IMG_0517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0701 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0513 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1404 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1405 (resized).JPEG
IMG_7706 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,927 posts in this topic. You are on page 146 of 219.
#7251 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Youd might as well order everything from comet since you are definitely going to want some purple passion leds in there

Well, i’m lost in all these différents leds available.
Just need to know what kind of leds to put in the backbox, for GI and for insert.
1 or 2 smd, frosted or not..

#7252 3 years ago

I have a very nice framed shadow poster FOR FREE , if anyone wants to pick it up . If you guys know anyone in Melbourne let them know .

IMG20200622000024 (resized).jpgIMG20200622000024 (resized).jpg
#7253 3 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Just need to know what kind of leds to put in the backbox, for GI and for insert.

1SMD, frosted, warm white. everywhere.

Won't see the warm white behind the backglass or underneath the inserts. warm white to me always looks better than cool white for GI.

YMMV.

#7254 3 years ago

This is a personal choice but for me it is always Comet brand these days. For all GI, white, yellow and orange inserts it is Sunlight frosted SMD2 LEDs. All other color inserts are matched to that color LED (still frosted SMD2). The only exception is the middle task inserts on Shadow. Those look great in purple.

20200110_112812 (resized).jpg20200110_112812 (resized).jpg

20200611_222841 (resized).jpg20200611_222841 (resized).jpg
#7255 3 years ago

So my sanctum works great for the first couple of games and then the magnet will catch the ball but ball doesn't roll backwards enough to trigger the other opto to work properly. I believe the balls may be getting magnetized is the issue. Has anyone had this issue and tried non magnetic balls for a fix?

#7256 3 years ago

Personal preference will make all the difference.
I recommend comet sunlight white. Frosted for GI and backbox, and clear for inserts.

Frosted diffuse light, so it isn't blinding in the GI and it gives even lighting to the backbox. Clear shines brighter light through the inserts making them pop more.

I like a brighter white, hence the sunlight.

#7257 3 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

So my sanctum works great for the first couple of games and then the magnet will catch the ball but ball doesn't roll backwards enough to trigger the other opto to work properly. I believe the balls may be getting magnetized is the issue. Has anyone had this issue and tried non magnetic balls for a fix?

I had a shadow that did this years ago. Easy test, get a thin plastic card. I membership card or something the size of a credit card. Tape it down over the sanctum, if everything works then it is your sanctum area that needs to be fixed. If the ball still sits there you have other issues.

#7258 3 years ago

Hi, all Just checking over my newly purchased Shadow and I noticed a few minor things that need attention my diverter seems to be at the wrong angle, maybe someone can check there's and let me know if I'm wrong. check out the pic and let me know what you think. thanks
Inked20200621_074500 (1)_LI (resized).jpgInked20200621_074500 (1)_LI (resized).jpg

#7259 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

I had a shadow that did this years ago. Easy test, get a thin plastic card. I membership card or something the size of a credit card. Tape it down over the sanctum, if everything works then it is your sanctum area that needs to be fixed. If the ball still sits there you have other issues.

It works just fine for a couple games so that tells me it's not the area. Only thing that makes sense to me is the balls getting magnetized as the game goes along. Other games that use magnets don't have a design to where the ball has to roll backwards in between magnet operations for the toy to work correctly. I've read plenty of posts where the sanctum area was repaired perfectly flat and they still had issues.

#7260 3 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

It works just fine for a couple games so that tells me it's not the area. Only thing that makes sense to me is the balls getting magnetized as the game goes along. Other games that use magnets don't have a design to where the ball has to roll backwards in between magnet operations for the toy to work correctly. I've read plenty of posts where the sanctum area was repaired perfectly flat and they still had issues.

Once the magnet releases does the ball just roll back down the playfield toward the flippers? Mine would do the same. Work sometimes and then stop. Almost like the area gets hot or something and the ball sits in a divot or something. I just printed up some sanctum covers on a clear plastic and it fixed the problem until I sold it.

#7261 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Once the magnet releases does the ball just roll back down the playfield toward the flippers? Mine would do the same. Work sometimes and then stop. Almost like the area gets hot or something and the ball sits in a divot or something. I just printed up some sanctum covers on a clear plastic and it fixed the problem until I sold it.

It will sometimes just stay there and sometimes roll down the playfield. There is a small divot that the previous owner covered with a sanctum overlay, just think it would not work from the beginning if the divot was the issue. What plastic did you use?

#7262 3 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

"Other" opto. There is only one. Once it triggers, the cpu does the rest. I believe the magnet holds it, lets it go for a split second, then pulses and thats what kicks it up and around. Magnetic balls are not good but dont think thats the problem.

#7263 3 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

"Other" opto. There is only one. Once it triggers, the cpu does the rest. I believe the magnet holds it, lets it go for a split second, then pulses and thats what kicks it up and around. Magnetic balls are not good but dont think thats the problem.

If there's only one then the ball must have to roll back far enough to clear the single opto for it to trigger the pulse I'm guessing.

#7264 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I have a very nice framed shadow poster FOR FREE , if anyone wants to pick it up . If you guys know anyone in Melbourne let them know .
[quoted image]

If you could post it up to Brisbane I’d pay postage if reasonable

#7265 3 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

It will sometimes just stay there and sometimes roll down the playfield. There is a small divot that the previous owner covered with a sanctum overlay, just think it would not work from the beginning if the divot was the issue. What plastic did you use?

that is exactly what mine did. Do you have a old credit card sized plastic card? or just use your drivers license. temporarily tape it down on the sanctum area just for testing.

your sanctum area will need to be fixed. this is a very common shadow problem. my buddies is currently doing it and he just taped a plastic card down so he could play it until he gets fixed.

#7266 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

that is exactly what mine did. Do you have a old credit card sized plastic card? or just use your drivers license. temporarily tape it down on the sanctum area just for testing.
your sanctum area will need to be fixed. this is a very common shadow problem. my buddies is currently doing it and he just taped a plastic card down so he could play it until he gets fixed.

Has anyone tried grafting a thin stainless steel sheet onto the playfield directly into the sanctum? Very thin, non-magnetic (sort of like the material used to make cliffys) and supported with epoxy, it could be the final word in playfield wear in that area. My machine has very little wear, so I'm not going to do this - yet - but up the road, it might be the answer. The magnet will still hold the ball since it would be thin, and it'd likely never wear out.

#7267 3 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

Has anyone tried grafting a thin stainless steel sheet onto the playfield directly into the sanctum? Very thin, non-magnetic (sort of like the material used to make cliffys) and supported with epoxy, it could be the final word in playfield wear in that area. My machine has very little wear, so I'm not going to do this - yet - but up the road, it might be the answer. The magnet will still hold the ball since it would be thin, and it'd likely never wear out.

I had some sanctum art printed on a thin clear plastic and used double sided sticky tape and it worked for years before I sold it. It looked better than the decal because I actually matched the grey on the playfield.

#7268 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Well if patching up that that area was a 100% fix for everyone then I would feel more comfortable spending the time to do it but have read in other threads that some people still have issues. Just doesn't make sense to me that it would work fine for a couple of games with the divot and then all of a sudden the divot is causing the problem. Maybe the plastic interrupts any magnetism of the balls if that is part of the problem. I have tried mylar but that is too flexible, any suggestions on a thin more rigid plastic with an adhesive backing?

#7269 3 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

any suggestions on a thin more rigid plastic with an adhesive backing?

You could try this product:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

That is what I use instead of mylar because if I mess it up, I can gently pull it off the playfield without risk of artwork damage.

#7270 3 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

You could try this product:
[quoted image]
That is what I use instead of mylar because if I mess it up, I can gently pull it off the playfield without risk of artwork damage.

might work, but from my experience in needs something a little thicker.

#7271 3 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

If you could post it up to Brisbane I’d pay postage if reasonable

Sorry mate , a local guy is going to pick it up . I'm not sure it would survive the trip up .
Thanks for the interest .
Cheers Rich .

#7272 3 years ago

Insanely long shot, but, I am going to start troubleshooting my Shadow -- the sound cuts out intermittently 100%. This mostly happens when multiball starts and then normally the sound comes back at the next ball. Anybody ever have a similar experience?

#7273 3 years ago

Finally got my backboard art on. Now I just need the side blades to match Dresses that area up nice.

50044952103_0d2b561c69_k (resized).jpg50044952103_0d2b561c69_k (resized).jpg50044952123_ad1ae99484_3k (resized).jpg50044952123_ad1ae99484_3k (resized).jpg50045517521_46d31cc06d_k (resized).jpg50045517521_46d31cc06d_k (resized).jpg
#7275 3 years ago

I'll test it on mine Chris if you still need a tester!

#7276 3 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

Insanely long shot, but, I am going to start troubleshooting my Shadow -- the sound cuts out intermittently 100%. This mostly happens when multiball starts and then normally the sound comes back at the next ball. Anybody ever have a similar experience?

Reseat all your IDC connectors and ribbon cables.

Report back if things improve or things stay the same.

#7277 3 years ago

Hello fellow Shadow owners! I've had my Shadow for about 8 months and I've had very few issues but recently I've had a problem with my sanctum magnet. After a few games of working fine, the magnet will hold the ball, the wall will drop but the ball won't whip through, it just hangs out for awhile and then drops. I'm pretty much a newb so feel free to point out the obvious if I'm missing something; is it a magnet thing, opto thing, switch thing, connection thing?

Thanks in advance for the help!

#7278 3 years ago
Quoted from SketchyMcDuff:

Hello fellow Shadow owners! I've had my Shadow for about 8 months and I've had very few issues but recently I've had a problem with my sanctum magnet. After a few games of working fine, the magnet will hold the ball, the wall will drop but the ball won't whip through, it just hangs out for awhile and then drops. I'm pretty much a newb so feel free to point out the obvious if I'm missing something; is it a magnet thing, opto thing, switch thing, connection thing?

Have a look at the ball lock and magnet section.
https://www.pinball.co.uk/pinball-problems/the-shadow-pinball-machine-repair-guide/

#7279 3 years ago

There are various things that can cause issues here as timing is critical
1. The drop target mech arm is worn and the target down switch is not registering in time, so the magnet drops the ball (as it doesn't want to throw it into the wall)
2. The drop target switch is bent or out of alignment and not registering in time, so the magnet drops the ball. Also check for cold solder joints on the switch & diode.
3. If the playfield has a divot at the sanctum, it can cause the ball to partially hang affecting the timing and game doesn't think the ball was caught by the magnet.
4. The opto needs cleaning and check alignment.
5. The lock switches aren't registering balls correctly and the game suspects an issue with the drop target/magnet

#7280 3 years ago

For what it's worth I just replaced my brick wall drop target switch. I was having an issue where the wall would not go down at all. That switch and entire mechanism is touchy for sure. I had that entire thing apart on the bench and went over every piece replaced the switches and installed a new brick wall drop target (mine was cracked as well where it mounts) cleaned it all up and it works absolutely perfect now. I also made sure it was perfectly level with the PF when down as mine was a touch high in the down position.

#7281 3 years ago

Awesome, thanks for the ideas guys, I’ll be taking a look this weekend!

#7282 3 years ago

Has anyone install flipper button protectors on their Shadow? Just wondering what may work given the double buttons on both sides. Thanks.

#7283 3 years ago
Quoted from PhillyArcade:

For what it's worth I just replaced my brick wall drop target switch. I was having an issue where the wall would not go down at all. That switch and entire mechanism is touchy for sure. I had that entire thing apart on the bench and went over every piece replaced the switches and installed a new brick wall drop target (mine was cracked as well where it mounts) cleaned it all up and it works absolutely perfect now. I also made sure it was perfectly level with the PF when down as mine was a touch high in the down position.

That mechanicism is problematic on mine. Bad design. Should have modified the design of a standard drop target mechanism or used an opto.

I would bet a shiny new dime that the problem is the wall switch as you say.

#7284 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Has anyone install flipper button protectors on their Shadow? Just wondering what may work given the double buttons on both sides. Thanks.

Check with HankScorpio - his Shadow had the protectors.

#7285 3 years ago

Finally got my backboard art on. Now I just need the side blades to match Dresses that area up nice. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Where you buy the backboard art? Looks good!

#7286 3 years ago

Hadn't played my Shadow in a while, and it turned on but didn't play last night.

Here's what I have:
GI is on.
Will start a game (without kicking out a ball)
Flippers work.
Sound works.
Board indicator LEDs seem correct.
No coils, game or test
No flashers, game or test
No controlled lights, game, test, or attract.
I get a single "bong" during startup, but the mini-playfield paddle does not move.

Things I have treid:
Factory reset
Reseated ribbon cables and power connections to MPU and driver board
All fuses checked with meter
Driver board TPs with meter. 50V is more like 70, everything else really close.

What next? MPU or driver problem?

Any help appreciated. Maybe The Shadow knows........

#7287 3 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I’ll be doing a reprint of my cityscape decal in a month or two when the lockdowns subside. PM me if interested.

I was wondering if there was a chance that this decal could be a plastic?
Sorry to ask, just not a big fan of inner sticker (background, blades...)

#7288 3 years ago

I was wondering if there was a chance that this decal could be a plastic?
Sorry to ask, just not a big fan of inner sticker (background, blades...)

there used to be one very similar that was on clear plastic. It was awesome and much easier to install.

#7289 3 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

That mechanicism is problematic on mine. Bad design. Should have modified the design of a standard drop target mechanism or used an opto.
I would bet a shiny new dime that the problem is the wall switch as you say.

For sure once I realised what was going on there with that mechanism I pulled it all out, cleaned, adjusted, and replaced everything then got the wall nice and level with the PF and (knock on wood) it's been fine since. Every pin has that one "shot" that seems to be easy to make and I think on Shadow the brick wall is that shot. It's also always a good "go to shot" as you can just hit the ball up the middle. When you have one of those easy to make shots, they take a beating that's for sure!

#7290 3 years ago

Got my new alt translite in today! Love it really makes the game. The original one is just eh...

50087234268_7b3264107a_3k (resized).jpg50087234268_7b3264107a_3k (resized).jpg50087805271_490ae8ac4f_3k (resized).jpg50087805271_490ae8ac4f_3k (resized).jpg50087805786_9272c8fda4_3k (resized).jpg50087805786_9272c8fda4_3k (resized).jpg50088041027_8b1b729aad_3k (resized).jpg50088041027_8b1b729aad_3k (resized).jpg
#7291 3 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Hadn't played my Shadow in a while, and it turned on but didn't play last night.
Here's what I have:
GI is on.
Will start a game (without kicking out a ball)
Flippers work.
Sound works.
Board indicator LEDs seem correct.
No coils, game or test
No flashers, game or test
No controlled lights, game, test, or attract.
I get a single "bong" during startup, but the mini-playfield paddle does not move.
Things I have treid:
Factory reset
Reseated ribbon cables and power connections to MPU and driver board
All fuses checked with meter
Driver board TPs with meter. 50V is more like 70, everything else really close.
What next? MPU or driver problem?
Any help appreciated. Maybe The Shadow knows........

Do you have an extra driverboard? Swap it out..

#7292 3 years ago

I just got my Aurich package too, and it came with custom rule cards. If anyone wants my old ones, let me know and I week send them to you.

20200708_094617 (resized).jpg20200708_094617 (resized).jpg
#7293 3 years ago

Same here, looks like we all did the same project today.

0625FE19-ECE4-40DB-A2D0-8C9B6121D492 (resized).jpeg0625FE19-ECE4-40DB-A2D0-8C9B6121D492 (resized).jpeg
#7294 3 years ago

Which of the Color DMD work best for Shadow. Tks

#7295 3 years ago
Quoted from Demoman1:

I'm interested in this as well.

I had an LED one in mine for a while, and took it out to put into another game. It was good, but I think the LCD might look better.
I do have an LCD one in another game, and have been thinking of switching it over.

#7296 3 years ago
Quoted from Demoman1:

I prefer the LED, colors match and no pixellation.

#7297 3 years ago
Quoted from Demoman1:

I like the LCD personally. I have the LED in my Monster Bash and Cirqus Voltaire and I'm not a fan at all. Anything is better then the orange factory one that's for sure!

#7298 3 years ago

I like the LCD personally. I have the LED in my Monster Bash and Cirqus Voltaire and I'm not a fan at all. Anything is better then the orange factory one that's for sure!

I took the LED one out of mine and installed the LCD version instead. I like it much better, but that's just my preference.
The LED version was brighter, so if that's important to you then you might like the LED.

#7299 3 years ago

ColorDMD LED.

#7300 3 years ago

You’re going to get both answers every time you ask whether LCD or LED is better. I own 1 LED and 11 LCD inc in the Shadow so I obviously like LCD better, you can have dots or hires. It’s always a personal choice

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

There are 10,927 posts in this topic. You are on page 146 of 219.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club/page/146?hl=hoopertriplett and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.