IMG_7706 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7705 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0617 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0618 (resized).jpeg
shadow-repairdone (resized).jpg
IMG_4396 (resized).jpeg
unnamed (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,922 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 219.
#1551 8 years ago

Here's some pics of my shadow from blackbeard. A very nice machine, thanks again man!
main.JPGmain.JPG
main2.JPGmain2.JPGmain3.jpgmain3.jpgmain4.JPGmain4.JPG

Need's a shop, some things need to be worked on, but very happy to do so!
I'll be asking my fellow shadow club members for some advice I'm sure.

#1552 8 years ago

Glad to be in the club now! Just got a super minty Shadow from a friend and added Laseriffic lit topper. What a sweet game!

#1553 8 years ago

Hi
I got my TS today ... looong story. I bought it years ago but for space reasons parked it on a friends place. Bought a Aurich set and plastics. Needet money , sold the game to my friend so we dont have to move it .
So my friend wanted to sell it .. I bought it and now we made it: Its in my gameroom.
Places nice, looks nice but one little issue. If you hit one of the small yellow targets on the left the ball will bounce around. I welded the targets a little, fixed them again and put some new harder foam in. It is better but perfect.

Any hints to avoid airballs and bouncing there ?

#1554 8 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

Hi
I got my TS today ... looong story. I bought it years ago but for space reasons parked it on a friends place. Bought a Aurich set and plastics. Needet money , sold the game to my friend so we dont have to move it .
So my friend wanted to sell it .. I bought it and now we made it:

So did you end up paying your friend more than what you sold it to him for?

Good move though, Shadow is an incredible game.

#1555 8 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

Hi
So my friend wanted to sell it .. I bought it and now we made it: Its in my gameroom.
Places nice, looks nice but one little issue. If you hit one of the small yellow targets on the left the ball will bounce around. I welded the targets a little, fixed them again and put some new harder foam in. It is better but perfect.
Any hints to avoid airballs and bouncing there ?

I actually just got my shadow at pinfest 2 days ago, and I am also having that problem. But I think I may have a remedy for it. Not sure if it will work but it sure isn't going to hurt. I'm getting two of these...
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-18530-6R

I'm thinkin' maybe with the strengthened target switch it will eliminate the air balls when hitting them. I think the targets in our machines are a bit to weak and need that. Again, I could be wrong.

I am also having the problem of the ball falling off of the middle ramp in the game, which i'm told seems to be a bit common. The only shadow set up at pinfest I played had a little mechanism with a wire to stop this. The guy I talked to said it was common, So I will have to find out where to get one of these thing's now to remedy that. No big deal though, these things happen.

Can any fellow Shadow club members help us out with some info on this??? I would love to know the best way to fix these up since I will be doing a full shop of my machine in the near future.

#1556 8 years ago
Quoted from BrooklynDrug:

Here's some pics of my shadow from blackbeard. A very nice machine, thanks again man!
main.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
main2.JPG (Click image to enlarge)main3.jpg (Click image to enlarge)main4.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
Need's a shop, some things need to be worked on, but very happy to do so!
I'll be asking my fellow shadow club members for some advice I'm sure.

Glad you're loving it. It's a sweets pin. Let me know when you get to final battle !

#1557 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Glad you're loving it. It's a sweets pin. Let me know when you get to final battle !

Certainly! Almost beat your score you have up there yesterday. A couple million away!

#1558 8 years ago

I bought those same 2 targets for the mongol figures from marco as well. Picked my TS up this past sunday just outside of Boston. Gonna do a cleaning and waxing not sure how much of the playfield I'll strip down first might try and avoid doing a full teardown since this is my first pin. And its in very good shape for its age I don't want to cause more dmg than good.

#1559 8 years ago

I actually just got my Shadow at pinfest 2 days ago, and I am also having that problem. But I think I may have a remedy for it. Not sure if it will work but it sure isn't going to hurt. I'm getting two of these...
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-18530-6R
I'm thinkin' maybe with the strengthened target switch it will eliminate the air balls when hitting them. I think the targets in our machines are a bit to weak and need that. Again, I could be wrong.
I am also having the problem of the ball falling off of the middle ramp in the game, which i'm told seems to be a bit common. The only Shadow set up at pinfest I played had a little mechanism with a wire to stop this. The guy I talked to said it was common, So I will have to find out where to get one of these thing's now to remedy that. No big deal though, these things happen.
Can any fellow Shadow club members help us out with some info on this??? I would love to know the best way to fix these up since I will be doing a full shop of my machine in the near future.

I do not really get airballs on my shadow from the targets so cannot comment. Regarding the ball falling off I assume you mean the habitrail. If that is the case I have read about this but my machine does not have this issue. Is your wireform perhaps bent?

#1560 8 years ago

Just picked up a nice game that I plan on restoring. I discovered that the apron has a hole drilled in it, so, I want to replace it. Anyone have a spare or know any supplier that has one?

#1561 8 years ago
Quoted from tachi:

I bought those same 2 targets for the mongol figures from marco as well. Picked my TS up this past sunday just outside of Boston. Gonna do a cleaning and waxing not sure how much of the playfield I'll strip down first might try and avoid doing a full teardown since this is my first pin. And its in very good shape for its age I don't want to cause more dmg than good.

Please, let me know how the targets work out for you. I plan on getting these soon. Along with all new plastics and protectors. Let's keep each other in the loop.

#1562 8 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

I do not really get airballs on my shadow from the targets so cannot comment. Regarding the ball falling off I assume you mean the habitrail. If that is the case I have read about this but my machine does not have this issue. Is your wireform perhaps bent?

I do believe my wireform is a bit dipped down which causes the ball to fall when hit with some force. There seems to be a part on ebay to replace the stock switch to fix this issue, so that I will have figured out.

With the airballs, I think my targets are a bit weak and tilted due to the balls hitting them so much. Looks like they haven't been replaced for a while. I plan on getting the reinforced marco targets to see if this makes things better.

Nows the best time to ask.. I've been having another problem with my machine. When the balls drain sometimes they get stuck when they drop and the sensor doesn't pick up that the ball is dead. I have to open up my coin door to push the balls down so the ball can rendered dead, and the next one plunged. Would you have any advice on how to stop this from happening? Should I just clean it when I shop it out or would this be a usual problem that I have to get another part for or something?

Thanks for any input!

#1563 8 years ago

I do believe my wireform is a bit dipped down which causes the ball to fall when hit with some force. There seems to be a part on ebay to replace the stock switch to fix this issue, so that I will have figured out.

I moved the ramp as far as possible to the right as recommended by Vid in post 498 in this thread.
Pretty much solved the problem.
The switch fix doesn't make the ball fly off the ramp less, it just fixes the problem of the switch not (always) registering. You can find some info on it here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-left-ramp-switch-mod

For the issue with the balls getting stuck in the trough you can use one of these and it will work flawlessly: http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=449

#1564 8 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

I moved the ramp as far as possible to the right as recommended by Vid in post 498 in this thread.
Pretty much solved the problem.
The switch fix doesn't make the ball fly off the ramp less, it just fixes the problem of the switch not (always) registering. You can find some info on it here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-left-ramp-switch-mod
For the issue with the balls getting stuck in the trough you can use one of these and it will work flawlessly: http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=449

Very nice, thanks for all this info! Turns out I had one of these in my machine laying in the cab, so I will put it in next time I play.

here is the switch I was talking about on ebay..
ebay.com link: itm
This may just work, I will order it and try.

#1565 8 years ago

ebay.com link

You can get that switch pretty much anywhere for much cheaper.

#1566 8 years ago

ebay.com link: itm

Quoted from Syco54645:

You can get that switch pretty much anywhere for much cheaper.

For instance, here: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=380

Of course once you add shipping you may not save a ton over the eBay piece, unless you're planning to order other stuff from Pinballlife. But if you can hold out and add it to your next Pinballlife order, that's the way to go!

#1567 8 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

For instance, here: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=380
Of course once you add shipping you may not save a ton over the eBay piece, unless you're planning to order other stuff from Pinballlife. But if you can hold out and add it to your next Pinballlife order, that's the way to go!

Ahh yes! I just may. Thanks for the tip! Are you a shadow owner???

#1568 8 years ago

Ahh yes! I just may. Thanks for the tip! Are you a Shadow owner???

Yes - and I ordered one of these switches a while back but haven't got round to installing it yet!

#1569 8 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Yes - and I ordered one of these switches a while back but haven't got round to installing it yet!

Excellent! Did you order multiple ones to replace every switch?

#1570 8 years ago

Excellent! Did you order multiple ones to replace every switch?

No, just one for the right side of the left Phurba ramp.

#1571 8 years ago

Just placed a deposit on a nice Shadow. Pick-up on Saturday at VFW. Super stoked!!

#1572 8 years ago

Don't remember seeing this on the thread so just wanted to put it out there. If you repin the GI connectors using the manual as a guide, you will do it wrong. The manual has misprints and you will end up with 2 strings running through fuse F107 and it will continuously blow. Repin it just as it is on the original IDC connector. If it has already been done or if you lose track, use this for the correct configuration.404414.jpg404414.jpg

#1573 8 years ago

Question about the left orbit rollover switch. Sometimes the ball passes just to left of the rollover switch when I send the ball around the left orbit. I've moved the switch as far as I can to the left, but the ball still misses it about half the time. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Dan

#1574 8 years ago
Quoted from locustgrovepin:

Question about the left orbit rollover switch. Sometimes the ball passes just to left of the rollover switch when I send the ball around the left orbit. I've moved the switch as far as I can to the left, but the ball still misses it about half the time. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Dan

I have the same problem too. I tweaked the position of the switch but still seems to miss the odd time.

#1575 8 years ago

I got a shadow a few weeks ago. Still working on it to dial it in. Perhaps I will need helps with a few things later here. But for now I think it's a great and fun game.
I put in the alternate translite and it looks awesome. Changed the speakers and put in a Pinsound board. I did upload a Shadow OST in the pinsound community forum. It's not perfect but I like it on my game. Perhaps someone with more skills and time than me could work on it and make it perfect. Dan Forden (Mortal Kombat) put great music in this game but I can't find the music from him in a better quality. Perhaps someone knows him and can help with that. A mix with original Pinball and movie score would be awesome.
So I used for this the original movie score from Gerry Goldsmith. And it's imo one of the best soundtracks ever. Goldsmith nailed the theme.
Have fun with it if you try it and please let me know what could be made better. I am still not sure with a few sounds.

#1576 8 years ago
Quoted from woz:

I have the same problem too. I tweaked the position of the switch but still seems to miss the odd time.

Same here. I thought it was the switch and replaced it. Still happens, less so with some tweaking but still misses now and again. The lane is so wide the ball can sneak by

1 week later
#1577 8 years ago

I know all you guys have seen a lot of Sanctum wear but I'm curious at what point is it smarter to just do a playfield swap? My Sanctum has a hole completely through the playfield and the little wood that is there is razor thin. Aside from that, another issue is there is a large bump in the playfield next to the wear spot. It doesn't show well in the pictures I'm posting but its there and its really noticeable. So attempt a repair or just swap it with a clear coated playfield?

IMG_20150527_234752_967.jpgIMG_20150527_234752_967.jpg IMG_20150527_234813_531.jpgIMG_20150527_234813_531.jpg
#1578 8 years ago

You can try some quikwood or bondo then install the overlay decal for a cheap fix.

#1579 8 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

You can try some quikwood or bondo then install the overlay decal for a cheap fix.

What about that bump in the playfield? I'm guessing I would have to sand it down. That's really my biggest concern, I wish you guys could actually see it in the pics. I can't see anything warped on the play field from underneath. I'm guessing that the heat warped the top layer of ply. At least that's what it looks like. Ive never seen that before so I don't even know if its possible.

#1580 8 years ago

fill that sucker with a good epoxy sand paint and clear then overlay or water slide. GL

#1581 8 years ago

I used Quick Wood Epoxy putty, sanded and used a decal from Classic Arcades. Colour match is off but much better than it was.

shadow 021.jpgshadow 021.jpg shadow.jpgshadow.jpg
#1582 8 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

What about that bump in the playfield? I'm guessing I would have to sand it down. That's really my biggest concern, I wish you guys could actually see it in the pics. I can't see anything warped on the play field from underneath. I'm guessing that the heat warped the top layer of ply. At least that's what it looks like. Ive never seen that before so I don't even know if its possible.

I know zip about playfield restoration, but is it possible to take pics that show the bump a little better? Is it visible from the underside of the playfield? That might help you get the best advice from those with the experience to offer it!

#1583 8 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I know zip about playfield restoration, but is it possible to take pics that show the bump a little better? Is it visible from the underside of the playfield? That might help you get the best advice from those with the experience to offer it!

I will for sure try, it's really hard to see in pictures for some reason. It is not visible at all on the underside of the playfield which is why I think its just on the top layer of ply. The bump is just to the right of the wear spot in the second picture below the T and the U. That second pic is as close as I could get to my phone being flat on the playfield believe it or not. I'll see if I can get it from the side or something.

Quoted from smiley:

I used Quick Wood Epoxy putty, sanded and used a decal from Classic Arcades. Colour match is off but much better than it was.

shadow 021.jpg
shadow.jpg

I think just to get it playable this is totally the way to go, at least until I can find a playfield to swap it with. I think that decal would cover the spot with the bump in it. I guess I'm just concerned how far I'm going to have to chase that thing.

Quoted from freddy:

fill that sucker with a good epoxy sand paint and clear then overlay or water slide. GL

This seems to be the ultimate solution from what I've read on all the Sanctum wear threads. But if I was going that far I think I would just swap it with a clear coated playfield.

#1584 8 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

But if I was going that far I think I would just swap it with a clear coated playfield.

Don't see many of those around...you may be better off doing the repair first otherwise you may be waiting a while.

#1585 8 years ago
Quoted from woz:

Don't see many of those around...you may be better off doing the repair first otherwise you may be waiting a while.

It's that uncommon huh? That's a shame, I have not shopped around too much but I've seen two in the past several months. I guess next time I see one I should jump on it. On another note, I still can't get a good picture of the bump. I'm surprised no one else has had any kind of lifting like that near their sanctum.

#1586 8 years ago

The last Shadow pf saw advertised was nos but it a pre production version with different inserts and different shooter lane entrance .

#1587 8 years ago

So today I put The Shadow in my small pub. I am thrilled to see if the people will like it like I do. It's now playable but still got a few flaws I have to work out to dial it perfect in. The battlefield kicker is a little bit jerky, don't know why but it works. I can't find the part that's holding the kicker to buy it anywhere.
And I have a lose cable in the back of the playfield underside and don't know where it should go and everything works there perfect.
But the pinball is still great and a lot of fun!!!

image.jpgimage.jpg image-74.jpgimage-74.jpg
1 week later
#1588 8 years ago

I posted a bit ago picked up my shadow from a pinball enthusiast who had an un-opened big bang bar amoung another 15 or so high value tables. Its my first pin and I didn't really know what to look for when inspecting machines. Turns out it needed a little more than a shop out. The sanctum was only registering because the back end was jacked up about 3-4 inches over standard. Once getting it leveled properly the flaws really start to show up. The ball jumps from the wireform ramps when hit with force, the sanctum not sweeping the ball back causes all kinds of gameplay issues. Anyway after getting my feet wet and replacing a few stationary targets and replacing some of the easier rubber and watching them get trashed in a few days because the hidden parts of the playfield were so dirty I decided to bite the bullet and strip the playfield completely and redo the sanctum among other things.

I'm considering sending the playfield to HSA for restoration and clear coating. For future reference I just want the game to play as good as new and willing to do what it takes to get there. Most likely this will be my only pin as i don't have room for another (maybe i can squeeze 1 more in). I paid 2900 for it then had to drop another 100 on rubber and a few broken parts. Mid way through stripping the playfield I realized how bad the plastics are and just how much superglue was used to keep it all together so I dropped another 160 on a new set of plastics. Although I don't plan to sell/trade The Shadow I hate to get really upside down on something I thought was an investment and would hold its value. The playfield restore will probably cost around 800.

My biggest questions are is it worth a full playfield restore? And would restoring the playfield greatly improve the gameplay? I'm afraid to clean the playfield and ruin the artwork in the process since i'm not experienced in that area at all.

IMAG0110.jpgIMAG0110.jpg IMAG0111.jpgIMAG0111.jpg IMAG0112.jpgIMAG0112.jpg IMAG0113.jpgIMAG0113.jpg
#1589 8 years ago
Quoted from tachi:

My biggest questions are is it worth a full playfield restore? And would restoring the playfield greatly improve the gameplay? I'm afraid to clean the playfield and ruin the artwork in the process since i'm not experienced in that area at all.

You can clean it, you won't ruin a thing. The artwork is under clearcoat. Wipe that sucker down! You'll feel much better about it.

#1590 8 years ago

what about the scene windows its almost as if I can feel the rectangular covers inside the clear.

#1591 8 years ago
Quoted from tachi:

what about the scene windows its almost as if I can feel the rectangular covers inside the clear.

Those are just rectangular inserts, with the art printed over them so only the text is clear to show the light. They're not 100% level with the playfield, so you're feeling the inserts in there through the clear, but don't worry about it, it's no different than any other part of the playfield.

#1592 8 years ago
Quoted from tachi:

Although I don't plan to sell/trade The Shadow I hate to get really upside down on something I thought was an investment and would hold its value. The playfield restore will probably cost around 800.
My biggest questions are is it worth a full playfield restore? And would restoring the playfield greatly improve the gameplay?

A playfield restore shouldn't affect gameplay (assuming that the alternative would be to repair just the sanctum area, either by filling the divot and using the sticker, or filling the divot and repainting that entire area -- that divot is a likely contributor to your sanctum issues) -- it would just make everything look beautiful and the extra clear coat would give more protection from future wear. I agree with Aurich that you should give it a good cleaning before deciding what to do. Do some searches on pinside for cleaning advice as far as products and technique to avoid any risk of damage.

Personally, I love the game enough that if I had the top side broken down already I'd be tempted to have the playfield restored (like you, it's my only pin and isn't going anywhere). But if being "upside down" on the game is going to bother you in the long run, I wouldn't bet that The Shadow, even with a mint restored playfield, will be selling for $4,250 anytime soon.

#1593 8 years ago
Quoted from tachi:

I'm afraid to clean the playfield and ruin the artwork in the process since i'm not experienced in that area at all.

I agree with the others. Nothing about your photos indicates you need a restore, just a good cleaning. Clean it, fix the sanctum wear, buff and wax the playfield and you'll be more than happy with it. There are a lot of conflicting opinions on pinside about how to clean a playfield and i've only cleaned 5 really dirty ones, but here's the approach i've landed on: With very grimy playfields I take a first pass at the grime with novus 1 (think of this as sweeping before you mop). Then i use naptha to get up all the grime and wax and that makes the sucker very clean. Microfiber towels are your friend. Most people then go through with magic eraser and 90%+ alcohol to go after ball swirls but i have a personal aversion to magic erasers (the texture in my fingers, yuck). Then I buff with novus 2, and finish with novus 1, then wax four times.

It will make you nervous the first time but after you do it you'll think "why was i nervous!?"

Good luck!

#1594 8 years ago

Question!

I'm looking at making a trade for my MET for a Shadow, Pinbot, and cash. I'm working on figuring out the value of the Shadow based off of the info I have.

What are some things to look for when figuring things out? There's minor sanctum burn, and it looks like the Mongol and Sword figures (??) are missing in the pics. What other things are worth investigating before assessing the value?

#1595 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Question!
I'm looking at making a trade for my MET for a Shadow, Pinbot, and cash. I'm working on figuring out the value of The Shadow based off of the info I have.
What are some things to look for when figuring things out? There's minor sanctum burn, and it looks like the Mongol and Sword figures (??) are missing in the pics. What other things are worth investigating before assessing the value?

Look for damage on the diverters (they like to break where the shaft connects to the diverter itself) and especially for repair/damage on the diverter assys under the playfield. The right diverter is available, but the left one and both assys are very hard to replace. Battlefield should also work flawlessly, it tends to bitch around on some machines. The metal ramps (not the wireforms) break easily where they are welded, but upgraded ones are available. And I would inspect the sanctum drop target under the PF - it's controlled (up AND down) by the machine and often hacked in some way.

#1596 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Question!
I'm looking at making a trade for my MET for a Shadow, Pinbot, and cash. I'm working on figuring out the value of The Shadow based off of the info I have.

Make sure all four rings are there, very difficult to find replacements.

Replacement Mongol figurines are available (each of the three Mongols holds a sword, but there aren't separate sword figurines).
http://www.pinballdecals.com/PartsByGamePages/Shadow_Page.html

#1597 8 years ago

Question:
I am looking for a whole gun plunger for my Shadow, since mine came with a launch button. Anyone have a spare one??

#1598 8 years ago

There's a player's condition Shadow listed on Mr. Pinball for $2k, local pickup only in Vancouver. If the condition is correctly described this seems like a pretty good deal.

#1599 8 years ago

anybody got any up close pics of the battlefield plastic piece? mine is missing on game and somehow going to try to make one I guess. nobody seems to make these that I can find. need to see how it fits and the overall shape of it.

#1600 8 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

anybody got any up close pics of the battlefield plastic piece? mine is missing on game and somehow going to try to make one I guess. nobody seems to make these that I can find. need to see how it fits and the overall shape of it.

It sounds like Jean-Luc-Picard had a similar problem (though maybe missing part instead of all of that piece), might be worth dropping him a PM to see how he solved it:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club?tu=jean-luc-picard#post-1162418

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
There are 10,922 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 219.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club/page/32 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.