Quoted from Elicash:
Looks great! Is that a new playfield? How was the dimple and hole alignment? any specific issues with dialing it in for final playability?
I am thinking about buying a new pf
Glad you asked. DO NOT DO IT. It was a nightmare.
I've restored 5 games - all Williams/Bally. This game has the least "stuff" and yet took 4x longer than any other game I've done. Why? Because I used a CPR playfield. And the dimples are ALL wrong. OK let me be fair, 10% of the dimples were in the right place. The rest are either missing completely are off by as much as half an inch.
The through-holes on the top side were pretty good, I cannot recall any misalignments. But the clear coat that CPR uses is garbage. Put it this way, I've played 10 games on it so far since restore - using pristine Ball Baron Ninja balls - and yet most of the playfield is already scratched up and looks well-played.
Contrast this with the restores I've done...for example my TAF has 1,200 plays since restore and the playfield has far fewer scratches than the CPR Shadow with 10 plays on it. I use PPG auto clear coat. Whatever CPR uses ain't it.
Sorry to put a damper on your possible project, but if I can save someone the hassle, I want to do that. I don't know if there are NOS or other brand pfs out there for The Shadow, but I wouldn't use a CPR pf again if it was free.
The only "dial in" issues I had, were mostly Battlefield related. The hammer swiveled side to side when in motion (common issue). This is fixed by using pliers to carefully close the bracket/fork it sits in so that there is only enough room for it to settle on (in the center groove but not pushing through). Also had to fix the slow-dropping targets using a tip I got on here - car wax. Sped those babies right up. Oh, and one of the rails the hammer rides on - the one with the black bumpers on each end - one side was broken off, causing the hammer to sometimes come off track and not move. I don't know if you can buy this part (it's a tiny piece that screws into the rail) but I used a couple of lock-nuts and a screw to accomplish the goal....until I can find that piece.