Topic Stats

• 6,671 posts
  • 558 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 hours ago by woody76
  • Topic is favorited by 193 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,772 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200120_162300 (resized).jpg
20200116_225418 (resized).jpg
20200116_225424 (resized).jpg
flip (resized).JPG
30003602 (resized).jpg
20200111_122439 (resized).jpg
20191216_121908 (resized).jpg
20200115_131749 (resized).jpg
shadow (resized).JPG
15790437858503837468966734949378 (resized).jpg
15790297376603489976081907527026 (resized).jpg
Shadow-LockArea-WithoutPlastics(but1guideRemoved) (resized).jpg
Shadow-LockArea-WithPlastics (resized).jpg
IMG_8567 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8565 (resized).jpeg
Shadoiw High Scoire Adjustments (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6671 posts in this topic. You are on page 60 of 134.
#2951 3 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

How to install those 12 set? I mean, usually the plastic protectors are installed UNDER the plastics, right? But the biggest risk in TS are balls falling down from the battlefield. Did you install the protectors on TOP of the plastics near the battlefield?

If you are extremely concerned about breakage, the best method is to use a hex post extender on those plastics and install a set above and below. The extra space distance will allow the extra protection properly. Otherwise install them underneath. The extra thickness absorbs the blow and will prevent breakage, but can spiderweb the ink screening. Installing them on top does not increase the protection significantly.

#2952 3 years ago

What is an hex post extender? So do you suggest to use two hex post extenders and no plastic protectors at all?

Can you please post a picture that shows the system you explained?

#2953 3 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

What is an hex post extender? So do you suggest to use two hex post extenders and no plastic protectors at all?
Can you please post a picture that shows the system you explained?

You "sandwich" a clear protector above the plastic using this extender for spacing. It screws into the existing hex post.

PPS-02-4935-1_(resized).jpg

#2954 3 years ago

So are you suggesting to use two plastic protector sets, one above and one below? If this is the case, I am not sure it is financially worthed..

#2955 3 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

So are you suggesting to use two plastic protector sets, one above and one below? If this is the case, I am not sure it is financially worthed..

We are only really talking about one plastic protector when the ball drops off the Battlefield, not the whole entire game.
Stencil template the protector, and cut it out with a dremel using 1/4" clear acrylic or PETG.
Now you have two protectors, one above and one below, "bulletproof".

#2956 3 years ago

got it, thanks

1 week later
#2957 3 years ago

My god, what a game. I've owned mine for 15 years or so. *Many* pins came and went during those years. Sometimes I don't play it for months. But I get addicted again right away when I start playing it after a long time. It's still my favorite game. Nothing in pinball beats finishing Khan.

Just came back from an amazing game on it, improving my previous GC (which had been there for years) by about a billion. It all started as a casual game after a day of hard work. I'm still trembling right now. Woohoo!

My life is now one of purpuse and honor.

#2958 3 years ago

Celebrate my swapping out that translite why don't ya! : )

#2959 3 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

i think his translate is just fine!

#2960 3 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

Quoted from freddy:

i think his translate is just fine!

Have to agree with Freddy here. Although Aurich's translite is absolutely a work of art, I don't mind me some 90's cheese. And pshhh, a little secret: *I actually liked the movie.*

If we were talking about a machine like Demolition Man here, I would probably have changed the translite a long time ago. That's what I call an ugly translite.

#2961 3 years ago
Quoted from Jappie:

My god, what a game.

Dude, that is a serious game

#2962 3 years ago

Still consider this pin to be one of the most underrated games out there. Would love a shadow one day.

#2963 3 years ago

If you like "The Shadow" listen to go the Radio Show from the 1950s. Makes the Alec Baldwin movie even more embarassing. Available via free podcast for listening while you work or drive.

#2964 3 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

If you like "The Shadow" listen to go the Radio Show from the 1950s. Makes the Alec Baldwin movie even more embarassing. Available via free podcast for listening while you work or drive.

Your right! Some of the best in Radio was the Shadow!

#2965 3 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

I bought this beauty two weeks ago, and listen to The Shadow and other old time radio shows. It's an ultra rare Zenith 12S267 from 1938. Sounds amazing.

image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg

#2966 3 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I bought this beauty two weeks ago, and listen to The Shadow and other old time radio shows. It's an ultra rare Zenith 12S267 from 1938. Sounds amazing.

The nostalgic force factor is high with you as a pinball padalwan. Some of the best quality manufactured items ever made were produced over 50 years ago.

#2967 3 years ago

Wow, the dial on that radio alone is amazing, what a find.

#2968 3 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Very cool. The green light looks like an LED. Would love an old radio. I listed to shadow and the CBS radio mystery theatre

#2969 3 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

What about this switch, helping detecting balls on the right diverted left ramp? Does it work well as advertised? Is this a custom switch, or does it have a part number?
ebay.com link ยป Shadow Pinball Left Ramp Switch Fix To Stop Air Balls Missing Made Shots

Looks like the same one http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=380

#2970 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Wow, the dial on that radio alone is amazing, what a find.

Yes, the green is a magic eye electron-ray indicator tube which moves to give a visual indicator of signal strength, it helps make it easier to tune into stations. The narrower the sliver is, the stronger the station.

Magic_eye.gif

#2971 3 years ago

How do you play old taped radio shows on it?

#2972 3 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

How do you play old taped radio shows on it?

The radio has a audio in jack (not original - added to the chassis at a later point in time), I have a Bose bluetooth receiver attached, and I play the old time radio shows and music to that via my iPhone. Here is the receiver I use:

amazon.com link »

#2973 3 years ago

In case anyone is like me and missing one, I can confirm that this screw does work for the diverter phurbas and match the finish.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4006-01003-04Y

#2974 3 years ago

Borrowed some ideas from earlier in this thread and replaced all my star posts with purple ones lit with blue leds, even the one by the plunger. They are very bright so hard to get a good pic. I also added a spotlight with a purple bulb to the mini playfield. I wanted to mount it up front pointing back but there is just no room with the glass on. With it in the back on the left, there is too much glare. On the right it is better but still not completely happy with it. Plan on adding a few more spotlights to brighten up the game more.

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

#2975 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Borrowed some ideas from earlier in this thread and replaced all my star posts with purple ones lit with blue leds, even the one by the plunger. They are very bright so hard to get a good pic. I also added a spotlight with a purple bulb to the mini playfield. I wanted to mount it up front pointing back but there is just no room with the glass on. With it in the back on the left, there is too much glare. On the right it is better but still not completely happy with it. Plan on adding a few more spotlights to brighten up the game more.

Looks good. Not sure I like blue and purple on bottom Outlane. I would choose one color

Where is best place to buy that many star post LED sets?

#2976 3 years ago

Yeah, not sure that is working either. I wanted a little color down there but haven't found a good setup.

#2977 3 years ago

Go warm white and have the color of the plastics shine through!

#2978 3 years ago

image_(resized).jpeg

#2979 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Try a frosted purple 6.3V strip with a Matrix bulb and wire from Comet, and in minutes in installs behind the battlefield
sign shining backwards.

If you want to control the brightness, and a brightness control.

Truly kicks ass!

Quoted from billsfanmd:

Looks good. Not sure I like blue and purple on bottom Outlane. I would choose one color
Where is best place to buy that many star post LED sets?

Comet has the best price, and they can handle 6.3V or 12v.
They are plug and play in a wide vaiety to your GI, Inserts or Flashers in minutes!
Slings and close posts are a must, a found some games dont need every post lit, especially towards the back,
but thats personal.

Ive done all 3 ...purple post with purple, white, and blue....all different all cool!

john-barsh2_(resized).jpg

shadow-web_(resized).jpg

#2980 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Try a frosted purple 6.3V strip with a Matrix bulb and wire from Comet, and in minutes in installs behind the battlefield
sign shining backwards.
If you want to control the brightness, and a brightness control.
Truly kicks ass!

Comet has the best price, and they can handle 6.3V or 12v.
They are plug and play in a wide vaiety to your GI, Inserts or Flashers in minutes!
Slings and close posts are a must, a found some games dont need every post lit, especially towards the back,
but thats personal.
Ive done all 3 ...purple post with purple, white, and blue....all different all cool!

Did Comet ever release that LED strip with frosted white and with a 45 degree angle pitch?

#2981 3 years ago

I LED'd the backbox and all of the inserts in the playfield in my Shadow tonight. I was a few flashers short, but wanted to share the results of the backbox. I may change it up a little bit... and I'd love your thoughts. Sorry about the reflection from the florescent fixture on the backglass.

I'll also add... what is the bulb number for the flasher in the mini-playfield?

shadowbackbox1_(resized).jpg

shadowbackbox2_(resized).jpg

#2982 3 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

I LED'd the backbox and all of the inserts in the playfield in my Shadow tonight. I was a few flashers short, but wanted to share the results of the backbox. I may change it up a little bit... and I'd love your thoughts. Sorry about the reflection from the florescent fixture on the backglass.

Who punched Alec and gave him a shiner?

#2983 3 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Did Comet ever release that LED strip with frosted white and with a 45 degree angle pitch?

They arrived, but they forgot to add the connection at the end, and are being redone for release soon I hope.
I grabbed a bunch and installed a few..
I'm very happy.

I'm out of town and can't post it until official release, but will try to send you pic or video when I return next week.

I am still toying with other applications as it lights inside ramps, outside ramps sides, back etc in a unique and different way

#2984 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

They arrived, but they forgot to add the connection at the end, and are being redone for release soon I hope.
I grabbed a bunch and installed a few..
I'm very happy.
I'm out of town and can't post it until official release, but will try to send you pic or video when I return next week.
I am still toying with other applications as it lights inside ramps, outside ramps sides, back etc in a unique and different way

Would it be possible to have this battlefield LED strip only be lit when there is a ball on the upper playfield, ie, just when the paddle is active?

#2985 3 years ago

This Strip..still unnamed, runs on either 6.3 or 12v.
In the best plug and play method, only always on, or flashing with paddle currently.
The board that has been made
by another pinsider, its in the Jp thread,
might be adaptable to this need.
Or something like a miniature broad range
Motion sensor, or a connection to the logic.
Ultimately, I haven't seen an easy answer
But I think someone who builds a plug and play
answer for on only when active, would do well.

The 45 degree strip is 20 inches, and puts a nice segmented light in one direction, and at 45 degrees, full white bright!

So like on the back of an NBA
Fastbreak, it looks like Stadium
Lighting with the crowd backsplash,
and lights the whole back.

In the Shadow, back lighting shows
As a reflection on the mini playfield

This bothers some people, so putting it on the
Battlefield sign, fixed this.
Other strips come frosted, colors, and can be dimmed.

One can put one color on the battlefield and another on the right.....i like this way best.

#2986 3 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

Who punched Alec and gave him a shiner?

I assume Khan.

Seriously though, I turned off most of the lights to take the photo. It looks better with the lights on.

#2987 3 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

I prefer to keep warm white (with maybe just one or two color LED's) behind the translite to let the natural colors shine through. Just my personal preference. I find when I put in color LED's there is lot of bleeding of light into other areas, distorting the color's next to the main color. Here is a photo of my backbox with warm whites (yes apples and oranges given I have the Aurich alt, but you get the idea). I have one or two green LED's in the Shadow type, because I wanted the green to seep into the mist (giving it a glow), aside from that everything else is warm white.

Shadow_Backbox_(resized).jpeg

#2988 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Would it be possible to have this battlefield LED strip only be lit when there is a ball on the upper playfield, ie, just when the paddle is active?

I have a strip in that spot that is tied to the center insert in the battlefield.. Every time the ball crosses the opto up there it flashes. It's a cool effect.

#2989 3 years ago

Or one could do both.....one on all the time, with any color or brightness and one flashing also any color.
Currently I left mine with purple and white and have switched those back and forth

Nothing but great ideas from everypne!

#2990 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

This Strip..still unnamed, runs on either 6.3 or 12v.
In the best plug and play method, only always on, or flashing with paddle currently.
The board that has been made
by another pinsider, its in the Jp thread,
might be adaptable to this need.
Or something like a miniature broad range
Motion sensor, or a connection to the logic.
Ultimately, I haven't seen an easy answer
But I think someone who builds a plug and play
answer for on only when active, would do well.
The 45 degree strip is 20 inches, and puts a nice segmented light in one direction, and at 45 degrees, full white bright!
So like on the back of an NBA
Fastbreak, it looks like Stadium
Lighting with the crowd backsplash,
and lights the whole back.
In the Shadow, back lighting shows
As a reflection on the mini playfield
This bothers some people, so putting it on the
Battlefield sign, fixed this.
Other strips come frosted, colors, and can be dimmed.
One can put one color on the battlefield and another on the right.....i like this way best.

Very exciting, I'm looking forward to this! Please keep us updated.

#2991 3 years ago

Finished moving mine in today. Put in the new speaker panel I got from a fellow pinsider. Wired up the speaker LED rings. It was a bit difficult to get the DMD to sit in the channel properly but a little force and it's in there! They're a little bright to look at directly, but fine when you're playing. Still have some mini playfield spotlights to install. But I'm beat for today.

The speaker LED rings were 90mm LED rings off of eBay. I wired them up to the existing 12V I have going to the extra LED strips.
ebay.com link » 2x 90mm Green 24 Led Smd Car Angel Eyes Headlight Halo Ring Light Bulb

Snapchat-3701240011264920313_(resized).jpg

#2992 3 years ago

Looks great!

#2993 3 years ago

Are there any known bugs? I'm running LA6 patched for LED's. Was playing a 2 player game and entered my high score OK, but also got loop champion and it wouldn't let me properly select letters. I selected what I thought were my initials but it showed up as all blanks.

IMG_20160820_115453_(resized).jpg

#2994 3 years ago

That's weird. I use rom 6, but not one patched for LEDs. What does this mean?

#2995 3 years ago

Has anyone put a Shaker on a Shadow? HEhar so you think, and how do you toggle what activates it?

#2996 3 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

Are there any known bugs?

I have LX-5 and loop champion score gets deleted whenever I change the setup from 3 ball to 5 ball.

#2997 3 years ago

Finally began the tear down of The Shadow. Bottom of the playfield is fully shopped, cleaned, all the kickers and flippers rebuilt. Tonight I was able to remove the ramps and wireforms, which was the goal since I'm sending the wireforms to be re-plated. While they are away, I'll repair the Sanctum wear and order the couple of plastics I need.

20160822_195935 (resized).jpg

20160822_195943 (resized).jpg

#2998 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

'm sending the wireforms to be re-plated.

Do you mind sharing who are you sending them to for plating and what is the cost?

#2999 3 years ago

I'll be sending to the guy who took over for Mike chestnut. I know Mike's quoted price to me was $160, so I'll see if the price remains the same.

#3000 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Mike did my Shadow gun's chrome too. Can't remember if I've posted this photo in this thread or not, but I had some custom wooden grips made, and then drilled them out to embed silver dimes from 1930, the year The Shadow was first on radio.
I kinda want to stain them darker, but please with how they look and feel.

Aurich, where did you get these wooden grips made? Ever since you posted this i keep thinking about it. Please share source and info if you can. Thanks!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 135.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Boards
PCB Emporium
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 13.00
Playfields
Lermods
$ 11.00
There are 6671 posts in this topic. You are on page 60 of 134.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside