IMG_0517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0701 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0513 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1404 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1405 (resized).JPEG
IMG_7706 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,927 posts in this topic. You are on page 153 of 219.
#7601 3 years ago
Quoted from 500VDC:

I did check these things - no wiring in the way, and there is almost no rotation available with those two mounting locations. I tried to gently twist it, but afraid to break a weld. But it does look like I could add washers on the post toward the front of the machine, which tilts the assembly towards the rear. I may try that and if it does not interfere with the ball getting up there each time, that may work.

Yes to washers and possibly bend the part of the wire form in the back that is attached to the playfield up

#7602 3 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:
Hey Shadow owners - How many of us are playing with a stress cracked one of these (the Shadow mini playfield kicker guide)? Mine is broken on the thin side but the games still plays flawlessly. I have a spare that I paid a premium for but haven’t installed it since I’m not having issues. The part is very unobtainable now. Anybody have a fix for this?
[quoted image]

More
Maybe something Mantis might do...

If you can find at least 10 buyers, I'll ask him to make it. Shouldn't be an issue if there are enough that want it.

#7603 3 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

If you can find at least 10 buyers, I'll ask him to make it. Shouldn't be an issue if there are enough that want it.

I’ll get one

#7604 3 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

Almost everyone needs it. Most don't know they do. I'm down for an extra.

#7605 3 years ago

Almost everyone needs it. Most don't know they do. I'm down for an extra.

I’m down.

#7606 3 years ago

What is the best way to light up the battlefield. Spotlights? LED's? Where do you connect? Thanks

#7607 3 years ago
Quoted from 500VDC:

Curious if anyone can spot an obvious deformity with my Mini-Playfield Wire Ramp. I had the mini playfield out to do some servicing, but as I was testing it after reinstalling it, the ball was hitting the edge of the center right target on its way to the battlefield. The wireform mounting screws are tight, and I do see one weld has let loose, but it does not seem to be enough to cause the top to be that far off. I will be looking at that a bit more closely.
The mini playfield seems to be where it should be. The hinge screws are tight, and it is resting on the posts in the recesses correctly, and the hold down screw is in tight.
Seems like the ramp exit should be toward the rear about 1/2" or so. I have looked for photos of this area from other machines to compare with, but none are clear enough to see what is different, although I can see that the ramp exit should be centered in the opening intended for it!
[quoted image][quoted image]

The ball should hug the top of the tube on its way out, giving it more than enough space. Maybe the VUK coil sleeve or something is getting worn out. Uplaod a short video if possible.

#7608 3 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

I will take one also.

#7609 3 years ago

I’d be in for one....

#7610 3 years ago

Hi Club Members - I'm sourcing parts for my Shadow project restoration and although I have part of the Gun Assembly I'm still missing parts from it. Can I ask if anyone knows of any sources for this or have any spares that you let me know --- thanks.

#7611 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballer3:

Hi Club Members - I'm sourcing parts for my Shadow project restoration and although I have part of the Gun Assembly I'm still missing parts from it. Can I ask if anyone knows of any sources for this or have any spares that you let me know --- thanks.

Exactly which parts are you after? You can search the major suppliers around the world using https://www.pinballsearch.com/#gsc.tab=0

Shadow Gun Assembly (resized).JPGShadow Gun Assembly (resized).JPG

I like your avatar - they dominated on the weekend and will be interesting to see if they can bring that against Brisie

#7612 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballer3:

trigger, spring, and switch is usually available from Marco, the original gripes are probalby around since someone remade them in wood. what are you needing?

#7613 3 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

The ball should hug the top of the tube on its way out, giving it more than enough space. Maybe the VUK coil sleeve or something is getting worn out. Upload a short video if possible.

The VUK is really strong. The ball used to catch the back of that target every time.

I tried adding a couple of extra washers on one side, and it tightened up to be very solid. The ball now never seems to hit the back of that target (see photo below). We'll see how it does. So far, it works great. I will watch to see if the ball makes it our every time without falling back into the VUK.

I did take a quick video with the upkick in slow motion. It seems to go straight up, and then almost goes straight to the left, without riding the top rails all the way.

Matt

Screenshot_20201011-230130[1] (resized).pngScreenshot_20201011-230130[1] (resized).png
#7614 3 years ago
Quoted from Demoman1:

I will take one also.

Alright - I'll reach out to Kerry and see if he wants to get this made. He's on limited availability right now so might be a month or so for an answer. Will need either an original or exact measurements of it if anyone wants to DM me...

-G

UPDATE: Being MADE!

#7615 3 years ago

Hey Shadow owners - How many of us are playing with a stress cracked one of these (the Shadow mini playfield kicker guide)? Mine is broken on the thin side but the games still plays flawlessly. I have a spare that I paid a premium for but haven’t installed it since I’m not having issues. The part is very unobtainable now. Anybody have a fix for this?

Done. Mantis will have a replacement ready for purchase in the coming weeks.

#7616 3 years ago

I'm getting airballs off the yellow "N" and "G" targets next to the front left ramp that are jumping over the inlane/outlane. Any suggestions on what to do to fix this? Thanks.

#7617 3 years ago
Quoted from SaltyRunBack:

I'm getting airballs off the yellow "N" and "G" targets next to the front left ramp that are jumping over the inlane/outlane. Any suggestions on what to do to fix this? Thanks.

Common. Some have suggested bending the targets downwards but this did not work much for me. Others have replaced the foam target backing with something less bouncy like Titan rubber. That seems to work better.

#7618 3 years ago

Shoot better! Shadow WILL punish your missed shots. Its the charm of it.

Ive had Shadow over a year now and still havent even been IN the final battle. Loving this game. Glad I moved T2 to get this game, which was super boring by comparison.

#7619 3 years ago

Swap out the targets with the reinforced ones. They hold position much better.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-18530-6R

Also check out my low cost solution in post #6153. The air balls are gone after doing those two things.

#7620 3 years ago

Also check out my low cost solution in post #6153. The air balls are gone after doing those two things.

Thanks Mad Dog, much appreciated. I purchased from Marco along with the ramp covers. Any other suggestions for a new Shadow owner?

#7621 3 years ago

Thanks Mad Dog, much appreciated. I purchased from Marco along with the ramp covers. Any other suggestions for a new Shadow owner?

It’s a great game. Can’t believe it isn’t higher on the top 100 or demanding higher prices. Most of us blame the lame movie. How is your left ramp right switch treating you? Is it not registering or is the ball hanging up on the the switch actuator? That is a problem area on this game. Lots of work arounds but the very best one by far is the solution Pinsider Sonic came up with. It uses a magnetic switch to register the shot. Very slick. Hit him up if you need one. Well worth the money.

#7622 3 years ago

$14 a piece good lord!

#7623 3 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

$14 a piece good lord!

And worth every penny.

#7624 3 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

And worth every penny.

Ya? No bounces any more over the slings?

I had reinforced targets for my T2 from Pinball Resource.

PBR has the oblong targets for $9.59 it looks like, nice!

Here you go:

http://pbresource.com/pfswitch.htm

Marco marks up AND charges you so much for shipping. Stick with the little guys.

#7625 3 years ago

Ya? No bounces any more over the slings?
I had reinforced targets for my T2 from Pinball Resource.
PBR has the oblong targets for $9.59 it looks like, nice!
Here you go:
http://pbresource.com/pfswitch.htm
Marco marks up AND charges you so much for shipping. Stick with the little guys.

Good to know - thanks

#7626 3 years ago

Are we all in agreement that these are the best side blades? I like that they arent too busy.

Kind of pricey though, no?

https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/shadow-pinball-sideblades/

OOOooo...just found that tilt has them, and theyre even nicer. Sweet. Cheaper too!

https://www.tiltgraphicsinc.com/product-page/the-shadow-cityscape-gameblades

#7627 3 years ago

Are we all in agreement that these are the best side blades? I like that they arent too busy.

Those look the best but I would never install them for the simple reason the playfield is too tight. Stern made modern games so they could up-sell art blades. There is a little extra room to install them. In Bally machines, not so much. I think it would be ruined by lifting and lower the playfield. I could buy the protectors but now it is becoming actual work. For this reason none of my B/W games have them.

#7628 3 years ago

OOOooo...just found that tilt has them, and theyre even nicer. Sweet. Cheaper too!

They are not the same cityscape graphics, but I prefer the tiltgraphics, as indicated in your post. However, like Mad_Dog_Coin_Up said, it's a bit tight in The Shadow to have those placed in there. I guess, if you're extra careful. Myself, I think it clutters too much on the sides, but I'm a purist, lol, and it depends on people's taste!

20201015_124951 (resized).jpg20201015_124951 (resized).jpg
#7629 3 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Does anyone know where you can find backbox decals? My backbox is beyond saving, have a Scared Stiff backbox I will convert.

i got some, but you'll have to come by and pick them up!

#7630 3 years ago

I personally love the Tilt cityscape blades on my Shadow. It really adds to the feel of the game for me. Very consistent with the art and theme. Especially if you have the matching decal for the back of the cab. It’s true some pins have little room on the sides to accommodate blades without damaging them when raising/lowering the playfield. I do have the plastic removable protectors which work well. My Junkyard is so tight that I almost couldn’t physically fit the blade on the left side. It can be tricky. I’ve destroyed 3-4 sets of blades by catching the playfield on them. It’s a quick $85 down the terlet.

#7631 3 years ago

Those look the best but I would never install them for the simple reason the playfield is too tight. Stern made modern games so they could up-sell art blades. There is a little extra room to install them. In Bally machines, not so much. I think it would be ruined by lifting and lower the playfield. I could buy the protectors but now it is becoming actual work. For this reason none of my B/W games have them.

Quoted from Saltimbanco:

They are not the same cityscape graphics, but I prefer the tiltgraphics, as indicated in your post. However, like Mad_Dog_Coin_Up said, it's a bit tight in The Shadow to have those placed in there. I guess, if you're extra careful. Myself, I think it clutters too much on the sides, but I'm a purist, lol, and it depends on people's taste![quoted image]

Quoted from Pinkitten:

I personally love the Tilt cityscape blades on my Shadow. It really adds to the feel of the game for me. Very consistent with the art and theme. Especially if you have the matching decal for the back of the cab. It’s true some pins have little room on the sides to accommodate blades without damaging them when raising/lowering the playfield. I do have the plastic removable protectors which work well. My Junkyard is so tight that I almost couldn’t physically fit the blade on the left side. It can be tricky. I’ve destroyed 3-4 sets of blades by catching the playfield on them. It’s a quick $85 down the terlet.

Thanks for the input. Ya, I want to buy these PBL protectors too.

https://www.pinballlife.com/interior-cabinet-protector-blade-set.html

This is my plan. I have a buddy who scratched multiple blades. Even in his new stern. Its a common problem. I think as long as I am diligent about using the protector, I will be ok.

I think I might go with the art over the mirrors. The mirrors are super cool, but I think the city scape makes it feel more comic booky to me. Tilt+PBL Protectors is right in line with buying mirrors. Budget friendly too! I would need the protectors for the mirrors too right?

#7632 3 years ago

It’s a great game. Can’t believe it isn’t higher on the top 100 or demanding higher prices. Most of us blame the lame movie. How is your left ramp right switch treating you? Is it not registering or is the ball hanging up on the the switch actuator? That is a problem area on this game. Lots of work arounds but the very best one by far is the solution Pinsider Sonic came up with. It uses a magnetic switch to register the shot. Very slick. Hit him up if you need one. Well worth the money.

I received the reinforced targets....Are they easy to install? I will keep an eye on the switch actuator, are you referring to the one at the start of the the wireform across the middle? I know notice my ball flys off this ramp about 15% of the time, any suggestions on how to fix this? I appreciate the suggestions as it is going to take a little while to get this Shadow dialed in. This is my first used Pin and need to learn how to fix shit.

#7633 3 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

i got some, but you'll have to come by and pick them up!

And here I thought you were coming to visit me. Keep your lies straight, last time I am responding to you. Ignored.

On a lighter note, someone offered me some alternate artwork I might try out. Also thanks to the PBL sale I have new rails on the way.

#7634 3 years ago

Thanks for the input. Ya, I want to buy these PBL protectors too.
https://www.pinballlife.com/interior-cabinet-protector-blade-set.html
This is my plan. I have a buddy who scratched multiple blades. Even in his new stern. Its a common problem. I think as long as I am diligent about using the protector, I will be ok.

Why not put protective strips on the playfield sides instead of the mirrors? You can get UHMW tape to insert on the wooden and metal pieces of the playfield and it'll never scratch the blades. I have used this stuff to protect moving parts on restored machines and it works great.

#7635 3 years ago

I received the reinforced targets....Are they easy to install? I will keep an eye on the switch actuator, are you referring to the one at the start of the the wireform across the middle? I know notice my ball flys off this ramp about 15% of the time, any suggestions on how to fix this? I appreciate the suggestions as it is going to take a little while to get this Shadow dialed in. This is my first used Pin and need to learn how to fix shit.

Yep the reinforced targets are easy to install as they are a direct replacement for the existing targets. Note the orientation of the 2 wire colours on the existing target, desolder the 2 wires, remove the 2 screws that hold the target to the underside of the playfield and remove the old target. Then put the new reinforced target into place and attach with the 2 screws, resolder the 2 wires to their respective lugs on the target and your done.

As to ball flying off the ramp, does your machine have the clear plastic covers over the ramps (see the circled plastics in the pics)? Note the plastic on the left ramp is incorrectly installed upside down - it should go up to the lower edge of the diverter

TS ramp - left (resized).jpgTS ramp - left (resized).jpgTS ramp - right (resized).jpgTS ramp - right (resized).jpg
#7636 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Yep the reinforced targets are easy to install as they are a direct replacement for the existing targets. Note the orientation of the 2 wire colours on the existing target, desolder the 2 wires, remove the 2 screws that hold the target to the underside of the playfield and remove the old target. Then put the new reinforced target into place and attach with the 2 screws, resolder the 2 wires to their respective lugs on the target and your done.
As to ball flying off the ramp, does your machine have the clear plastic covers over the ramps (see the circled plastics in the pics)? Note the plastic on the left ramp is incorrectly installed upside down - it should go up to the lower edge of the diverter

That's a nice looking, well maintained playfield and game!! I swear you must be buffing those rings!! Lol good job!

#7637 3 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

In case anyone was on the fence on buying a sonic MRS switch. Do it.

I just installed mine and makes the game so much better... More than it has any right to. I didn't have problems with the ball getting stuck (as I previously had an extended switch), however getting a successful shot to register was such a crap shoot. When you have flow, are accurate and the ball was flying, it would often not trigger the switch due to speed.

Now with this MWS switch, it works flawlessly. It's so much better to hit a shot and everything works... Much better than having to check if it registered, and feeling relief if it did. No idea how long these will be available, but if you can get one, I strongly recommend.

If anyone still needs one of these I have one. Brand new, never used. $25 shipped. DM me.

#7638 3 years ago

Before I start digging into it, maybe someone can offer insight:

My Battlefield isn't working right. When active the kicker only kicks every second. No more, no less. Doesn't matter where the ball is. It was working on and off for a while, but now it's just stuck at this.

I wonder if it could be one of my optos. I'm new to the hobby so I don't know what it's supposed to look like. Is it shaped this way due to damage?

image1 (resized).jpegimage1 (resized).jpeg
#7639 3 years ago

I created this left hand ramp guard to keep the ramp from breaking apart. Up until that time I had ramp damage because of how hard the ball would hit - only the two screws supported it with the original ramp guard.

Using all four screws makes the assembly much more solid and provides support for the curved ramp. Reducing the stress keeps the sections together.
shadow_modified_ramp_guard-lh (resized).jpgshadow_modified_ramp_guard-lh (resized).jpg

#7640 3 years ago
Quoted from aFineMoose:

My Battlefield isn't working right. When active the kicker only kicks every second. No more, no less. Doesn't matter where the ball is. It was working on and off for a while, but now it's just stuck at this.
I wonder if it could be one of my optos. I'm new to the hobby so I don't know what it's supposed to look like. Is it shaped this way due to damage?
[quoted image]

That opto looks like somebody put shrink tubing on it to narrow the beam. Clean them with a q-tip and go in to the switch test with the glass off. Test to see if that opto is working correctly. If not, remove the tubing and try again. You might need to replace the optos if it still doesn't work right. If that is the case, I would just replace the pair. They are cheap and fairly easy to do.

#7641 3 years ago

Looks like it’s just a broken solder joint. Time to buy an iron. Thanks.

#7642 3 years ago
Quoted from aFineMoose:

[quoted image]

Do you have any pinstadiums or LED bulbs up by the battlefield?

#7643 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Loving the gold ramps mate, wish I did that to my mantis ones before installing

#7644 3 years ago
Quoted from Saltimbanco:

That's a nice looking, well maintained playfield and game!! I swear you must be buffing those rings!! Lol good job!

Quoted from allsportdvd:

Loving the gold ramps mate, wish I did that to my mantis ones before installing

Have to confess guys, that's unfortunately not my machine ... I just grabbed some pics out of this thread's gallery showing the ramp plastics in responding to SaltyRunBack post. They certainly do look pretty sweet

#7645 3 years ago

jonesjb Just factory lights for me. I'd love to get lights up in the Battlefield, though. Can't play without houselights at this point.

#7646 3 years ago

Got my new Battlefield shroud installed today. Man, did Chris at Hotrod Arcade knock this out of the park. Well worth the price of entry!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#7647 3 years ago
Quoted from aFineMoose:

jonesjb Just factory lights for me. I'd love to get lights up in the Battlefield, though. Can't play without houselights at this point.

Calling GRUMPY

Quoted from NPO:

Got my new Battlefield shroud installed today. Man, did Chris at Hotrod Arcade knock this out of the park. Well worth the price of entry!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice shroud! Definitely want the gfx not the mirrors after seeing them on a game finally.

#7648 3 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Haven't put mine on yet - if I remember, you gotta take the Battlefield off the hinge to get that screw on the left/back off? Is that what everyone's been doing?

#7649 3 years ago
Quoted from MG7322:

The only tricky one is the left rear. I lifted the mini playfield and used a small wrench and fingers to pull it out. Same on install with a shop rag below when you drop it putting in by hand. It’s tight.

#7650 3 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

Haven't put mine on yet - if I remember, you gotta take the Battlefield off the hinge to get that screw on the left/back off? Is that what everyone's been doing?

The above post right above mine is pretty spot on. For some reason, my Shadow's PF rails DO NOT make it all the way to the lockdown bracket, so my PF tends to "slide back in" and not rest on the PF lockdown bracket, making it an even more "oh crap" moment. The first three are easy with the mini-PF up. The back left one is a special kind of hell. I have a racheting crescent wrench, so it was bearable to get off. Getting that back on.... yeah, nope. Three is good enough. I have the shroud and the mini-PF's mounting hole lined up for whenever I am nuts enough to try again, but again, with my PF not being able to securely rest on the lockdown bracket.........nope. I tightened the other three real snug, and it ain't going anywhere!

Right after I did this, I made it to Final Battle!!! Was 9 shots away from completing it : (. But that was the first time I made it that far. What a rush!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
Boards
Slap Save Creations

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,927 posts in this topic. You are on page 153 of 219.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club/page/153?hl=hawknole and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.