IMG_0517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0701 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0513 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1404 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1405 (resized).JPEG
IMG_7706 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,927 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 219.
#1801 8 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Hi all, I'm thinking of biting the bullet and joining the club. I have the opportunity to buy a Shadow in the $3-4K range. Here are some photos of The Shadow I'm looking at purchasing. I'll be traveling out to test it in person.
I'm relatively new to the pinball scene. Can you please recommend there anything I should keep an eye out for, or if you see any red flags in the photos that I should be wary of? Thanks all, I appreciate expertise and advice!

Biggest things are playfield wear in front of the Sanctum and the plastic rings above the ramps. Sanctum looks fine in the pictures (there will probably still be a small indentation if you actually touch it but this is pretty standard on The Shadow). The rings are all there in the pictures, but check them for damage, especially around the holes for the screws. These cost a couple of hundred to replace. Other than that, play the game- particularly the Battlefield- and as long as there's no major problems, it looks like it's in pretty good condition.

EDIT: What is the 6th photo (the inlane) supposed to be showing? Usually close-ups like this mean there's damage there but I'm not seeing any. Might be a good idea to check with the seller why that photo is in the ad.

#1802 8 years ago
Quoted from Circus_Animal:

Biggest things are playfield wear in front of the Sanctum and the plastic rings above the ramps. Sanctum looks fine in the pictures (there will probably still be a small indentation if you actually touch it but this is pretty standard on The Shadow). The rings are all there in the pictures, but check them for damage, especially around the holes for the screws. These cost a couple of hundred to replace. Other than that, play the game- particularly the Battlefield- and as long as there's no major problems, it looks like it's in pretty good condition.

Rings will be officially reproduced not to far in the future, so one worry less...

#1803 8 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

Someone in this thread redrew it. Message them and they will give it to you for free. I have the lost plastic and it is garbage for the price. The print is fuzzy and the plastic has dimples and bumps all over it. Also it was cut incorrectly for the flashers. There are registration holes (not really registration but marks where to cut) and they cut them uneven. Do not waste your money on this mod, simply message the person that redrew it, print it and install.

That's not the case at all with the one I have. Print is crisp and clear, all holes lined up fine and although it is not plastic, you can see from one of my pics that it is thick and durable. Plus it's not like this piece will get any wear since nothing touches it.

And I tried to find who re-drew this after seeing mentions like you said "someone redrew this", but never a mention of who to contact.

#1804 8 years ago

Next. Need to buy target decals. I see there are a few different designs. Anyone have pics of their Battlefield and Mongul targets?

#1805 8 years ago

Can you provide a link or keyword suggestion Art? Can't find it on eBay.

#1806 8 years ago

I still have a problem with the miniplayfield kicker and don't know what to do. It goes lightning fast to the left but when I direct it to the right side it stutters his way in small steps. In the test menu it works flawless and every opto is working. In the mini playfield test it goes to both sides fluently, but in game it starts to stutter again.

#1807 8 years ago

John may have pulled the ad...just had a baby....well, his wife did! Public Congrats!

I am sending you his email via PM.

Art

#1808 8 years ago

After years of harassing Randy I can finally stop asking him where the ColorDMD for The Shadow is!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-announces-support-for-the-shadow

The Shadow KnowsThe Shadow Knows

#1809 8 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

That's not the case at all with the one I have. Print is crisp and clear, all holes lined up fine and although it is not plastic, you can see from one of my pics that it is thick and durable. Plus it's not like this piece will get any wear since nothing touches it.
And I tried to find who re-drew this after seeing mentions like you said "someone redrew this", but never a mention of who to contact.

Who ever I bought it from took 3 weeks to ship it. Only did after I started a claim.
Here is the thread where the redraw is mentioned. I have it and it is great. Better than the "plastic" I bought.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club?tq&tu=chrisg#post-1267035

#1810 8 years ago

I want to join the club. Can anyone help me out?

#1811 8 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

I still have a problem with the miniplayfield kicker and don't know what to do. It goes lightning fast to the left but when I direct it to the right side it stutters his way in small steps. In the test menu it works flawless and every opto is working. In the mini playfield test it goes to both sides fluently, but in game it starts to stutter again.

look at the bracket underneath..is it intact or is it cracked on the right side?

#1812 8 years ago

I will try to make a better picture tomorrow with a flash, but I don t see anything cracked so far.image.jpgimage.jpg

#1813 8 years ago

This bracket was cracked on the right side on my game, it was making the kicker skip like the way you are describing. detail.jpgdetail.jpg

#1814 8 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

Try cleaning the flipper optos. In test mode you are using the coin door switches to control the kicker; in game mode the flipper optos are used.

#1815 8 years ago

Thanks for your help, I will try it and inspect the bracket tomorrow.

#1816 8 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

Thanks for your help, I will try it and inspect the bracket tomorrow.

My bracket was also broken on right side originally and would work a bit in test sometimes then fail. If not that wondering if there's some short or voltage issue when the rest of the pf is active..?

#1817 8 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Cool design! Keep posting updates (and maybe ask Aurich if he's willing to share his supplier, I have his alt-translite and the print quality is great).

Well i had the translite made by a printcompany and it's nice.
Also did the speakerpanel but i'm wondering how to get it right.
The original is thin plastic and covered also the dmd.
Mine is done just like the translite but although looking good i can't get it installed right

image.jpgimage.jpg

#1818 8 years ago

Am I the only person who prefers the monotone DMD's compared to the multi-color DMD's? I'm not sure why, but I like the monotone look. I think it may be due to DMD's having limited dots to play with, the multi-color comes across as a bit gaudy and blocky (like a kid's toy Lite-Brite), whereas the design of the monotone DMD seems to have more unity...It's like trying to color an Ansel Adams.

Having said that, I think the different monotone color DMD's can look beautiful (such as the green TS I've seen here and red BSD).

#1819 8 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Am I the only person who prefers the monotone DMD's compared to the multi-color DMD's? I'm not sure why, but I like the monotone look. I think it may be due to DMD's having limited dots to play with, the multi-color comes across as a bit gaudy and blocky (like a kid's toy Lite-Brite), whereas the design of the monotone DMD seems to have more unity...It's like trying to color an Ansel Adams.
Having said that, I think the different monotone color DMD's can look beautiful (such as the green TS I've seen here and red BSD).

Your typo is kinda answering your question - monochrome is monotone, that's why many prefer color...

We had the same discussion on the German forum, it's a matter of personal taste. For me it depends on the machine: STTNG looks lightyears better in color, LotR to. Got color in my MB, but I could live without it. Some people don't like color at all, others want it for every single game they have.
To me the color makes a lot of details visible which you just can't identify in the "monochrome soup" that an original DMD produces.
And in a gameroom where most games are colored, monochrome looks massively outdated and old fashioned. If you're pro-monochrome you'd probably say it looks "classic" or "authentic".

#1820 8 years ago

I love the colored dots. With the addition of this one, only our CV won't have one and that's because it won't fit.

#1821 8 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

me the color makes a lot of details visible which you just can't identify in the "monochrome soup" that an original DMD produces.

this. Makes it so much better but I can see people preferring a single color. Can't justify 400 for a single color though myself

#1822 8 years ago
Quoted from woz:

Try cleaning the flipper optos. In test mode you are using the coin door switches to control the kicker; in game mode the flipper optos are used.

That helped! Thanks!

#1823 8 years ago

Good to hear! Similar problem arises in WMS IJ - the mini pf works fine in test mode but not during a game due to dirty flipper optos.

#1824 8 years ago
Quoted from woz:

Good to hear! Similar problem arises in WMS IJ - the mini pf works fine in test mode but not during a game due to dirty flipper optos.

Good stuff to know that I wouldn't have known either if this happened to me.

#1825 8 years ago

Thanks Art, have made contact.

#1826 8 years ago

Shadow looks awesome in color. Can't wait to install the final ROM. If you can afford it the ColorDMD is a must have in my book.

#1827 8 years ago

Post some pics and video since you already have it.

#1828 8 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Am I the only person who prefers the monotone DMD's compared to the multi-color DMD's?

Nope, I'd rather play with the original DMD as well. The animations were designed for monochrome so they don't look quite right in colour. Colour can seriously alter video modes as well- IJ's mine cart mode is much, much easier when played in colour.

Quoted from someoneelse:

in a gameroom where most games are colored, monochrome looks massively outdated and old fashioned.

Well I suppose that's true...but you could say the same thing about the Colosseum compared to a modern office block. I know which one I'd rather look at.

#1829 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Shadow looks awesome in color. Can't wait to install the final ROM. If you can afford it the ColorDMD is a must have in my book.

Extremely excited about this! Aurich kit arriving today as well and new ff speakers next week. Can't wait to put it all together want to see some teaser DMD shots

#1830 8 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Post some pics and video since you already have it.

I'm traveling, so can't. But mine isn't final anyways. You'll all get to install it before I get back home!

#1831 8 years ago

3 new screens from ColorDMD.

11892333_1111741768854811_3558928061959362580_o.png11892333_1111741768854811_3558928061959362580_o.png

11875053_1111742945521360_1502533995396869716_o.png11875053_1111742945521360_1502533995396869716_o.png

11834731_1111744385521216_5397191088088549184_o.png11834731_1111744385521216_5397191088088549184_o.png

#1832 8 years ago

Thanks! Post 'em if you got 'em.

#1833 8 years ago

goddamn now i gotta put another $400 into my shadow!

#1834 8 years ago

IJ's mine cart mode is much, much easier when played in colour.

#1835 8 years ago

Does anybody happen to have any of the sanctum decals that Trident made? It's the black and green circle that matches all of the other inserts. I have attempted to get a set from him but I am not having any luck. I know they came in sheets of nine decals. Would anybody have maybe 3 to spare? I would be glad to pay whatever is appropriate.

#1836 8 years ago

EDIT: What is the 6th photo (the inlane) supposed to be showing? Usually close-ups like this mean there's damage there but I'm not seeing any. Might be a good idea to check with the seller why that photo is in the ad.

Thanks Circus_Animal, I'm going to check it out this weekend. I'll pay close attention to the area shown in photo 6, that's a good point and nothing seems to stand out in the photo. I see you are a Sydneysider? Nice, I lived there for many years before moving to the US. I used to frequent the Darlo Bar to play their W2O. Newtown was a good place for pinball too.

#1837 8 years ago

Hoping to get thoughts on a two issues I have had since I got my shadow:

1) The battlefield kicker 'kicks' pretty much every time the flipper button is pressed to slid it right and left. It still slides fine both directions but it just kicks one time first as it starts to slide. Pretty sure it should only kick when the opto beam is broken by the ball.. right?

2) The skill shot.. the phurbas reset both pointing down to the left side on ball start. You select the skill shot, and if you hit the left ramp for it it awards the one that wasn't selected. I've gotten used to remembering it's opposite but I'd still love to solve the issue.. haven't had any great ideas on what would cause that yet except something weird with the wiring. It awards the left or right side of the left ramp correctly when you hit them otherwise.

thanks for any thoughts on these..

#1838 8 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Hoping to get thoughts on a two issues I have had since I got my Shadow:
1) The battlefield kicker 'kicks' pretty much every time the flipper button is pressed to slid it right and left. It still slides fine both directions but it just kicks one time first as it starts to slide. Pretty sure it should only kick when the opto beam is broken by the ball.. right?
2) The skill shot.. the phurbas reset both pointing down to the left side on ball start. You select the skill shot, and if you hit the left ramp for it it awards the one that wasn't selected. I've gotten used to remembering it's opposite but I'd still love to solve the issue.. haven't had any great ideas on what would cause that yet except something weird with the wiring. It awards the left or right side of the left ramp correctly when you hit them otherwise.
thanks for any thoughts on these..

1) flip up the battlefield and take a good look at what's under there. There is a mess of wires under there and it's easy for one to get nicked and cause a short. I would check there first.

2) I'm not able to lift my shadow right now, but when I shopped mine I seem to remember a lot of plugs under the playfield below each diverter. If someone removed the ramp before you, it may be possible they plugged them back in wrong.

Hope that's a good starting point.

#1839 8 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

1) flip up the battlefield and take a good look at what's under there. There is a mess of wires under there and it's easy for one to get nicked and cause a short. I would check there first.
2) I'm not able to lift my Shadow right now, but when I shopped mine I seem to remember a lot of plugs under the playfield below each diverter. If someone removed the ramp before you, it may be possible they plugged them back in wrong.

Agree. Make sure each diverter is plugged into the correct connector. Probably each fix with connectors being swapped.

#1840 8 years ago

Thanks I'll double check connections.. I pulled all those plugs already to install LEDs and clean but it's possible I connected them wrong again.

Will check for batt field short as well -- good idea.

#1841 8 years ago

The Shadow ColorDMD video is here.

I'm the guy who prefers original, but I have to say it looks amazing!!

#1842 8 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

2) I'm not able to lift my Shadow right now, but when I shopped mine I seem to remember a lot of plugs under the playfield below each diverter. If someone removed the ramp before you, it may be possible they plugged them back in wrong.

No luck with connectors.. I don't see any way to misconnect them since they are all keyed. Could not find a short either below battlefield. Did notice it works fine in test with coin door buttons though. Mystified.

#1843 8 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

No luck with connectors.. I don't see any way to misconnect them since they are all keyed. Could not find a short either below battlefield. Did notice it works fine in test with coin door buttons though. Mystified.

Try to change the two coils, left to right and right to left.

#1844 8 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

Try to change the two coils, left to right and right to left.

Thanks Asael! You were right on. Switched the coils across and that solved the skill shot problem. Kind of embarrassed I hadn't thought of this.. before I switched them I just tried hitting the ramp switch opposite where the ball would be diverted and it awarded the correct skill shot award.. thus switching the coils or the wires to the coils would make sense.

Now if I can just figure out the battlefield kicker issue. Cleaned the flipper optos, looked at the wiring underneath.. tried the switch test and jiggling everything around to see if it triggered the kicker. It doesn't seem like a short since it only happens once upon flipper button contact, and consistently when I try to the move the kicker to the left or right during gameplay

#1845 8 years ago

On a side note.. I just installed FF speakers as I was getting some crackling/distortion on higher frequencies with the old kit and I wanted to upgrade anyway. I'm still experiencing this even with the new kit. Anyone have this going on too or experienced it before.. is this just normal for this game? Maybe some electrical component issue going on with the sound board?

**Edit** Switched out soundboards with WCS and it seems to have improved somewhat.. now WCS is noticably "cracklier". Perhaps the two 1000uF caps need to be replaced on the sound board? Nothing obvious is burnt up or anything. Both WCS & TAF are good and loud at around volume 12 - 14, whereas with either soundboard Shadow isn't even that loud at 24.. Where do people have their shadow volume at typically for a good level?

**second edit** solved crackling/scratchiness by clipping caps c37 & c45 on the DCS sound board per Pinwiki. Any insight on the low volume appreciated!!

#1846 8 years ago

I just purchased my very first pinball machine, a Shadow! I was deliberating between a Shadow and a W2O, and I think I chose wisely (W2O is amazing too, and there can always be pinball number two).

I notice that there is a slight hum and vibration on the Inner Sanctum lock, right before the ball is pulled back. Is this supposed to be normal, or should I look to fix?

As a side note, I am very new to pinball machines, and may have some questions on my Shadow... I'll try to search and find solutions first, but is it better for me to make new topics for each issue/question or can I post in this thread?

#1847 8 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I just purchased my very first pinball machine, a Shadow! I was deliberating between a Shadow and a W2O, and I think I chose wisely (W2O is amazing too, and there can always be pinball number two).
I notice that there is a slight hum and vibration on the Inner Sanctum lock, right before the ball is pulled back. Is this supposed to be normal, or should I look to fix?
As a side note, I am very new to pinball machines, and may have some questions on my Shadow... I'll try to search and find solutions first, but is it better for me to make new topics for each issue/question or can I post in this thread?

Welcome to the hobby! I too live in Bensalem and have a Shadow. Your more than welcome to PM me and we can talk and possibly meet up. There are several of us locally that have one. So any question should get answered.

#1848 8 years ago

Congrats, Jonesjb!

All here to help! Ask away! Great Game to start the addiction!

#1849 8 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Yup, almost like the game has a weak shaker motor inside. Hum is the magnet engaging too.

#1850 8 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Yup, almost like the game has a weak shaker motor inside. Hum is the magnet engaging too.

Ah, so this is normal? I didn't notice it first and thought this may indicate that something needs to be tightened/fixed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 10,927 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 219.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club/page/37?hl=hoopertriplett and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.