Topic Stats

• 6,666 posts
  • 558 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Graysonsdad
  • Topic is favorited by 193 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,771 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200116_225418 (resized).jpg
20200116_225424 (resized).jpg
flip (resized).JPG
30003602 (resized).jpg
20200111_122439 (resized).jpg
20191216_121908 (resized).jpg
20200115_131749 (resized).jpg
shadow (resized).JPG
15790437858503837468966734949378 (resized).jpg
15790297376603489976081907527026 (resized).jpg
Shadow-LockArea-WithoutPlastics(but1guideRemoved) (resized).jpg
Shadow-LockArea-WithPlastics (resized).jpg
IMG_8567 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8565 (resized).jpeg
Shadoiw High Scoire Adjustments (resized).png
20200111_205548 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6666 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 134.
#1951 4 years ago

Hoping my ColorDMD arrives today or tomorrow. Also waiting for the shaker motor for my Baywatch to arrive. Might be a pinball modding weekend if I'm lucky.

#1952 4 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I've had The Shadow for about 4 years now.
This is the 1st time I've heard of the laugh mode.
I guess I need to read the manuals more often...LOL

It's a secret mode. It's not in the manual.

#1953 4 years ago
Quoted from oohlou:

Thanks! I couldn't believe it. If I can get 250M+ I consider it a good game and my all time high before that game was ~660M. That game everything just clicked. I got 1.19B which was awesome but also disappointing because it was just 7M away from high score #4!
I am really enjoying Shadow. It is a great pin.

thats good stuff right there. pretty much where I am at with this game. final battle once in almost a year. this game will never lave my collection and if you see what I have run through in the last year thats a strong statement. Shadow=awesome

#1955 4 years ago

IIRC The only problem with the Secret Laughing Mode is that it prevents you from starting the other modes while it's running; the shot required to start Laughing Mode would have started a mode that would have got you closer to Final Battle....

Good fun to do every now and then though. Who says The Shadow is a dark theme with no sense of humour

#1956 4 years ago

Damn ColorDMD isn't arriving until Tuesday. Man, I'd think shipping would be quicker for $400 plus $20 for shipping.

#1957 4 years ago

Don't forget the duck displayed on the DMD....that's when you pull the trigger. The other easter egg is the cows, forgot how that one is started.

#1958 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

My favorite thing on Shadow is stacking Secret Laugh mode with Vengeance. That minor chord piano banging away with the insane laughter over it is the best. Highly recommend you try and pull it off.

Don't forget to add in a multiball so you have all 3 going! The cows come on the screen once in awhile by draining down either outlane.

#1959 4 years ago

My favorite game

#1960 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Great info! I'll be doing my Sanctum repair soon.

Great! Let me know how it goes, and in terms of tweaks:
-Should your paint mix be too yellow, add a drop of purple.
-Should your mix be too purple, add a drop of yellow.
-Then test your tint and lighten with a drop or two of white as required.

#1961 4 years ago

I finally concentrated and got to the secret laughter mode this weekend. It was pretty cool. Approaching 6 months of ownership and I still haven't made it to the final battle or even busted 1B on the scoreboard. I'm not a great player, though.

#1962 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Okay, just have to say this: if you don't have the ColorDMD in your Shadow then sell some plasma or your body on a street corner, come up with the $400, and get rid of that orange display that will never grace my Shadow again.
This video really doesn't even do it justice, since it's a camera pointed at an LCD screen and just doesn't show the colors as vibrant as they really are. Plus it's set to tile mode, and everyone knows the DotsXL are the best, keeps that nice round original look.
» YouTube video

i have yet to see one in person but I am not seeing the value in 400 bucks to add color to these dmds. still looks old and archaic kinda like one of these:

lite-bright-03.jpg

#1963 4 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

i have yet to see one in person but I am not seeing the value in 400 bucks to add color to these dmds.

5 out of my 6 DMD games have ColorDMDs installed. Game 6 will too once Tron is released. But to each their own. I can't go back to orange now.

#1964 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

5 out of my 6 DMD games have ColorDMDs installed. Game 6 will too once Tron is released. But to each their own. I can't go back to orange now.

no question it looks better but 400 bucks is a lot of dough. you have 2k into these that's enough for a halfway decent machine but I get it. thats why there's red cars and green cars

#1965 4 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

i have yet to see one in person but I am not seeing the value in 400 bucks to add color to these dmds. still looks old and archaic kinda like one of these:

lite-bright-03.jpg

My ColorDMD arrives tomorrow (seriously, the slow shipping SUCKS) and I'll finally see one in person and be able to judge for myself. I agree that $400 is a large amount for a mod, but I had most of that sitting in a slot machine of mine so I used those for the purchase. Hope it's worth it.

#1966 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

My ColorDMD arrives tomorrow (seriously, the slow shipping SUCKS) and I'll finally see one in person and be able to judge for myself. I agree that $400 is a large amount for a mod, but I had most of that sitting in a slot machine of mine so I used those for the purchase. Hope it's worth it.

I know you are gonna like it PoMC. How do I know this? You spent 400 bucks on it so you pretty much have to lol. The real question is how much more enjoyment do you get while playing it or just looking at it in the lineup. I could be wrong but just like you have to like it cuz you spent the cabbage, I don't want to like it. I spend a LOT of money on pin/stuff already and this would really increase it a ton because I would do what aurich did. you cant have just one in the lineup ya gotta improve everything or you get "that" feeling. just for kicks though...aurich take a pic of all 5 turned on?

#1967 4 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

I finally concentrated and got to the secret laughter mode this weekend. It was pretty cool. Approaching 6 months of ownership and I still haven't made it to the final battle or even busted 1B on the scoreboard. I'm not a great player, though.

I feel ya, I almost hit a billion last month. 934 million is my highest score. It is a tough one.

#1968 4 years ago

So I finally got my Shadow yesterday and I love it. A few hours into playing, I noticed the upper diverter was in the middle when it was supposed to be on the on the side. So basically it will either be in the middle or one side. Upon inspection, it seemed like the diverter has a TON on play in it when you hold the coil plunger you can still move the diverter a great deal. Anyone had this before? A DIY fix for a newbie? Thanks for all of your help!

#1969 4 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

i have yet to see one in person but I am not seeing the value in 400 bucks to add color to these dmds.

I kind of fell the same way -- I'm sure it will look cool, but I've been telling myself that the original DMD gives Shadow an old-school look that's appropriate to the art deco style of the game. In that vein, I'd love to see a black and white (or grayscale) DMD on the game.

#1970 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

I feel ya, I almost hit a billion last month. 934 million is my highest score. It is a tough one.

I like how there's a separate leaderboard if you use the buy-in. So you can't try to pass it off as a 3-ball game.

#1971 4 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

I know you are gonna like it PoMC. How do I know this? You spent 400 bucks on it so you pretty much have to lol. The real question is how much more enjoyment do you get while playing it or just looking at it in the lineup. I could be wrong but just like you have to like it cuz you spent the cabbage, I don't want to like it. I spend a LOT of money on pin/stuff already and this would really increase it a ton because I would do what aurich did. you cant have just one in the lineup ya gotta improve everything or you get "that" feeling. just for kicks though...aurich take a pic of all 5 turned on?

No ColorDMDs are available for my other games yet though, so buying more won't be an issue.

But Baywatch will never get one, No Fear I wouldn't bother doing, Breakshot will never be done - and will be gone from my lineup soon, same with X-Files. But might consider one for TFTC.

#1972 4 years ago

I have three and I love them. Wouldn't even consider going back to the orange DMD. A big pluss is you don't ever have to worry about the high voltage section of the display board. Remember when the DMD could degas and you'd end up with a bad DMD and smoked board? No chance of that now. Considering the price of machines now, I don't sweat being $1200 into the DMDs. Hell, you can barely find a busted HH or Pinbot for $1200 anymore.

#1973 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I kind of fell the same way -- I'm sure it will look cool, but I've been telling myself that the original DMD gives Shadow an old-school look that's appropriate to the art deco style of the game. In that vein, I'd love to see is a black and white (or grayscale) DMD on the game.

black and white would look better than orange and maybe even better than color. color has a fisher-pricey look to it imo

#1974 4 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

black and white would look better than orange and maybe even better than color. color has a fisher-pricey look to it imo

Yeah, I don't know if ColorDMD has a setting you can easily toggle to do grayscale, but if so it'd be awesome if someone could shoot a little video and post it. I've always thought that'd look cool on a Shadow.

#1975 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Yeah, I don't know if ColorDMD has a setting you can easily toggle to do grayscale, but if so it'd be awesome if someone could shoot a little video and post it. I've always thought that'd look cool on a Shadow.

Yes, in Sigma mode you can choose monochrome. I think it's up to 34 different colors or so now. You can select white as the color. Don't forget that the color DMD also has 3 or 4 upscaling modes as well and you can upscale in full color now.

#1976 4 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

I have three and I love them. Wouldn't even consider going back to the orange DMD. A big pluss is you don't ever have to worry about the high voltage section of the display board. Remember when the DMD could degas and you'd end up with a bad DMD and smoked board? No chance of that now. Considering the price of machines now, I don't sweat being $1200 into the DMDs. Hell, you can barely find a busted HH or Pinbot for $1200 anymore.

good point on the hv circuitry. i have a need for an hv board right now so I could steal that from shadow and put into taf then blow the 400 on color for shadow right? that would bring it down to 310 but thats still alot.

new dmd is 160 and hv board is 90. thats 250.

#1977 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

The SIGMA ROM for the ColorDMD can display monochrome in more than 90 different colors and 6 different display effects. But once you go color, you're unlikely to use it.

#1978 4 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Yes, in Sigma mode you can choose monochrome. I think it's up to 34 different colors or so now. You can select white as the color. Don't forget that the color DMD also has 3 or 4 upscaling modes as well and you can upscale in full color now.

so you can choose from any of the 34 colors also? how hard is that to do? the ability to give them 34/35 different looks is pretty cool actually if that is the case. bsd is a good example. that red looks awful to me

#1979 4 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

good point on the hv circuitry. i have a need for an hv board right now so I could steal that from Shadow and put into taf then blow the 400 on color for Shadow right? that would bring it down to 310 but thats still alot.
new dmd is 160 and hv board is 90. thats 250.

People like what they like. I didn't hesitate to buy the DMD but i'm not interested in the Aurich translate and speaker panel at all. I think it's great, it's just that the originals don't bother me. I think the what the color DMD adds was worth the price. Other's might not, but think that the alt translate and speaker panel are. Some might want both, but that's just crazy talk.

#1980 4 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

The SIGMA ROM for the ColorDMD can display monochrome in more than 90 different colors and 6 different display effects. But once you go color, you're unlikely to use it.
» YouTube video
» YouTube video

any video of the color not so close up. that camera must have been right on top of the dmd. panned back to where you would be standing probably makes it look a lot better

#1981 4 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

so you can choose from any of the 34 colors also? how hard is that to do? the ability to give them 34/35 different looks is pretty cool actually if that is the case. bsd is a good example. that red looks awful to me

There are four buttons on the back of the display that allow you to change display settings... COLOR, STYLE, VERTICAL ADJ, CONTRAST, and BACKLIGHT. The outer buttons traverse the menus, and the inner buttons change the setting. The number of available colors is currently set to 97.

#1982 4 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

see the color DMD post. I had no idea it was that many colors as I never change them from the colorized roms. I do know that to cycle through the monochrome colors, it's just one button to press. just lift off the translate and adjust it until you find the hue you like.

#1983 4 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

color has a fisher-pricey look to it imo

I've never once had that feeling looking at any of my games in color. Not trying to talk you into it, if you're not a fan it's all good! Just saying, if you haven't seen on in person yet then I'd wait to judge until you get a chance. It's really a great upgrade. You keep all of the original dots the artist put in, but the color brings out so much of the detail, I see things in the ColorDMDs all the time that I missed in the original.

#1984 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I've never once had that feeling looking at any of my games in color. Not trying to talk you into it, if you're not a fan it's all good! Just saying, if you haven't seen on in person yet then I'd wait to judge until you get a chance. It's really a great upgrade. You keep all of the original dots the artist put in, but the color brings out so much of the detail, I see things in the ColorDMDs all the time that I missed in the original.

Look at my avatar and repeat after me "must not buy..." lol.

#1985 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

So I finally got my Shadow yesterday and I love it. A few hours into playing, I noticed the upper diverter was in the middle when it was supposed to be on the on the side. So basically it will either be in the middle or one side. Upon inspection, it seemed like the diverter has a TON on play in it when you hold the coil plunger you can still move the diverter a great deal. Anyone had this before? A DIY fix for a newbie? Thanks for all of your help!

I rebuilt both my diverters with new brackets, coils, armatures, and everything. Not necessary for you, but I am picky. I recommend you get with Marco specialties and order 2 new armatures for both diverters. Replace both and it will take the play out of them. While you have the diverters off replace the e-clips on both diverters, because sometimes they can get warped and cause a little play. If your diverter is in the middle of the ramp then you need to adjust it by loosening the armature set screws and realigning the diverter. A loose set screw is probably why it is stopping in the middle anyway.

#1986 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

I rebuilt both my diverters with new brackets, coils, armatures, and everything. Not necessary for you, but I am picky. I recommend you get with Marco specialties and order 2 new armatures for both diverters. Replace both and it will take the play out of them. While you have the diverters off replace the e-clips on both diverters, because sometimes they can get warped and cause a little play. If your diverter is in the middle of the ramp then you need to adjust it by loosening the armature set screws and realigning the diverter. A loose set screw is probably why it is stopping in the middle anyway.

Thanks! Any idea which "armature" There are a few from the game at Marco...

http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch;jsessionid=539A32E32F8E3DDBB4522A07D5B17F3C.jvm1?SEARCH_STRING=the+shadow+armatures

#1987 4 years ago

this is what you likely need. you will find the slot that links it to the armature rounded out if so.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-18983

be careful removing the roll pin that links it to the armature. the armature has a slot milled into it that this crank slides into the is held in place by the roll pin. the slot area is weakened by the missing metal so if you start pounding away with a punch to get that roll pin out you can break the armature. that is not available. get some pins too

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/P-1637-59

#1988 4 years ago

Also, make sure that both assemblies have the spring. If it's missing, the diverter will drift during play.

#1989 4 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

There are four buttons on the back of the display that allow you to change display settings... COLOR, STYLE, VERTICAL ADJ, CONTRAST, and BACKLIGHT. The outer buttons traverse the menus, and the inner buttons change the setting. The number of available colors is currently set to 97.

pretty sweet. thanks for the detailed answer

#1990 4 years ago

thanks for that, my right diverter needs rebuilding also, I've been playing without it for long. Marco's site shows these items are out of stock.

it is one year anniversary of me having a Shadow pinball and I don't think it's going anywhere soon. Great flow and geometry, it makes me sometimes just enjoy getting ball up to high speed and running smoothly, great zen feeling of empty mind and oneness with the energy flow while playing it. Would love some budget suggestion about other pins with same quality (but as different as possible to add some variety, for instance, with a left upper flipper).

However I noticed some things I suspect might not be like that on every machine:

1) If you hold upper flipper while the ball is coming via inner loop, you don't hit side saucer - instead it goes right into left outlane. To hit a saucer you have to time the flip to where the ball is mid flipper and slam it. I like it better this way, it make you work for it and the feeling you slam the ball and it starts Khan is fantastic. This coupled with new rubbers on mode start saucer lane makes starting modes and getting to final battle tough on my copy.

However, I find orbit shots interesting and non-symetrical, can you check if this is what Brian Eddy intended:

2) left orbit functions like a loop pass, it feeds to right flipper
3) right orbit is different - it feeds to left flipper, but only if it is raised. If the flipper is down, it is a drain 100% of the time on any smooth fast right orbit shot. Raised flipper also bounces ball high up the playfield out of control, so no loop passes to right flipper unless I master some better catch technique.

#1991 4 years ago
Quoted from Ika:

Would love some budget suggestion about other pins with same quality (but as different as possible to add some variety, for instance, with a left upper flipper).

bsd should be priced a bit lower and is just as good as shadow while being entirely different

#1992 4 years ago
Quoted from Ika:

Raised flipper also bounces ball high up the playfield out of control, so no loop passes to right flipper unless I master some better catch technique.

on a fast loop shot you wont be able to catch it unless you have lighting fast reflexes and hand eye coordination from my experience

#1993 4 years ago
Quoted from Ika:

thanks for that, my right diverter needs rebuilding also, I've been playing without it for long. Marco's site shows these items are out of stock.
it is one year anniversary of me having a Shadow pinball and I don't think it's going anywhere soon. Great flow and geometry, it makes me sometimes just enjoy getting ball up to High Speed and running smoothly, great zen feeling of empty mind and oneness with the energy flow while playing it. Would love some budget suggestion about other pins with same quality (but as different as possible to add some variety, for instance, with a left upper flipper).
However I noticed some things I suspect might not be like that on every machine:
1) If you hold upper flipper while the ball is coming via inner loop, you don't hit side saucer - instead it goes right into left outlane. To hit a saucer you have to time the flip to where the ball is mid flipper and slam it. I like it better this way, it make you work for it and the feeling you slam the ball and it starts Khan is fantastic. This coupled with new rubbers on mode start saucer lane makes starting modes and getting to final battle tough on my copy.
However, I find orbit shots interesting and non-symetrical, can you check if this is what Brian Eddy intended:
2) left orbit functions like a loop pass, it feeds to right flipper
3) right orbit is different - it feeds to left flipper, but only if it is raised. If the flipper is down, it is a drain 100% of the time on any smooth fast right orbit shot. Raised flipper also bounces ball high up the playfield out of control, so no loop passes to right flipper unless I master some better catch technique.

I have BSD and Shadow next to each other and I think they complement each other well. BSD has more forced randomness than Shadow but they both play very fast and are unforgiving of mistakes.

The questions you raised are interesting. I have no idea what is correct but I can comment on how mine plays:

Left orbit with upper flipper raised: ball bounces on the rubber right below the KHAN saucer. The ball usually bounces back to just above the upper flipper giving me a chance for a more controlled shot at KHAN or the inner loop.

Left orbit with upper flipper down: Ball goes to the top 3rd of the left flipper. Relatively easy to get under control.

Right orbit: Ball goes to the top 10th of the left flipper. The ball will drain unless you flip the ball. Hard to get under control.

#1994 4 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

speaker panel from agodfrey. if you like this alt translite hit me up and I will find the guy i got it from

20150904_214603_resized.jpg

Yes that translight is far better than having to look at Alec Baldwin all the time, and it goes much better with the Cab artwork. IMO the translight is the worst thing about The Shadow.

#1995 4 years ago
Quoted from paulywalnuts23:

Yes that translight is far better than having to look at Alec Baldwin all the time, and it goes much better with the Cab artwork. IMO the translight is the worst thing about The Shadow.

followed immediately by that horrendous speak panel then the farley scene music/callouts. aside from those three this game is completely awesome. aurich has/had the best translite/panel/score card package but this was considerably less. He was out or i would have bought his

#1996 4 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

followed immediately by that horrendous speak panel then the farley scene music/callouts. aside from those three this game is completely awesome. aurich has/had the best translite/panel/score card package but this was considerably less. He was out or i would have bought his

can you PM me where you got that translate and speaker panel? thanks!

#1997 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

can you PM me where you got that translate and speaker panel? thanks!

stand by

#1998 4 years ago
Quoted from Ika:

Would love some budget suggestion about other pins with same quality

I think Johnny Mnemonic is a good compliment to this machine.

#1999 4 years ago
Quoted from brandsilence:

I think Johnny Mnemonic is a good compliment to this machine.

Yes.. I bought both in the last 6 months.

#2000 4 years ago
Quoted from Ika:

Would love some budget suggestion about other pins with same quality (but as different as possible to add some variety, for instance, with a left upper flipper).

I was recently thinking about this also, because the Shadow has such rich and well thought out gameplay, it makes me want other pins like it.

I think Congo is a sure bet. I haven't spent a lot of time on one, but I liked what I played.

Another is No Good Gophers. Both are on my if one comes along, list.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 11.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations
There are 6666 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 134.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside