IMG_0517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0701 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0513 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1404 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1405 (resized).JPEG
IMG_7706 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,927 posts in this topic. You are on page 178 of 219.
#8851 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

So I updated the fuse, turned the pin on, it turned on for a second and it immediately blew again. Hmmm, back to the drawing board on what could be causing the main fuse to blow.

Quoted from Gorgar666:

Shadow just took a Dump, F116 low 12v pin(7v) but the 5v pin is good.

Both of you should check BR-5 on the PDB board.

#8852 2 years ago

Will do. The board is off now. How?

987C2252-C403-4E41-992A-602F0F41C884 (resized).jpeg987C2252-C403-4E41-992A-602F0F41C884 (resized).jpeg
#8853 2 years ago

Question for you guys: does your Shadow lock shot lead to a lot of SDTM drains when not lit?

My magnet is raised through the playfield, and the ball usually drops to the right flipper safely.

#8854 2 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

Will do. The board is off now. How?
[quoted image]

Not my video, but this should help.

#8855 2 years ago
Quoted from aFineMoose:

Question for you guys: does your Shadow lock shot lead to a lot of SDTM drains when not lit?
My magnet is raised through the playfield, and the ball usually drops to the right flipper safely.

Depends which flipper you are hitting the Sanctum with as to where the ball ricochets to, so look at how to make the shot while reducing the risk of SDTM drains. It's a risk/reward shot and games are specifically designed this way.

#8856 2 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Not my video, but this should help.

BR4 & 5 Blown. Could this be the reason I’m not getting 12v @ J116 I’m getting 7v.

#8857 2 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

BR4 & 5 Blown. Could this be the reason I’m not getting 12v @ J116 I’m getting 7v.

Correct. BR5 is 12V and BR4 is your 20V. Looking at the WPC power driver board schematics shows that BR5 connects to J116-2 (you could also check the voltage at TP1). Also check that F116 fuse is ok

#8858 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Correct. BR5 is 12V and BR4 is your 20V. Looking at the WPC power driver board schematics shows that BR5 connects to J116-2 (you could also check the voltage at TP1). Also check that F116 fuse is ok

F116 was glowing red and ready to blow. TP1was showing 4volts. ColorDMD wasn’t booting. It has a splitter on J116. I believe this is also my Ball trough issue. Kicking out all the balls.

#8859 2 years ago

New issue emerged with the DMD on my Shadow. I noticed it about a week ago but seemed to rectify itself after warming up. Now it stays like this. Repeated cables and tested another known working dmd and presented the same distortion.

Any suggestions?

20210823_195345 (resized).jpg20210823_195345 (resized).jpg20210823_195348 (resized).jpg20210823_195348 (resized).jpg20210823_195351 (resized).jpg20210823_195351 (resized).jpg
#8860 2 years ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

New issue emerged with the DMD on my Shadow. I noticed it about a week ago but seemed to rectify itself after warming up. Now it stays like this. Repeated cables and tested another known working dmd and presented the same distortion.
Any suggestions?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

What the hell, are all Shadows like reaching their retirement age or something? This is what happened to me, still trying to get the thing to turn on after shorting a few fuses. It looks like a few Shadow owners are having dramas this past week.

#8861 2 years ago

Any suggestions?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I pulled a fuse and reseated a few cables. Same display issues but now neither flipper is energized, ball won't shoot into lane, phurba 's aren't energized.

Hard to read the error messages, but from what I can read:

R flipper Eos
UR Flipper eos
Battle drop down
Wall drop down

F1
F5
Bad Drop Switch or Coil- hard to read
Another bad switch or coil, can't read.

#8862 2 years ago

Start by checking the 4 voltages for the plasma display.

#8863 2 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

F116 was glowing red and ready to blow. TP1was showing 4volts. ColorDMD wasn’t booting. It has a splitter on J116. I believe this is also my Ball trough issue. Kicking out all the balls.

Given you tested BR4 & BR5 and found they are faulty, you'll need to replace them first. If you have a spare power driver board or can swap one out of your other WPC machines you'll be able to test to see if there are any other issues (other than on your PDB)

#8864 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Given you tested BR4 & BR5 and found they are faulty, you'll need to replace them first. If you have a spare power driver board or can swap one out of your other WPC machines you'll be able to test to see if there are any other issues (other than on your PDB)

I just ordered the needed BRs. As I am unable to see the color DMD at all , this Has to be the first thing to do. thanks for your help.

#8865 2 years ago

I pulled a fuse and reseated a few cables. Same display issues but now neither flipper is energized, ball won't shoot into lane, phurba 's aren't energized.
Hard to read the error messages, but from what I can read:
R flipper Eos
UR Flipper eos
Battle drop down
Wall drop down
F1
F5

Which cables did you reseat? Did you do both connectors on all 3 ribbon cables (2 b/n MPU and DMD controller, and 1 b/n the DMD controller and the DMD). You also need to ensure you match up the pins correctly as it is possible to be one row off or one column off - which maybe what has caused the other issues.

#8866 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Which cables did you reseat? Did you do both connectors on all 3 ribbon cables (2 b/n MPU and DMD controller, and 1 b/n the DMD controller and the DMD). You also need to ensure you match up the pins correctly as it is possible to be one row off or one column off - which maybe what has caused the other issues.

What would happen if one reseats the pins and is off by a row?

#8867 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I'm no expert here and thinking back now I believe it was if you get the short ribbon cable b/n the MPU and PDB wrong it is know to cause issues. But it really depends which connector you got wrong and how it was connected as to what would happen. For example one of the ribbon cables interlinks the MPU to the DMD controller board via the Fliptronics board, so having the data pins out of alignment could cause weird behaviour with the flippers.

#8868 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I did the same thing. Look closely.

FFDA584C-85F5-4CD5-9E09-41D5362F3ACB (resized).jpegFFDA584C-85F5-4CD5-9E09-41D5362F3ACB (resized).jpeg
#8869 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

I'm no expert here and thinking back now I believe it was if you get the short ribbon cable b/n the MPU and PDB wrong it is know to cause issues. But it really depends which connector you got wrong and how it was connected as to what would happen. For example one of the ribbon cables interlinks the MPU to the DMD controller board via the Fliptronics board, so having the data pins out of alignment could cause weird behaviour with the flippers.

Quoted from Gorgar666:

[quoted image]

I'm hoping this is the case. I hate creating new problems every time I fix something else.

#8870 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Yes, all 3 ribbon cables. I checked again this morning to make sure everything was on correctly and still have no power to the flippers, phurba ect.

Same errors as before

11 gun switch
R flipper Eos
UR Flipper eos
Battle drop down
Wall drop down

F1
F5

#8871 2 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

[quoted image]

Sorry, I'm missing it. It looks seated correctly, no?

#8872 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Sorry, I'm missing it. It looks seated correctly, no?

No, he missed a entire row and is off top to bottom as well.

#8873 2 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

[quoted image]

Ha ha. I think we have all done that. Usually for me it’s on those smaller connector to the CPU board.

#8874 2 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

No, he missed a entire row and is off top to bottom as well.

Wow. I still can’t see any extra pins hanging out anywhere. I’m going to have to go over mine with a magnifying glass.

#8875 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Wow. I still can’t see any extra pins hanging out anywhere. I’m going to have to go over mine with a magnifying glass.

14B479BD-EDBB-4C57-AA48-ECAFE8BC66F9 (resized).png14B479BD-EDBB-4C57-AA48-ECAFE8BC66F9 (resized).png
#8876 2 years ago

Yeah that mistake undoubtedly caused a whole bunch of issues and possibly board damage.

#8877 2 years ago

What do you think of this cpu board battery damage? Fixable? Should I get a new board?

Ok, this is a bit of a fib because it's from my who dunnit, but no response over there and it's the same board as my shadow.

20210823_141254 (resized).jpg20210823_141254 (resized).jpg
#8878 2 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

What do you think of this cpu board battery damage? Fixable? Should I get a new board?
Ok, this is a bit of a fib because it's from my who dunnit, but no response over there and it's the same board as my shadow.
[quoted image]

Sure it is fixable but you need to be pretty good at board repair to pull it off. The connectors and headers in that area also likely need replaced. I bet you the pins in those connectors are toast.

#8879 2 years ago

i would like to see the other side, i say fixable by someone who knows what they are doing

#8880 2 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

[quoted image]

Totally fixable. I suggest Jerry Clause or Chris Hibler. Both are excellent with reasonable prices.

#8881 2 years ago

Oh wow! I see it now!

#8882 2 years ago

Awesome, thanks for all the replies. I definitely can't do it myself, so ill send it out. Needs a full shop anyway, so its a good time to do it.

#8883 2 years ago

Yes, all 3 ribbon cables. I checked again this morning to make sure everything was on correctly and still have no power to the flippers, phurba ect.
Same errors as before
11 gun switch
R flipper Eos
UR Flipper eos
Battle drop down
Wall drop down
F1
F5

When you say there is no power to the flippers - are you measuring the voltage at the flipper coils? Or just that the flippers don't work in game mode? Have you tested if they work in T.12 Flipper coil test mode (hopefully you can see enough of the DMD display - the manual will help show you the options if you don't have another WPC machine to work off)?

I'm guessing that probably the switches (flipper and phurba buttons) aren't being recognised, given all the other switch errors you're getting - if you go into switch test mode you can verify if they are being seen when pressed.

Do you have a spare MPU board (WPC-S)??

#8884 2 years ago

Is it just me but is every post in this thread about an issue with the machine? Starting to sound like the JJP Guns n Roses thread lol

#8885 2 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Is it just me but is every post in this thread about an issue with the machine? Starting to sound like the JJP Guns n Roses thread lol

Nah just owners helping other owners and enjoying being part of the club

#8886 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

When you say there is no power to the flippers - are you measuring the voltage at the flipper coils? Or just that the flippers don't work in game mode? Have you tested if they work in T.12 Flipper coil test mode (hopefully you can see enough of the DMD display - the manual will help show you the options if you don't have another WPC machine to work off)?
I'm guessing that probably the switches (flipper and phurba buttons) aren't being recognised, given all the other switch errors you're getting - if you go into switch test mode you can verify if they are being seen when pressed.
Do you have a spare MPU board (WPC-S)??

Thanks for the detailed response. This is the only DMD game I currently have. I do have a known working DMD from black rose, but that it in regards to helpful supplies.
Oddly enough I reseated everything again and changed out out F112 (solenoid secondary) now the power is restored and game is playing perfect. Not sure if this was coincidence with changing the fuse or was the cables all along.

Now back to the fuzzy display. Is this a low voltage thing? If I add a color dmd do I bypass this issue or bring it with me? Either why I'd like to repair the display in the meantime so I can see what I'm doing. Pretty difficult dodging those phurbas! I've set some new high scores also but no idea what they are!

Quoted from allsportdvd:

Issues aside, this has quickly become the favorite game in my collection right now. What other games do you think fit the same mold as Shadow? It makes me want to hunt a few more 90s Bally games if I can find something similar in depth and difficulty.

#8887 2 years ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:It makes me want to hunt a few more 90s Bally games if I can find something similar in depth and difficulty.

Doesn’t exist. Shadow is better than all of them.

Maybe BSD or Creech

#8888 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Doesn’t exist. Shadow is better than all of them.
Maybe BSD or Creech

BSD has been on my list for quite awhile also. Ill look into Creech a bit more to see what I'm missing.

#8889 2 years ago

Creech fits the difficulty bill for sure.

#8890 2 years ago

I second the BSD comment. I'm restoring one right now. Creech is a bit shallow for me. The other game I'd nominate purely for having the same difficulty as Shadow is Johnny Mnemonic, also brutal

#8891 2 years ago

Johnny is a good call. Not easy to get to the end of that at all.

#8892 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Creech fits the difficulty bill for sure.

Not sure I'd put Creech in the same category as Shadow, I find that I can get into the zone far easier on Creech and put up scores of 1-3B ... of course everyone's machines play different and I definitely played some more challenging Creech's. That said I do enjoy having it in my collection

#8893 2 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

I second the BSD comment. I'm restoring one right now. Creech is a bit shallow for me. The other game I'd nominate purely for having the same difficulty as Shadow is Johnny Mnemonic, also brutal

Johnny, BSDracula and Shadow a part of my collection .I couldn’t be happier….I’m moving on from the hobby of Pinball purchasing. I’m gonna keep and maintained the ones I have now and I’m done. Deadpool in December and then I’m done.

#8894 2 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

Johnny, BSDracula and Shadow a part of my collection .I couldn’t be happier….I’m moving on from the hobby of Pinball purchasing. I’m gonna keep and maintained the ones I have now and I’m done. Deadpool in December and then I’m done.

Lol. No for real.

#8895 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Not sure I'd put Creech in the same category as Shadow, I find that I can get into the zone far easier on Creech and put up scores of 1-3B ... of course everyone's machines play different and I definitely played some more challenging Creech's. That said I do enjoy having it in my collection

I’ve never even sniffed more than a few hundred million. Very difficult for me to do the thing.

#8896 2 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

Well why not swap em out? I’m about tapped on space, 18 is my limit. Then I’ll have about 8-10 that rotate on a yearly basis to keep things fresh.

#8897 2 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

I'm 2/3rd of the way there. JM is next. Just played it a week ago and got addicted. Such a good underrated game- flowiest and fastest game of all time.

#8898 2 years ago

Thanks for the detailed response. This is the only DMD game I currently have. I do have a known working DMD from black rose, but that it in regards to helpful supplies.
Oddly enough I reseated everything again and changed out out F112 (solenoid secondary) now the power is restored and game is playing perfect. Not sure if this was coincidence with changing the fuse or was the cables all along.
Now back to the fuzzy display. Is this a low voltage thing? If I add a color dmd do I bypass this issue or bring it with me? Either why I'd like to repair the display in the meantime so I can see what I'm doing. Pretty difficult dodging those phurbas! I've set some new high scores also but no idea what they are!

Issues aside, this has quickly become the favorite game in my collection right now. What other games do you think fit the same mold as Shadow? It makes me want to hunt a few more 90s Bally games if I can find something similar in depth and difficulty.

Congo!

#8899 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

BSD, TS, and Creech are my golden trilogy. All ass kickers.

#8900 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Then I’ll have about 8-10 that rotate on a yearly basis to keep things fresh.

Let me know when you’re ready to rotate out that Big Ga… oh wait, damn, I tried so hard to finish that sentence, but just couldn’t.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
$ 37.50
€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

There are 10,927 posts in this topic. You are on page 178 of 219.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club/page/178?hl=cfes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.