IMG_0517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0701 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0513 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1404 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1405 (resized).JPEG
IMG_7706 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,927 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 219.
#751 10 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

Sorry for the late reply...I only check this post once a month or so. I re-decaled the head of my Shadow a while back. Nothing to it. The steps you have outlined pretty much sum it up. I made the mistake of thinking it would be easier to sand the original decals off. Big mistake...just made an unholy mess! I quickly realized it was easier just to peel them off with the assistance of a flexible scraper. I used goo-gone to remove the decal residue. You will find white primer under most of the original decal. I filled the scratches and what not with Durham's Rock Hard putty and sanded each side completely. Masked off the head and sprayed it with rattle cans. Follow the usual rattle can best practices (several light coats) and you will be all set to re-decal. Oh yeah, you will want to use semi gloss paint for the best factory match. I used Rustoleum Painter's Touch semi-gloss black.

Great Synopsis.

Thank you.

#752 10 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Great Synopsis.
Thank you.

No sweat! Forgot to mention that when I installed the new decals I was concerned about aligning them properly. On the first side I used painters masking tape (the blue crap) to try to get the top and back aligned properly but it just threw me off. I wound up just eyeballing it. I used the 2nd gen decals (pinballdecals.com...I think) and they were pretty forgiving when it came to re-positioning. Just use a light touch when you are first laying the decal down and trying to work out the position. I researched the wet method for decal application but it seemed like such a mess.

#753 10 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

No sweat! Forgot to mention that when I installed the new decals I was concerned about aligning them properly. On the first side I used painters masking tape (the blue crap) to try to get the top and back aligned properly but it just threw me off. I wound up just eyeballing it. I used the 2nd gen decals (pinballdecals.com...I think) and they were pretty forgiving when it came to re-positioning. Just use a light touch when you are first laying the decal down and trying to work out the position. I researched the wet method for decal application but it seemed like such a mess.

alittle soapy water and squeege makes alignment easy once in place work out the bubbles LOL

#754 10 years ago

No wet method here.

Did you prime the spot after sanding and before laying the decals on ?

#755 10 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

No wet method here.

i decal mucles cars and the wet method is the way to go

#756 10 years ago

Mixing water and wood just seems like a bad idea. Wish they made a full set of TS decals! I had a blast doing my first set and man, talk about a clean machine when you're done.

Jazzmaster, were the head decals cut the same as the original, or do they extend all the way out?

#757 10 years ago

note assistant does not need to be pregnant

#758 10 years ago

I used this guy's method. A bit of caution and no water between my decal and cabinet... came out looking great.

#759 10 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

I sanded the original paint off just down to the primer so I did not have to re-primer.

Quoted from MMP:

Mixing water and wood just seems like a bad idea. Wish they made a full set of TS decals! I had a blast doing my first set and man, talk about a clean machine when you're done.
Jazzmaster, were the head decals cut the same as the original, or do they extend all the way out?

I feel the same way about water and wood. I realize that there are several layers of primer and paint between the decal and the wood but still makes me nervous and, honestly, the direct apply method was not a big deal.

The head decals were not extended beyond the originals. Both were printed on a single sheet of white vinyl. Another thing to note is that they were not die-cut on the vinyl sheet. So, keep in mind that they do have to be trimmed by hand when you decide to install.

#760 10 years ago

Odd behavior from the kicker on the left under the left hand ramp. If I am in a multi ball game and a ball falls into that kicker it doesn't get release until the system goes though the 'lost ball routine'. Is this supposed to happen?

Also, I have balls getting stuck coming back down off the battle field. Looking at the kicker it appears to have a V shaped piece on the main shaft on the right to direct the balls back into play but not on the left. Should there be one there?

Thanks

#761 10 years ago
Quoted from charsiufan:

Odd behavior from the kicker on the left under the left hand ramp. If I am in a multi ball game and a ball falls into that kicker it doesn't get release until the system goes though the 'lost ball routine'. Is this supposed to happen?

So if you put a ball in there during multiball it stays in until all other balls have drained, and then it does a ball search?

Because it's supposed to stay in the saucer during multiball for a little bit, giving you double jackpots while it's in there.

1 week later
#762 10 years ago

Probably a silly question but does anyone know if it's possible to remove the Mongol figurines without taking apart the left ramp? From a quick glance at the near-left Mongol I thought I'd be able to just pop the figurines out quickly (planning to have them repainted) but as I look closer I didn't see a way to access the nuts on the underside of the plastics without removing the ramp. But I'm hoping I've missed something and someone can point me in an easier direction. Thanks!

#763 10 years ago

I am having problems with the magnet, it is grabbing the ball but it is not throwing it back into the sanctum.
Any ideas?

#764 10 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

I am having problems with the magnet, it is grabbing the ball but it is not throwing it back into the sanctum.
Any ideas?

The magnet will hold the ball for an extended period of time and then just let go, letting it roll down the playfield if there is a problem with the drop target or drop target switch. This is what I believe is a cause for excessive sanctum wear.

The drop target is raised by a lever system that gets worn at three different places. Thus causing the target not to raise all the way up and lock into place.

Is your drop target functioning properly? I mean does it stay up?

#765 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The magnet will hold the ball for an extended period of time and then just let go if there is a problem with the drop target. This is what I believe is a cause for excessive sanctum wear.
The drop target is raised by a lever system gets worn at three different places. Thus causing the target not to raise all the way up and lock into place.
Is your drop target functioning properly? I mean does it stay up?

The drop target is working fine.

#766 10 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

The drop target is working fine.

Does the magnet ever send the ball into the sanctum or is it random?

#767 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Does the magnet ever send the ball into the sanctum or is it random?

No the ball remains stuck on the magnet, if I give the game a nudge the ball will then move back down the pf.

#768 10 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

No the ball remains stuck on the magnet, if I give the game a nudge the ball will then move back down the pf.

If you have sanctum wear and there is a dip there then the ball cannot roll back to catch the magnet's second pulse which is what then sends the ball forward.

If your playfield is smooth there is an opto on both sides of the magnet that may be dirty or have a problem. I removed my magnet assembly today from underneath and cleaned the optos. I also repaired my drop target system that was causing the symptoms you describe. The drop target would not always stay up, and the closed switch on the bottom of the drop target put it into some kind of default mode causing similar to what you have. Mine works perfect once again.

#769 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If you have sanctum wear and there is a dip there then the ball cannot roll back to catch the magnet's second pulse which is what then sends the ball forward.
If your playfield is smooth there is an opto on both sides of the magnet that may be dirty or have a problem. I removed my magnet assembly today from underneath and cleaned the optos. I also repaired my drop target system that was causing the symptoms you describe. The drop target would not always stay up, and the closed switch on the bottom of the drop target put it into some kind of default mode causing similar to what you have. Mine works perfect once again.

Thanks very much for your help, I will give that a try.
Is it a big job?

#770 10 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

Thanks very much for your help, I will give that a try.
Is it a big job?

Nah.. you may want to take a close look at the drop target switch if everything else looks OK. They made it EZ by using connectors on both assemblies for simple removal.

#771 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Nah.. you may want to take a close look at the drop target switch if everything else looks OK. They made it EZ by using connectors on both assemblies for simple removal.</blockquote

Cool, we have a long week-end so I plan to have a good crack at it. Anything else I should be looking for with the drop target assembly besides from the switch?

#772 10 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

Anything else I should be looking for with the drop target assembly besides from the switch?

The three parts that wear are the pin that is attached to the coil plunger
44_001644_3.jpg44_001644_3.jpg-
the lever that pushes up on the drop target-
75_002775_3.jpg75_002775_3.jpg
and the bushing that is in the bracket-
97_002397_3.jpg97_002397_3.jpg
I already ordered new parts, but by flipping the coil plunger around and adding a couple of washers to keep it steady, it now rides on an un worn part of the pin , which is enough to take up the slack until the new parts arrive. It will probably work great for a long time this way.

These are pics of new parts. I thought about taking pics of the old worn ones, but I just wanted to get it back together and play some Shadow.

#773 10 years ago

Thanks for the photos mate.

#774 10 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

Thanks for the photos mate.

Stock photos from Pinball Spare Parts, Australia.

#775 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I already ordered new parts, but by flipping the coil plunger around and adding a couple of washers to keep it steady, it now rides on an un worn part of the pin , which is enough to take up the slack until the new parts arrive. It will probably work great for a long time this way.

Thanks for posting this.

I had been struggling with my wall target not staying up about 50% of each game. It would click up about 3-5 times simultaneously and then give up and stay down. After many adjustments to the spring tension, switch arm, changing the switch and adjusting it's position, etc., I was at a loss.

Then tonight I took it back apart and noticed the wear in the lever and bracket bushing, very sloppy. I did what you mentioned above and now it's 95% better. It did stay down twice in two practice games, but I'm sure that's because there's still a little slop there.

Time to order some parts. I checked Marco but they're out of stock on the bracket w/bushing, who else has these?

Thanks!

#776 10 years ago
Quoted from RonB:

Thanks for posting this.

Your welcome!

Quoted from RonB:

I checked Marco but they're out of stock on the bracket w/bushing, who else has these?

http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/parts-by-machine/bally-parts/the-shadow/a-18778.html

#777 10 years ago

This is a hard club to gain access to. I've been trying and trying, had the same game on my line twice just to have it spit the hook on me at the boat.

Anyone looking to get out of the club?

#778 10 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

Anyone looking to get out of the club?

You're kidding, right?
th-4-873.jpegth-4-873.jpeg

#779 10 years ago

I almost have enough people to do another run of alt Shadow translites and speaker panels. Trying to get a few more so I can make it happen for the people on my pre-order list. Might be the last one, I thought the previous run was going to be, always hard to know.

$175 shipped in the US (+$30 for international).

If there's anyone interested shoot me a PM.

shadow-package.jpgshadow-package.jpg

#780 10 years ago

Guys, I have a quick drop target question:

The target that blocks the VUK to the battlefield. When it's down, the ball will sometimes stop in the cutout. In other words, I think that when the target goes down, it goes down TOO far. It needs to be flush with the pf so the ball doesn't get caught.

Is the correct way to adjust this just a matter of that machine screw that points out at the bottom of the assembly? Just a matter of screwing it up a little? How do I get the drop target flush with the pf?

#781 10 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Is the correct way to adjust this just a matter of that machine screw that points out at the bottom of the assembly? Just a matter of screwing it up a little? How do I get the drop target flush with the pf?

That would be it. Adjust the stop screw.

#782 10 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

The target that blocks the VUK to the battlefield. When it's down, the ball will sometimes stop in the cutout. In other words, I think that when the target goes down, it goes down TOO far. It needs to be flush with the pf so the ball doesn't get caught.

I have this happen every once in a while, only if the ball is going really slow though. The ball search will pop the target and scoot the ball into the VUK, which I find kind of amusing, so I've never actually thought about if I could change it.

#783 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You're kidding, right?

Well, there's always a chance someone in the club has found a nicer example and wants to sell me their beater, right?

On a side note, I was talking to my non pinball playing father last night and he ended the conversation with "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!". I almost $hit my pants. I took it as a sign that i need to get the game. I have no idea what we were even talking about prior to that. lol.

#784 10 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

That is correct, you can adjust the screw at the bottom of the assembly, it still happens on mine every once in awhile, but pretty rare.

#785 10 years ago

Anybody ever noticed that after youve put over 2k plays on shadow, when you start the game, the sayings arent always said. Mine for example, for the longest time it just quit saying the two sayings when you start a game, it would literally just be the piano or a long laugh. I thought the sound roms were going bad, so i took em out and cleaned up one by one, and it didnt change anything. I had over 3k plays on it at the time, and I reset the cpu, and the sayings came back every game, however I just hit over 2k plays again, and they went back to not saying them everytime you play the game again, wierd I dont know.

#786 10 years ago
Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

Anybody ever noticed that after youve put over 2k plays on Shadow, when you start the game, the sayings arent always said. Mine for example, for the longest time it just quit saying the two sayings when you start a game, it would literally just be the piano or a long laugh. I thought the sound roms were going bad, so i took em out and cleaned up one by one, and it didnt change anything. I had over 3k plays on it at the time, and I reset the cpu, and the sayings came back every game, however I just hit over 2k plays again, and they went back to not saying them everytime you play the game again, wierd I dont know.

Maybe it is like a credit dot but a way to judge plays.

#788 10 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

Well, there's always a chance someone in the club has found a nicer example and wants to sell me their beater, right?

You might want to contact Troutfarm. He did mention selling his other one.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-nice-shadow-with-clear-coated-pf-no-sanctum-wear-4500

#789 10 years ago

Sorry to bump my own question, but thought it might have gone unnoticed with all the recent activity. Anyone who has removed (or installed) Mongol warriors have any thoughts on this?

Quoted from fosaisu:

Probably a silly question but does anyone know if it's possible to remove the Mongol figurines without taking apart the left ramp? From a quick glance at the near-left Mongol I thought I'd be able to just pop the figurines out quickly (planning to have them repainted) but as I look closer I didn't see a way to access the nuts on the underside of the plastics without removing the ramp. But I'm hoping I've missed something and someone can point me in an easier direction. Thanks!

#790 10 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Sorry to bump my own question, but thought it might have gone unnoticed with all the recent activity. Anyone who has removed (or installed) Mongol warriors have any thoughts on this?

I don't believe you can safely remove them without taking off the ramp, unless you want to bend the plastics up far enough to get an open-end wrench under there. Of course there's that chance the plastic could break, but they are fairly durable.

You only have to loosen the screws a little to slide the Mongol out, but the one on the left side of the ramp would be a real pita, if at all possible.

#791 10 years ago

Just wanted to share a few progress photos, as I'm nearing completion on this pita project.

Tonight's goal; Get new legs and mounting plates installed, got the back ones done anyway 'till the rum slowed me down. And before anyone says anything, I have soft foam strips running on the backside of the cab protectors so they don't dig into the decals.

IMG_0823.JPGIMG_0823.JPG IMG_0832.JPGIMG_0832.JPG

Here's a few overall pics for now, I'll post more when it's completely done and probably post a link to an album for those interested.

IMG_0826.JPGIMG_0826.JPG IMG_0829.JPGIMG_0829.JPG IMG_0831.JPGIMG_0831.JPG
#792 10 years ago

That's looking sweet! I also have the front 3 flashers purple, I have them lit with purple LEDs, really pops them the proper color. Nice pic of my translite too, it's hard to photograph. I'm gonna put it in my thread since I'm trying to get one or two more people.

#793 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That's looking sweet! I also have the front 3 flashers purple, I have them lit with purple LEDs, really pops them the proper color. Nice pic of my translite too, it's hard to photograph. I'm gonna put it in my thread since I'm trying to get one or two more people.

Thanks! I believe I got the idea from seeing your pics. I didn't know you could get purple flashers, I'll have to get some. I had the backboard domes also in purple, but they looked too washed out with led's and incandescent bulbs so I put the orange back on.

Your translite looks great, btw. I had to mess with the led's to get the look I wanted. I have 2 greens behind the "Shadow", maybe a bit too green, but of course it looks a lot better in person.

#794 9 years ago

For anyone that's done LEDs for the GI, I got 36 of the GI bulbs swapped without too much trouble by unscrewing each fixture from under the playfield. But there's one GI fixture burried under the right ramp that seems virtually inaccessible from under the playfield (at least with the standard harbor freight socket wrench or the various pliers I've got in my toolbox). Is there a secret to getting at that, maybe an alternate tool people have successfully used, or do I have to go at it from the top, removing the large brick plastic under the right ramp (which would appear to require removing the right Phurba and at least part of the ramp as well)? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

#795 9 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

For anyone that's done LEDs for the GI, I got 35 of the GI bulbs swapped without too much trouble by unscrewing each fixture from under the playfield. But there's one GI fixture burried under the right ramp that seems virtually inaccessible from under the playfield (at least with the standard harbor freight socket wrench or the various pliers I've got in my toolbox). Is there a secret to getting at that, maybe an alternate tool people have successfully used, or do I have to go at it from the top, removing the large brick plastic under the right ramp (which would appear to require removing the right Phurba and at least part of the ramp as well)? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

You mean the one remaining incandescent bulb in my game? That one?

#796 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You mean the one remaining incandescent bulb in my game? That one?

Yes, as I was cursing at it last night I thought I remembered reading a post of yours about the one bulb you weren't able to reach. Sorry to hear that I found it too!

#797 9 years ago

I can finally post in here, as my baby has arrived!!! Been a long time coming!!

#798 9 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

For anyone that's done LEDs for the GI, I got 36 of the GI bulbs swapped without too much trouble by unscrewing each fixture from under the playfield. But there's one GI fixture burried under the right ramp that seems virtually inaccessible from under the playfield (at least with the standard harbor freight socket wrench or the various pliers I've got in my toolbox). Is there a secret to getting at that, maybe an alternate tool people have successfully used, or do I have to go at it from the top, removing the large brick plastic under the right ramp (which would appear to require removing the right Phurba and at least part of the ramp as well)? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

To answer my own question, the GI bulb under the right ramp is replaceable using this "1/4 inch Drive Universal Joint" angle attachment for your socket wrench, $5 at Home Depot if you don't own one already:
Universal Joint.jpgUniversal Joint.jpg

This attachment was also handy in replacing the right ramp flasher (accessible but a real PITA to get out with a standard socket wrench).

It was still a bit of a hassle to get the screw out and then back in again after swapping in the LED, so if you don't already own this or a similar tool I would only recommend doing this if you're anal enough about this kind of thing that it's always going to bother you a little bit that you only converted 97% of your GI to LEDs. I'm that guy, so I'm glad I made found a suitable tool for the job and got that last LED installed.

#799 9 years ago

Got my shooter chromed and I replaced the beat up coin door.

chrome.JPGchrome.JPG
#800 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

So if you put a ball in there during multiball it stays in until all other balls have drained, and then it does a ball search?
Because it's supposed to stay in the saucer during multiball for a little bit, giving you double jackpots while it's in there.

Thanks Aurich. I'll have to investigate a bit more but I think you are on to something. My gate for the battlefield is stuck down due to a faulty switch (still still waiting for the replacement) and the ball always gets stuck on the battlefield kicker arm which I can't move as the battlefield isn't activated. Maybe that's the issue. Only just back from holiday so will investigate more this weekend.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,927 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 219.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club/page/16?hl=phesson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.