.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1994

FYI, I had a pesky lock problem with the third ball lock. It was intermittent. No amount of tweaking or adjusting the switches would solve my problem. I found the fix. The metal ball guide that forms the upper side of the chute for the lock needed adjustment. I had to remove the large orange plastic above the lock, loosen the screw for the ball guide, and while pushing the guide downward toward the lock switches, re-tighten the screw. Works perfectly now.

#3383 4 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

What about when the signal is taken for the motordrive, in this example 'motor-right', let that activate a timer for about 3 sec. ?!

I was thinking the same but with an opto isolator in between for just what if.

#3384 4 years ago
Quoted from damadczar:

Link? Any particular post number to look at?
EDIT. Found it. I'm an idiot.

For others who are looking for the Luppin Rules:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-luppin-rules

#3385 4 years ago

Thanx for tips guys

@#PunkPin #LOTR_breath

#3386 4 years ago

I just did a run of my Shadow translites, have a few unclaimed if anyone is looking for one. Shoot me a PM.

#3387 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Like others I prefer a plug-n-play solution (I don't mind soldering though).

That having been said, I'm not sure what others are thinking, but all I'm looking for is a 6 (or 12) volt line that powers up when the playfield is active. That way I can pick the lighting I want. Not sure if that's what others had in mind or not when they say "plug-n-play."

I haven't spent much time looking into a solution, so curious what you have in mind!

#3388 4 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

I haven't spent much time looking into a solution, so curious what you have in mind!

This is what I'm going to do, build a board that can be connected in between J-1 and the motor control board A-16120 with a Z connector. The board will get its 12 volt power and ground and the TIP signal to activate all from J-1. I was going to have an opto isolator input and a adjustable delay relay output. This way any lighting voltage can be used such as 6.3 ac GI or 12volt dc. I was thinking of installing Comet matrix cables to the relay input and output so that it would be a plug and play setup for any type of lighting that anyone wanted to use. If there are any other ideas that need to be added let me know.

#3389 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I just did a run of my Shadow translites, have a few unclaimed if anyone is looking for one. Shoot me a PM.

Payment sent. I sure think The Shadow is going to be a keeper. Can someone point me in the direction of the recommended LED layout with the new translight? I thought I remembered seeing something posted earlier. Thank you.

#3390 4 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Payment sent. I sure think The Shadow is going to be a keeper. Can someone point me in the direction of the recommended LED layout with the new translight? I thought I remembered seeing something posted earlier. Thank you.

I just use cool white, with a couple of flex heads to help light the title a little more evenly. Not a fan of colored lights, but of course everyone is welcome to light it however makes them happy.

I think I'm down to only one left now, I'll have to go count and make sure when I pack up these recent orders.

#3391 4 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I chose to add color for the Red Scarf, and Green in "The Shadow".
What I did different, is I added 2 Headed Color Changing Flux bulbs in the city line area on either side.
It gives the illusion of Chaos and activity in the background, and the flex heads allow for the positioning and brightness.

#3392 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

This is what I'm going to do, build a board that can be connected in between J-1 and the motor control board A-16120 with a Z connector. The board will get its 12 volt power and ground and the TIP signal to activate all from J-1. I was going to have an opto isolator input and a adjustable delay relay output. This way any lighting voltage can be used such as 6.3 ac GI or 12volt dc. I was thinking of installing Comet matrix cables to the relay input and output so that it would be a plug and play setup for any type of lighting that anyone wanted to use. If there are any other ideas that need to be added let me know.

Should work fine. I might suggest testing a Frosted Strip on the Metal Bracket facing backward, or ask Ryan in an email about the 45 degree or Stadium Lighting strip....this can look amazing in the right usage...micro thin, and 2 brightness of light in 2 directions....

#3393 4 years ago

Just joined the club yesterday and ordered Aurich's translite (lucky timing). What a great game. Been looking for one for a while.

This one has been in the same home since 1999 and hasn't seen a lot of play during that time. Everything including cab and inside is just minty (slightest fading by the sanctum) with Mylar over it.

It'll get LEDs and a color dmd sooner or later.

IMG_2308 (resized).JPG

IMG_2307 (resized).JPG

IMG_2309 (resized).JPG

#3394 4 years ago

Can someone tell me where this goes?

IMG_0588 (resized).JPG

#3395 4 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

Can someone tell me where this goes?

It screws into the bottom of the Battlefield. There are holes for the screws in the bracket that holds the drop target assembly. You'll notice that the steel rail around the orbit has a cutout; this is where the plastic sits once the Battlefield is lowered.

Sorry for no photos, I can't find my USB cable.

#3396 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

...but when is someone gonna figure out how to only light the upper playfield when it is active?

Seems you could probably hack some wires off the high power as it is being sent to the upper play field flipper--just need to verify the power only comes when the machine thinks the ball is up there. Tap in to the high power line, through a resistor, through some LEDS, and back through the ground?

Another thought, and I'm no electrical engineer, but couldn't you use a transistor?

If the high power is running to the upper play field, the transistor would let the GI current flow through to the lights on the upper play field.

#3397 4 years ago
Quoted from Circus_Animal:

It screws into the bottom of the Battlefield. There are holes for the screws in the bracket that holds the drop target assembly. You'll notice that the steel rail around the orbit has a cutout; this is where the plastic sits once the Battlefield is lowered.
Sorry for no photos, I can't find my USB cable.

Thankyou for your help. It's the only thing I didn't have a picture of when I took it all apart

#3398 4 years ago
Quoted from soapblox:

Seems you could probably hack some wires off the high power as it is being sent to the upper play field flipper--just need to verify the power only comes when the machine thinks the ball is up there. Tap in to the high power line, through a resistor, through some LEDS, and back through the ground?
Another thought, and I'm no electrical engineer, but couldn't you use a transistor?
If the high power is running to the upper play field, the transistor would let the GI current flow through to the lights on the upper play field.

I think it was already mentioned that it won't be that easy. If I understand correctly, when the paddle is moved in one direction +12vdc is applied. When it moves in the other direction -12vdc is applied.

#3399 4 years ago

I'm in - again. Hey I really like this machine!

Aurich - any chance of a re-run?

#3400 4 years ago
Quoted from frg:

I'm in - again. Hey I really like this machine!
Aurich - any chance of a re-run?

Yeah, I can run a few more with another order I need to make. I'll update when I figure the details.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pittsburgh, PA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
There are 8058 posts in this topic. You are on page 68 of 162.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside