IMG_0517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0701 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0513 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1404 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1405 (resized).JPEG
IMG_7706 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,927 posts in this topic. You are on page 184 of 219.
#9151 2 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Just trying to get this final battle done and move on.
Vengeance…whooo shoot two ramps over and over. Lol.
Ive already scored over 1b on this game. Its about the final battle now.
I cant believe you did this! Did what? Snooze.
Any one in the chicago area want a two for one trade dejp and shadow for a newer elwin pin. I am listening.

An Elwin is definitely what you’re looking for in terms of variety.

#9152 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

How are you able to hit the Khan shot so consistently? Does the ball reliably/automatically go into the shot if you loop and hold up the upper flipper?

Found out this past weekend that was how Eddy designed it to work.

#9153 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Found out this past weekend that was how Eddy designed it to work.

Ya, thats how mine works. Shoot the left orbit, hold the flipper. Almost guaranteed into the hole.

ITS IN THE HOLE.

#9154 2 years ago

Ive had the game since July 2019, lol. Ive been close. No cigar yet.

Ya, I think I am just bored of 90s mode based games. I still love my 80s games that are all scoring based. Something about the same call outs and such over and over. Just gets boring.
I like how my t2 shot but that game was so freaking boring after a while. I sold that for this and now I am bored again. Lol
I think I just need a newer deeper pin. Something where not all the modes are linear and laid out the same way every game.
Right now Im shooting the loop to get into the shadow mb hole to get all my scenes. Then I wait until the farley mode to go to the battlefield. That way I can knock him out and the battlefield at the same time.
Then I will work my way back to the easy multiballs (shadow and khan) if I havent already inadvertently started them.
Really, you can skip all the modes and go right for final battle if you time them all out. I know the game is hard but maybe getting the insert on the scarf should have been if you COMPLETE the multiballs, not just start them.

You're so lucky that you are such an awesome player, I have had my shadow for over 16 years, got to final battle a few times, completed it once (that was a good day) this game never gets old, if you're rubbish

#9155 2 years ago

Ya, thats how mine works. Shoot the left orbit, hold the flipper. Almost guaranteed into the hole.
ITS IN THE HOLE.

I think that may be part of why the modes are getting old. @chuckwurt's comment aside, I was under the impression that it wasn't intended to be this way. I'm lucky if I get to 2 or 3 modes a game. Having said that I still haven't beaten the final battle after all these years. It sounds like you've had yours for some time too. This challenge is what keeps me coming back for more. Yeah, if I was getting to 5-6 modes reliably most games, I could see this game losing lasting appeal.

#9156 2 years ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

You're so lucky that you are such an awesome player, I have had my shadow for over 16 years, got to final battle a few times, completed it once (that was a good day) this game never gets old, if you're rubbish

I feel like once I have owned a game long enough and I figure out the “cheats” and easy shots, it becomes boring. Its not that I am such a great player, its just that I have owned this game long enough to exploit its weaknesses.

Quoted from jonesjb:

I think that may be part of why the modes are getting old. chuckwurt's comment aside, I was under the impression that it wasn't intended to be this way. I'm lucky if I get to 2 or 3 modes a game. Having said that I still haven't beaten the final battle after all these years. It sounds like you've had yours for some time too. This challenge is what keeps me coming back for more. Yeah, if I was getting to 5-6 modes reliably most games, I could see this game losing lasting appeal.

I should set my streaming gear up and have a go at final battle over xmas break. Maybe that will help me sell it too. People like to see games working before they buy them.

My biggest problem is keeping the khan mb from lighting so I can use that hole for the scene starts.

#9157 2 years ago

I feel like once I have owned a game long enough and I figure out the “cheats” and easy shots, it becomes boring. Its not that I am such a great player, its just that I have owned this game long enough to exploit its weaknesses.

I should set my streaming gear up and have a go at final battle over xmas break. Maybe that will help me sell it too. People like to see games working before they buy them.
My biggest problem is keeping the khan mb from lighting so I can use that hole for the scene starts.

That side saucer is lit for khan more than it is modes so even if your game can do the upper flipper trick, you’re not starting modes as easily as you’d think. And more cracks at Kahn is great because it’s so hard to get the SJP. I like to have 2-3 Kahns per game to increase my chances.

#9158 2 years ago

I changed my settings to not carry over the 'lit' Khan multiball from ball to ball. I think this works better. Otherwise the multiball is lit throughout most of the game.

#9159 2 years ago

I guess this is a case where it’s not so bad to be a novice player because I rarely get deep in this game, find it very challenging, and absolutely love playing it. I only recently got my Shadow but I see this one staying a while.

#9160 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I changed my settings to not carry over the 'lit' Khan multiball from ball to ball. I think this works better. Otherwise the multiball is lit throughout most of the game.

Yup, there are plenty of things you can do to make the game more challenging (moving outlane posts up, removing outlane rubbers, thicker post rubbers, tighter tilt, steeper incline, adjusting Kahn so it’s not easy to hit)

From a tournament strategy standpoint I love this game, same with TWD. So many ways to approach it and I set my games up to be very challenging.

But I could see how if you chose to keep the game setup on “easy” and if it was part of a small lineup, it could get old after a bit.

#9161 2 years ago

Hey guys,

I had a weird problem come up on my Shadow. I had a party on Saturday and the game was on all day/evening and now it isn’t acting right. The DMD was starting to mess up (6 or so vertical lines going through it) so I thought maybe it was starting to fail. Made half a joke about now I get to upgrade to color! Anyway, as the night progressed the DMD went completely out with the exception of a few small dots on the bottom. I started a game and there was no sound. I power cycled with no difference. Turned it off for the night and tried again the next morning. I played two balls and it worked great! Tried it again today and back to the three dots on the DMD and no sound. Any suggestions on where to start? I’m at a loss. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you!

#9162 2 years ago
Quoted from SNES:

Hey guys,
I had a weird problem come up on my Shadow. I had a party on Saturday and the game was on all day/evening and now it isn’t acting right. The DMD was starting to mess up (6 or so vertical lines going through it) so I thought maybe it was starting to fail. Made half a joke about now I get to upgrade to color! Anyway, as the night progressed the DMD went completely out with the exception of a few small dots on the bottom. I started a game and there was no sound. I power cycled with no difference. Turned it off for the night and tried again the next morning. I played two balls and it worked great! Tried it again today and back to the three dots on the DMD and no sound. Any suggestions on where to start? I’m at a loss. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you!

Try reseating your ribbon cables first.

#9163 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Try reseating your ribbon cables first.

Man, so easy. I thought to reseat the cables when I saw the vertical lines but when the sound when out my mind went to something overheated and went very bad. Seems to be working great now but I will let it run for a while to make sure all is well. Thank you so much for the suggestion!

#9164 2 years ago
Quoted from SNES:

Man, so easy. I thought to reseat the cables when I saw the vertical lines but when the sound when out my mind went to something overheated and went very bad. Seems to be working great now but I will let it run for a while to make sure all is well. Thank you so much for the suggestion!

No prob! That’s happened to me on a couple 90’s pins, with the lines thru the DMD, and my friend suggested checking the ribbons. I hope that’s it!

#9165 2 years ago

Got my switch from Sonic and just installed it. Easy installation with a guide included. Works like a charm and it is barely visible Thanks again Sonic

Still the favorite of all of my games!!

20211213_215244 (resized).jpg20211213_215244 (resized).jpg

#9166 2 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Got my switch from Sonic and just installed it. Easy installation with a guide included. Works like a charm and it is barely visible Thanks again Sonic
[quoted image]

Do you have a link for this switch? It looks very clean. I moved over the cherry style and mounted it in the same position. Your setup looks much better.

#9167 2 years ago
Quoted from Stebel:

Do you have a link for this switch?

Send a PM to Sonic !

#9168 2 years ago
Quoted from SNES:

The DMD was starting to mess up (6 or so vertical lines going through it) so I thought maybe it was starting to fail. Made half a joke about now I get to upgrade to color! Anyway, as the night progressed the DMD went completely out with the exception of a few small dots on the bottom. I started a game and there was no sound.

Sound and DMD data both share the same common data lines, which is why reseating this ribbon cable works, when is not a part related issue.2019-02-02 14_20_45-WPC ribbon cable to reseat - Paint (resized).png2019-02-02 14_20_45-WPC ribbon cable to reseat - Paint (resized).png

#9169 2 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Still the favorite of all of my games!!
[quoted image]

Looks great and thanks for the kind words!

Matt
M&M Creations

#9170 2 years ago

Does anyone have a pic of the sanctuary drop target mech mine doesn't look right or work right , especially where the target down switch is located and actuated. thanks

#9171 2 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

Does anyone have a pic of the sanctuary drop target mech mine doesn't look right or work right , especially where the target down switch is located and actuated. thanks

Does this help?

TS wall target (resized).jpgTS wall target (resized).jpg
#9172 2 years ago

Has anyone chromed their wire forms instead of the brass or black nickel? If so any pics on the game?

#9173 2 years ago
Quoted from twinmice:

Has anyone chromed their wire forms instead of the brass or black nickel? If so any pics on the game?

I didn't chrome them but polished them up really good as to all the brass is gone. Think it look really good if you also make the ramps shine.

Chroming them will even be better probably but i just got fanatical on them. There's a thin brass plating. with chrome underneath.

shadowchrome (resized).jpgshadowchrome (resized).jpg
#9174 2 years ago

I got my LEDOCD and GIOCD today. just installed the LEDOCD and must say it looks amazing right out of the box. Does anyone use any special settings for the shadow with these boards ? Thanks.

#9175 2 years ago
Quoted from twinmice:

I strongly recommend sticking with the brass. It works well with the art deco theme, and is one of the many unique characteristics of this pin. Why remove that?

#9176 2 years ago

Upgraded 5.25” speakers and lights.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-speakers-amp-panel-upgrade-to-le-stern-style-w-lights

185DAE6D-EEFA-4FCE-A63B-EAEB00E98EDA (resized).jpeg185DAE6D-EEFA-4FCE-A63B-EAEB00E98EDA (resized).jpeg
#9177 2 years ago

Hi Guys,
I have a Shadow to restore. Almost all is working but the left ring of my Shadow has no bulb AND no wires (probably someone did not replace the bulb in the ring and cut off the wires...).
Can anyone help me what wires (colours) I need are better send me a picture from below and under playfield with the wiring?
I will be thankful for ever!
Js

#9178 2 years ago

I just completed and reassembled a topside tear down and shop over the last day and now I have the entire of a column out. I can’t for the life of me find a missing/loose connector or broken wire. I have all of column 1 out and can’t find the cause at the moment. Annoying

EE06ADD8-BB1A-4633-8C89-C40FF71D76AB (resized).jpegEE06ADD8-BB1A-4633-8C89-C40FF71D76AB (resized).jpeg
#9179 2 years ago
Quoted from Jodannar:

I just completed and reassembled a topside tear down and shop over the last day and now I have the entire of a column out. I can’t for the life of me find a missing/loose connector or broken wire. I have all of column 1 out and can’t find the cause at the moment. Annoying[quoted image]

Is the col 1 issue on the lamps or switches?

If the lamps, use a DMM to check continuity from the J137-1 through the yellow-brown string of lamps. If you have continuity, then test that the board is working properly - Pinwiki describes how to test the lamp matrix https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Controlled_Lamp_Operational_Description

If the switches, J207-1 is to the col 1 switches on the PF, while J212-1 is to the col 1 switches in the cabinet (gun trigger, start button and plumb bob). If none of col 1 switches are working I'd suspect the CPU board.

#9180 2 years ago

Posted my Shadow for sale on the Canadian site Pinball Revolution if anyone is looking for a nice example. Fully loaded with COLORDMD, Laseriffic topper, Pinstadium lighting, LEDs, Flipper Fidelity speakers, powdercoated ramps and gun (with wood gun handle), etc. Enjoyed the game but time to move on to something else. Thank you.

22361196-B376-4690-A379-D65FFB062A86 (resized).jpeg22361196-B376-4690-A379-D65FFB062A86 (resized).jpeg
#9181 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Is the col 1 issue on the lamps or switches?
If the lamps, use a DMM to check continuity from the J137-1 through the yellow-brown string of lamps. If you have continuity, then test that the board is working properly - Pinwiki describes how to test the lamp matrix https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Controlled_Lamp_Operational_Description
If the switches, J207-1 is to the col 1 switches on the PF, while J212-1 is to the col 1 switches in the cabinet (gun trigger, start button and plumb bob). If none of col 1 switches are working I'd suspect the CPU board.

None of the column 1 switches for me are working. J207 connector is seated. I guess I’m on a continuity trace to see if there’s a break.

Update: I have continuity between all the common wires on the switches in the column so it’s not that.
Continuity from cabinet switches to j212-1 and continuity from playfield switches to j207-1.

It’s possible that a controlled lamp plug for the right ring lights was hooked into the switch matrix as the hacks on my machine have mis coloured and mismatched plug connectors for that section. Not sure though as all the other switches are registering correctly and I would have expected this to take out a different column.

#9182 2 years ago
Quoted from Jodannar:

None of the column 1 switches for me are working. J207 connector is seated. I guess I’m on a continuity trace to see if there’s a break

Column 1 switches are split into 2 wire looms connecting to the CPU board as some of the switches are located in the cabinet while others are on the PF - cabinet (J212) and PF (J207). If none of your column 1 switches are working (eg the start button isn't registering) then the issue is on the CPU board. If you have a logic probe check that column 1 (either J207-1 or J212-1) is pulsing high.

If however the start button, trigger and plumb bob (ie the cabinet column 1 switches) work, then the issue is only with the PF switches on column 1 and J207-1 and the green-brown wire is where you need to investigate.

#9183 2 years ago

Swapped out the IC for the matrix and it’s all good. Shorted it with an incorrect plug from the lamp circuit due to the controlled lamps hacks.

#9184 2 years ago

So who is working on THE SHADOW RETURNS software?

Funhouse gets a new update, but not Shadow?

I would most definitely buy a kit. Make it happen people!

#9185 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Does this help?
[quoted image]

Yes thank you. My switch lever is bent in a 1/2 circle, when the target is up the switch was still being activated by the lever that pushes it back up. I replaced the lever with a straight one and it's all better now thanks

#9186 2 years ago

hello guys, I often have problems with the ball launch (kicker bracket assembly) , the ball don't arrive to the top of the launch ramp, only sometimes and hardly it comes to play. I tried many fix, new solenoid, new solder joints, adjusting the bracket, new plunger and new spring, but nothing works... since I'm sick of this, I wanted to install a slightly stronger coil.. can you suggest one to replace the factory AE 23-800?

#9187 2 years ago

Finally got my game finished, after a long shopjob. I'm missing this 02-5142 thumbscrew on my battlefield. Nowhere to be found on the internet. Does anyone have a spare? I guess i could use an alan screw for the time being but the thing is i can only buy metric screws over here and don't want to destroy the thread. Don't know what imperial thread is used on this screw. Can you guys help me out so i can order something that's appropriate ? Thanks !

22 (resized).jpg22 (resized).jpg
#9188 2 years ago
Quoted from Dennis_B:

Finally got my game finished, after a long shopjob. I'm missing this 02-5142 thumbscrew on my battlefield. Nowhere to be found on the internet. Does anyone have a spare? I guess i could use an alan screw for the time being but the thing is i can only buy metric screws over here and don't want to destroy the thread. Don't know what imperial thread is used on this screw. Can you guys help me out so i can order something that's appropriate ? Thanks !
[quoted image]

check with brewninja he did make these for sale but now the link shows not available but maybe he can make you one

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1180-slap-save-creations/05008-the-shadow-upper-playfield-thumbscrew-02-5142

#9189 2 years ago

What’s up guys… new shadow owner here and pretty much a total noob at pinball repairs. I’m having issues with the left diverter, diverters work but position is like almost in the middle on the one side. It’s super annoying as I get a lot of rejects. Is this easy to fix? Thx!

EC421922-D094-42B8-A151-632965BF3738 (resized).jpegEC421922-D094-42B8-A151-632965BF3738 (resized).jpeg
#9190 2 years ago
Quoted from DropGems:

What’s up guys… new shadow owner here and pretty much a total noob at pinball repairs. I’m having issues with the left diverter, diverters work but position is like almost in the middle on the one side. It’s super annoying as I get a lot of rejects. Is this easy to fix? Thx!
[quoted image]

Lift up the playfield and look at the underside of the diverter mechanism. There are two set screws that hold the shaft for the diverter. Loosen them (its usually a tight fit for the allen wrench). Once loose, push the top side of the diverter to a ramp side. Make sure that the underside of the diverter is in the proper position for the back and forth movement.

20211219_112610 - Copy (resized).jpg20211219_112610 - Copy (resized).jpg
#9191 2 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

Lift up the playfield and look at the underside of the diverter mechanism. There are two set screws that hold the shaft for the diverter. Loosen them (its usually a tight fit for the allen wrench). Once loose, push the top side of the diverter to a ramp side. Make sure that the underside of the diverter is in the proper position for the back and forth movement.
[quoted image]

Thx man. Will give this a shot. sounds fairly easy!

#9192 2 years ago
Quoted from DropGems:

[quoted image]

Check for a broken or missing spring before adjusting diverter.

#9193 2 years ago

You may need to replace the crank arm assembly. When I got my Shadow, no matter how tight I got the set screws, they would eventually let loose again. Replacing this solved it for me. Solid for years now.

https://www.pinballlife.com/the-shadow-crank-arm-assembly.html

#9194 2 years ago

Can someone please post a photo of the screw used on the right ramp assembly to hold the switches and plastic on?

My machine was missing the right ramp clear plastic and the existing screws I have are too short to grab when placing in the clear. Did anyone else need to swap screws when using a cpr plastic set for this?

#9195 2 years ago
Quoted from Jodannar:

Can someone please post a photo of the screw used on the right ramp assembly to hold the switches and plastic on?
My machine was missing the right ramp clear plastic and the existing screws I have are too short to grab when placing in the clear. Did anyone else need to swap screws when using a cpr plastic set for this?

The Parts List lists a hex head screw for the large (aka right) ramp which is wrong.

The opto brackets take a SMS #6 screw 4106-01013-XX and my right ramp has 4106-01013-08 "sms #6 x 1/2 p-ph t-25" screws to accommodate the clear plastic (my plastic is from a Starship Fantasy made plastic set)

TS right ramp opto screw (resized).jpgTS right ramp opto screw (resized).jpg
#9196 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

The Parts List lists a hex head screw for the large (aka right) ramp which is wrong.
The opto brackets take a SMS #6 screw 4106-01013-XX and my right ramp has 4106-01013-08 "sms #6 x 1/2 p-ph t-25" screws to accommodate the clear plastic (my plastic is from a Starship Fantasy made plastic set)[quoted image]

Many thanks Manny. the screws I have are too short to hold with the thicker plastic

#9197 2 years ago

Anyone need one of these...its for the upper playfield plunger...as I recall it's a little beefier than the original ( came from overseas as I recall). 40.00 shipped contentenial US...shoot me a pm. this is new never used

16411416340701795387164763744503 (resized).jpg16411416340701795387164763744503 (resized).jpg
Edit -spoken for...

#9198 2 years ago

After a LONG shopjob, it was in a terrible condition when i bought it. My shadow is finally playable. It's a great players game for sure! I also got a theatre of magic and like it but somehow this game just keeps me away from controlling balls and has a lot of flow...
Still got some wishes like maybe do a matte black powder on the harnas, did anyone do that and has some pictures?
Really pleased with the way it turned out.

40aa8dd0-79c6-4013-9036-4416c962a330 (resized).jpg40aa8dd0-79c6-4013-9036-4416c962a330 (resized).jpg
#9199 2 years ago
Quoted from Dennis_B:

After a LONG shopjob, it was in a terrible condition when i bought it. My shadow is finally playable. It's a great players game for sure! I also got a theatre of magic and like it but somehow this game just keeps me away from controlling balls and has a lot of flow...
Still got some wishes like maybe do a matte black powder on the harnas, did anyone do that and has some pictures?
Really pleased with the way it turned out.
[quoted image]

Looks good, do you before and after pics?

#9200 2 years ago

Is it true that when you orbit and hold the 3rd flipper, the ball is supposed to go into the mode start saucer? Mine totally doesn’t do this. Is it supposed to and if so, how do you adjust? Thx!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

There are 10,927 posts in this topic. You are on page 184 of 219.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club/page/184?hl=thebeefsupreme and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.