IMG_0517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0701 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0513 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1404 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1405 (resized).JPEG
IMG_7706 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,927 posts in this topic. You are on page 61 of 219.
#3001 7 years ago

Anyone have spare plastics for sale? They can be used. Need the plastic that are around the left ramp and extend under the Battlefield. Also the long plastic on the right side of the playfield that the wireforms go over.

#3002 7 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Do you mind sharing who are you sending them to for plating and what is the cost?

I can help you out on this.

Pinball Plating and More
Ron Woodard
[email protected]
615-406-0204

#3003 7 years ago

I recently got the second Shadow that I've owned. This one is just about as nice if not nicer than my first, which I swore I would never sell and did. I played it a few days and then tore it down for complete shop. The flippers were freshly rebuilt so I managed to skip that. But other than that it got the full treatment: all PF metal tumbled, all stainless rails regrained then buffed, plastics ultrasonic'd, new rubbers and balls, etc. The PF was stripped completely on top so I polished and waxed it. Then I LED'd it exactly the same as my last one. I'm very happy with how it came out.

IMG_1858 (resized).jpgIMG_1858 (resized).jpg

IMG_1859 (resized).jpgIMG_1859 (resized).jpg

IMG_1862 (resized).jpgIMG_1862 (resized).jpg

IMG_1864 (resized).jpgIMG_1864 (resized).jpg

IMG_1863 (resized).jpgIMG_1863 (resized).jpg

IMG_1865 (resized).jpgIMG_1865 (resized).jpg

IMG_1860 (resized).jpgIMG_1860 (resized).jpg

IMG_1867 (resized).jpgIMG_1867 (resized).jpg

#3005 7 years ago
Quoted from TheCount:

I recently got the second Shadow that I've owned. This one is just about as nice if not nicer than my first, which I swore I would never sell and did. I played it a few days and then tore it down for complete shop. The flippers were freshly rebuilt so I managed to skip that. But other than that it got the full treatment: all PF metal tumbled, all stainless rails regrained then buffed, plastics ultrasonic'd, new rubbers and balls, etc. The PF was stripped completely on top so I polished and waxed it. Then I LED'd it exactly the same as my last one. I'm very happy with how it came out.

This was my machine and absolutely the best title I've owned. I kept it pretty clean but you have taken it to another level. You did probably the most tasteful LED job I've seen on this thread. Treat it good, it's a solid machine.

FYI to Pinside: TheCount was a pleasure to deal with. Knows his stuff, drove a long way to get this, and didn't try to tire kick when he got here. All around nice guy and I wouldn't hesitate to buy or sell from/to him again.

#3006 7 years ago

Hi, I read before, both in this thread and others, that some people tried a modified switch for the left ramp right diverted, in order to consistently detect the ball going through. I tried slightly curving the stock switch, and things slightly improved, but when a ball moves very fast my switch still often fails to detect the ball.

What is the best way to solve this problem? Which type of switch should be used?

I found this on ebay: is this good? is it a standard switch, or a modified one? :

ebay.com link: Shadow pinball Left ramp switch fix to stop air balls missing made shots

#3007 7 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

This was my machine and absolutely the best title I've owned. I kept it pretty clean but you have taken it to another level. You did probably the most tasteful LED job I've seen on this thread. Treat it good, it's a solid machine.
FYI to Pinside: TheCount was a pleasure to deal with. Knows his stuff, drove a long way to get this, and didn't try to tire kick when he got here. All around nice guy and I wouldn't hesitate to buy or sell from/to him again.

I played that Shadow at the local show last year and agree. It was fantastic. It convinced me that I wanted a Shadow for myself. Wish I knew it was for sale earlier since it would of saved me a lot of trouble getting my Shadow. I would say you got a pretty good deal, Count.

#3008 7 years ago

Of all the games Ive had, if I had to keep only one game for doing everything in a way that provides endless challenge and entertainment, it would be, The Shadow!

#3009 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Of all the games Ive had, if I had to keep only one game for doing everything in a way that provides endless challenge and entertainment, it would be, The Shadow!

I say that about my Shadow all the time...I let my HEP-AFM go over it...and a myriad of others (SStiff, JD, WWind, TSPP..and on) ...plus I lucked out and got it when it was a lowly title (for god knows what reason)....and it is, I'd say an 8 out of 10 in condition.....paid $1600.....thus I tell the wife, it'd be the last pin standing because the value to play-ability ratio is off the charts....

#3010 7 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I played that Shadow at the local show last year and agree. It was fantastic. It convinced me that I wanted a Shadow for myself. Wish I knew it was for sale earlier since it would of saved me a lot of trouble getting my Shadow. I would say you got a pretty good deal, Count.

Yeah, I tried to keep it local but our timing was just off. Wasn't just you, several locals contacted me only days after it left. That's the way it goes. If I ever decide that I want to keep machines in the house again, I'm going to regret letting it go. It won't be cheap to get one in a couple more years.

#3011 7 years ago

Not sure Shadow is a long term keeper yet. I finally got the game setup like I wanted with leds, spotlights, lit star posts, and Titan rubbers. The reinforced targets sure help air balls and believe I have the reset problems under control. Gameplay is just frustrating most of the time. It's really hard to get ball under control and even good shots result in drains. Starting modes is hard and the ball often fails to stick in scoop. I get a lot of stuck balls, too. Still, I keep coming back and hitting the start button. When I do complete a mode or have a good mb it feels like I really accomplished something.

#3012 7 years ago

You are right jawjaw, its a tough game....a couple years in, and I still havent completed all the modes, or can cradle the ball and land a shot all the time.....I think thats why I love it!

I can have a good game, a great game, and 2 weeks of crappy games.
Its a beast, that I dont have to depend on gimmicks or heavy code...(Which I love as well)

It gets played more than TZ, RS, WH20, because its always a challenge for me.

I had a friend over yesterday, played one game, and kicked its ass, game 2, same....So maybe its me too,
I cant get the game to roll, as others do.

Yet, this same player, is having a tougher time with Star Trek, which I find easier.....weird, huh?

How a game can be easy or hard in the shots, depending on the player.

but Shadow......man, I know its right, when I start playing the game in my dreams.....

#3013 7 years ago

Threw some green EL wire on the shooter wireform. It turned out OK. Used minimal hot glue to glue it on. Looks cool, but the light is very subtle compared to everything else going on.

IMG_20160829_005731 (resized).jpgIMG_20160829_005731 (resized).jpgIMG_20160829_005740 (resized).jpgIMG_20160829_005740 (resized).jpg

#3014 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I can have a good game, a great game, and 2 weeks of crappy games.

THIS.

I was feeling like i finally leveled up with my skills on this game because i made it to the final battle 3 times in a weekend. I haven't had a game over 500MM in the 2 weeks since then and most under 200. This game kicks my ass over and over and over. But so much fun.

#3015 7 years ago

My game is set to three ball. I completed all the scenes yesterday and missed completing the battlefield by one freaking target. Would have hit wizard mode which is near impossible with three ball on this game. One freaking target.

#3016 7 years ago

I love soooo much my Shadow, amazing endless fun. It will never ever leave no doubt.

I agree its a tough game, but definitely not the most difficult either. When I got it was also nearly unplayable: drains after drains afetr drains in few seconds. The game needs to be set up properly, and in my case changing to all BLACK rubbers was the most effective change.

Regarding the mods, I increased the timing for each of them: such a pleasure to play them without having to shoot fastly getting exposed to randomness and un-strategic risk. With longer mode time, it's still VERY had to complete modes: but you can skillfully try to go for it setting up and choosing the right time to shoot, avoiding extreme risks. With this sofware configuration the game is really ABSOLUTE PERFECTION.

Another very important change: increase ball lock time during multiball (I think mine is around 22 secs): then you have first to shoot for the holes (again, having enough time to avoid stupid shots very risky), and then go for the jackpots. Especially in Shadow Multiball it's amazing when the Sanctum is open and you have to shoot there first, in order to get the ball released and then try to go for an inner loop shot (jackpot), while another ball(s) is locked in the hole for around 20 secs. And if you get the Jackpot the locked ball is released and you want to lock it again.. Multiball become a whole new game with a competely new flow and dynamics, and not just super fast semi-random shooting hoping for balls getting the jackpots semi-randomly while at best trying to trap the ball with the flipper..

#3017 7 years ago
Quoted from grandy:

Aurich, where did you get these wooden grips made? Ever since you posted this i keep thinking about it. Please share source and info if you can. Thanks!

They were made by someone in the UK named Manny, he's a friend of Andrew Heighway's, did some chrome work for a Full Throttle I think, which is how I came in touch with him. I saw a pair he did and asked if he'd send to the US and he was happy to.

Only way I know to contact him is FB: https://www.facebook.com/WoodTECH.co.uk

#3018 7 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

My game is set to three ball. I completed all the scenes yesterday and missed completing the battlefield by one freaking target. Would have hit wizard mode which is near impossible with three ball on this game. One freaking target.

Getting to Final Battle is the easy part. Completing it is the killer.

#3019 7 years ago
Quoted from Circus_Animal:

Getting to Final Battle is the easy part. Completing it is the killer.

I still haven't, closest I've come is I think 4 shots away.

#3020 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I still haven't, closest I've come is I think 4 shots away.

I made it to final battle once, did really well kept nailing shots, and kept the balls alive for a long time, but try as I might, I couldn't finish. When I finally lost my second to last ball, I noticed which two shots I missed... Two ramp shots... I forgot to hit each diverter! Very silly way to lose!

#3021 7 years ago

Final Battle seems impossible to me. I'm terrible at the battlefield and even starting a mode is not easy. Adjusting settings like Luppin suggested did help, at least in the enjoyment factor. The ball just seems bouncy in the game. Often I try to catch the ball on the flipper but it bounces up, gets in the slings, and rockets down the outlane. MB is often laughably short. Still, like Art I have a great game here and there where the game shines. My best scores are usually when I get in a rhythm nailing ramp shots. What I enjoy doing mostly now is going for shadow loops and getting the combo value up. Love how the callouts for combos! It's pretty cool how many different ways you can play the game. Go for combos, vengeance, modes, multiballs, or even battlefield. I don't know if the game is a keeper or not but it's definitely not going anywhere for a while.

#3022 7 years ago

Yes, it's difficult to trap the ball in TS, very often it's not possible. You can try only when the ball is coming from certain directions at certain speed. Definitely not when the ball is rolling down the inlanes, even quite slowly.

I manage to have pretty long ball times, sometimes even MB last a while. You have to learn the shots to avoid. The biggest offender is the left ramp: never shoot at it! Unless ball saver is on (skill shot or upper target), or when the ball is trapped on the right flipper or is moving very slow. I can also shoot at it (backhand) when the ball is trapped on the left flipper (the ramp must be left diverted to make it). Of course it's fun to go for Vengeance/Super Vengeance and keep trying to go for ramps. Sometimes I play like that too, but again: shoot a fast coming ball to the left ramp and you get punished often.
Basically when the ball is on the right flipper the bread and butter shot is the left orbit: this is also not an easy shot (yes, TS is hard!), but I believe it is essential to master it to do well in this game. It works fine even if not perfectly done: the ball does not make the orbit and comes back down, but it stays safe.

In TS it's also imperative to be good at dead catches: this is a way to reduce the risk when the ball is coming fast. Maybe you cannot catch it completely, but you can manage at least to reduce the speed and then shoot it back immediately in a safer way.

So, forget the left ramp for a while and see if there is some improvement.

About the Battlefield: I can say I mastered it. I repeatedly managed to complete it in one go (even from 70). In the beginning I position the kicker "half ball" away from the right end before the VUK throw the ball in the battlefield. In this way more than half of the space is covered. I almost do not move the kicker, the balls most of the time goes towards the right or the center area, so I do not even have to do nothing. When the ball goes to the extreme right is the best: the kicker (positioned as explained) barely manage to push the ball, so that the ball slows down a lot and then it's much easier to follow it. Yes, not so fun, but effective. Anyway it's impossible to keep hitting the ball with the edges of the kicker, so it will soon start to move fast again. But if you manage to do it sometimes, it slows things down and it helps recovering the control. Obviously the ball goes also to the left side sometimes, so you have to be alert to move there. But after hitting, go back to the explained starting position (unless the ball is hit straight up the battlefield, then of course its obvious it will be back on the left). It takes lots of practice, but I do not think the battlefield is super hard.

#3023 7 years ago

..and yes, the Final Battle is impossible!

#3024 7 years ago

Wireforms are back from Chris at hotrodarcade.com

Shiny and new now!!

Before is the 1st pic obviously.

20160823_125829 (resized).jpg20160823_125829 (resized).jpg

20160901_111141 (resized).jpg20160901_111141 (resized).jpg

#3025 7 years ago

Who has the best price for backbox decals? I'd like to replace mine if I can find a set for well under $100.

#3026 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Who has the best price for backbox decals? I'd like to replace mine if I can find a set for well under $100.

PPS at $99 was the best price I could find.

#3027 7 years ago

Proud new member of the club but need some advise on a few issues I'm experiencing:

1. Ball drops out of mini playfield and lands south of the wireform on the plastic and stays there. There is a shield on that plastic but I think it might be installed backwards. I have to pull the glass to get the ball out of this location

2. Ball drops out of mini playfield and lands on wireform and stops. For some reason that area of the track must be pretty level. I have the rear of the machine at max and front set as low as possible so my pitch should be ok. Also the machine is leveled left/right

3. Ball launch hits the entrance of the U-turn where it goes from headed north to headed south and gets rejected back to plunger sometimes it takes 3-4 times before it makes it onto the playfield.

Thanks for any tips or ideas.

#3028 7 years ago
Quoted from Walleyefisher:

Proud new member of the club but need some advise on a few issues I'm experiencing:
1. Ball drops out of mini playfield and lands south of the wireform on the plastic and stays there. There is a shield on that plastic but I think it might be installed backwards. I have to pull the glass to get the ball out of this location
2. Ball drops out of mini playfield and lands on wireform and stops. For some reason that area of the track must be pretty level. I have the rear of the machine at max and front set as low as possible so my pitch should be ok. Also the machine is leveled left/right
3. Ball launch hits the entrance of the U-turn where it goes from headed north to headed south and gets rejected back to plunger sometimes it takes 3-4 times before it makes it onto the playfield.

When the ball falls out of the upper playfield, you need to move the paddle back and forth to flush out the ball. I had tons of stuck balls until I got in the habit of doing this. I still get a lot of stuck balls from air balls or whatever. I have had balls get stuck on the ramp like you mentioned. Mine also love to get stuck on top of the drop targets. Other than getting the right pitch and level, not sure what you can do.

With your ball launch, I would roll a ball up there by hand and test outside of a game. Might want to check the coil and see if it is the correct one. Too powerful maybe? Also check to make sure the plunger is making contact on the center of the ball.

#3029 7 years ago
Quoted from Walleyefisher:

1. The shield directly below the wireform should be too close to the wireform for the ball to get stuck between them. It should almost touch the ball as it rolls down the wireform behind the diverter.
2. The wireform is kinked or dimpled right before it turns to head down the playfield. That is likely where your ball stops. Make sure your PF is level from side to side. Us a free phone app that tuns the phone into a leveler to do this if you don't have a real level. Also make sure that there are no washers under the wireform's mount on the left side by that turn. It should be sitting directly on top of the black metal stud mount with no washer underneath.
3. Check your game pitch with the phone app I referred to. Set it to 6.5-ish and make sure you are still level from side to side. Then retest if you had more pitch than 6.5 and see if the issue is gone. I have seen a Shadow set up so steep that making it all the way up that ramp would take a couple tries sometimes. Other than that do what jawjaw suggested.

#3030 7 years ago

Thank you for the responses

#3031 7 years ago

I never get tired of hearing. The Shadow knows.....

#3032 7 years ago

Is there a way to grow the jackpot value, either before or during the multiballs? I'm not referring to the double or triple jackpot, but the actual amount.

#3033 7 years ago

Khan multiball jackpot increases by 100K with each Khan rollover during multiball. I'm not aware of any way to increase Shadow multiball jackpot.

I really don't find either of these multiballs very useful. A super jackpot is worth the same as super vengeance, but much harder to get.

#3034 7 years ago

Hi All,
Anyone have an extra Phurba dagger for sale? Online stores appear to be out at the moment.
ShopRat

Added over 8 years ago: I could also use the large left Mogul plastic.

#3035 7 years ago

Khan multiball jackpot increases by 100K with each Khan rollover during multiball. I'm not aware of any way to increase Shadow multiball jackpot.
I really don't find either of these multiballs very useful. A super jackpot is worth the same as super vengeance, but much harder to get.

yes, superjackpots are very hard to get. well, also supervengeance pretty hard, but not that much. superjackpots should be worhted twice as much.

#3036 7 years ago

A problem on the battlefield: when I hit a LATERAL target, the hit is detected and counted (-1 shot to complete the battlefield). That's fine. The problem is that the relative light, initially blinking, should then stay firmly lit after the target is hit (each time you complete all lights the scoring for completing the battlefield increases). But one of my lateral target light keep flashing even after the target has been hit (and detected and counted).

#3037 7 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

A problem on the battlefield: when I hit a LATERAL target, the hit is detected and counted (-1 shot to complete the battlefield). That's fine. The problem is that the relative light, initially blinking, should then stay firmly lit after the target is hit (each time you complete all lights the scoring for completing the battlefield increases). But one of my lateral target light keep flashing even after the target has been hit (and detected and counted).

Pay closer attention. Each time you hit a target on the battlefield, the targets change-- it increases your chance of actually hitting all of the targets, as they eventually all rotate past the drop targets. It would be nearly impossible to complete all of the targets if they remained stationary-- those lower side ones would remain unhit almost all of the time.

#3038 7 years ago

I mean, the goal is to have all lights stationary, right? So you are saying that if I hit a target, its light is not necessary going to become stationary? But another one?

#3039 7 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

I mean, the goal is to have all lights stationary, right? So you are saying that if I hit a target, its light is not necessary going to become stationary? But another one?

The goal is to light all of the lights. If you hit a particular target *A* light is registered, but it will move with each time you hit a target (or when the ball crosses the optos- not sure how that logic is programmed), which increases your chance of hitting all of the flashing targets and locking them on.

#3040 7 years ago

I would love to join this club!Does anyone know where I can buy a nice Shadow?

#3041 7 years ago

Ok, I took the glass off and checked. Do not know if my machine has a problem or this is the normal behaviour, anyway this is what happens on my TS:

First of all: there are 10 lights and 11 targets, so clearly not all targets are related to the light in front of them. Also, the lights in the top corners are "in front" of both the frontal and the lateral targets..

Anyway, on my machine the frontal central lights work as expected, as basically do the left column lights. The strange behaviour is with the right column lights: when hitting the extreme right frontal target.. the right column BOTTOM light become stationary! And when hitting the right column bottom target.. the FRONTAL extreme right light become stationary! For the single light without a target in front (where the ball is ejected on the battlefield) I think you have to hit any right column target.

Is this normal behaviour? I am a bit puzzled especially about the two top and bottom right column lights, that look like working "inversely".

I really would like to understand how exactly it works (or if my machine have an issue) because understanding how it works is crucial during the Final Battle. I am very good at the Battlefield, I can even somehow manage to direct the ball on certain targets. Often, during the Final Battle, only one light is left on the Battlefield and time is very limited. So it would be very beneficial to know in advance where exactly to aim at.

#3042 7 years ago

I'll have to confirm this (I'll take the glass off too!) as I have only gotten to final battle a handful of times, but as I recollect, only the drop targets are active then, and the lit one rotates, so it's not like you have a single target you can set up to hit... you basically need to be prepared to hit any of the drops.

#3043 7 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

I love soooo much my Shadow, amazing endless fun. It will never ever leave no doubt.
I agree its a tough game, but definitely not the most difficult either. When I got it was also nearly unplayable: drains after drains afetr drains in few seconds. The game needs to be set up properly, and in my case changing to all BLACK rubbers was the most effective change.
Regarding the mods, I increased the timing for each of them: such a pleasure to play them without having to shoot fastly getting exposed to randomness and un-strategic risk. With longer mode time, it's still VERY had to complete modes: but you can skillfully try to go for it setting up and choosing the right time to shoot, avoiding extreme risks. With this sofware configuration the game is really ABSOLUTE PERFECTION.
Another very important change: increase ball lock time during multiball (I think mine is around 22 secs): then you have first to shoot for the holes (again, having enough time to avoid stupid shots very risky), and then go for the jackpots. Especially in Shadow Multiball it's amazing when the Sanctum is open and you have to shoot there first, in order to get the ball released and then try to go for an inner loop shot (jackpot), while another ball(s) is locked in the hole for around 20 secs. And if you get the Jackpot the locked ball is released and you want to lock it again.. Multiball become a whole new game with a competely new flow and dynamics, and not just super fast semi-random shooting hoping for balls getting the jackpots semi-randomly while at best trying to trap the ball with the flipper..

I usually try to keep it original and I kinda like how TS kicks my ass again and again, but this made me curious.

Played around with the setting as you recommend and it really adds to the game. Especially the longer ball lock time is great!
It doesn't make the game easier to play, but it helps you achieve more goals and lets you play out your strategy much better than on factory. Good stuff!

#3044 7 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

I usually try to keep it original and I kinda like how TS kicks my ass again and again, but this made me curious.
Played around with the setting as you recommend and it really adds to the game. Especially the longer ball lock time is great!
It doesn't make the game easier to play, but it helps you achieve more goals and lets you play out your strategy much better than on factory. Good stuff!

I also used to be very conservative about everything in pinball, including software settings. I wanted to be a pinball wizard in the exact same conditions as a gameroom in the old times!

But after playing extensively and deeply studying all the rules, I realized that standard settings really, in most machines, were programmed to... herm... make money, and other settings would have fit much better for home play! But as you see in certain areas (video mode for example but not only) I chose harder settings, so it depends. What is really amazing is the very wide spectrum of software settings available, that open many possibilities really. I believe that in the old days operators did not spend much time on understanding all those subtleties. Maybe they were selecting the overall easy/medium/hard settings in the Utilities menu, but didnt go in depth perfectly weighting all the rules. Actually I suspect also not many players understood all this depth when machines were basically played only on location. But all this depth is available, since the beginning!! So it looks like the producers and designers felt that at some point somebody, at home, decades later, would have explored very deeply all the small nuances...! )

Pinball machines never stop to surprise really. What a great hobby!!

#3045 7 years ago

here my settings:

- Farley scene: 23 secs (this one shorter than default, here you want to reach the battlefield and hit few targets and the job is done or almost; 30 secs or more too easy to get to the battlefield and finish the mode)
- Guilty scene: 50 secs
- Sphere scene: 55 secs
- Escape scene: 45.000.000 (around 60 secs)
- Multi lock timer: 25 secs
- Mongol Hurry Up: extra hard (too easy otherwise and you get it too often)
- Battlefield level: 04 (starts at 50, enough challange since the beginning)
- Hotel ball save: 10 secs (a very hard multiball mode, divided in two parts. A slightly longer ball save time helps to reach the interesting second part (still pretty hard), otherwise you will not see it probably at all!
- Khan lit memory: NO (YES is too easy, you manage to get it even without aiming at it)
- Central hit ball save: YES (unfair drains otherwise)
- Who knows extra ball memory and skill shot extra ball memory: NO (awarded randomly, so you have been lucky! get the extra ball with the existing ball, otherwise you are asking for too much luck!)
- Extra ball percent: OFF

I checked my percentage of completing modes and they are around 4% to 8%: so it's still very tough to complete scenes, but the difference is I try it using skills and smart shots, keeping the ball under control. And not trying to shoot super fast hoping in a lucky series of shots, while getting instead many drains - hence stopping trying to complete scenes.
In this way the game is constantly super interesting, because you are constantly on your toes building up different tasks. And they all contribute building a high score, in a really balanced way.
Try and learn the subtleties of playing the game in this way: it's just amazing!

#3046 7 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Is there a way to grow the jackpot value, either before or during the multiballs? I'm not referring to the double or triple jackpot, but the actual amount.

When you're in Shadow multiball, you can shoot a ball into one or both of the saucers. They will be held for a short time (10 seconds or so by default). Hitting the loop with the balls in the saucers increases the jackpot value.

#3047 7 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

here my settings:
- Farley scene: 23 secs (this one shorter than default, here you want to reach the battlefield and hit few targets and the job is done or almost; 30 secs or more too easy to get to the battlefield and finish the mode)
- Guilty scene: 50 secs
- Sphere scene: 55 secs
- Escape scene: 45.000.000 (around 60 secs)
- Multi lock timer: 25 secs
- Mongol Hurry Up: extra hard (too easy otherwise and you get it too often)
- Battlefield level: 04 (starts at 50, enough challange since the beginning)
- Hotel ball save: 10 secs (a very hard multiball mode, divided in two parts. A slightly longer ball save time helps to reach the interesting second part (still pretty hard), otherwise you will not see it probably at all!
- Khan lit memory: NO (YES is too easy, you manage to get it even without aiming at it)
- Central hit ball save: YES (unfair drains otherwise)
- Who knows extra ball memory and skill shot extra ball memory: NO (awarded randomly, so you have been lucky! get the extra ball with the existing ball, otherwise you are asking for too much luck!)
- Extra ball percent: OFF
I checked my percentage of completing modes and they are around 4% to 8%: so it's still very tough to complete scenes, but the difference is I try it using skills and smart shots, keeping the ball under control. And not trying to shoot super fast hoping in a lucky series of shots, while getting instead many drains - hence stopping trying to complete scenes.
In this way the game is constantly super interesting, because you are constantly on your toes building up different tasks. And they all contribute building a high score, in a really balanced way.
Try and learn the subtleties of playing the game in this way: it's just amazing!

This is a great post, thanks for sharing. My instinct has always to keep the settings in default, as though not doing so meant that I was copping out as a pinball player. However after reading your post, I reconsider... I was thinking about it, your changes don't make it any easier to get to final battle wizard mode (so it's not cheating). Shadow's modes don't need to be completed, just played... So this works, it brings some more strategy into the gameplay, in areas that are only nuanced in standard play (locking balls during multiball, hotel ball save extension). Final battle is just as hard to reach, all this does is shift the indexing on your pinball machine.

Now if there was a pin that had timed modes that need to be completed, this would be another story.

What do others think?

#3048 7 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

I really would like to understand how exactly it works (or if my machine have an issue) because understanding how it works is crucial during the Final Battle. I am very good at the Battlefield, I can even somehow manage to direct the ball on certain targets. Often, during the Final Battle, only one light is left on the Battlefield and time is very limited. So it would be very beneficial to know in advance where exactly to aim at.

I'm pretty sure that during Final Battle they don't move, you actually have to hit every target.

#3049 7 years ago

I'm pretty sure that during Final Battle they don't move, you actually have to hit every target.

Yes, it's like that. But I am trying to understand which targets to aim at, according to the lights still blinking. And it looks to me that on the right column the logic is not straightforward.

#3050 7 years ago

Normally I keep settings close to default but Shadow really needs tweaking. Timers on most modes are pretty short which makes them impossible to finish. I like added ball saves to help cheap drain frustrations and longer mb ball locks to make mb more enjoyable. I got a triple jackpot this last weekend which would of been extremely tough on stock settings. It's still hard so feels good getting it. I also got a super jackpot last night. That was awesome! It's still a tough game even with easier settings. It just feels a bit more balanced now where I can actually complete things in the game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,927 posts in this topic. You are on page 61 of 219.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club/page/61?hl=djshakes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.