Topic Stats

• 6,672 posts
  • 558 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Stuieb84
  • Topic is favorited by 193 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,772 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200120_162300 (resized).jpg
20200116_225418 (resized).jpg
20200116_225424 (resized).jpg
flip (resized).JPG
30003602 (resized).jpg
20200111_122439 (resized).jpg
20191216_121908 (resized).jpg
20200115_131749 (resized).jpg
shadow (resized).JPG
15790437858503837468966734949378 (resized).jpg
15790297376603489976081907527026 (resized).jpg
Shadow-LockArea-WithoutPlastics(but1guideRemoved) (resized).jpg
Shadow-LockArea-WithPlastics (resized).jpg
IMG_8567 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8565 (resized).jpeg
Shadoiw High Scoire Adjustments (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6672 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 134.
#2601 3 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Have you played POTC much, it has limited replayability.

It's all in the eye of the beholder. I've played POTC quite a lot, and it never gets old for me. Different strokes...

#2602 3 years ago

I've had my Shadow for a year. I've beat final battle a few times...two weeks ago I got my first triple super jackpot and today I finally got a seven way combo! Game still brings me back for more. There is still a mode I've never beat. There are just so many rewarding challenges to this game.

#2603 3 years ago
Quoted from holmstarrunner:

I've had my Shadow for a year. I've beat final battle a few times...two weeks ago I got my first triple super jackpot and today I finally got a seven way combo! Game still brings me back for more. There is still a mode I've never beat. There are just so many rewarding challenges to this game.

Which mode?

#2604 3 years ago

I get pretty jazzed when I get a 4 way combo.

#2605 3 years ago

The Beryllium Sphere is the one I've yet to beat. You can't miss more than a couple shots or time runs out. Perhaps I should focus on getting multiball at the start.

#2606 3 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

I get pretty jazzed when I get a 4 way combo.

So does Tim Curry

#2607 3 years ago

Hello,

I got a Shadow sometime ago, but due to space just started playing it yesterday. I quite like hard pinball, I have a BSD and TZ. I had great expectations on The Shadow, but the start is not so good.
Well, my first impression is pretty shocking: ball time is ridiculously little (rarely above 30 seconds), balls keep draining in the middle and on both outlanes. Outlanes are already closed to the minimum, and I reduced the steepness of the playfield. Still, no luck (and no fun).

I have white rubbers: maybe better black?
Pinball rubbers is red: shall I go black?

Do you have some recommendation on how to ease this drain monster?
Not happy so far..

#2608 3 years ago

..basically the ball is bouncing crazily everywhere, control is nearly impossible. Even trapping a ball is not easy as usual!

#2609 3 years ago

ok, changed pinball rubbers (red again) and it is sooo much better. also set tilt more forgiving, and now it's much better.
don't know what was the problem with the original pinball rubbers: the ball was totally uncontrollable and veru bouncy, horrible experience.
Anyway, I will buy some black rubbers for total control.
Do you know if all type of vendors use the same color scheme? I mean, I buy from pinballcenter.eu. Are their black rubbers harder than their red?

#2610 3 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

Anyway, I will buy some black rubbers for total control.
Do you know if all type of vendors use the same color scheme? I mean, I buy from pinballcenter.eu. Are their black rubbers harder than their red?

If you're not a rubber traditionalist, I highly recommend Titan Pinball's silicon rings:
https://www.titanpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=52

There's a big discussion thread on Pinside about Titan rings, including a 10% discount code:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-product-competition-silicone-rings

#2611 3 years ago

Red rubbers tend to be a bit "tackier"...more grip, than black rubber. Black rubbers aren't as bouncy as whites. They both have a different durometer.

I prefer white rubbers on my pins. Red on the flippers.

A downside to using black rubber...it tends to transfer itself to the palyfield rather quickly...

#2612 3 years ago

I notice a big difference in difficulty depending on who is playing because of what they are shooting for. I am almost always just shooting the left loop or the right mode start, not the ramps or the center shots to the wall and battlefield. Center shots come back SDTM, and missing the left ramp and hitting the switches to either side of it is really dangerous, too. Shots that don't make it all the way up the ramps can come back down the middle as well. The battlefield shot is easiest to get to from the upper right flipper, not the lower flippers. Shoot the left loop a lot from the right flipper, this is my main shot. It gives you the ability to hit the battlefield, inner loop, or Khan multiball/mode start. If you don't hit that loop cleanly the ball will usually come right back down to the left flipper, so it's a safe shot unless you miss to the right and hit the yellow left ramp switch. The key for me is to keep getting modes started, get to the battlefield while the modes are active, and pick up the shadow multiball mostly from random hits along the way. I do not hit the ramps a lot, only to use them to set up other shots sometimes and when I feel like going after some of the mode shots or vengeance. That left ramp is especially risky, I do not even go after the skill shot unless the ball save is still active.

I use white play field rubber and red flipper rubber.

Good luck!

#2613 3 years ago

I find that the difficulty increases as the angle decreases. I got the best ball times when I was somewhere between 8 and 8.5 degrees. Last time I moved it, I set it up at 7.5 and my average score went down about 80-100M points.

#2614 3 years ago

Some more tips:

When a lock light is lit on the sanctum, don't intentionally shoot for it to lock the ball. That lock light is valuable because it acts like a ball save so that the ball does not come back down the middle. If you actually lock the ball then the next hit will light the lock instead of grabbing the ball, and it can come back down the middle. This is why Shadow multiball is normally the last objective I achieve get out of the 4.

The upper right flipper position has also been discussed here before. For an easy setup, make sure to set that flipper up so that when it is held up a shot from either loop will go straight into the Khan hole. This makes starting modes much easier. I had it set up for a while like that but then when I got better I found it was too easy to start modes. Now I have it set up so that a normal shot from the left loop will not go straight to the khan hole, but a faster shot around the inner loop will. It's a good compromise since the common left loop shot won't go straight in but if I hit an inner loop I can decide whether to go for more loops or into the Khan hole. For the most difficult setup the ball would never go straight into the Khan hole with the flipper up, you have to hit the shot.

Rich

#2615 3 years ago

and now changed all rubbers, also to black.

you know what? the difference is like day and night. I did not know that rubbers of different colors have such a hugely different behaviour. it's a totally different experience.

ok, I am still a novice to this pinball, but hey, now it feels soooo much better! ))

so basically I started out with crazy steepness and bouncy rubbers, the worst possible for a pin like this. got scared that all good stuff I heard about TS was wrong, but I am happy again!

#2616 3 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

scared that all good stuff I heard about TS was wrong,

GIVE it time it just gets better and better!

#2617 3 years ago
Quoted from ziz:

I notice a big difference in difficulty depending on who is playing because of what they are shooting for. I am almost always just shooting the left loop or the right mode start, not the ramps or the center shots to the wall and battlefield. Center shots come back SDTM, and missing the left ramp and hitting the switches to either side of it is really dangerous, too. Shots that don't make it all the way up the ramps can come back down the middle as well. The battlefield shot is easiest to get to from the upper right flipper, not the lower flippers. Shoot the left loop a lot from the right flipper, this is my main shot. It gives you the ability to hit the battlefield, inner loop, or Khan multiball/mode start. If you don't hit that loop cleanly the ball will usually come right back down to the left flipper, so it's a safe shot unless you miss to the right and hit the yellow left ramp switch. The key for me is to keep getting modes started, get to the battlefield while the modes are active, and pick up the shadow multiball mostly from random hits along the way. I do not hit the ramps a lot, only to use them to set up other shots sometimes and when I feel like going after some of the mode shots or vengeance. That left ramp is especially risky, I do not even go after the skill shot unless the ball save is still active.
Good luck!

thanks for the hints. I actually figured out since the first plays that the left ramp was very risky, hitting that the average shot ball time was really around 10s! I also realized that to be safe I needed to keep hitting the left loop. Still, with the white rubbers and original red flipper rubbers, it was a nightmare. really completely impossible to control the ball at all. I consider myself a very good player.
Now I have all black rubbers, also on flippers, and I am.... HAVING LOTS OF FUN!! The pin looks like a difficult one for sure, but when I have the feel of ball control nothing can stop me!!! I will defeat KHAN and save the world!! )

#2618 3 years ago

the left ramp is skill shot! choose your reward and shoot the left ramp. use diverter button to choose.

#2619 3 years ago
Quoted from ziz:

Good luck!

I usually follow this same strategy but....going for vengeance is just too much fun! I can't help but try to combo ramps.

#2620 3 years ago

ok, an update:

as I mentioned I changed all rubbers to black, and learned all shots on this machine. Result: ITS AMAZING!!!

I like hard pinballs, and this is the perfect machine. I got the machine with white rubbers (very bouncy) and they created a type of gameplay I totally didnt like. I put STANDARD (not silicone) black rubbers and now things are so much better. With white rubbers the game was very random, with black now I can:

1. control the ball much better with the flippers
2. nudging on the pin of the outlanes saves much more balls. With white rubbers you can nudge correctly but the ball kept bouncing all around and back to the outlanes.

Anyway I found a simple idea: I put some toothpicks between the posts and the rubber: it only narrowed slightly the outlanes by a couple of mm, but that helps a bit. Set like this, my Shadow rocks!!! It's now a difficult game, but not punishing in an extreme, silly, random way. You constantly need to use soft nudging, slap save, bounce pass, especially dead catch, stay away from outlanes and so on.. but it's all up to the player's skills. With skilled play you can consistently achieve good results, no need to wait for pure luck around the outlanes, as it seems I needed before. No more frustration, and way more fun.

The game is still very hard, and once very experienced I can remove memory between balls relative to some adjustments, and go from 5 to 3 balls. It will be the perfect machine for expert players: great rewards for the skilled, failures for the unskilled. And not too much luck involved.

I AM IN LOVE WITH THE SHADOW!

#2621 3 years ago

Had some fun the other night and the shiny jewel in the middle is my Shadow.

Loving it!

20160319_170940_(resized).jpg

#2622 3 years ago

Hey folks here's a quick easy and cheap mod i did to better light up the sanctum area. My game was very dark and the coolest part of the game is watching the ball woosh into the sanctum.
The great thing about the spotlight is that its on at about 50% power all the time but goes to full brightness when a ball gets stuck on the magnet. It then shuts off and goes dark a second after the ball gets pulled into the sanctum. The ball collection in the sanctum is very dramatic now!

e9527302-ebed-4c67-9177-b0d1c732b19a_(resized).jpg

#2623 3 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

Hey folks here's a quick easy and cheap mod i did to better light up the sanctum area. My game was very dark and the coolest part of the game is watching the ball woosh into the sanctum.
The great thing about the spotlight is that its on at about 50% power all the time but goes to full brightness when a ball gets stuck on the magnet. It then shuts off and goes dark a second after the ball gets pulled into the sanctum. The ball collection in the sanctum is very dramatic now!
e9527302-ebed-4c67-9177-b0d1c732b19a_(resized).jpg

Very cool, how did you set the light up to increase power when activated?

#2624 3 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Very cool, how did you set the light up to increase power when activated?

I just got lucky I guess. I connected it to a GI circuit below the wall

#2625 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinbally_1968:

just did, they r all ok

Did you check with a multi meter on ohms setting? I have eyeballed fuses that looked fine but when tested with a multimeter, they turned out to be bad.

#2627 3 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

ok, an update:
as I mentioned I changed all rubbers to black, and learned all shots on this machine. Result: ITS AMAZING!!!
I like hard pinballs, and this is the perfect machine. I got the machine with white rubbers (very bouncy) and they created a type of gameplay I totally didnt like. I put STANDARD (not silicone) black rubbers and now things are so much better. With white rubbers the game was very random, with black now I can:
1. control the ball much better with the flippers
2. nudging on the pin of the outlanes saves much more balls. With white rubbers you can nudge correctly but the ball kept bouncing all around and back to the outlanes.
Anyway I found a simple idea: I put some toothpicks between the posts and the rubber: it only narrowed slightly the outlanes by a couple of mm, but that helps a bit. Set like this, my Shadow rocks!!! It's now a difficult game, but not punishing in an extreme, silly, random way. You constantly need to use soft nudging, slap save, bounce pass, especially dead catch, stay away from outlanes and so on.. but it's all up to the player's skills. With skilled play you can consistently achieve good results, no need to wait for pure luck around the outlanes, as it seems I needed before. No more frustration, and way more fun.
The game is still very hard, and once very experienced I can remove memory between balls relative to some adjustments, and go from 5 to 3 balls. It will be the perfect machine for expert players: great rewards for the skilled, failures for the unskilled. And not too much luck involved.
I AM IN LOVE WITH THE SHADOW!

Only thing you need to do now is get the movie and watch it!!! Then you will be an official club member

#2628 3 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

A video of the spotlite mod

Is this an LED? I didn't think an LED would dim unless there is a OCD board.

#2629 3 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Only thing you need to do now is get the movie and watch it!!! Then you will be an official club member

I watched the movie before buying the machine. Visually very nice, but all the other aspects of the movie are very bad, even embarassing sometimes

#2630 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Is this an LED? I didn't think an LED would dim unless there is a OCD board.

yes a clear 2md faceted wedge bulb

#2631 3 years ago

Whew, finally fixed it.. most difficult fault to find ever. thanks to those who provided input..although it was somethig totally different

#2632 3 years ago

HI, I have LX-2 ROM. IS it worthed upgrading to L-6? which worthed features will I get?

#2633 3 years ago

Is it normal that the back targets on the battlefield don't always drop each time they are hit? Not sure if it's built in to stop you hitting the same one over and over, or if I have some tweaking to do.

#2634 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballNewb:

Is it normal that the back targets on the battlefield don't always drop each time they are hit

No, its gummed up and needs to be cleaned.

#2635 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

I thought as much. Thank you for the quick response!

#2636 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

No, it's normal.

You have to make a set number of hits (30 the first time) before the back targets drop.

#2637 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

No, it's normal.
You have to make a set number of hits (30 the first time) before the back targets drop.

The targets should still drop with each hit, they just dont stay down til you reach the 30 mark

#2638 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

No, it's normal.

They should drop every time you hit them. They just stop coming right back up after 30 battlefield hits.

#2639 3 years ago

I realized I miss the plastic above the lock, but I cannot figure out exactly how it looks like. Can somebody post a pic? Any idea where can I buy it on its own (not as a part of a plastic set)?

#2640 3 years ago

So how does one go about cleaning the drops correctly? I have the assembly off but the targets themselves are riveted in. The best it looks like I can do at this point is use a brush and get down in as much as I can.

20160402_190219_(resized).jpg

#2641 3 years ago

Maybe I'm an idiot and I can get the board off for access? Guess I'm uber careful not to royally fuck something up!

20160402_190833_(resized).jpg

#2642 3 years ago

Ok there's little fasteners on the board side. Just had to talk and drink through it

#2643 3 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

They should drop every time you hit them. They just stop coming right back up after 30 battlefield hits.

Yes, you're right. The guy's question was a bit vague. I thought he believed they should always stay down when hit.

Quoted from PinballNewb:

So how does one go about cleaning the drops correctly? I have the assembly off but the targets themselves are riveted in. The best it looks like I can do at this point is use a brush and get down in as much as I can.

20160402_190219_(resized).jpg

Carefully remove the C-clips holding the targets to the board. You should be able to separate the green board from the targets. Clean the mechanical mechanism and the plastic targets if there is a lot of dirt. The clips are visible in the picture you posted. There are 4 of them

From what I see from your picture, they don't look particularly dirty. Manually push them to see how easily they snap down. If they don't drop or drop slowly when your finger pushes it, they're probably gummed up, and I'd use a q-tip and rubbing alcohol. If they snap down fast and slide up smoothly, they ain't dirty.

#2644 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Yes, you're right. The guy's question was a bit vague. I thought he believed they should always stay down when hit.

Carefully remove the C-clips holding the targets to the board. You should be able to separate the green board from the targets. Clean the mechanical mechanism and the plastic targets if there is a lot of dirt. The clips are visible in the picture you posted. There are 4 of them
From what I see from your picture, they don't look particularly dirty. Manually push them to see how easily they snap down. If they don't drop or drop slowly when your finger pushes it, they're probably gummed up, and I'd use a q-tip and rubbing alcohol. If they snap down fast and slide up smoothly, they ain't dirty.

Got it! Definitely gummed up. These C clips are a pain in the ass! There are more inside. 12 in total.

#2645 3 years ago

My battlefield targets are acting up too. They won't reset after hitting them. They only reset on a new game start. Also when the game is 1st turned on, the target coil fires about 5 or 6 times for no reason.

#2646 3 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

My battlefield targets are acting up too

One or more of the opto switches for the targets is not working. Do a switch test on them.

#2647 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

One or more of the opto switches for the targets is not working. Do a switch test on them.

ok thanks. I figured out which one was acting up and fixed it. Works great now. thanks again

#2648 3 years ago

Wow that was quick!!

#2649 3 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

My battlefield targets are acting up too. They won't reset after hitting them. They only reset on a new game start. Also when the game is 1st turned on, the target coil fires about 5 or 6 times for no reason.

Go into the switch test and see if they are all reporting as open even when they are down. Check the connecter to the board and make sure it's not loose.

Edit...nevermind!

#2650 3 years ago

Drop target bank is now clean as a whistle and snappy as hell. Nothing else to do but play.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
PinSound
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 6672 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 134.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside