IMG_0517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0701 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0513 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1404 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1405 (resized).JPEG
IMG_7706 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,927 posts in this topic. You are on page 120 of 219.
#5951 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Ended up just being an exhausted spring. I cut it down shorter and its working great now. I guess flipper rebuilds should be on my list....game shoots fine though. I even get air balls off the G target next to the left ramp. Some times right down the left outlane....grrrr

Glad you got the flippers worked out. Might be a good idea to just rebuild flippers. I'm starting to do that on all games I get. Good to make sure right parts are installed and everything setup correctly. Make sure to replace the bushings when you do a rebuild. They are not included in the kits.

Air balls off the left ramp targets are common. They take a pounding and the metal backside gets bent back. This is what causes balls to ramp off. You can try to bend it straighted and put extra padding behind the target or get the reinforced targets. Balls were flying over the flippers on my game but these targets fixed it. Busted the corner off one of them a little while ago and need a new one myself.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-18530-6R

#5952 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Glad you got the flippers worked out. Might be a good idea to just rebuild flippers. I'm starting to do that on all games I get. Good to make sure right parts are installed and everything setup correctly. Make sure to replace the bushings when you do a rebuild. They are not included in the kits.
Air balls off the left ramp targets are common. They take a pounding and the metal backside gets bent back. This is what causes balls to ramp off. You can try to bend it straighted and put extra padding behind the target or get the reinforced targets. Balls were flying over the flippers on my game but these targets fixed it. Busted the corner off one of them a little while ago and need a new one myself.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-18530-6R

Ya...I should do it. Maybe this fall. Color dmd in the mail....I couldnt resist. I need to stop....

#5953 4 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

Looks great! Is that the walnut?

I don’t remember

#5954 4 years ago

When I make a left loop shot it drains if I don't hit it with the (lower) right flipper.
Which flipper should it be feeding to?
My upper flipper is just a couple millimeters away from the ball guide behind it. It's fairly difficult to get the saucer or loop shot with it.
Perhaps re-level?

#5955 4 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

When I make a left loop shot it drains if I don't hit it with the (lower) right flipper.
Which flipper should it be feeding to?
My upper flipper is just a couple millimeters away from the ball guide behind it. It's fairly difficult to get the saucer or loop shot with it.
Perhaps re-level?

Ya something is not right. I can make that left loop to upper loop shot so smooth. Makes me love this machine. Im up to a 4-way combo now. Wonder what the max combo is...

#5956 4 years ago

aaaaand Ive lost my flashers. Some time last night they stopped working. I didnt have a bunch of time to dig into it, but I concluded J111 fuse was good, so I am hoping its my interlock switch and not this hacky repair I found on the board...
IMG_2995 (resized).jpgIMG_2995 (resized).jpg

#5957 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

aaaaand Ive lost my flashers. Some time last night they stopped working. I didnt have a bunch of time to dig into it, but I concluded J111 fuse was good, so I am hoping its my interlock switch and not this hacky repair I found on the board...
[quoted image]

Looks like a 1 watt resistor instead of a 1/4 watt (or whatever is supposed to go in). if the resistor value is correct, it may not be an issue, just ugly.

#5958 4 years ago

Just recieved the backboard decals I ordered from jonesjb and they're looking great!
Can't wait to install them.

Thanks again Jeff

20190703_163848 (resized).jpg20190703_163848 (resized).jpg20190703_165320 (resized).jpg20190703_165320 (resized).jpg
#5959 4 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Just recieved the backboard decals I ordered from jonesjb and they're looking great!
Can't wait to install them.
Thanks again Jeff [quoted image][quoted image]

There used to be a guy on pinside selling this image but it was printed on plastic. I had it on one of my old shadows and you could have a led strip shine down through it and light it up. Was pretty cool. I prefer the brick wall decal, but still looks great.

#5960 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

There used to be a guy on pinside selling this image but it was printed on plastic. I had it on one of my old shadows and you could have a led strip shine down through it and light it up. Was pretty cool. I prefer the brick wall decal, but still looks great.

I think the brick wall makes that whole area WAAAAAY too red. I thought I would like it, but after seeing a bunch of games with it, I went with the city. Ties the game together better imo.

#5961 4 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

Looks like a 1 watt resistor instead of a 1/4 watt (or whatever is supposed to go in). if the resistor value is correct, it may not be an issue, just ugly.

Plus, the resistor above that one appears to be the wrong value. All others in that area are 2.7k ohms. That one is a 2.2k ohm, a difference of 500 ohms.

#5962 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

It’s not this image. Perhaps similar in style (matching the shadow art style), but I created mine from scratch in illustrator, inspired by some buildings in NYC around Central Park.

#5963 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

It’s not this image. Perhaps similar in style (matching the shadow art style), but I created mine from scratch in illustrator, inspired by some buildings in NYC around Central Park.

I wish I still had a picture. It is almost dang identical, but was printed on like 1/8th thick plastic. You should look into it, was easier to install and the lighting effect was cool.

#5964 4 years ago

Having an issue with my game. When the ball leaves the battlefield, the kicker is still moving with the flippers. It's like the game doesn't know the ball has exited. Is there a switch or opto somewhere to check this?

It is throwing the error ER battle kicker opto. Not sure where that is.

#5965 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Having an issue with my game. When the ball leaves the battlefield, the kicker is still moving with the flippers. It's like the game doesn't know the ball has exited. Is there a switch or opto somewhere to check this?

Is it kicking as well?

#5966 4 years ago

I don’t think the game really knows you're off the Battleground until you hit a switch on the lower PF.

#5967 4 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Is it kicking as well?

At times it's kicking..other times just moving back and forth.

I will say this happened right after I put warm white LEDs in the game..is it possible there is too much light in the area around the battle playfield?

Edit: put incandescent back in, no change.

Quoted from gunstarhero:

I don’t think the game really knows you're off the Battleground until you hit a switch on the lower PF.

All switches register in game mode.

The optos on the top of the pf I believe don't have anything to do with the issue as they just tell the kicker to kick when the ball breaks that beam.

#5968 4 years ago

My new Shadow arrived today. It's in good shape but dirty with a couple broken wires and plastics. After a couple hours I got it looking like this. Almost no wear in the Sanctum area.

20190703_160817 (resized).jpg20190703_160817 (resized).jpg20190703_160831 (resized).jpg20190703_160831 (resized).jpg
#5969 4 years ago

I do have a bunch of mystery parts floating around in the cabinet. I might play a game of "where does this go? "with you fellas later.

#5970 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

At times it's kicking..other times just moving back and forth.
I will say this happened right after I put warm white LEDs in the game..is it possible there is too much light in the area around the battle playfield?
Edit: put incandescent back in, no change.

All switches register in game mode.
The optos on the top of the pf I believe don't have anything to do with the issue as they just tell the kicker to kick when the ball breaks that beam.

Check the wires to the long opto across the battleground, I bet ones loose.

#5971 4 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Check the wires to the long opto across the battleground, I bet ones loose.

You mean the ones on the top of the battlefield to the right and left of the yellow kicker? I'll check, but Not sure why that would cause the kicker to remain active with the flipper buttons when the ball leaves the playfield.

#5972 4 years ago

The fact that it’s kicking once in a while makes me suspect it could be maybe an intermittent connection. As far as I know the kicker only kicks when the beam breaks.

#5973 4 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

The fact that it’s kicking once in a while makes me suspect it could be maybe an intermittent connection. As far as I know the kicker only kicks when the beam breaks.

Makes sense. Bigger issue is why the game thinks a ball is still on the battlefield when it's not. I'm not understanding the logic of the game and what causes the game know the ball has left the battlefield.

#5974 4 years ago

Maybe a combination of a beam break and then a lower PF switch hit?

I’ve just noticed if you bomb a battlefield round you don’t get the “flippers, use the flippers” call until you hit a switch.

I could be wrong but that’s my guess.

#5975 4 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Plus, the resistor above that one appears to be the wrong value. All others in that area are 2.7k ohms. That one is a 2.2k ohm, a difference of 500 ohms.

J111 was actually blown I replaced and the game blew it again on power up. Bought a 5amp button breaker to trouble shoot without blowing through a bunch of fuses. Will go back at it when it arrives.

429E1DDE-7D09-4AF7-B85B-6EDE4608F923 (resized).jpeg429E1DDE-7D09-4AF7-B85B-6EDE4608F923 (resized).jpeg
#5976 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

It is throwing the error ER battle kicker opto. Not sure where that is.

It is your battlefield optos. When the ball completely breaks the beam the kicker resets and battlefield closes down. Has nothing to do with lower playfield switches.

On a side note: the first shadow I ever had started having problems when i did a full led job. Did you put all LEDs in the backbox behind trans light? The light was interfering with my battlefield optos. I took out half the blackbox LEDs and it fixed it.

#5977 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Makes sense. Bigger issue is why the game thinks a ball is still on the battlefield when it's not. I'm not understanding the logic of the game and what causes the game know the ball has left the battlefield.

If it was fine and now being weird after led job you might have just bumped the opto board connectors under the playfield. Every shadow i have ever had had loose opto board connectors. Check those

#5978 4 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

My new Shadow arrived today. It's in good shape but dirty with a couple broken wires and plastics. After a couple hours I got it looking like this. Almost no wear in the Sanctum area. [quoted image][quoted image]

It's missing something.

#5979 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Bigger issue is why the game thinks a ball is still on the battlefield when it's not. I'm not understanding the logic of the game and what causes the game know the ball has left the battlefield.

Mine does this. Once the ball leaves the Battlefield it sometimes gets trapped under the kicker mech on top of a playfield plastic underneath. I have to move the kicker left or right with flipper button to free the ball. I assumed this was normal. I get a “use the flippers” call out which sort re-enforces this is meant to happen.
Someone let me know if this is not part of the game design and I need to investigate further.

#5980 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

It is your battlefield optos. When the ball completely breaks the beam the kicker resets and battlefield closes down. Has nothing to do with lower playfield switches.
On a side note: the first shadow I ever had started having problems when i did a full led job. Did you put all LEDs in the backbox behind trans light? The light was interfering with my battlefield optos. I took out half the blackbox LEDs and it fixed it.

Thanks, the kicker resets once a main playfield switch is hit, not when it falls down and breaks the beam. In test mode, the optos work as they should. Why during game play are the optos not sensing the ball has fallen off the battlefield? I checked the connections and reseated the wires on the opto board, no change.

I will have access to another shadow tomorrow and can try my opto board in that game to rule out a board issue.

#5981 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's missing something.

Googly eyes on Baldwin.

#5982 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's missing something.

I'm working on it. The offensive Bladwin will be replaced soon.

#5983 4 years ago

Ok Pinsiders - need some help here. Found this stuff in the cabinet floating around and need to know if it is part of my game or not. If so, where does it go?

20190704_070650 (resized).jpg20190704_070650 (resized).jpg20190704_070717 (resized).jpg20190704_070717 (resized).jpg20190704_070740 (resized).jpg20190704_070740 (resized).jpg20190704_070805 (resized).jpg20190704_070805 (resized).jpg
#5984 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Thanks, the kicker resets once a main playfield switch is hit, not when it falls down and breaks the beam. In test mode, the optos work as they should. Why during game play are the optos not sensing the ball has fallen off the battlefield? I checked the connections and reseated the wires on the opto board, no change.
I will have access to another shadow tomorrow and can try my opto board in that game to rule out a board issue.

You don't have an issue. As stated above and in your other thread, the ball sometimes gets hung up under the battlefield and you need to free it. My game doesn't shut off until you hit a lower switch or the battlefield opto has been broken in a certain amount of time.

If you are experiencing random kicking it is the board under the main playfield I mentioned.

Your game sounds fine.

#5985 4 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

You don't have an issue. As stated above and in your other thread, the ball sometimes gets hung up under the battlefield and you need to free it. My game doesn't shut off until you hit a lower switch or the battlefield opto has been broken in a certain amount of time.
If you are experiencing random kicking it is the board under the main playfield I mentioned.
Your game sounds fine.

It’s not getting hung up under the battlefield. It exits fine and the behavior is different than it was. Before, as soon as it left the battlefield, the flippers no longer controlled the kicker and the kicker reset. Now, the ball is exiting and it’s not immediately resetting until a switch is hit. Maybe it is normal, just seems odd to have seemingly changed.

#5986 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

It’s not getting hung up under the battlefield. It exits fine and the behavior is different than it was. Before, as soon as it left the battlefield, the flippers no longer controlled the kicker and the kicker reset. Now, the ball is exiting and it’s not immediately resetting until a switch is hit. Maybe it is normal, just seems odd to have seemingly changed.

It’s normal. The beam breaking activates a kick from the battle field paddle NOT to reset it. From the battlefield’s perspective the game won’t know from the opto if you successfully knocked the ball back up or if you missed it.

#5987 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's missing something.

Baldwin is gone. It looks much better now.

20190705_221611 (resized).jpg20190705_221611 (resized).jpg
#5988 4 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Ok Pinsiders - need some help here. Found this stuff in the cabinet floating around and need to know if it is part of my game or not. If so, where does it go?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Those are not shadow parts.

#5989 4 years ago

I got my gun grips in the mail from Art (Oldpinguy) and they look fantastic. When I get time to work on my Shadow, it will be 100% improvement from the plastic grey that came with the machine.

Thanks Art-

Jim

#5990 4 years ago

Thank you for the kind words! , Jim

I enjoyed this project very much.

I love the feel of grabbing the gun and how the wood feels.

I have 3-4 pairs of Walnut Left, and thats all folks!

#5991 4 years ago

I recognize that it's not to everyone's taste, but I recently got back powdercoated legs and rails. I had expected it to be a bluer purple, but still happy with it. I think it will go well with purple under cabinet lights, purple flashers and purple mode select insert leds.

Finished so far:
* strip, patch and paint cabinet
* repaint coin mechanism
* comet leds
* titan rubbers
* new vinyl apply
* new buttons
* cityscape backdrop sticker
* cityscape pinblades
* black nickel plated gun mechanism
* wood grips
* repainted mongols and daggers

Still to go:
*install pin stadium
* install pinsound
Install new speakers
* install aurich translight
* install purple under cabinet lights
* install colour did
* install and swap to new playfield
* polish ramps
* new stickers for diverters
* plating of rails
* install backlighting for speaker panel
* capacitor replace circuit boards

20190708_062047 (resized).jpg20190708_062047 (resized).jpg20190708_062052 (resized).jpg20190708_062052 (resized).jpg20190708_062037 (resized).jpg20190708_062037 (resized).jpg20190707_191904 (resized).jpg20190707_191904 (resized).jpg20190707_122045 (resized).jpg20190707_122045 (resized).jpg20190708_062025 (resized).jpg20190708_062025 (resized).jpg
#5992 4 years ago
Quoted from Stuieb84:

I recognize that it's not to everyone's taste, but I recently got back powdercoated legs and rails. I had expected it to be a bluer purple, but still happy with it. I think it will go well with purple under cabinet lights, purple flashers and purple mode select insert leds.
Finished so far:
* repaint coin mechanism
* comet leds
* titan rubbers
* new vinyl apply
* new buttons
* cityscape pinblades
* wood grips
Still to go:
*install pin stadium
* install pinsound
Install new speakers
* install colour did
* polish ramps
* plating of rails
* capacitor replace circuit boards[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I don’t know about that powder color, doesn’t match anything on the game and looks out of place.

Where did you get the cabinet decals? I need a front decal.

#5993 4 years ago
Quoted from Stuieb84:

Finished so far:
* repaint coin mechanism
* comet leds
* titan rubbers
* new vinyl apply
* new buttons
* cityscape pinblades
* wood grips
Still to go:
*install pin stadium*
* install pinsound
Install new speakers
* install colour did
* polish ramps
* plating of rails
* capacitor replace circuit boards[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

*replace missing ring?
https://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/spareparts/the-shadow-rings.html

#5994 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I don’t know about that powder color, doesn’t match anything on the game and looks out of place.

I would have preferred getting it powdercoated in dark blue, but the purple is what my wife wanted. At the end of the day, if I get to buy a pinball machine, but I need to compromise by putting purple powdercoat/flashers/underlight then it's a compromise I am willing to make for the greater good of owning a pinball machine

#5995 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

The decals are from:
https://pinballdecals.eu/shop/the-shadow-pinball-cabinet-decals-set/

I would express caution in only applying vinyl to one portion of cabinet as inevitably the colours will differ. Pics below show the differences in tone and hue.

20190608_152717 (resized).jpg20190608_152717 (resized).jpg20190608_152801 (resized).jpg20190608_152801 (resized).jpg20190608_152710 (resized).jpg20190608_152710 (resized).jpg
#5996 4 years ago

Thanks. I have one, but just need to screw in

#5997 4 years ago
Quoted from Stuieb84:

The decals are from:
https://pinballdecals.eu/shop/the-shadow-pinball-cabinet-decals-set/
I would express caution in only applying vinyl to one portion of cabinet as inevitably the colours will differ. Pics below show the differences in tone and hue.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I’m thinking that those guys make the decals for retro refurbs. They look very similar.

Did you have any “bleed” area at the edges?

The ones I got from Retro were so tight, they only just fitted. Like ... they didn’t need any trimming.

They should make them with an inch all the way around as not all cabinets are the same .. especially the ones that have start button emblems like CFTBL.

rd

#5998 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I’m thinking that those guys make the decals for retro refurbs. They look very similar.
Did you have any “bleed” area at the edges?
The ones I got from Retro were so tight, they only just fitted. Like ... they didn’t need any trimming.
They should make them with an inch all the way around as not all cabinets are the same .. especially the ones that have start button emblems like CFTBL.
rd

It had quite a bit of bleed edge. I found using these decals with rapid tack worked well

#5999 4 years ago

wow this is a long thread. But I did, I finally joined the group. Mine arrives in a couple days and I am already compiling a list of mods I want. But unsure if I have missed any must haves...

LED pop bumper caps, unsure which color to go with...
Shadow knows flipper tops, Who sells these?
Side blade artwork
Aurich Translite (already purchased)
New chrome gun - Where can you get these?
Walnut gun handle from art - Already purchased
Apron Magnet from Bill - Already purchased.

#6000 4 years ago
Quoted from toasterman04:

wow this is a long thread. But I did, I finally joined the group. Mine arrives in a couple days and I am already compiling a list of mods I want. But unsure if I have missed any must haves...
LED pop bumper caps, unsure which color to go with...
Shadow knows flipper tops, Who sells these?
Side blade artwork
Aurich Translite (already purchased)
New chrome gun - Where can you get these?
Walnut gun handle from art - Already purchased
Apron Magnet from Bill - Already purchased.

welcome, you will not need pop bumper LEDs, flipper tops I think Tilt graphics as them, chrome gun exchange (chris royalty), I want side blade art for mine, but the playfield sits so tight in the cabinet I am afraid it will scuff it up.

What is this apron magnet??

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,927 posts in this topic. You are on page 120 of 219.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club/page/120 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.