Topic Stats

• 6,395 posts
  • 547 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 hours ago by Chitownpinball
  • Topic is favorited by 182 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
5F51D3CE-4B35-4FB7-BB58-32327EAC88B0 (resized).jpeg
3DAF91A4-712C-470C-935C-117013F30F0D (resized).jpeg
48055B9C-044A-46BA-910E-46A3560B4F51 (resized).jpeg
71F1189C-E562-46B1-83F4-F538F43F1A8B (resized).jpeg
68791645-AC39-4443-AE0A-CA15D092D469 (resized).jpeg
C69C31BB-EBB2-4410-982F-94BF368C8581 (resized).jpeg
460D7A3C-1F23-4EF1-B4EC-A0DD9F9B299E (resized).jpeg
193E3BEA-9316-4671-9105-D00D3A92E113 (resized).jpeg
97001280-9BAA-4FEF-B2E6-EF1C7329C83E (resized).jpeg
E9E46EDD-3422-4619-8A37-D91AE7E0DFAD (resized).jpeg
924847F8-040D-46BE-9635-7CCFDF87C24A (resized).jpeg
4CFB16D7-743C-4FF5-9F28-1409CD12AD92 (resized).jpeg
EA21CF9E-CE30-4124-82C8-A2B596B13E84 (resized).jpeg
07374025-99AA-443F-A7B5-A4EFC9B57AC2 (resized).jpeg
D86397B5-54FE-4B4C-B11F-36F69983321B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6395 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 128.
#2151 4 years ago

It took about 20 tries, but I finally got the "Secret Laugh Mode" with a multiball! Awesome Easter Egg. Hahahahahahahaha!

#2152 4 years ago

I did those LED strips behind the flippers like that on Baywatch, but had to remove them because they glared badly on the DMD. Maybe because the Baywatch DMD is larger? Do you have that issue? Once I saw the reflection of those strips in the DMD, I couldn't unsee them and it became distracting.

Everything looks super though!

#2153 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Run through the diagnostics for all switches, lamps and coils, and make a complete list of problems. Then you can attack them one at a time. That's my approach whenever I get a new pin. If the auto-fire is going off repeatedly, the game probably thinks there's a ball in the shooter lane. I would check each switch manually. Good luck!

Quoted from woz:

Check the connectors on the 10position opto board under the playfield - maybe one was moved in transit.

Thank you for your quick replies!! - The same "ER MAGNETO OPTO is not working" is still present I have checked the loose wiring, bad connectors and blown fuses. All switches have been checked manually, SW 33 the opto beam that is supposed to be bad does open when a ball crosses the beam. Extended target assembly seems to operate just fine, physically. During MAGNET test, seems magnet never energizes.. ball never captured. Also If I hit the start button game goes haywire...perpetual multiball, scoring and balls firing. Im perplexed on next steps at the moment. Positive upside is I am learning the machine.... just not the game play!... Any ideas...?

#2154 4 years ago

I am working on diffusion methods...Silicone Paper works fine, but I am testing more. Ill have other solutions, DIY soon, and if needed, add in production.
I was also able to lessen the reflection by lowering the brightness.
I have gotten use to it after about a dozen games, and it isnt focused on...

#2155 4 years ago

oldpinguy where can i get the shadow kit?

#2156 4 years ago

We will be announcing the Release of our Matrix products, hopefully this week....awaiting one more shipment.

Art
Comet Pinball

#2157 4 years ago

First revision. I'll take off the playfield glass and see what I missed or screwed up. Be sure to click the pic to embiggen it.

#2158 4 years ago

Great mind map. 2 things to consider off the top of my head:

A breakout for the 2 way combo (left loop to upper loop) which increases by 2 mil for each completion.

And is it super vengeance when you hit all four ramps in a row to start then all four again?

#2159 4 years ago
Quoted from nutshell79:

And is it super vengeance when you hit all four ramps in a row to start then all four again?

Super Vengeance comes from starting or completing vengeance off a combo, but I'm not sure if you need all 4. I think you do to get it at the start, but not sure if you need the 4 way combo to get it once it's started or not.

#2160 4 years ago

Thanks guys. I also found some more cool stuff with the glass off...

Scene ending animations are really cool, needs ColorDMD!

Loop combos are worth 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, 32x (max). So a 4-way loop combo, for example, is worth (1+2+4+8)M, or 15M total.

Discovered the max points available for each mode, if completed (e.g. B. Sphere is 125M, Underwater Doom is 175M).

SuperLoops (20M per loop) ends when the ball drains.

Farley can't be killed at the default setting of 30 seconds, even with the glass off.

Hotel Monolith: I'm moving this to the multiball section, because it rocks. Also, it's not a timed mode. Mongols are worth 11-16M, and go out when hit. Completing all Mongols is worth 30M, and relights all Mongol shots.

#2161 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Farley can't be killed at the default setting of 30 seconds, even with the glass off.

Sure he can. Stack him with the Battlefield.

#2162 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Scene ending animations are really cool, needs ColorDMD!

Wait, what? Did I miss coloring a scene?!? (or more?)

Nice rules map for the game. Well done!!

#2163 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Sure he can. Stack him with the Battlefield.

Ah! So many cool secrets in this game. I even read that today and forgot it.

#2164 4 years ago
Quoted from nerbflong:

Wait, what? Did I miss coloring a scene?!? (or more?)
Nice rules map for the game. Well done!!

No, I mean that my LOTR may lose its ColorDMD until Christmas - Shadow deserves it!

#2165 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

No, I mean that my LOTR may lose its ColorDMD until Christmas - Shadow deserves it!

Hah! Yes, yes it does! The Shadow is an amazing game!

#2166 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

First revision. I'll take off the playfield glass and see what I missed or screwed up. Be sure to click the pic to embiggen it.
Shadow-Mind-Map.png

Much appreciated that you put this together....I have had shadow for about a month...I realized it is a deep game over that time, and I am so far from any major accomplishments on it, but reading the mind map just blows my mind as to how much there is in this game and how hard it is. Should challenge me for a long time.... and maybe I am in the minority, but I think the movie is pretty decent!

#2167 4 years ago

Movie is okay, it's a product of the era it came from. We're used to a higher quality superhero flick now, it's not as strong in a post Batman Begins world for instance. But they really did a great job of capturing it in the pin, it's worth watching if you own the game just to see how that all works.

And it's still one of my top pinballs of all time.

#2168 4 years ago

The mind map has its limitations, but it's handy. It reminds me of those classes where the teacher says you can bring ONE sheet of notes into the exam, so you cram as many formulas as you can into it. I try to get about 90-95% of the game's rules into these diagrams.

#2169 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

The mind map has its limitations, but it's handy. It reminds me of those classes where the teacher says you can bring ONE sheet of notes into the exam, so you cram as many formulas as you can into it. I try to get about 90-95% of the game's rules into these diagrams.

I'd love to see one of these for Alien some day!

#2170 4 years ago
Quoted from nutshell79:

There seems to be a Super Vengeance award and a Super Vengeance mode, which are independent of each other.

The Super Vengeance award is collected by hitting the final flashing ring as a combo in either Vengeance or Super Vengeance mode. It doesn't need to be a four-way combo, two-way will do; just hit any ring, flashing or lit, and then hit the final flashing ring for 100 million (ordinary Vengeance award is 50 million).

Super Vengeance mode is started by hitting all four ramps consecutively, ending with the last ramp left flashing. You do not need all four rings flashing to perform the combo (i.e. if you light three rings and then lose control of the ball, you can still start Super Vengeance mode by hitting the three lit rings again followed by the flashing ring). The only advantage of Super Vengeance seems to be that the ramps start at 10 million rather than 5. They still only increase by 2 million each time. Collecting EITHER a Vengeance or Super Vengeance award during Super Vengeance mode restarts Super Vengeance mode. Collecting a Super Vengeance award during ordinary Vengeance mode DOES NOT start Super Vengeance mode, even if you hit all four ramps in a combo- it will restart Vengeance.

Sorry for the convoluted explanation. It's a convoluted ruleset.

#2171 4 years ago

I heard rumblings that on eof the top directors wanted to redo shadow with a more modern superhero quality production. My guess in the next 5-10 years we see new Shadow movie...Theme was big for like 30 years. It ran forever on radio.

#2172 4 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

I heard rumblings that on eof the top directors wanted to redo Shadow with a more modern superhero quality production. My guess in the next 5-10 years we see new Shadow movie...Theme was big for like 30 years. It ran forever on radio.

That's cool news. The Shadow actually is a killer theme, kind of like a Superhero for a slightly more mature audience.

It is the predecessor of Batman after all and just look what awesome movies Nolan made from that worn out theme.

#2173 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Movie is okay, it's a product of the era it came from. We're used to a higher quality superhero flick now, it's not as strong in a post Batman Begins world for instance. But they really did a great job of capturing it in the pin, it's worth watching if you own the game just to see how that all works.
And it's still one of my top pinballs of all time.

Agree with you, folks should watch the movie at least once. I now have had my Shadow for about a year. It's a fun game, it just hasn't connected with me for some reason. I am debating trading it now for something else.

#2174 4 years ago

Oldpinguy, have your new matrix strips been released?

#2175 4 years ago

If I make it through this week. likely Wednesday....

#2176 4 years ago

As someone with almost zero experience working on pinball machines (the shadow is my first and only one) how do i check the optos for the mini playfield kicker. I looked at them unscrewed and the solder is good. When the playfield does the test it moves the kicker to the left and doesn't stop till it grinds out for about 2 seconds first. I took some pics and it looks like the gear is a metal one and in good shape so probably replaced.20151101_115733.jpg20151101_115905.jpg20151101_115917.jpg20151101_115950.jpg20151101_120115.jpg20151101_120349.jpg20151101_120545.jpg

This last picture of the connection is from the mini playfield and i'm guessing its in the correct location I didn't take a picture beforehand to verify where it goes. (i stripped the whole playfield and i'm still fixing the last few issues now as i put it all back together

#2177 4 years ago

And a quick startup video, I'm trying to fix things before playing the game. Do I have lights out all over the place? or does the startup scene not actually fire every light on the table.

#2178 4 years ago
Quoted from tachi:

Do I have lights out all over the place?

Maybe, or you may have other issues. Read the manual and use test functions. You can have the machine turn all the lamps on at once. Then you can look for burn bulbs.

#2179 4 years ago

I just rejoined the club.. finally..

I am having no luck finding one of those green dots to cover the sanctum wear, I read they came on a sheet of 9.. anyone have just 1 to sell me?

Thanks
Steve

#2180 4 years ago

steve, sanctum sticker overlays on ebay!

#2181 4 years ago

Pinsider Trident has the green circle stickers....a little hard to peel, needed an exacto, but
the perfect solution.

#2182 4 years ago

Love my Shadow. Just need to sort some battlefield lighting out.

20151020_081215_HDR~2.jpg

#2183 4 years ago

I sent Trident a PM, did not hear back.. Just sent another to him.

I know about the ones on EBay, but they are not the correct color, and I would not be happy with that, I love the green circle... if anyone else has an extra or two they would like to sell me, please PM me.

Thanks all
Steve

#2184 4 years ago

It took a week for my response on the decals.....

Quoted from Beeper:

Love my Shadow. Just need to sort some battlefield lighting out.

Plenty of colors and lengths in 6.3V strips coming out next week....

#2185 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

It took a week for my response on the decals.....

Plenty of colors and lengths in 6.3V strips coming out next week....

Brilliant. What colour d'ya reckon would look best?!

#2186 4 years ago

Where would you place the strips for the battlefield?

#2187 4 years ago

I tried a long 20" white, but settled on Purple above the playfield, and a lower brightness on the white for the right...(2- 10" strips)
All personal. They peel and stick to the plastic glass holder trim, and plug into bulbs in the GI.
there is a reflection on the mini playfield of the strip...seen in pics above, so I am working on a way to diffuse.....I am sure others
will come up with ideas, but after a week of play, I dont notice it....

Took about 5 minutes, about $10-$14, depending on method.

I am awaiting one freaking box of splitters that didnt show up yesterday to release......
I am told, they are shipping tomorrow......

Art

#2188 4 years ago

I attached a strip to a post up on the battlefield. Also a strip tied to the center flasher of the bf that is attached to the black plastic facing the bf for some epileptic fun up there.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

#2189 4 years ago

I recently added spots and all LEDs. Comet Opmax in the slings, outlane guides, spots and lots of various LEDs from comet and others I already had. Spots make a big difference. Ice blue on the left highlights the Playfield blue while yellow on the right brings out the gold in the wire forms. I'm going to place a purple comet strip under the flat metal bit where the ball does a 180 in the launch wireform, as well as light up the battlefield. I'm concerned that the ball will strobe in the battlefield if I use an LED strip. image.jpegimage.jpeg

#2190 4 years ago

Looks beautiful. I like how you've focused on pulling out the blue and gold.

I've been looking to add some spotlights to my Shadow but am unsure how to proceed... Are there any guides on what materials are needed and what socket on the GI should I attach the lighting wiring to? For example in terms of materials, I get that I'll need the spotlight and LED, but for example what size post/ additional screws/nuts would I need to mount it (how does it attach to the slingshot, etc)?

#2191 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Looks beautiful. I like how you've focused on pulling out the blue and gold.
I've been looking to add some spotlights to my Shadow but am unsure how to proceed... Are there any guides on what materials are needed and what socket on the GI should I attach the lighting wiring to?

Here's my writeup on adding spotlights to Dirty Harry, with a few pics and tips:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-spotlight-thread

This post has the best details:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-spotlight-thread#post-701535

#2192 4 years ago

I'm not sure if that's a TS only issue, but my bottom right flipper is not so responsive as it should be. TS has upper right flipper which is triggered after the bottom one. It's really hard to do a fliper pass with my bottom right. It's dropping few miliseconds later. Both flippers are shopped with new coils. Could it be the opto switch board?
How's your TS bottom right flipper acting?
Maybe a video would help. I'll try to record one later.

#2193 4 years ago
Quoted from ALY:

I'm not sure if that's a TS only issue, but my bottom right flipper is not so responsive as it should be. TS has upper right flipper which is triggered after the bottom one. It's really hard to do a fliper pass with my bottom right. It's dropping few miliseconds later. Both flippers are shopped with new coils. Could it be the opto switch board?
How's your TS bottom right flipper acting?
Maybe a video would help. I'll try to record one later.

Check the optos and also check the flipper hardware itself, especially the rod that rides through the coil. On mine, the end of that rod that strikes the coil stops started to become mushroomed and would cause my flippers to get hung in the up position or return slowly. if you didn't replace all the hardware when you did the coils, this may be a recent development.

#2194 4 years ago

I've started shopping out my Shadow. Huge pile of metal parts on the floor. I've hit the playfield with Novus2, and I'm planning to shine it up with the Treasure Cove polishing kit. My one concern is that I can feel the inserts, and that means the clear is thin there, right? I'll start with the battlefield to get some practice first.

image.jpg

image_1.jpg

#2195 4 years ago
Quoted from tachi:

As someone with almost zero experience working on pinball machines (The Shadow is my first and only one) how do i check the optos for the mini playfield kicker. I looked at them unscrewed and the solder is good. When the playfield does the test it moves the kicker to the left and doesn't stop till it grinds out for about 2 seconds first. I took some pics and it looks like the gear is a metal one and in good shape so probably replaced.20151101_115733.jpg 20151101_115905.jpg 20151101_115917.jpg 20151101_115950.jpg 20151101_120115.jpg 20151101_120349.jpg 20151101_120545.jpg
This last picture of the connection is from the mini playfield and i'm guessing its in the correct location I didn't take a picture beforehand to verify where it goes. (i stripped the whole playfield and i'm still fixing the last few issues now as i put it all back together

I see your issue. PM me your cell. To much to type.

#2196 4 years ago

During start up, my shape knocks 2 times, I have tried to google it, but no answer found. Does anyone know what that means?

Axl

#2197 4 years ago

Been shopping and repairing my Shadow for a few days, coming along nicely, I was trying to brighten up the battlefield, but everywhere I tried an LED strip I got glare from the strip, so I thought about adding a spot light in the top left corner, it worked out very well actually.. pictures taken with no flash, used a cool white non ghosting LED.. could do any color, but the one spot did the trick, I was going to put them on both sides, but found that just one was good enough. I added a spacer and changed the screw to a longer one for that post to raise up the spot.DSC01892.jpgDSC01893.jpgDSC01894.jpg

#2198 4 years ago

I must be the only person who likes my battlefield dark. Goes well with the dark theme of the game. I briefly thought about adding a spot but I did a test first. I played a lot of games during the day with great light and then I played a lot of games at night with no lights on in the room. I didn't find my performance on the Battlefield affected much in either situation, so I just left it as is.

#2199 4 years ago

Hello, I just joined the club! I read something about this pin, but it will take time ti digest all the knowledge contained only in this thread, so be patient if I ask something obvious - maybe just point me to the right link if you can.

So, I've seen at least 4 different translite for this pin, and my fav is Aurich's. Is this translite shipped togheter with the speaker panel? Is there somebody willing to sell it?

#2200 4 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

Hello, I just joined the club! I read something about this pin, but it will take time ti digest all the knowledge contained only in this thread, so be patient if I ask something obvious - maybe just point me to the right link if you can.
So, I've seen at least 4 different translite for this pin, and my fav is Aurich's. Is this translite shipped togheter with the speaker panel? Is there somebody willing to sell it?

Aurich sold the translite and speaker panel together. Last I heard, he was out and has yet to make another run of it. Also, the selling rules for the site have changed drastically in the last week. You may be best served by sending Aurich a PM.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
3,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Rehoboth Beach, DE
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 6395 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 128.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside