IMG_7706 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7705 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0617 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0618 (resized).jpeg
shadow-repairdone (resized).jpg
IMG_4396 (resized).jpeg
unnamed (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,922 posts in this topic. You are on page 121 of 219.
#6001 4 years ago
Quoted from toasterman04:

LED pop bumper caps, unsure which color to go with...
Shadow knows flipper tops, Who sells these?
Side blade artwork
Aurich Translite (already purchased)
New chrome gun - Where can you get these?
Walnut gun handle from art - Already purchased
Apron Magnet from Bill - Already purchased.

Go with invisible because this game has no pop bumpers lol

Flipper toppers are meh. Prefer white or black bats and purple rubber.

Side blade art I prefer the cityscape

Aurich trans...nice. I think theres another version in the works fyi....hope it turns out

I prefer black gun stock “marble” handles. Theme appropriate.

Apron magnet?? Did they make one for shadow??? Show us pics!!!

#6002 4 years ago

THIS!!!

Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Finally got around to shopping my Shadow pin. I made a custom apron magnet for it.
[quoted image]

[quoted image][quoted image]

#6003 4 years ago

wow this is a long thread. But I did, I finally joined the group. Mine arrives in a couple days and I am already compiling a list of mods I want. But unsure if I have missed any must haves...
Side blade artwork

Upgraded speakers are a good option. Recommend colour LCD display from colordmd.

#6004 4 years ago

post 2422 in this thread... dont know how to link it.

#6005 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

you will not need pop bumper LEDs

Ha! That went right past me.

#6006 4 years ago

wow this is a long thread. But I did, I finally joined the group. Mine arrives in a couple days and I am already compiling a list of mods I want. But unsure if I have missed any must haves...
Side blade artwork

Some people change the flasher bulb covers to purple. Sanctum wear-covering decal dot that's in the Pinside marketplace. Also, the back board cityscape decal from @jonesjb.

#6007 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Upgraded speakers are a good option. Recommend colour LCD display from colordmd.

No waaaaaay

LCD is the devil!

LED all the way. Preserve that pixel art goodness.

#6008 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

No waaaaaay
LCD is the devil!
LED all the way. Preserve that pixel art goodness.

LCD ColorDMD can do dots too...

#6009 4 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

LCD ColorDMD can do dots too...

I dont care for it. At all.

Its huge and cumbersome behind the speaker panel/backbox too.

I just dont care for it. Also LCD is old technology to me.

#6010 4 years ago

I dont care for it. At all.
Its huge and cumbersome behind the speaker panel/backbox too.
I just dont care for it. Also LCD is old technology to me.

Not to split hairs, but LED technology is older than LCD...

#6011 4 years ago

The only reason to use the LED ColorDMD is to fit it somewhere the LCD won't fit in my opinion. It just doesn't look that great in person, the dots are too small, the color blending is a little off, and it's overly piercing and bright to look at. It's nice that it exists, great for say Circus Voltaire, but not my first choice for sure. My games have all used LCD ColorDMDs.

#6012 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The only reason to use the LED ColorDMD is to fit it somewhere the LCD won't fit in my opinion. It just doesn't look that great in person, the dots are too small, the color blending is a little off, and it's overly piercing and bright to look at. It's nice that it exists, great for say Circus Voltaire, but not my first choice for sure. My games have all used LCD ColorDMDs.

I prefer LED because I find the resolution on the LCD is not high enough to look smooth. Now if there was a retina color LCD, that’d be a different story.

#6013 4 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

Not to split hairs, but LED technology is older than LCD...

Fair enough, but I got rid of all my old lcd tvs for led because they look better. Its really a preference thing. To each their own either way, I just never recommend the lcd.

I also think the lcd looks hacked and half ass with half of it not being used sticking up over the speaker panel.

I just prefer led. Maybe its because I build LED walls for work. I dunno.

#6014 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I prefer LED because I find the resolution on the LCD is not high enough to look smooth. Now if there was a retina color LCD, that’d be a different story.

Resolution is fine on LCD. Up scaling is done by software and detail is going to be very limited based on the input that is only 192x64. You can displays dots exactly the same as LED panel or original dmd. That's the advantage of the LCD display - you have a variety of display modes. I also don't get the criticism of the LCD not fitting perfectly in the speaker panel. It fits fine and displays perfectly. Only problem would be games where the LCD does not fit like CV or games that have lighted inserts on speaker panel like TAF. It should only come down to which one looks better to you.

#6015 4 years ago

Can anyone share a video of Both, on a Shadow? I cant say Ive seen them side by side.....

#6016 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Resolution is fine on LCD. Up scaling is done by software and detail is going to be very limited based on the input that is only 192x64. You can displays dots exactly the same as LED panel or original dmd. That's the advantage of the LCD display - you have a variety of display modes. I also don't get the criticism of the LCD not fitting perfectly in the speaker panel. It fits fine and displays perfectly. Only problem would be games where the LCD does not fit like CV or games that have lighted inserts on speaker panel like TAF. It should only come down to which one looks better to you.

It’s the resolution of the dot I’m referring to... on a LED a dot is perfectly round, but with LCD the dot is still round but less crisp, due to pixelation. It’s not obvious, but enough that I notice a difference.

#6017 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

It’s the resolution of the dot I’m referring to... on a LED a dot is perfectly round, but with LCD the dot is still round but less crisp, due to pixelation. It’s not obvious, but enough that I notice a difference.

This. Also the smoothing and other modes lose details and look like poopy to me. I never like that sigma look or whatever that is.

#6018 4 years ago

I have both myself and they both look way better than an old single color display.

My rule of thumb tho is LED for price, fitment and “dot authenticity” since I never run the smoothing modes anyways.

#6019 4 years ago

I don't think anyone will change their opinion with the LCD vs LED debate but I sent my LED back because it was too bright and it gave me a headache even at lower brightness. In my opinion the colors were too harsh and didn't blend well with the translite and backglass.

The smoothing and resolutions are fine to me with the LCD, it's not like I'm watching a high def movie on the thing. Sure, the fit isn't perfect like the LED but no one sees that anyway and with the LCD there is no white light glare on the top row of lights like you get on the LED. The LCD is only $20 more and has multiple features not found on the LED model.

I've posted photos of both in earlier threads of how they looked but it's difficult to show the true colors in pictures. Bottom line, there is no right answer and I'm not trying to sway opinions one way or the other, everyone will have to make up their own mind but either way it's a great mod.

#6020 4 years ago

Pixel peepers gotta keep on peepin'. You're standing 4 feet back from the LCD while playing a game that requires you to mostly look downward, and you're complaining that the dots are too pixelated? The LCD is 10x better than the old orange DMDs, and I find it much better than the LEDs due to brightness and excessive saturation. Atari 2600 FTW!

#6021 4 years ago

I like the original orange DMD. Would rather have a sheet of PDI glass on my game instead of colordmd.

#6022 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Pixel peepers gotta keep on peepin'. You're standing 4 feet back from the LCD while playing a game that requires you to mostly look downward, and you're complaining that the dots are too pixelated? The LCD is 10x better than the old orange DMDs, and I find it much better than the LEDs due to brightness and excessive saturation. Atari 2600 FTW!

Not complaining per se, just explaining why I prefer LED to LCD. Yes both are much better than the orange LEDs.

I’m picky about pixels I guess. I suppose others are picky about different things, like saturation and brightness

#6023 4 years ago

Thanks to Twister I have my Shadow Battlefield plastic mod! The black chrome looks nice and even though it’s a tighter fit than the original it’s much more attractive

598C56E5-23BC-4EBB-81CD-38C358EF70C6 (resized).jpeg598C56E5-23BC-4EBB-81CD-38C358EF70C6 (resized).jpeg7D8A696F-C3D7-4350-9871-F685420704C6 (resized).jpeg7D8A696F-C3D7-4350-9871-F685420704C6 (resized).jpegB944393D-36CB-4B8A-8CA8-7F0322D90344 (resized).jpegB944393D-36CB-4B8A-8CA8-7F0322D90344 (resized).jpeg
#6024 4 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

I don't think anyone will change their opinion with the LCD vs LED debate but I sent my LED back because it was too bright and it gave me a headache even at lower brightness. In my opinion the colors were too harsh and didn't blend well with the translite and backglass.
The smoothing and resolutions are fine to me with the LCD, it's not like I'm watching a high def movie on the thing. Sure, the fit isn't perfect like the LED but no one sees that anyway and with the LCD there is no white light glare on the top row of lights like you get on the LED. The LCD is only $20 more and has multiple features not found on the LED model.
I've posted photos of both in earlier threads of how they looked but it's difficult to show the true colors in pictures. Bottom line, there is no right answer and I'm not trying to sway opinions one way or the other, everyone will have to make up their own mind but either way it's a great mod.

Yeah, I have some of both and I still prefer the higher contrast of the LED as the black is black and I like that.

#6025 4 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Thanks to twister I have my Shadow Battlefield plastic mod! The black chrome looks nice and even though it’s a tighter fit than the original it’s much more attractive[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That looks great!

#6026 4 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Thanks to twister I have my Shadow Battlefield plastic mod! The black chrome looks nice and even though it’s a tighter fit than the original it’s much more attractive[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That's Beautiful! Makes me sad that I missed out on this mod...

#6027 4 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

That's Beautiful! Makes me sad that I missed out on this mod...

Me too. Bummer!!!!!!

#6028 4 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Damn, that looks smooth and deadly. A huge upgrade for sure.

#6029 4 years ago

Ya super nice.... and they are no longer available? Too bad ... i would be interested too

#6030 4 years ago

Let’s cross our fingers that he does another run....

#6031 4 years ago

Hi,

Thanks for you feedback Terry. I'm happy you like it.

I have received many messages. Terry got one of the 4 prototypes. The first order is not yet completed, I'm still waiting for 24 parts of the chrome plating. Unfortunately, the chrome takes a little longer. It is not made commercially, a friend does that after work in his spare time. I wait daily for the parts.
Since I have received so many requests now, I will try to make a 2nd order, and looking for a different provider for the chrome plating. Or another surface, maybe a black slc coating.

Sascha

#6032 4 years ago
Quoted from Twister:

Hi,
I have received many messages. Terry got one of the 4 prototypes. The first order is not yet completed, I'm still waiting for 24 parts of the chrome plating. Unfortunately, the chrome takes a little longer. It is not made commercially, a friend does that after work in his spare time. I wait daily for the parts.
Since I have received so many requests now, I will try to make a 2nd order, and looking for a different provider for the chrome plating. Or another surface, maybe a black slc coating.
Sascha

Id love to be on list as well. Looks amazing!

#6033 4 years ago

Great job, Twister! Looks amazing installed.

#6034 4 years ago

Me too on @twister's mod... would love one. Looks great!

#6035 4 years ago

Put me on the list as tentative

#6036 4 years ago
Quoted from Twister:

Hi,
Sascha

is it still plastic or is this metal?

#6037 4 years ago

It is 1.5mm stainless steel.

If first run is completed, I open a list for the second run.
As I told before, I start the list in german forum. So at the moment, I don't know if everyone from the german list will have it, also can't say how many from first run I can sell here on pinside.

#6038 4 years ago

Just got my shadow
has anyone experienced switches going off battlefield when it's moving back and forth? looks like 2 switches are being pushed?

#6039 4 years ago
Quoted from Twister:

It is 1.5mm stainless steel.
If first run is completed, I ioen a list for the second run.
As I told before, I start the list in german forum. So at the moment, I don't know if everyone from the german list will have it, also can't say how many from first run I can sell here on pinside.

OK, I want on the list. If you need some plating help over in the states give me a shout. I used to offer plating services.

#6040 4 years ago

I hope I’m still on your list @twister

#6041 4 years ago
Quoted from flipordie:

Just got my shadow
has anyone experienced switches going off battlefield when it's moving back and forth? looks like 2 switches are being pushed?

Check here, https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shadow-battle-field-issue

#6042 4 years ago
Quoted from flipordie:

Just got my shadow

Those two switches are the optos.. telling the paddle to stop at the end of the rack .

#6043 4 years ago

Right! I had a few PMs a few weeks back about how I was going to fix my lower right ramp switch so it actually registers EVERY time the ball is shot up there. You may remember I shot a video showing the ball jumping the standard switch.

So let’s make one!

This has been done many times before ... it’s the best way to go IMO.

I made mine out of 3mm high impact acrylic. But you could use aluminium or metal.

I machined the acrylic down to approx 100mm long x 30mm wide.

665B7D6A-0139-46D7-BEEF-C49C686FA69C (resized).jpeg665B7D6A-0139-46D7-BEEF-C49C686FA69C (resized).jpeg

I marked out where the vertical support was on the wire form, and filed out a small groove to fit around it.

FF4CAAC4-79A1-46BE-BDD5-1BBB95CC2DB4 (resized).jpegFF4CAAC4-79A1-46BE-BDD5-1BBB95CC2DB4 (resized).jpeg

I drilled the holes for the switch and mounted it to the acrylic. I just used the long lever switch that I had on the machine, but the standard switch would also work fine. I used the standard switch screws and mounting plate.

At the other end, I used 2x machine screws, washers and lock nuts. I had to drill out the mount a little as these were the smallest screws I had on hand. Smaller diameter machine screws/bolts would be better.

I bent the switch lever to suit, so it always registers, but a slow ball doesn’t get stalled on it.

Works like a champion. Registers every single time. SUPER VENGEANCE!

rd

5BF0DF95-E680-42F3-9767-E3C9F3131F10 (resized).jpeg5BF0DF95-E680-42F3-9767-E3C9F3131F10 (resized).jpeg

#6044 4 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Those two switches are the optos.. telling the paddle to stop at the end of the rack .

Pretty sure they tell the paddle when the ball has broken the optic beam and engages the paddle.

#6045 4 years ago

Sweet!! I’ll add this to my To Do List

Nice one Dave.

#6046 4 years ago

@rotordave nice fix.

Hows it do with the reverse rollers? Looks like it sticks out real far and might hold them up.

#6047 4 years ago

@rotordave nice fix.
Hows it do with the reverse rollers?

What’s a reverse roller?

A ball going backwards up the wireform?

rd

#6048 4 years ago

Powder coat came back today. We are very happy with the look especially with the alt translite

5A7D8503-7988-4E03-9F42-FFACB30EC8E4 (resized).jpeg5A7D8503-7988-4E03-9F42-FFACB30EC8E4 (resized).jpegC4544C7F-B6D6-4237-87C9-7554DB57960A (resized).jpegC4544C7F-B6D6-4237-87C9-7554DB57960A (resized).jpeg
#6049 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

What’s a reverse roller?
A ball going backwards up the wireform?
rd

Ya. Ive noticed some times if I shoot that shot slow enough itll come back down the wireform. Wondering if the switch will allow it to come back or if it hangs up.

Looking at it closer though, that switch position is in a spot where it shouldnt be rolling back. Nevermind. Disregard.

When you gonna sell this mod? Lol

#6050 4 years ago

Ya. Ive noticed some times if I shoot that shot slow enough itll come back down the wireform. Wondering if the switch will allow it to come back or if it hangs up.
Looking at it closer though, that switch position is in a spot where it shouldnt be rolling back. Nevermind. Disregard.
When you gonna sell this mod? Lol

I’d suggest pitch is wrong or ramp isn’t installed right ... no balls going backwards on my machine or any Shadow I’ve ever played.

Occasionally one will go a bit slower down the ramp, from a slow shot up the ramp, or a rattle around, you do have to make sure that the switch will allow those slower balls to pass. Taking off the glass all the time sucks.

rd

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits
Electronics
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.
Interactive
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus
Shooter rods
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations
Other
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
7,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,922 posts in this topic. You are on page 121 of 219.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club/page/121 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.