Topic Stats

• 6,756 posts
  • 563 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by woody76
  • Topic is favorited by 194 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,806 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

A-20424 Instructions.pdf (PDF preview)
a-20424 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20200220-175502_Drive (resized).jpg
20200218_215034 (resized).jpg
20200220_090957 (resized).jpg
20200220_090949 (resized).jpg
20200220_090943 (resized).jpg
20200220_090935 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20200220-121942 (resized).png
20200219_173932 (resized).jpg
20200219_173929 (resized).jpg
E3C37A7B-3525-4E18-92DE-5EEE79410CEE (resized).png
82669A90-6355-4362-AEE1-01C75B8D7341 (resized).jpeg
20200211_230553 (resized).jpg
Plastic Guide (resized).JPG
Drop target assembly (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6756 posts in this topic. You are on page 58 of 136.
#2851 3 years ago

thanks for the link. by the way, are those replicas official / approved? are identical to the original?

also: I see another plastic that I cannot find in my Shadow. Where is this located?

shadow_missing_plastic_(resized).jpg

#2852 3 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

thanks for the link. by the way, are those replicas official / approved? are identical to the original?
also: I see another plastic that I cannot find in my Shadow. Where is this located?

20160313_191519_(resized).jpg

#2853 3 years ago

Finally get to be a member. It was an adventure getting this pin but it's finally in my house. Game is super clean and could easily be huo. It does have a few issues, though. Sanctum wall needs some kind of adjustment. It works fine in testing but not during gameplay. Ball also likes to get stuck on a plastic falling down the left side of the upper playfield. Looks like an odd design so not sure if I am missing something. Just need to spend some time with it and figure these things out. I'm just happy to have a nice Shadow. I've been wanting one for a while now.

DSC_8285b_(resized).jpg

#2854 3 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

I don't know about their officiality status or the quality in general, the part has not yet arrived.

#2855 3 years ago

Delete

#2856 3 years ago

I've replaced the flashers with purple caps as many here have. I've been thinking about the original orange. I wonder if Bally used orange to add to the golden ambience of the art deco design?

#2857 3 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I've replaced the flashers with purple caps as many here have. I've been thinking about the original orange. I wonder if Bally used orange to add to the golden ambience of the art deco design?

Mine are still original orange and my wife hates them. In combination with the LED flashers they are absurdly bright!

#2858 3 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

As Corey Feldman would say, go green green greeeeeeeen!

#2859 3 years ago
Quoted from Luddite:

And I want to LED inserts also, I just think I'm gonna need the OCD board because I don't want the kind of strobey effect I've seen somewhere.
I had never played or even seen this pin IRL before I bought it but I trusted all the good word and I have to say there's not even a slightest of regret for me. I love this pin.

I have LEDs in mine and they look fine without an OCD board.

#2860 3 years ago

Pinsound users, a new mix for The Shadow, is available on the community forum. Enjoy.

#2861 3 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

I have LEDs in mine and they look fine without an OCD board.

Do you have non-ghosting LEDs or just standard LEDs? There seem to be differing reports on whether or not Shadow suffers from ghosting:

Quoted from swampfire:

I'm using a bunch of different LEDs in inserts right now, and none of them seem to ghost. I'll have to watch them more closely.

Quoted from Aurich:

Definitely seen it ghost. And no ghost bulbs fixed it. It was only certain inserts though. Ghosting drives me nuts though, I'm pretty hyperconscious of it.

I've got the LEDOCD board installed with Comet 50/50s. It's great. Even if LED strobing and ghosting are not issues for you, it maintains the "fade effect" you get from incandescents when they power on/off, which makes a noticeable difference in "smoothing out" the light show. Because of the fade effects alone, Shadow inarguably looks better with LEDOCD installed. But it's personal preference whether that difference is worth $150 for the board. For my part I'd happily spend that money again, but Shadow is also going to be a permanent member of my pinball family so I viewed it as a long-term investment.

One note: if you're going to use the LEDOCD board, you don't want non-ghosting bulbs (evidently the non-ghosting circuitry in the bulbs interferes w/ the LEDOCD functionality). So that saves you ~ $15 on insert LEDs if you go the LEDOCD route.

#2862 3 years ago

My GI is non-ghosting but my insert LEDs were home made by previous owner. So I don't think those are non-ghosting but can't say for sure.

#2863 3 years ago

I bought regular LEDs for GI and they seem to work very well for that purpose. When I tested one of those for an insert it's not so good, it's sometimes blinking or burning very dimly, "ghosting", I suppose? Even if that problem would be sorted out with non-ghosting LEDs I would put value to the smoothness fosaisu is talking about above.

#2864 3 years ago
Quoted from julien42:

Pinsound users, a new mix for The Shadow, is available on the community forum. Enjoy.

Amazing mix Julien42!!

Another reason to never ever let The Shadow go !!

#2865 3 years ago

GI never needs to be non ghosting as led ghosting is caused by the way a lamp matrix is strobed. The GI is not part of the lamp matrix.

Shadow does not ghost or need non ghosting bulbs. Further, machines that do ghost do not only ghost for some of the lamps. Ghosting is caused by the way the matrix is pulsed when addressing rows and columns, and the matrix is pulsed the same for the entire matrix. If you had some ghosting lamps only, you had a minor lamp matrix problem and covered the symptom with non ghosting bulbs. It's likely to get worse in the future, however, depending on what the cause may be.

#2866 3 years ago
Quoted from Luddite:

I bought regular LEDs for GI and they seem to work very well for that purpose.

Quoted from markmon:

GI never needs to be non ghosting as led ghosting is caused by the way a lamp matrix is strobed. The GI is not part of the lamp matrix.

I can confirm that regular LEDs work just fine for the GI in Shadow.

The one place LEDs cause significant problems in the GI is on games with dimming effects (e.g. Blackout mode in Judge Dredd), where LEDs tend to flicker instead of dimming the way incandescents would. Non-ghosting bulbs cannot help with this issue. You can turn off GI dimming in many games (including Shadow -- turn off "Allow Dim Illumination," 25 in the Adjustments Menu) to avoid LED flicker, but then you lose the dimming effect. Luckily for Shadow, the only GI dimming is at the start of Shadow multiball, and because the flashers are also firing the flickering is much less noticeable, though you'll definitely still see it if you look for it.

Herg does make a GI OCD board that corrects LED flicker during GI dimming (and otherwise gives you the same level of control over the GI as his LED OCD board does over inserts), but it's probably not worthwhile for Shadow given the very limited use this game makes of GI dimming.

#2867 3 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Shadow does not ghost or need non ghosting bulbs. Further, machines that do ghost do not only ghost for some of the lamps. Ghosting is caused by the way the matrix is pulsed when addressing rows and columns, and the matrix is pulsed the same for the entire matrix. If you had some ghosting lamps only, you had a minor lamp matrix problem and covered the symptom with non ghosting bulbs. It's likely to get worse in the future, however, depending on what the cause may be.

how would you go about diagnosing a problem like this? i put some purple passions into my mode inserts and get some faint ghosting from one when another is lit

#2868 3 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Shadow does not ghost or need non ghosting bulbs.

I'm totally noob here what comes to this topic but I tried to dig something up. The most that I could find was this article about ghosting http://emmytech.com/arcade/led_ghost_busting/ which in the beginning says that ghosting is caused by an issue in WPC ASIC and Williams has fixed it sometime in 1995 by updating the lamp matrix device driver. Has that fix been applied to The Shadow ROM also? The Shadow ROM revision are dated from Dec -94 to May -95, but there's no mention about lamp matrix fixes. I'd be curious about more info on this?

Thanks PunkPin for testing that out. I have one regular LED for testing purpose in the (K)HAN and it sure also is faintly lighting on and off as other lights come and go.

#2870 3 years ago

I figured out my problems with the sanctum wall target and magnet. The coil swing arm was activating the switch. Basically the swing arm rested on the switch the whole time so the game thought the wall drop target was stuck down. That made the magnet not work during gameplay. It was hard to figure out because everything worked in testing. Once I adjusted the switch so only the drop target triggered it, it worked perfectly.

Anyone know what these loose cables are for? They look like they are for the speaker but other wires are hooked up to it.

image_(resized).jpg

#2871 3 years ago

Wires for an External Subwoofer maybe?

#2872 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Anyone know what these loose cables are for? They look like they are for the speaker but other wires are hooked up to it.

Those look very "lamp cord aftermarket". Maybe an external speaker at some point?
Where does the other end connect?

#2873 3 years ago

Haven't traced the wires up yet. Will do this weekend. Just curious if they are stock. If not I will remove them.

#2874 3 years ago
Quoted from Luddite:

I'm totally noob here what comes to this topic but I tried to dig something up. The most that I could find was this article about ghosting http://emmytech.com/arcade/led_ghost_busting/ which in the beginning says that ghosting is caused by an issue in WPC ASIC and Williams has fixed it sometime in 1995 by updating the lamp matrix device driver. Has that fix been applied to The Shadow ROM also? The Shadow ROM revision are dated from Dec -94 to May -95, but there's no mention about lamp matrix fixes. I'd be curious about more info on this?
Thanks PunkPin for testing that out. I have one regular LED for testing purpose in the (K)HAN and it sure also is faintly lighting on and off as other lights come and go.

if rom version is a factor that could be my problem i believe i am on a very old version currently

#2875 3 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

I miss the plastic on the top-left of the Sanctum: does anybody have one to spare? Also, the very top part of the main big plastic (in the area top-right of the Sanctum) got broken and is missing. Does anybody have a broken one so that I can cut that little thin part in the top and add it in its place? It will not be perfect, but it will still look decent.

Sent you a pm .. I have a bunch of old plastics that were on my game. I probably have an extra lying around.

#2876 3 years ago

The led OCD board is very nice it seems. I do pinball life super brights and patched ROMs for LED's and I'm very satisfied.

#2877 3 years ago

Opto switches 31 and 32 are at the entrance of the ramps: what is their purpose?

#2878 3 years ago

Delete

#2879 3 years ago

Delete

#2880 3 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

Opto switches 31 and 32 are at the entrance of the ramps: what is their purpose?

Potentially to cue the audio and DMD, not sure?

#2881 3 years ago

I am new to plastic protectors. If I understand correctly, those plastic protectors need to be installed UNDER the plastics: being a bit wider than the plastics, they protect them from airballs coming from the SIDE. Correct?

In the Shadow the biggest problem is balls falling from the battlefield, so coming from the TOP. Do you think it make sense toinstall plastic protectors on TS below the plastics? Or are there some plastic protectors to be installed on top?

#2882 3 years ago

Both diverters of my Shadow have been welded and I just fixed the first one. Definitely not so pleasant experience, but I'm happy with the end result. I hope the left one goes along as well when I get onto it...

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

#2883 3 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

In the Shadow the biggest problem is balls falling from the battlefield, so coming from the TOP. Do you think it make sense toinstall plastic protectors on TS below the plastics? Or are there some plastic protectors to be installed on top?

That makes sense to install them on top for protection.

#2884 3 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

I got the plastic today. Not exactly like the previous one I got, but the colors match pretty well.

image_(resized).jpeg

#2885 3 years ago

Yes, not identical, but still good.

#2886 3 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

Up

#2887 3 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

Yes, not identical, but still good.

Is IT?!

#2888 3 years ago
#2889 3 years ago

It has been fun my Shadow friends but I leave this club to venture out in to space where no one has gone before. Time to join the STTNG group.

image_(resized).jpeg

#2890 3 years ago

Got my Shadow Powder Coated last week. Installed the new armour over the weekend. I think it came out looking pretty sweet!

Old_Gun_(resized).JPG

New_Gun_(resized).JPG

Laid_Out_(resized).JPG

Hinges_(resized).JPG

Side_Shot_(resized).JPG

Fully_Installed_(resized).JPG

#2891 3 years ago

I've seen a lot of powder coating that I just don't like lately, this is not one of them. You really nailed the color on this, it compliments the play field and the cabinet nicely. Gun looks awesome, too!

#2892 3 years ago

Hello to everyone!! I'm new and i'm glad to see a topic dedicated to this great machine! I have one that needs restoring, if you can help me try to go in TECH: GENERIC TOPICS section! I'm also looking for the big red plastic under the right divertor and the 3 mongol figures which in my pin are missing! Anyone has spare parts and can help me?? They would need to be shipped in Italy

in attachment my bad red plastic reparation and sanctum zone!

Thank you all for your help and for this fantastic forum!!!

Foto_15-06-16,_13_43_54_(resized).jpg

#2893 3 years ago

Hey all, new member to the shadow club. I've been wanting one for a long time and traded off my sttng for one. I need clarification on a few things as I'm having some issues.

Is Kahn Multiball always 3 ball or does it vary? I've had 2-4 balls put out for this one when playing. Trough could definitely use a scrubbing as it appears the balls are not rolling smoothly down it. Switches for the trough are good.

#2894 3 years ago

should be a 3 ball everytime, check the trough for intentions where the balls sit, if they are not rolling down properly to feed the upkicker that can cause problems

#2895 3 years ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

should be a 3 ball everytime, check the trough for intentions where the balls sit, if they are not rolling down properly to feed the upkicker that can cause problems

Thanks Punk, I'll pull the trough soon. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something in the game I was missing. Going to go after the battlefield too. Left target doesn't drop at all and the right three will drop but not come up unless I manually do it, or do a solenoid test. I'm guessing those switches aren't registering the drops location.

#2896 3 years ago
Quoted from Pesmerga:

Hello to everyone!! I'm new and i'm glad to see a topic dedicated to this great machine! I have one that needs restoring, if you can help me try to go in TECH: GENERIC TOPICS section! I'm also looking for the big red plastic under the right divertor and the 3 mongol figures which in my pin are missing! Anyone has spare parts and can help me?? They would need to be shipped in Italy

Hello! Ministry of Pinball has the mongol figures but they are quite expensive, 33€ each. The plastic you need seems to be out of stock there.

#2897 3 years ago

Thanks for your answer Luddite, any suggestion on how to repair the sanctum zone without canceling the writings and without buying those wrong colored decals? How did you guiys repaired yours?

#2898 3 years ago
Quoted from Pesmerga:

Thanks for your answer Luddite, any suggestion on how to repair the sanctum zone without canceling the writings and without buying those wrong colored decals? How did you guiys repaired yours?

I actually used the wrong colored decal, but I did pretty thorough groundwork under it, carefully dremelled all the mushy wood out and filled the divot with automotive putty (polyesther bodyfiller) and then lots elbow grease to sand everything smooth. I'm very happy how it turned out except of course the decal color.

#2899 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That makes sense to install them on top for protection.

So they need to be transparent of course. I saw some set that looks like soft blue. Also, I saw one set of six and another of 12 plastic protectors. Which one do you recommend? Where to get it from?

#2900 3 years ago

sorry for the simple question, but better to avoid mistake:

New balls for TS: low magnetic or standard?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 6756 posts in this topic. You are on page 58 of 136.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside