Topic Stats

• 6,666 posts
  • 558 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Graysonsdad
  • Topic is favorited by 193 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,771 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200116_225418 (resized).jpg
20200116_225424 (resized).jpg
flip (resized).JPG
30003602 (resized).jpg
20200111_122439 (resized).jpg
20191216_121908 (resized).jpg
20200115_131749 (resized).jpg
shadow (resized).JPG
15790437858503837468966734949378 (resized).jpg
15790297376603489976081907527026 (resized).jpg
Shadow-LockArea-WithoutPlastics(but1guideRemoved) (resized).jpg
Shadow-LockArea-WithPlastics (resized).jpg
IMG_8567 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8565 (resized).jpeg
Shadoiw High Scoire Adjustments (resized).png
20200111_205548 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6666 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 134.
#2251 4 years ago

The Shadow has the mini playfield drop target bank, two diverters (2 coils a piece), two slings, three flippers, two drop targets and a vuk. That's 13 coils and 6 of those are in close proximity in the upper third of the playfield. Take a good amount of time with the playfield up to inspect stitches and their diodes. After 20+ years of all that vibration, it's no stretch to imagine a lot of cracked solder joints or broken diode legs. I know I have to resolder quite s few of them on mine when I picked it up. If this game had pops, it'd probably be a nightmare!

#2252 4 years ago

Completed tear down done. Putting back together this week. I love tearing pins down. But this Shadow will be for sale. PM me if interested.

image.jpeg
image_1.jpeg

#2253 4 years ago
#2254 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Completed tear down done. Putting back together this week. I love tearing pins down. But this Shadow will be for sale. PM me if interested.
image.jpeg
image_1.jpeg

If that sticker is covering wear on the Sanctum, you might as well repair it while the playfield is stripped.

#2255 4 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

If that sticker is covering wear on the Sanctum, you might as well repair it while the playfield is stripped.

Good point.

#2257 4 years ago

Is there a sticker u can buy?

#2258 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Is there a sticker u can buy?

Don't buy the one on EBay, the colors do not match, and it really stands out!

#2259 4 years ago

If that were my Shadow, I'd be tempted to just expose the magnet core through that hole, like in Iron Man. But I'm lazy, and patching holes scares the crap out of me.

[EDIT: I just realized that's a sticker, not a hole. Looks fine to me...]

#2260 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Completed tear down done. Putting back together this week. I love tearing pins down.

My Shadow is in exactly the same state. I'm done with the playfield, but still have a pile of metal to clean.

#2261 4 years ago

If that is the green dot sticker on there, just leave it. I just finished restoring Shadow yesterday, I filled, sanded and used that green dot sticker Trident made... I think it looks like it belongs there, ball stops right in the center of it.

#2262 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I previously posted my paint formula for The Shadow grey earlier in this thread. I received my rebrassed wireforms and finally put my Shadow all back together.
Here is what the paint color looks like for reference: My completed Sanctum repair, all fixed, repainted and Mylar protection to keep it safe moving forward.
image.jpeg

Let me know when you are ready to sell your machine, looks like it would be a beauty! Well done sir!

#2263 4 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Let me know when you are ready to sell your machine, looks like it would be a beauty! Well done sir!

You know you can come play mine, I just finished it yesterday..

#2264 4 years ago
Quoted from balboarules:

Been shopping and repairing my Shadow for a few days, coming along nicely, I was trying to brighten up the battlefield, but everywhere I tried an LED strip I got glare from the strip, so I thought about adding a spot light in the top left corner, it worked out very well actually.. pictures taken with no flash, used a cool white non ghosting LED.. could do any color, but the one spot did the trick, I was going to put them on both sides, but found that just one was good enough. I added a spacer and changed the screw to a longer one for that post to raise up the spot.DSC01892.jpg DSC01893.jpg DSC01894.jpg

I really like what you've done here. Can you let me know what screw sizes/spacers you used for this configuration?

#2265 4 years ago

What am i missing? i bought my first pin a year ago or so (TS) and have enjoyed it but after figuring out what i'm actually doing i have several issues with it. i think the object (?) of the game is to get to wizard mode (have not done it yet!) which would make the ramps/diverters/vengence as well as mongol hurry up/shooting outer loops completely useless toward accomplishing this goal. Seems like it would be a much better game if these were necessary to complete the red scarf (maybe light all four rings and do a three way combo). As it stands i dont see any point in shooting for ramps that brick and drain down the middle every time or getting the ball going lightning speed on the outer loops only to miss it once and drain. Every time i hear ATTACK now i ignore it completely rather than getting excited. When i hit a ramp now, its on accident. Seems to me its a fatal flaw in the game and takes away some of the excitement of playing. just wanted to hear others thoughts...thanks

#2266 4 years ago

I won't agree.

#2267 4 years ago

The Shadow doesn't say "Attack!", does it?

I got Super-Vengeance once playing in a tournament. Not the safest strategy, but I won that round. The ramps aren't hard once you get "dialed in" to the game. I got to the wizard mode in the first week of owning the game - one of the nice things about TS. It's not like Valinor, which I'll never ever see.

#2268 4 years ago
Quoted from madtown:

What am i missing? i bought my first pin a year ago or so (TS) and have enjoyed it but after figuring out what i'm actually doing i have several issues with it. i think the object (?) of the game is to get to wizard mode (have not done it yet!) which would make the ramps/diverters/vengence as well as mongol hurry up/shooting outer loops completely useless toward accomplishing this goal. Seems like it would be a much better game if these were necessary to complete the red scarf (maybe light all four rings and do a three way combo). As it stands i dont see any point in shooting for ramps that brick and drain down the middle every time or getting the ball going lightning speed on the outer loops only to miss it once and drain. Every time i hear ATTACK now i ignore it completely rather than getting excited. When i hit a ramp now, its on accident. Seems to me its a fatal flaw in the game and takes away some of the excitement of playing. just wanted to hear others thoughts...thanks

Yeah, just about any pin has shots and goals that are not necessary to progress to wizard mode, but "only" give points or other rewards.
Some pins are more oriented towards racking up points others are more progression based, most a mix of both. I also enjoy progression oriented pins more as I play alone a lot.
Shadow to me is a perfect balance of score & progression based. You can use the hurry ups and shadow loops to earn points toward or directly activate an extra ball. Vengeance triggered through the ramps i a very cool feature, but it isn't necessary to reach Final Battle. That's the only thing I would have wanted to be implemented. Still you need to be good at the ramps to beat the modes and collect skill shot awards.
Having to complete most of the very different features of the pin (all modes, khan mb, shadow mb, battlefield) is more than most pins of the early/mid 90's require to qualify for wizard mode, Shadow is a winner here. It also has a real wizard mode with distinct goals instead of just an everything's-lit-multiball.

Look at other pins from that time:
STTNG: Slam the ball into the mode start. Again and again until: wizard multiball, yeh!
TZ: Mode start - relight - mode start - relight etc. ... mode start again: Woop woop - surprise - the wizard multiball, yeh!

#2269 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I really like what you've done here. Can you let me know what screw sizes/spacers you used for this configuration?

I would honestly love to give you that information, but honestly I just have a parts bin full of screws, posts, and other items I kept just in case I ever needed them when I parted out a destroyed Maverick pinball. I am not sure of the size of the screw or spacer, the spacer is about the same size as one of those rings that go inside a flipper claw, I had to change the spacer after I posted the picture as I could not slide the glass back on, it was a little too high, so switched the spacer to one of those.. Wish I could be of more help.

#2270 4 years ago
Quoted from madtown:

i think the object (?) of the game is to get to wizard mode

That's one object. If you're purely going for Final Battle, then yes, trying for Vengeance isn't the best strategy. But the beauty of Shadow is you can play it lots of different ways. Pinball is about more than just going for the wizard mode on the good pins.

#2271 4 years ago

I can never get the upper ramp?? Only with an absolutely direct shot with a lot of speed but if it hits the sides at all it does not make it up to the top! I guess i just dont like playing for high score. It seems boring to just do loop shot or battlefield over and over on end simply for a high score. Since i bought fish tales it seems my shadow just sits. At least on fish tales i can hit all the shots and the purpose of the game IS a high score. Might have to look into trading the shadow. Anyone have suggestions for games more similar to FT? dracula, whitewater, or doctor who perhaps (never played them?)

#2272 4 years ago

TBH, I only play my Shadow for the Tim Curry taunting.

#2273 4 years ago
Quoted from madtown:

I can never get the upper ramp?? Only with an absolutely direct shot with a lot of speed but if it hits the sides at all it does not make it up to the top!

What pitch is your game at? Might need to rebuilt your flippers. That shouldn't be a shot that's crazy hard.

#2274 4 years ago

I just rebuilt my flippers, no issues at all with that ramp.

#2275 4 years ago

hmm.. the bubble for the pitch is in the middle of the bottom line (if that makes sense). Just waxed it too.. no help... seems like the flippers are strong enough to me. i can get the ball whizzing around the outside loop pretty good from them and up to the battlefield no problem.. after searching on another thread someone with the same problem suggested removing the metal guide/protector at the bottom of the ramp...any reason to not try this?

#2276 4 years ago
Quoted from madtown:

I can never get the upper ramp?? Only with an absolutely direct shot with a lot of speed but if it hits the sides at all it does not make it up to the top! I guess i just dont like playing for high score. It seems boring to just do loop shot or battlefield over and over on end simply for a high score. Since i bought Fish Tales it seems my Shadow just sits. At least on Fish Tales i can hit all the shots and the purpose of the game IS a high score.

I don't get it - so you want to sell Shadow because it gives you more to do than just chase the high score (as you do in FT)?
Still thinking but the more I think the less i get your point. Why do find playing for points just right on FT, but not on TS???
In the end "the goal" of any pin is making the most points, it seems you find it irritating that Shadow gives you so many different possibilities to rack points up? Maybe there is just to many rules, twists and things to know about the rules that turns you off and you enjoy simpler, "oldschool", one tracked rules more?

Apart from that it sounds like your Shadow has some sort of serious technical problem. All the ramps are not problem to make at all, actually all the shots on Shadow are fast and smooth.

#2277 4 years ago
Quoted from madtown:

hmm.. the bubble for the pitch is in the middle of the bottom line (if that makes sense). Just waxed it too.. no help... seems like the flippers are strong enough to me. i can get the ball whizzing around the outside loop pretty good from them and up to the battlefield no problem.. after searching on another thread someone with the same problem suggested removing the metal guide/protector at the bottom of the ramp...any reason to not try this?

What guide is that? I am looking at mine, there are 2 posts one on each side, then the ramp flap, then ramp..

#2278 4 years ago

the ramp flap is what i'm referencing..

#2279 4 years ago

Not sure how that would improve anything.. When was the last time you inspected the flippers? Last time it was waxed? Are there broken tabs on your ramp that you know of? Are the flippers adjusted correctly (too low or too high perhaps?) I JUST finished shopping/restoring a Shadow I just got, my previous one had no issue with either ramp, and neither does this one, I rebuilt the flippers, found both ramps had broken tabs took them and got them spot welded, Put new flipper bats in, all new rubbers, new coil stops, new sleeves, waxed and buffed the playfield.. ball fly's around the ramps, no problem. I would not remove the ramp flaps..

#2280 4 years ago

By the way, this was actually still in use in the game I got, this was my upper flipper.. the other two were not much betterDSC01898.JPGDSC01899.JPG

#2281 4 years ago
Quoted from balboarules:

ramps had broken tabs

This is a problem mine had. Deflection from the broken ramps absorbed momentum and kept a lot of ramp shots from going in. Replaced with these amazing ramps from Mantis http://www.mantisamusements.com/shadow.htm and don't have that problem any more.

#2282 4 years ago
Quoted from brandsilence:

This is a problem mine had. Deflection from the broken ramps absorbed momentum and kept a lot of ramp shots from going in. Replaced with these amazing ramps from Mantis http://www.mantisamusements.com/shadow.htm and don't have that problem any more.

Ugh, I wish I didn't know those existed! Just a matter of time now. $$$

#2283 4 years ago
Quoted from madtown:

Regarding the hurry-ups, these are common in most games, and very rarely do they have anything to do with progress towards wizard mode. The ramps and orbits... While not being required for the wizard mode per se, are still required to complete in order to do well in the modes (which do count towards Wizard mode). Sure you could just be lazy in the modes and get a low score, but then what's the point? Shots also work toward accruing extra balls.

I think it's good to have a balance of things to achieve, Shadow loops, Vengeance, Super Vengeance, scene bonus, Khan Triple Super Jackpot, Orbit taxi trips (Going to the different locations), Secret Laughter Mode, many combos up to the 7 way combo... All of these which don't necessarily go toward wizard mode).

The way I look at it in summary is it's nice to have additional things to do aside from churning towards the wizard mode... It makes it more of like a random journey towards a goal, instead of a direct checklist of tasks you just need to complete. Remember, Wizard mode is not intended to be a comprehensive collection of achieving everything on the table.

#2284 4 years ago

^ I totally agree with that.

#2285 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Ugh, I wish I didn't know those existed! Just a matter of time now. $$$

RIGHT, sorry! I didn't know about them either until I wanted my previous ramps repaired and re-chromed but couldn't find anyone who would repair. I cringed at the cost myself but they really are a thing of beauty (especially after chrome plating them) - the stock ramps feel like toys compared to these.

#2286 4 years ago

I've been trying various LEDs in my game's GI, and I noticed something odd. When the game is in attract mode (or playing), the LEDS flicker badly (all brands). But as soon as I go into Diagnostics mode, they become rock solid. I suspect this is because Shadow, like Congo, varies the level of GI lighting for effects. So it seems like my choices are to (a) get a GI-OCD board, or (b) go back to incandescent. Did anybody else come to that conclusion?

#2287 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

So it seems like my choices are to (a) get a GI-OCD board, or (b) go back to incandescent. Did anybody else come to that conclusion?

c) go into settings and turn off GI dimming.

#2288 4 years ago

I think there is a setting in the test menue to turn Gi dimming off? Not sure if that's exactly what it's called, but I think it's something like that.

Edit: nvm

#2289 4 years ago

Thanks! I'll try that for now. I'm reading up on GI-OCD too.

#2290 4 years ago

I just did my Shadow with Full Non ghosting LED's, and turned off the GI dimming, no flickers or problems at all.

#2291 4 years ago
Quoted from balboarules:

I just did my Shadow with Full Non ghosting LED's, and turned off the GI dimming, no flickers or problems at all.

Doesnt hurt, but Shadow does fine with regular bulbs too.....

#2292 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Thanks! I'll try that for now. I'm reading up on GI-OCD too.

The OCD products are worth the money, really amazing effect. I should do my Shadow, I have an LED OCD in my Tron.

#2293 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Doesnt hurt, but Shadow does fine with regular bulbs too.....

Shadow definitely can ghost.

#2294 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Shadow definitely can ghost.

Are you sure? I'm using a bunch of different LEDs in inserts right now, and none of them seem to ghost. I'll have to watch them more closely.

#2295 4 years ago

None in mine Aurich....Sometimes a flaky resistor that looks like ghosting can be fixed with a NG...one reason I hear from people of same game, different light ghosting...maybe Im wrong, but no issues here....

#2296 4 years ago

Art, I'm thinking of doing just the controlled lamps of my Shadow and IJ with LEDs. I'm just not a fan of LEDs in the GI, though. I tried a couple of your bulbs and I love them. Do you have controlled lamp onlykits for these two titles?

#2297 4 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Art, I'm thinking of doing just the controlled lamps of my Shadow and IJ with LEDs. I'm just not a fan of LEDs in the GI, though. I tried a couple of your bulbs and I love them. Do you have controlled lamp onlykits for these two titles?

Try the frosted LED bulbs from pinballbulbs.com....they are very nice in the GI...

on a side note, your game played really well at the Houston Expo! Maybe you could help me dial in my new-to-me shadow!

#2298 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

None in mine Aurich....Sometimes a flaky resistor that looks like ghosting can be fixed with a NG...one reason I hear from people of same game, different light ghosting...maybe Im wrong, but no issues here....

Definitely seen it ghost. And no ghost bulbs fixed it. It was only certain inserts though. Ghosting drives me nuts though, I'm pretty hyperconscious of it.

#2299 4 years ago

I have always just gone with non ghosting for the GI and inserts, I have zero ghosting.. I have the frosted cap on the GI lights, I remove the frosted caps on the inserts. No ghosting on any of my games, Sega, Data East, Stern, Williams, Bally. I used regular led's in the past, but it added a trail as the ball was moving around fast, it drove me nuts.. Same with flickering inserts. Once I tried non ghosting, never went back.

#2300 4 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Do you have controlled lamp onlykits for these two titles?

So Sorry that we dont do game specific kits...gosh, so busy now.

We recommend you turn on all lamps, and simply count the colors that you can match with a frosted Twin 2835. If you want Purple, and I love Purple in the inserts, Purple Passion is a great touch.
Look at a bunch of the pictures, as the center modes can be lit many ways, and this is one reason we
dont offer a kit....so many great ways to light!
Wen you finish totaling those, pop the hood, and only note 44/47....there may be/should be a few.

Now you can use 1 SMD frosted, but youd use Warm white for yellow and orange, as they are not bright enough.

About $39 +/- total for Inserts.

If you do wish a kit, the 1 SMD 5050 Insert Kits are available at Cointaker, and Pinball Bulbs...
Both offer the same brightness with same diode, but different color choices likely in some areas.

I just love the Glow of the frosted Twins...

Hope this helps.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
There are 6666 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 134.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside