IMG_0517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0701 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0513 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1404 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1405 (resized).JPEG
IMG_7706 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,927 posts in this topic. You are on page 123 of 219.
#6101 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I noticed that the woofer of my Shadow wasn't working so I decided to check the connections to the soundboard to make sure they were all connected properly. I decided to check some of the other connectors to make sure they were all in fully, and that's when things went wrong.
First, I turned on the game and the monitor wasn't working (just a scrambled green screen) and the game wouldn't turn on (to start a new game). I checked the connectors to the DMD and one had come loose. I turned the game on again and the DMD and sound are working but now all I am getting are these numerous errors. Also, I think one of the balls has disappeared (if that makes sense). I checked the balls and there were only four and I was getting a message that a ball is missing. So I put a 5th ball in but when I start the game, no ball is coming out into the shooter lane. There has never been an error about a ball missing so there must be a ball stuck in the game somewhere.
Here are the various error messages. Any idea what might be causing this? Could it be a blown fuse(s)? It seems odd all of these errors would start at the same time when the game was working perfectly (with the exception of the woofer). Thanks for the help!
TEST REPORT
CHECK SWITCH 48 SHOOTER
CHECK SWITCH 51 WALL TARGET DOWN
CHECK SWITCH 55 BATTLE TARGET DOWN
ER. WALL TGT. BAD CHK. SWITCH/COIL
ER. BAT. DROP BAD CHK. SWITCH/COIL

Also, the diverters and the flipper buttons are not working. Not sure if they are not activated until a ball is in the shooter lane? Thanks.

#6102 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Can you remove the other one?

Yes the other one comes out. I cannot budge the left one at all, struggling to know what to do!!??

#6103 4 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

Yes the other one comes out. I cannot budge the left one at all, struggling to know what to do!!??

It's not the easiest of area to work on and it may be simpler to pull the playfield out

Just double check that there are no screws (or remnants of screws) in the 2 holes on the crank arm collar. If there are and you can't get them out, you may be forced to drill them out. You can either tap the drilled holes for larger set screws or replace the crank arm https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/the-shadow/9332/crank-arm-assembly-for-the-shadow if need be

If there are no screws holding the shaft, take a look at where the diverter shaft goes into the crank arm, look for any signs of glue - this diverter is known to have issues regarding the screws holding the diverter in place (maybe an operator had had enough with it coming loose). If you can see residual glue then maybe some glue solvent may help??

Try to get some grips one on the shaft (maybe on the topside of the playfield) and one of the crank arm to apply more leverage to free it - this will also ensure that you are not putting any undue force on other components.

I see that replacement diverters are also available if you need to go down this path (although the spot welds aren't pretty) https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/the-shadow/9333/diverter-left-for-the-shadow-a-19638-1

Let us know how you get on

#6104 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I get a lot of airballs off the left ramp targets, is there a fix for this?

Apparently if you cut a section of flipper rubber and use it to replace the target foam it works great.
What jawjaw said is also true, if the switch is real beat up it's probably best to just replace it.
I'm a cheapo DIY-er and my switches are fine so that's the route I'm going to take.

#6105 4 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

Can you try twisting it, instead of just pulling it?

#6106 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Also, the diverters and the flipper buttons are not working. Not sure if they are not activated until a ball is in the shooter lane? Thanks.

You have a lot of different problems. I would focus on one thing at a time like the missing ball. Anytime you have issues it doesn't hurt to check all the fuses with a multimeter. Check all your board connections and make sure connectors are not off by one pin or loose. Flippers and diverters should work as soon as you start a game. However, voltage to coils is cut if coin door is open. Easy to forget that when working on bunch of different issues.

#6107 4 years ago

I installed a new rack and pinion kit on The Shadow. The set screw in the Marco kit protrudes out a bit and needs to be ground down for smooth operation. Pricey but seems to work fine. I did notice a crack in my slide bracket. How have others fixed this issue? I was thinking about just having my local body shop just doing a quick spot weld. Any thoughts?

19F01C79-3061-40F3-B4AF-86841D83F00C (resized).jpeg19F01C79-3061-40F3-B4AF-86841D83F00C (resized).jpeg
#6108 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Can you try twisting it, instead of just pulling it?

Yes I had the same thought as well. In re-reading dluth original post, the end of the diverter bracket has snapped off, so that bracket must have been under some considerable stress and this could possibly have caused damage to the crank arm or diverter shaft such that the diverter can't be easily removed. He also said that he removed the 2 set screws, but the diverter shaft is recessed where the screws hold it in place and I'm wondering whether the lip of the recess is jammed in the crank arm collar or the crank arm is twisted due to the broken bracket.

#6109 4 years ago

Anyone have Aurich’s translite they would sell? Or know someone w one? Thanks

#6110 4 years ago
DA6FAA6B-A7A5-4618-A5A1-F9174576F4F1 (resized).jpegDA6FAA6B-A7A5-4618-A5A1-F9174576F4F1 (resized).jpeg
#6111 4 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

So I need to replace my left diverter bracket as a bit at the end has snapped off.

Is it the bolts (number 6 in the below diagram) that attach the coil stop (number 5) to the bracket that have snapped off or have the bolts torn off some of the bracket as well? Possibly the nuts had become lose, creating more torque on the bolts when the plunger hit the coil stop - this would eventually fatigue them and snap them off, or if the end of the bracket was slightly brittle from hardening (due to those bolts being welded inplace) then it could have cracked and eventually snapped off with the coil stop still attached.

Would be interested in seeing a photo of it if you get a chance

diverter mech (resized).pngdiverter mech (resized).png
#6112 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

You have a lot of different problems. I would focus on one thing at a time like the missing ball. Anytime you have issues it doesn't hurt to check all the fuses with a multimeter. Check all your board connections and make sure connectors are not off by one pin or loose. Flippers and diverters should work as soon as you start a game. However, voltage to coils is cut if coin door is open. Easy to forget that when working on bunch of different issues.

Thanks for the response. I found the ball in the sanctum area. Must have been up there when I turned off the game initially. Surprised it didn’t get kicked out when I turned the game on? I will start with checking all the fuses for sure. Got a new error message about the gun trigger.

Does anyone know which fuse controls the ball ejection mechanism? Thanks for your help.

#6113 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks for the response. I found the ball in the sanctum area. Must have been up there when I turned off the game initially. Surprised it didn’t get kicked out when I turned the game on? I will start with checking all the fuses for sure. Got a new error message about the gun trigger.
Does anyone know which fuse controls the ball ejection mechanism? Thanks for your help.

Check the manual, I think it’s the back of section 2, might be F111/112 or one of the others on that bank.

#6114 4 years ago
Quoted from Johncare07:

Anyone have Aurich’s translite they would sell? Or know someone w one? Thanks

PM sent.

#6115 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Check the manual, I think it’s the back of section 2, might be F111/112 or one of the others on that bank.

Thanks for the help. Jim

#6117 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I checked the fuses this morning and you were spot on. F112 was not working. Unfortunately, it appears to be a unique fuse and the only 7A in the game. I will have to see if I can find another 7A in any of my other games to try. As the fuse blew, do you think there is a sort somewhere causing it to blow or is the best approach to swap it out and see if the game responds? Thanks for your help.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#6118 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

As the fuse blew, do you think there is a sort somewhere causing it to blow or is the best approach to swap it out and see if the game responds?

Could be either a problem, or just one of those things.
Try swapping in a new fuse and see if it blows quickly.
If you have 5 Amp on hand try one of those while you get some 7s. Don't put anything bigger in there (obviously).

#6119 4 years ago

can't wait, tie it in with the flashers and when multi ball hits it will be amazing

got to final battle last night, such a killer pin.

#6120 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

got to final battle last night, such a killer pin.

I got close the other night. Im worried once i hit the final battle ill be done with this game already. Hoping it takes me longer than a few months to get there.

#6121 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

I got close the other night. Im worried once i hit the final battle ill be done with this game already. Hoping it takes me longer than a few months to get there.

I have had several Shadows. I got to it several times on each one, except last night was my first time on my newer shadow. Clear coated playfield makes it crazy fast sometimes. This one is a keeper for me, it is just so good. It is difficult but not impossible and has tons of toys and shots.

#6122 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

I have had several Shadows. I got to it several times on each one, except last night was my first time on my newer shadow. Clear coated playfield makes it crazy fast sometimes. This one is a keeper for me, it is just so good. It is difficult but not impossible and has tons of toys and shots.

Id be interested to know how that shaker kit installs when you finally get one.

#6123 4 years ago

Would the Shaker kit be okay with the diverters and upper battlefield. I just wonder if the shaking can damage/loosen the components in the pin.

#6125 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Would the Shaker kit be okay with the diverters and upper battlefield. I just wonder if the shaking can damage/loosen the components in the pin.

I wondered about that too. This game seems very temperamental.

#6126 4 years ago

I wondered about that too. This game seems very temperamental.

LOL. yes, shadows are tempermental, but once dialed in they are fantastic. I used to hate lifting the playfield on my first one because something would stop working almost every time.

#6127 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

LOL. yes, shadows are tempermental, but once dialed in they are fantastic. I used to hate lifting the playfield on my first one because something would stop working almost every time.

Yes, but would adding vibrations have a negative impact?

#6128 4 years ago

For reference. If you get the following errors all of a sudden, check fuse 112. I replaced mine and all of the errors went away:

CHECK SWITCH 48 SHOOTER
CHECK SWITCH 51 WALL TARGET DOWN
CHECK SWITCH 55 BATTLE TARGET DOWN
ER. WALL TGT. BAD CHK. SWITCH/COIL
ER. BAT. DROP BAD CHK. SWITCH/COIL

#6129 4 years ago

Anyone have a guide or advice for wiring in LEDs into the ring lights? One of my 7268 bulb sockets is shot and a new bulb won't fix the problem.

#6130 4 years ago
Quoted from mikeflan:

Anyone have a guide or advice for wiring in LEDs into the ring lights? One of my 7268 bulb sockets is shot and a new bulb won't fix the problem.

Marco has replacement sockets if you want to keep them on all on bulbs https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/24-8856

#6131 4 years ago

anyone ever find a good sub for butt head fastner pair on the gun.
02-5041-15G
I typed in sex bolt and found these
ebay.com link: One Way Sex Bolt 10 24 Nut 1 Screw 3 4 SS18 8 10sets

at least I'll never forget what their called.

#6132 4 years ago
Quoted from mikeflan:

How is the socket shot? The socket itself is just a round plastic cylinder with two holes in it. If those tiny connectors on the black are still there you can do this..

20190728_013306 (resized).jpg20190728_013306 (resized).jpg
#6133 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

I bought a gold clear coat playfield and my machine is being serviced & playfield swap in 3 days. Can't wait to play it when I get it back.

#6134 4 years ago

I got to Final Battle on my 3rd night of ownership, and thought the same thing... possibly a bit on the easy side. Since then I’ve made Final Battle 2 more times, but it’s utterly kicked my ass in between. Best effort is 5 or 6 shots remaining in final battle but I’m enjoying it much more. It offers so much in the one pin and really fills a void in my lineup.

I have mine setup at around 7.5-7.75deg and boy it’s fast. If you find yours a little easy, ramp it up!!

#6135 4 years ago

Getting to Final Battle and beating it are two different challenges. I've gotten there many times but have only beaten it once. That's what keeps me coming back for more. If you find that you are getting there too often than setup your game to play more difficult.

There are so many challenges in this pin. The modes are no picnic to actually complete and getting the Super Jackpots in Shadow and Kahn MB is tough! I don't think I'll ever get bored with this pin

#6136 4 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

I got to Final Battle on my 3rd night of ownership, and thought the same thing... possibly a bit on the easy side. Since then I’ve made Final Battle 2 more times, but it’s utterly kicked my ass in between. Best effort is 5 or 6 shots remaining in final battle but I’m enjoying it much more. It offers so much in the one pin and really fills a void in my lineup.
I have mine setup at around 7.5-7.75deg and boy it’s fast. If you find yours a little easy, ramp it up!!

The key is keep shooting the saucers they will spot you a shot.

#6137 4 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Yep. Once you know this, its easier going. Dont freaking light khan. In fact just avoid it. Itll happen eventually.

#6138 4 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Which is the saucer shot??

#6139 4 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

Which is the saucer shot??

The Start Scene or Start Khan Multiball kick-out holes

#6140 4 years ago

Sorry Manny, been off pinside for a few days - here’s a pic.
I have tried twisting it, pulling it. I’m almost at the stage where the only option seems to be to cut the shaft somehow

Quoted from Manny65:

Is it the bolts (number 6 in the below diagram) that attach the coil stop (number 5) to the bracket that have snapped off or have the bolts torn off some of the bracket as well? Possibly the nuts had become lose, creating more torque on the bolts when the plunger hit the coil stop - this would eventually fatigue them and snap them off, or if the end of the bracket was slightly brittle from hardening (due to those bolts being welded inplace) then it could have cracked and eventually snapped off with the coil stop still attached.
Would be interested in seeing a photo of it if you get a chance[quoted image]

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#6141 4 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

Sorry Manny, been off pinside for a few days - here’s a pic.
I have tried twisting it, pulling it. I’m almost at the stage where the only option seems to be to cut the shaft somehow
[quoted image][quoted image]

I could just take it off your hands

The only other thing you could try would be to heat the crank arm to see if it'd help free it. Certainly an impressive failure of the bracket, that plunger must have been hitting the coil stop with some force - are the coils AE-25-1000 (based off the manual)?

#6142 4 years ago

If you get sick of it, sell it to me. I'll store in the garage as a spare.

#6143 4 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

Hit it with a heap of WD40/CRC and hit it dead in the end of the shaft with a centre punch and a hammer.

That’ll get the bugger out. Guarantee it.

rd

#6144 4 years ago

I know it’s somewhat off topic, but what do others think of the new Jurassic Park pin? I’m thinking of getting it to put next to my Shadow as my second pin. I previously had my deposit down for an Alien, but we know how that worked out. I think JP’s rules seem quite complex with different ways to approach the game; I really like Shadow for its non-linear path of how to approach, and balanced scoring.

#6145 4 years ago

Jurassic Park looks pretty cool I will not lie.

I'm not buying into all of the hype just yet but it's looking like its going to be a good one.

I'm still waiting to see what happens with GB code before I make any moves.

#6146 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Hit it with a heap of WD40/CRC and hit it dead in the end of the shaft with a centre punch and a hammer.
That’ll get the bugger out. Guarantee it.
rd

do this, get some penetrating oil or whatever and soak it and then use a punch to drive it out. One of mine got stuck one time. Don't be scared to get aggressive.

#6147 4 years ago

I agree. I personally would put a piece of metal of some sort (screw driver, nut driver, socket extension, etc) under the metal bracket first, but then yes, hit that shaft with a hammer.

#6148 4 years ago

I’ll give it a go...someone also suggested heating it with a small blowtorch to loosen any glue that might be there. But it sounds a bit risky... I think I’ll go the WD-40 and punch route first.

#6149 4 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

I’ll give it a go...someone also suggested heating it with a small blowtorch to loosen any glue that might be there. But it sounds a bit risky... I think I’ll go the WD-40 and punch route first.

As per above ... find a small open ended spanner and put it in the gap to support the bracket. That will take the impact from the punch and make sure the shaft is getting the movement. And minimise any bending on the bracket.

Then give it a whack.

rd

40947C1C-B857-4B42-B166-AED0EDE40684 (resized).jpeg40947C1C-B857-4B42-B166-AED0EDE40684 (resized).jpeg
#6150 4 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

You'd want to be very careful with a blowtorch - lots of things that could melt around there. I'd suggested heating but was thinking more of soldering iron with a heavy duty tip, as metal expands when heated and heating one bit (eg the crank arm) and not the other (the shaft) can help.

That said seeing the pics, Dave's idea of punch and hammer is the way to go.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

There are 10,927 posts in this topic. You are on page 123 of 219.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club/page/123?hl=stuieb84 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.