IMG_0517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0701 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0513 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1404 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1405 (resized).JPEG
IMG_7706 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,927 posts in this topic. You are on page 188 of 219.
#9351 2 years ago
Quoted from EStroh:

First
Put the machine in switch edge test mode. Pass your finger back and forth through the beam. Make sure it goes off each time.
Second
Check the wires to the optos and opto board. Check for a loose wire or cracked solder at the header pins. Maybe reflow solder on each just to be sure.
I would bet against your issue being one of light interference. i'd bet it's an electrical continuity issue.

Quoted from t2:

Thanks for the advice! When I do this it trips on the sides but in the middle it is spuratic and doesn't always trip.
Tried adjusting the optos and using a glare guard but same results. Not sure where to look now.

I would still bet that you have a bad electrical connection somewhere. Either to the optos themselves or the opto board header. Re-flow solder to each one.

#9352 2 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

So answer me this. How does adding powder coat to wire forms not slow the ball down? Is the surface really just as smooth as a polished form? I wonder...

If the powder looks REALLY good the ball will sometimes slow down to get a better look at it. Otherwise, it’s pretty much the same.

#9353 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

If the powder looks REALLY good the ball will sometimes slow down to get a better look at it. Otherwise, it’s pretty much the same.

#9354 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Best post ever! Made me laugh!

#9355 2 years ago

Big thanks to Sonic for the MRS mod. I’m on my 3rd Shadow and this is the first time the left ramp’s right diverter has worked consistently. What a difference it makes!

#9356 2 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

Big thanks to Sonic for the MRS mod. I’m on my 3rd Shadow and this is the first time the left ramp’s right diverter has worked consistently. What a difference it makes!

Love it when things work great for our customers!

Matt
M&M Creations

#9357 2 years ago

If anyones looking to join the club I’ve just put my Shadow up for sale. Hate to part with it so soon, but out of room.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-shadow-the-114#post-6761881

#9358 2 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

If anyones looking to join the club I’ve just put my Shadow up for sale. Hate to part with it so soon, but out of room.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-shadow-the-114#post-6761881

I see the machine sold already but can anybody answer to the different colored cape on the playfield? Is it just sun worn or is it from factory?

#9359 2 years ago
Quoted from ruzeo:

I see the machine sold already but can anybody answer to the different colored cape on the playfield? Is it just sun worn or is it from factory?

Hard to tell, considering the cabinet wasn’t faded and the color on the PF is even across the whole cape, I’m guessing the wrong ink was used during printing or something. I’ve seen plenty of faded playfields on this era of game but this looks entirely different

#9360 2 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

Hard to tell, considering the cabinet wasn’t faded and the color on the PF is even across the whole cape, I’m guessing the wrong ink was used during printing or something. I’ve seen plenty of faded playfields on this era of game but this looks entirely different

I disagree, that was totally faded in my opinion. Red is always the first to go. If you look closely all the red was off even on the cabinet.

#9361 2 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

I disagree, that was totally faded in my opinion. Red is always the first to go. If you look closely all the red was off even on the cabinet.

yeah, it looks faded and with the side being faded you know it had sun on it.

#9362 2 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

yeah, it looks faded and with the side being faded you know it had sun on it.

The right side of the cabinet has some fade, but left looks pretty good. I've never seen such dramatic fade on the playfield cape. It would take some serious sun exposure to do that and I think the cab would be way more faded. Also, notice the red on the plastics aren't faded badly.

I'm thinking the error on the playfield is original.

#9363 2 years ago
Quoted from TwilightZone:

The right side of the cabinet has some fade, but left looks pretty good. I've never seen such dramatic fade on the playfield cape. It would take some serious sun exposure to do that and I think the cab would be way more faded. Also, notice the red on the plastics aren't faded badly.
I'm thinking the error on the playfield is original.

I don’t think the Sun caused it at all. I think the culprit was overhead fluorescent lighting. I have seen it before. Pins and fluorescent lighting are not friends. It has that real even bleaching of color effect. That would also explain why the playfield is worse than the sides.

#9364 2 years ago

I guess the world will never know.

41bbcc13df3970ec6f3eb8a0e27f2ee1.jpg41bbcc13df3970ec6f3eb8a0e27f2ee1.jpg
#9365 2 years ago
Quoted from ruzeo:

[quoted image]

Only thing to do about that faded area.. !

CRY-TCE-0305-034-Edit_HirRes (resized).jpgCRY-TCE-0305-034-Edit_HirRes (resized).jpg
#9366 2 years ago
Quoted from ruzeo:

[quoted image]

Ahh... that's really weird, now I want a tootsie pop?

#9367 2 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

Ahh... that's really weird, now I want a tootsie pop?

That owl taught us all exactly how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop. He cheated though.

#9368 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

That owl taught us all exactly how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop. He cheated though.

LMAO! Yes, it was rigged!

1 week later
#9369 2 years ago

Just joined The Shadow club.
Amazing game so far but I’m not many plays into it. Difficult but still not straight drainage continuously.
Game is in good shape, got a repair at the sanctum that looks nothing like factory although it looks OK. I’m just gonna leave it as I can’t make it any better myself anyways.
But one issue this machine has is balls getting stuck EVERYWHERE. So I’ve gotta sort that out…
Also I got to remove some incorrect LEDs as it looks wrong in my opinion. Like the blue on the translite and blue in the scene texts.
FF2A0C07-CC26-462F-8C4F-F7C54078044E (resized).jpegFF2A0C07-CC26-462F-8C4F-F7C54078044E (resized).jpeg6891118B-59EB-4242-A6A2-518C3D635F07 (resized).jpeg6891118B-59EB-4242-A6A2-518C3D635F07 (resized).jpeg6A0DFD80-DED9-40FA-B02A-EA8BC70B82BF (resized).jpeg6A0DFD80-DED9-40FA-B02A-EA8BC70B82BF (resized).jpeg6D699778-8F87-4A62-8682-2D1BE51907B5 (resized).jpeg6D699778-8F87-4A62-8682-2D1BE51907B5 (resized).jpeg

#9370 2 years ago

Looks quite good man! Nice machine, also the Sanctum repair looks good (you can not repair it better in my opinion).

Quoted from ViperTim:

Amazing game so far but I’m not many plays into it. Difficult but still not straight drainage continuously.
Game is in good shape, got a repair at the sanctum that looks nothing like factory although it looks OK. I’m just gonna leave it as I can’t make it any better myself anyways.
But one issue this machine has is balls getting stuck EVERYWHERE. So I’ve gotta sort that out…
Also I got to remove some incorrect LEDs as it looks wrong in my opinion. Like the blue on the translite and blue in the scene texts.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

#9371 2 years ago
Quoted from JvdS:

Looks quite good man! Nice machine, also the Sanctum repair looks good (you can not repair it better in my opinion).

Thank you.
The guy I bought it from is excellent at free hand painting it seems. He said it’s decent and he wasn’t super serious when he did it because he wanted to redo it all but I say the free handed lettering on the sanctum is spot on, better than anything I could ever do.
No idea how anybody can freehand letters like that, it’s magic.

#9372 2 years ago
Quoted from ViperTim:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice, but where are the balls getting stuck? Perhaps we can help.

#9373 2 years ago
Quoted from JvdS:

Are you sure that’s not the repair decal that was offered by Classic Arcades? If it’s hand lettered, that’s impressive.

#9374 2 years ago
Quoted from ViperTim:

Thank you.
The guy I bought it from is excellent at free hand painting it seems. He said it’s decent and he wasn’t super serious when he did it because he wanted to redo it all but I say the free handed lettering on the sanctum is spot on, better than anything I could ever do.
No idea how anybody can freehand letters like that, it’s magic.

That’s amazing if it’s a free-hand paint job, but they make a decal that looks just like that in different shades. I have a couple different versions. I would bet that’s a decal like this….

25A7AD8B-FF10-4C33-9EC3-056AF7AAFC7B (resized).jpeg25A7AD8B-FF10-4C33-9EC3-056AF7AAFC7B (resized).jpegFD33201F-B2B6-4616-AA96-4C8D55765893 (resized).jpegFD33201F-B2B6-4616-AA96-4C8D55765893 (resized).jpeg
#9375 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

That’s amazing if it’s a free-hand paint job, but they make a decal that looks just like that in different shades. I have a couple different versions. I would bet that’s a decal like this….
[quoted image][quoted image]

Any links to the lighter gray version? I never saw one in the states. Mine is the darker gray and would like to fix at some point.

#9376 2 years ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

Any links to the lighter gray version? I never saw one in the states. Mine is the darker gray and would like to fix at some point.

I’m not sure, I think I picked up a lighter shade version with an overseas order a year or two ago as insurance.

#9377 2 years ago
Quoted from Steve_in_Escalon:

Are you sure that’s not the repair decal that was offered by Classic Arcades? If it’s hand lettered, that’s impressive.

Quoted from Pinkitten:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Yes it is free hand painted.
Somehow he (the seller) seemed a bit ashamed of his work.
I’m speechless of how fantastic it looks.

Quoted from jonesjb:

Nice, but where are the balls getting stuck? Perhaps we can help.

Worst of all they get stuck in the trough which is incomprehensible to me. I can’t find any ridges or dimples where they get stuck but somehow they do. They don’t roll down to the lockup sometimes.
Also it’s gotten stuck several times when falling down from the battlefield. Stuck on plastics, wire forms etc.

#9378 2 years ago
Quoted from ViperTim:

Worst of all they get stuck in the trough which is incomprehensible to me. I can’t find any ridges or dimples where they get stuck but somehow they do. They don’t roll down to the lockup sometimes.
Also it’s gotten stuck several times when falling down from the battlefield. Stuck on plastics, wire forms etc.

Stuck in the trough sounds like magnetized balls to me.

#9379 2 years ago

Hmm! I need to have a look at that.
Noticed my phone also corrected “kick-up” to “lockup”.

#9380 2 years ago
Quoted from ViperTim:

Try replacing the balls, you want carbon steel pinballs (not chrome).

#9381 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Try replacing the balls, you want carbon steel pinballs (not chrome).

Another vote for the wrong kind of balls.

#9382 2 years ago

It’s probably this…
I had the same issue…I cut a piece of plexi to use as a shim and slid it into the trough. You can buy these too but I made my own. Solved the problem instantly.

#9383 2 years ago

Well then, I’m gonna get my balls replaced (pun intended).
I did remove the trough and did find som dimples that I’ve filed relatively even. I believe it might have helped just a little bit but problem is not solved.
New balls it is!

Damn this game is great!

#9384 2 years ago

So if I get a new game that works (as in, I can play it without having to shop it to literally get it working) I like to get to the wizard mode before I shop it. So in this case, I have a while before I dig into it.

One thing I've noticed consistently is that the game has trouble "keeping track" of balls during multiple-ball. For example, it doesn't consistently kick out the right number of balls during each multi ball. Khan multi ball will sometimes kick out 2 and sometimes kick out 4 (and I think it's supposed to only kick out 3 every time).

The balls sometime take a bit of time to register when draining.

Upon starting up, the trough kicker kicks twice.

I'm guessing I just need to go through and clean and maybe replace the trough optos, but any other things I should be looking at?

#9385 2 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

So if I get a new game that works (as in, I can play it without having to shop it to literally get it working) I like to get to the wizard mode before I shop it. So in this case, I have a while before I dig into it.
One thing I've noticed consistently is that the game has trouble "keeping track" of balls during multiple-ball. For example, it doesn't consistently kick out the right number of balls during each multi ball. Khan multi ball will sometimes kick out 2 and sometimes kick out 4 (and I think it's supposed to only kick out 3 every time).
The balls sometime take a bit of time to register when draining.
I'm guessing I just need to go through and clean and maybe replace the trough optos, but any other things I should be looking at?

You might have divots in trough that are slowing down or stopping the balls rolling down the trough. Alternatively the balls have become magnetised and need to be replaced

#9386 2 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Mine does this too. Never found out why but it plays perfectly!

#9387 2 years ago
Quoted from Bakerman:

Mine does this too. Never found out why but it plays perfectly!

Mine too, I suspected this is normal, never thought otherwise.

#9388 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Mine too, I suspected this is normal, never thought otherwise.

Yep same here...no idea why it does either though ha.

#9389 2 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Most likely the balls are magnetized and somewhat "stuck" in the trough... not rolling all the way down to the end.

The first kick frees them up ( "jostles" them ) so that they can roll down to the end. The second kick puts one in the shooter lane.

#9390 2 years ago
Quoted from EStroh:

Most likely the balls are magnetized and somewhat "stuck" in the trough... not rolling all the way down to the end.
The first kick frees them up ( "jostles" them ) so that they can roll down to the end. The second kick puts one in the shooter lane.

I mean upon powering on and booting, not starting a game.

#9391 2 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

I just worked out what you were referring to and mine does that too. I just tested powering up on my machine - it's not the trough kickout that fires twice, it's the shooter lane plunger. As to why it does it I'm not sure but sounds like it's been programmed into the power on self test.

So no need to clean/replace the trough optos

#9392 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

I just worked out what you were referring to and mine does that too. I just tested powering up on my machine - it's not the trough kickout that fires twice, it's the shooter lane plunger. As to why it does it I'm not sure but sounds like it's been programmed into the power on self test.
So no need to clean/replace the trough optos

Very strange, my old T2 did this same thing!

#9393 2 years ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

Very strange, my old T2 did this same thing!

I've not seen this on my T2's (running L-8 code) I am running LG-4 on the Shadow (latest is L-6 although no mention of this particular behaviour in any of the change logs) - it'd be interesting to see what version someone has if their game doesn't have the double plunger fire on power-up

#9394 2 years ago

Joining the club. Have been searching for a shadow for a while and finally got one. Looking for the Aurich package missed that final run unfortunately.
Any things to look for & do if I'm tearing it down to clean and LED. Game is totally stock.

#9395 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

I've not seen this on my T2's (running L-8 code) I am running LG-4 on the Shadow (latest is L-6 although no mention of this particular behaviour in any of the change logs) - it'd be interesting to see what version someone has if their game doesn't have the double plunger fire on power-up

I have the latest code, and it still has the double plunger. I think it’s just what it is, and perhaps intentional. Maybe a way to prevent a hang-up of two balls (as they can be hard to get through the wiresform).

#9396 2 years ago
Quoted from Dokkaebi:

Joining the club. Have been searching for a shadow for a while and finally got one. Looking for the Aurich package missed that final run unfortunately.
Any things to look for & do if I'm tearing it down to clean and LED. Game is totally stock.

Clean, wax, play, enjoy!

#9397 2 years ago
Quoted from Dokkaebi:

I'd recommend cool white LEDs. My vision isn't the greatest anyway, but my game came to me with the sunlight LEDs and I still found it to be really dark, especially the battlefield. I use cool white for all my games anyway, but it really brightened this one up.

#9398 2 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

I'd recommend cool white LEDs. My vision isn't the greatest anyway, but my game came to me with the sunlight LEDs and I still found it to be really dark, especially the battlefield. I use cool white for all my games anyway, but it really brightened this one up.

I was about to recommend exactly against this, but I guess everybody's eyes are different.

Spotlights are a must on this game IMO.

If you do an LED job on a WPC game without an LEDOCD board, well, you've done an incomplete LED job.

It gets expensive.

#9399 2 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

I was about to recommend exactly against this, but I guess everybody's eyes are different.
Spotlights are a must on this game IMO.
If you do an LED job on a WPC game without an LEDOCD board, well, you've done an incomplete LED job.
It gets expensive.

Quick question…what about LED in the backbox GI?

Was thinking of reducing load and temperature there. Does The Shadow do GI dimming that would be missed in the backbox?

#9400 2 years ago
Quoted from emsrph:

Was thinking of reducing load and temperature there. Does The Shadow do GI dimming that would be missed in the backbox?

Shadow doesn't have as much dimming in the GI so much as it has very uniquely timed flickering that is unpalatable in my book when LED'd without the LEDOCD in the inserts and GI.

I kind of always tried to overlook the downsides of an LED job without the LEDOCD boards but a few years back a client had me fully go over his WPC-S games and do full shop jobs on them with the OCD boards included and now I refuse to LED a WPC game without them (unless the customer TRULY is always right and REALLY insists)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
There are 10,927 posts in this topic. You are on page 188 of 219.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club/page/188?hl=vipertim and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.