IMG_0517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0701 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0513 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1404 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1405 (resized).JPEG
IMG_7706 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,927 posts in this topic. You are on page 170 of 219.
#8451 3 years ago
Quoted from Stebel:

Added star post illumination to all the lower yellow posts. I think it looks good.
Tough to get a good picture, to really showcase it.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks good.

#8452 3 years ago
Quoted from Stebel:

Added star post illumination to all the lower yellow posts. I think it looks good.
Tough to get a good picture, to really showcase it.

I haven’t seen the yellow star posts before. I like it. Just a heads up, if you try red or orange star post illumination to the yellow posts it will like likely look very cool and create a golden luster gradient.

If you find pics of my pin on this thread I’ve done it with purple posts and blue illumination. So you can get the gist.

EDIT: adding a photo.
5392192D-6014-4F44-8929-5DD6C052934B (resized).jpeg5392192D-6014-4F44-8929-5DD6C052934B (resized).jpeg

#8453 3 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I haven’t seen the yellow star posts before. I like it. Just a heads up, if you try red or orange star post illumination to the yellow posts it will like likely look very cool and create a golden luster gradient.
I’d you find pics of my pin on this thread I’ve done it with purple posts and blue illumination. So you can get the gist.
EDIT: adding a photo. [quoted image]

I’ll have to try some color combos. Right now I am addicted to lighting up star posts. Just finished doing all the posts on a TZ. Used glow in the dark posts for the mini pf and wired it to battle the power insert.

I want to experiment with making some flash when a coil is activated. I’ll have to figure out a Zener diode wiring with resistor for that.

#8454 2 years ago

I've been fighting with an intermittent issue for a while and I'm hoping some other owners might be able to help. Because it is intermittent, it's hard to really test.

My issue is, when I shoot the Sanctum shot (with the wall up) to lock a ball, the wall immediately falls, when that happens the machine gets confused and doesn't want to throw the ball into the lock using the magnet.

My current thinking is that something is causing the wall to fall prematurely and then the machine gets confused because the wall shouldn't be down yet and it assumes the wall down switch is malfunctioning so it doesn't "know" if the wall is actually up or down so then it just drops the ball (straight down the middle no less!).

So, is there anyway to determine, or does anyone know what exactly triggers the wall to drop when a ball is locked? The magnet catches and registers shots consistently so I'm hesitant to blame a faulty opto.

#8456 2 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

I've been fighting with an intermittent issue for a while and I'm hoping some other owners might be able to help. Because it is intermittent, it's hard to really test.

My issue is, when I shoot the Sanctum shot (with the wall up) to lock a ball, the wall immediately falls, when that happens the machine gets confused and doesn't want to throw the ball into the lock using the magnet.

My current thinking is that something is causing the wall to fall prematurely and then the machine gets confused because the wall shouldn't be down yet and it assumes the wall down switch is malfunctioning so it doesn't "know" if the wall is actually up or down so then it just drops the ball (straight down the middle no less!).

So, is there anyway to determine, or does anyone know what exactly triggers the wall to drop when a ball is locked? The magnet catches and registers shots consistently so I'm hesitant to blame a faulty opto.

So I've got a bit more info to present that will hopefully shed a little more light on what exactly is happening. I recorded some Shadow gameplay a few months back and I just went and looked at it to see if it had a good example of my issues. It's only about 11 minutes total, but I've timestamped 3 specific parts:

First, a successful lock where you can see the wall doesn't drop immediately but only after a short pause after the ball is caught.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/zUip7WPLcxo?start=291&end=298

Second, a failed lock where the wall falls immediately.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/zUip7WPLcxo?start=445&end=455

And, Third, a time when the wall falls during Khan MB, is that supposed to happen during KHAN?
https://www.youtube.com/embed/zUip7WPLcxo?start=333&end=343

From reviewing this video, I'm kind of getting this feeling like the Wall Target might just be falling the same way a drop target does. So I'm going to check out that little wall down nub (that is actuated by the mini-coil) and see if maybe when the wall gets pushed by a hard-shot ball the nub also goes with it and allows the spring to pull the wall down and/or maybe the wall down spring has too much tension.

#8457 2 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

Is it the physical impact that knocks it down? Maybe the little piston that holds it up is worn or unaligned. Roll some balls at it with the game powered down.

#8458 2 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Is it the physical impact that knocks it down? Maybe the little piston that holds it up is worn or unaligned. Roll some balls at it with the game powered down.

I wouldnt have expected that to be possible without the coil firing to release the target but based on the video, that definitely seems plausible. Im hoping Ill have time to test it this evening. This issue has been bothering me for a while, not enough to ruin the gameplay or anything but more like an occasional slap in the face. Fingers crossed.

#8459 2 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

Take the glass off and with the machine off check how firm the wall is being held in the up position - I'm guessing it's not being held in place well enough and it's a mechanical issue. Note that the top small coil is used to drop the target, but I doubt that it's being triggered incorrectly; hence seeing if the target will drop with the power off will confirm this.

It could be a range of things, I'd focus on the area circled in red, ... it could be the spring (#6) is broken and/or simply isn't holding the plunger (#7) hard enough up against the target, or the bracket (#8 - it's where #9 is pointed) is broken (the plunger pushes the target up against this bracket to stop it sliding down), or maybe there is a problem with the alignment/position of the top coil & plunger.

If you can't figure it out, post some pics of the mech

TS Extended Target (resized).JPGTS Extended Target (resized).JPG
#8460 2 years ago

Hi, I read a couple of different posts on this but I’m slightly confused on what my problem could be. I recently bought a shadow and decided to upgrade the DMD to a color dmd. It looks like it had been replaced previously as there’s a vishay DMD installed.

The Colordmd works fine, but now the game will occasionally reset (did not happen before). In other posts it appears that I might have a power draw issue? I’m also curious if this wire from the Vishay DMD has anything to do with it (see photo) as it is now unused but still attached to a board somewhere (I can’t seem to trace the line all the way without removing a bunch of other connectors and cable ties)

Would appreciate any help. Thanks

0F7FA3CA-1900-4EB7-ADCB-72B043441546 (resized).jpeg0F7FA3CA-1900-4EB7-ADCB-72B043441546 (resized).jpeg
#8461 2 years ago

Does anybody have a spare battlefield mini-playfield they’d be willing to sell? I plan to clear coat it so I don’t care if it is rough looking.

Mine had mylar on it and what I thought was a big air bubble in the center of the red insert, but after removing the mylar it looks like it is some kind of crazing in the clear coat or insert itself. I don’t think there is any way to repair it without replacing the insert, which I don’t want to do.

CPR has some seconds available but thought I’d see if somebody has one that they replaced and would be willing to part with. Thanks!

#8462 2 years ago
Quoted from KrazyIvan14:

Hi, I read a couple of different posts on this but I’m slightly confused on what my problem could be. I recently bought a shadow and decided to upgrade the DMD to a color dmd. It looks like it had been replaced previously as there’s a vishay DMD installed.
The Colordmd works fine, but now the game will occasionally reset (did not happen before). In other posts it appears that I might have a power draw issue? I’m also curious if this wire from the Vishay DMD has anything to do with it (see photo) as it is now unused but still attached to a board somewhere (I can’t seem to trace the line all the way without removing a bunch of other connectors and cable ties)
Would appreciate any help. Thanks
[quoted image]

Your color DMD uses a lot less power than the old one however it uses different power (5 and 12 volts) my guess is the caps are getting tired and possibly the 5 volt regulator is falling out of specs. These components are found on the driver board and require a certain amount of skill to replace. The easy fix is to just get a kahr board and keep an eye on things.

#8463 2 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

The easy fix is to just get a kahr board and keep an eye on things.

I will second that recommendation. Have used these on a couple pins to help with resets caused by voltage issues and very happy. Make sure you get the board from rkahr and not any copycats.

#8464 2 years ago

ColorDMD runs off your 12v so it shouldn’t cause a 5v reset unless something is very wrong. In fact as the Kahr board uses the 12v to “fix” the 5v I don’t even know if it would help unless your problem isn’t the 12v at all.

Also you can just unplug the old
DMD and leave the connector hanging. Most people (myself included) also unplug from
the HV display board but I don’t think it really matters. Just leave the old cables in case you ever need to switch back to a normal DMD.

#8465 2 years ago

Whats the deal with the "kahn" scoop? A "scene" will begin if the ball lands here. But Bally did not install a "start scene" insert here. Was this something that was added to the gamecode? Or a bug? Visitors seem confused when a scene starts from this scoop.

#8466 2 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

ColorDMD runs off your 12v so it shouldn’t cause a 5v reset unless something is very wrong. In fact as the Kahr board uses the 12v to “fix” the 5v I don’t even know if it would help unless your problem isn’t the 12v at all.
Also you can just unplug the old
DMD and leave the connector hanging. Most people (myself included) also unplug from
the HV display board but I don’t think it really matters. Just leave the old cables in case you ever need to switch back to a normal DMD.

From the Color DMD website:

LOW VOLTAGE
In contrast to existing high-voltage plasma displays, the ColorDMD uses the low voltage 5V and 12V outputs from a power driver board. A keyed 4-pin power cable is provided for simple connection between the ColorDMD driver board and the existing power driver board. An expansion connector on the power cable provides support for other existing boards and devices.

#8467 2 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Whats the deal with the "kahn" scoop? A "scene" will begin if the ball lands here. But Bally did not install a "start scene" insert here. Was this something that was added to the gamecode? Or a bug? Visitors seem confused when a scene starts from this scoop.

My guess is they found that only starting scenes at the right saucer made it tough to advance through them so they made the Khan Saucer also start a scene. That's my best guess at least.

#8468 2 years ago

Thanks all, just went to the kahr website and bought the board. Appreciate the help and quick responses.

#8469 2 years ago

Anyone have an extra Aurich translite / speaker kit or one that they’d be willing to part with?

#8470 2 years ago

Hi, I recently fired up the old pinball for my kids to play and saw the all the earth strips are carrying 110v. I’m pretty sure it’s the PSU A-17540 (where the switch is) but before I start pulling it to pieces I wanted to check if anyone else had seen this before?

1D9F838B-08DC-4A00-A01C-3C17B7AF82E6 (resized).jpeg1D9F838B-08DC-4A00-A01C-3C17B7AF82E6 (resized).jpeg
#8471 2 years ago
Quoted from seblbuk:

Hi, I recently fired up the old pinball for my kids to play and saw the all the earth strips are carrying 110v. I’m pretty sure it’s the PSU A-17540 (where the switch is) but before I start pulling it to pieces I wanted to check if anyone else had seen this before?[quoted image]

You're in the UK (right?), therefore 230V input power - the only place in the machine I can think of that produces around 110V would be the high voltage section of the DMD controller. If you disconnect the DMD controller board and power up the machine, do you still see the voltage on the earth?

#8472 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

A great idea ,well executed!
Scott comes up with some cool stuff,with his electronic skills I would have made the 4 knobs micro leds with each led tied into one of the saucer insert lights.
With where it is positioned Is the view of the ball in the saucer obscured from the players view?

I just installed this mod.

My immediate impression was blocking the saucer was a vast improvement. I wasn't thinking about it making any difference, but it just instantly seemed better to me.

Watching the ball sit in the scoop and do nothing was anti climactic. Blocking it adds mystery.

Also, shooting a ball through the tunnel created by the radio makes the ball look like it's moving faster and the shot is more dynamic

I never thought the saucer area needed anything, but the radio fills it perfectly.

My only issue is the ghosting led bulb that came with the radio. It has a constant flicker effect. I'm convincing myself it adds authenticity to the effect of an old tube radio.

I think colored tiny led's for knobs indicating the specific function would be cool, but it would not be consistent with the era of the radio.

#8473 2 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I just installed this mod.
My immediate impression was blocking the saucer was a vast improvement. I wasn't thinking about it making any difference, but it just instantly seemed better to me.
Watching the ball sit in the scoop and do nothing was anti climactic. Blocking it adds mystery.
Also, shooting a ball through the tunnel created by the radio makes the ball look like it's moving faster and the shot is more dynamic
I never thought the saucer area needed anything, but the radio fills it perfectly.
My only issue is the ghosting led bulb that came with the radio. It has a constant flicker effect. I'm convincing myself it adds authenticity to the effect of an old tube radio.
I think colored tiny led's for knobs indicating the specific function would be cool, but it would not be consistent with the era of the radio.

Very cool, can you please post a picture?

#8474 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Very cool, can you please post a picture?

I replaced the provided white bulb with a spare amber bulb I had. The radio has an amber filter so the provided white bulb looks amber as well. I was just comparing. Both were similar.

20210503_173310 (resized).jpg20210503_173310 (resized).jpg
#8475 2 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I replaced the provided white bulb with a spare amber bulb I had. The radio has an amber filter so the provided white bulb looks amber as well. I was just comparing. Both were similar. [quoted image]

Looks beautiful! I like how it seems at home with the wall backdrop.

#8476 2 years ago

New to the club. Just got a Shadow in with some issues.

The first one :

Mini playfield is not working. Testing : Optos on the playfield are ok, optos beneath the playfield left /right from coil are ok.
All cables seems to be ok, reseated the 3 plugs.
LED 1 is on
Coil gives 11ohm...?? is this ok? I thought a coil only should give 5ohm ?
when I do the motor test left or right nothing moves...

How to test the motor and the coil?

other ideas ?
error error (resized).jpgerror error (resized).jpgerror mini bad (resized).jpgerror mini bad (resized).jpg
mini playfield under (resized).jpgmini playfield under (resized).jpg

#8477 2 years ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

New to the club. Just got a Shadow in with some issues.
The first one :
Mini playfield is not working. Testing : Optos on the playfield are ok, optos beneath the playfield left /right from coil are ok.
All cables seems to be ok, reseated the 3 plugs.
LED 1 is on
Coil gives 11ohm...?? is this ok? I thought a coil only should give 5ohm ?
when I do the motor test left or right nothing moves...
How to test the motor and the coil?
other ideas ?
[quoted image]

Trying to recall, but I thought the motor controller board is at the rear (top-underside) of the playfield...have you checked that yet?

#8478 2 years ago

Is the mechanism moving freely? I think it will throw that error if it’s encountering too much resistance.

#8479 2 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Trying to recall, but I thought the motor controller board is at the rear (top-underside) of the playfield...have you checked that yet?

That's the one with the LED on I guess, the LED is on, what else and how to check?

#8480 2 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Is the mechanism moving freely? I think it will throw that error if it’s encountering too much resistance.

It's not sliding from left to right sliding when I push it, you can feel small resistance from the motor but it moves freely and you can feel the gear turning. Think this is ok.

#8481 2 years ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

That's the one with the LED on I guess, the LED is on, what else and how to check?

Ok it not the board you have pictured, there another one (I think there are two actually) next to each other...I'd check those connectors first.

#8482 2 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Ok it not the board you have pictured, there another one (I think there are two actually) next to each other...I'd check those connectors first.

There is only one under the mini playfield + 2 optos on little PCB's and 2 strips holding the lamps.
Is the one you speak off under the main playfield?

#8483 2 years ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

There is only one under the mini playfield + 2 optos on little PCB's and 2 strips holding the lamps.

Ok look under the playfield(main not small battlefield) to the very rear...follow the wiring harness from the motor...should goninto a board...check that

#8484 2 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Ok look under the playfield(main not small battlefield) to the very rear...follow the wiring harness from the motor...should goninto a board...check that

There is indeed a small board but I think it controls the optos. the red black/wire goes to opto on playfield. The grey/black I think to optos under playfield. The motor has a red and white/yellowish cable.
When power is on, LED onboard is on as well and both optos seems to work according to switch edge test.

control board (resized).jpgcontrol board (resized).jpg

#8485 2 years ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

There is indeed a small board but I think it controls the optos. the red black/wire goes to opto on playfield. The grey/black I think to optos under playfield. The motor has a red and white/yellowish cable.
When power is on, LED onboard is on as well and both optos seems to work according to switch edge test.
[quoted image]

Ok, and the board to the right of that?...

#8486 2 years ago

This is the board you are looking for. Remove the board and look on the back side for cracked solder joints.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#8487 2 years ago

Check the 2 rails on the underside of the battlefield that the arm slides on and make sure they are clean. If they are gunked up its hard for the mech to slide freely.

#8488 2 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

This is the board you are looking for. Remove the board and look on the back side for cracked solder joints.
[quoted image]

OK will do..

The LED on this little PCB is off when Pin is on, is that normal ?

There is no power on pin 1 and 4 on J2 (tested with motor on selection in test menu and motor off, should be 20V I think)
I reseated connector J116 and J126 on the PDB (they look ok and all cables are tight)
I also noticed LED 3 on the PDB is off, but no idea if there is a link, just mentioning...

#8489 2 years ago

Anyone have an Aurich translite / speaker panel kit (extra / not using) that they’d be willing to sell?

#8490 2 years ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

OK will do..
The LED on this little PCB is off when Pin is on, is that normal ?
There is no power on pin 1 and 4 on J2 (tested with motor on selection in test menu and motor off, should be 20V I think)
I reseated connector J116 and J126 on the PDB (they look ok and all cables are tight)
I also noticed LED 3 on the PDB is off, but no idea if there is a link, just mentioning...

When starting a game without balls the kicker moves while in search of balls at game start... meaning it gets power...

#8491 2 years ago
Quoted from KrazyIvan14:

Anyone have an Aurich translite / speaker panel kit (extra / not using) that they’d be willing to sell?

I'm pretty confident that Aurich will be running another batch of translites. If you want one I suggest you add your name to the list:

https://forms.gle/HDPP9oTfghT9YBZq5

He posted an update in his thread earlier today: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aurich-s-shadow-translite-final-run-last-call

#8492 2 years ago

Already on the list, but missed the latest update. Thanks!

#8493 2 years ago
Quoted from TinyBlackDog:

I'm pretty confident that Aurich will be running another batch of translites. If you want one I suggest you add your name to the list:
https://forms.gle/HDPP9oTfghT9YBZq5
He posted an update in his thread earlier today: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aurich-s-shadow-translite-final-run-last-call

I think Im over this excitement. When I first got the game, I wanted this. Once I had it a while, it doesnt bother me and seems unnecessary. Other fish to fry.

#8494 2 years ago

Hi, looking for some help, I can’t seem to catch a break with this machine. After installing the colordmd I had an issue with it rebooting during games. I installed the kahr board and everything worked great for a week.

I’m not having an issue with the lower GI (slingshots and plastics on each side). The LEDs all of a sudden started flashing continuously.

Appreciate any help as the game is not playable in this state. Thanks

#8495 2 years ago
Quoted from KrazyIvan14:

Hi, looking for some help, I can’t seem to catch a break with this machine. After installing the colordmd I had an issue with it rebooting during games. I installed the kahr board and everything worked great for a week.
I’m not having an issue with the lower GI (slingshots and plastics on each side). The LEDs all of a sudden started flashing continuously.
Appreciate any help as the game is not playable in this state. Thanks

All of the lower GI is controlled by pins 1 & 7 on J121. The easiest test is to swap plugs J120 and J121 (these are interchangeable).
If that doesn’t help, first check the J121 plug and see if it looks scorched.

If it looks ok, use you multimeter on J121 to test the voltage across pins 1 & 7 (set it to AC). If it is below 6V, test the voltage on each pin of J115 (put the black multimeter lead on the ground strap).
If some of those are low, the issue is probably in the large square GI connector next to the transformer - check that to see if any pins look burnt.

#8496 2 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

All of the lower GI is controlled by pins 1 & 7 on J121. The easiest test is to swap plugs J120 and J121 (these are interchangeable).
If that doesn’t help, first check the J121 plug and see if it looks scorched.
If it looks ok, use you multimeter on J121 to test the voltage across pins 1 & 7 (set it to AC). If it is below 6V, test the voltage on each pin of J115 (put the black multimeter lead on the ground strap).
If some of those are low, the issue is probably in the large square GI connector next to the transformer - check that to see if any pins look burnt.

Thank you so much for the help. I’ll try this tonight

#8497 2 years ago

made a variation of turning the lights on the mini playfield when a ball enters, instead the backboard image goes from day to night , triggered by the flasher on the mini, it is not perfect as that flasher goes on at other moments too but most of the time the backboard effect is as intended.

#8498 2 years ago

Hi All,
Have any of you encountered these issues with the shadow. The game starts with multiple balls firing off from the auto plunger, and then the coin door message appears randomly during play. The f114 and f115 fuse message comes up. I have tested both fuses with a multimeter and they are fine.

Any ideas?

Stuart

20210510_065355 (resized).jpg20210510_065355 (resized).jpg20210510_071231 (resized).jpg20210510_071231 (resized).jpg
#8499 2 years ago

That’s probably your cap at C2 failed and took out your 12V section. Inspect that cap for leakage and use your DMM to check your 12v at TP1 and TP3.

#8500 2 years ago
Quoted from Stuieb84:

Hi All,
Have any of you encountered these issues with the shadow. The game starts with multiple balls firing off from the auto plunger, and then the coin door message appears randomly during play. The f114 and f115 fuse message comes up. I have tested both fuses with a multimeter and they are fine.
Any ideas?
Stuart

This will help give you some background on the issue and things to check

https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Check_fuses_F114_and_F115_message

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,927 posts in this topic. You are on page 170 of 219.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club/page/170 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.