IMG_0517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0701 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0513 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1404 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1405 (resized).JPEG
IMG_7706 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,927 posts in this topic. You are on page 116 of 219.
#5751 4 years ago

What’s the feel for Shadow owners when it comes to ColorDMD; LCD vs LED?

#5752 4 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

What’s the feel for Shadow owners when it comes to ColorDMD; LCD vs LED?

Definitely prefer LED to LCD. Brighter, cleaner with less pixellation. In my opinion, the only reason to consider LCD is if you want to use different effects with the images.

#5753 4 years ago

Definitely LCD over LED unless you can’t physically fit the LCD screen. LED overly bright and not as cohesive with the graphics.

As you can see it’s personal preference.

Either way I consider ColorDMD a must for all games that support it.

#5754 4 years ago

Lots of threads on lcd vs led. All personal preference. Lcd does have display options that led does not. I find led too bright and coarse. Lcd softer and more natural looking to me. If unsure, just get lcd. It's what most people buy.

#5755 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Lots of threads on lcd vs led. All personal preference. Lcd does have display options that led does not. I find led too bright and coarse. Lcd softer and more natural looking to me. If unsure, just get lcd. It's what most people buy.

I have both and prefer lcd. More options makes it better. I do like how the led fits though.

#5756 4 years ago

I had an LED for 2 days at first I thought I liked it but after a short while I didnt like it at all. I sent it back for an LCD and haven't regretted a thing. The colors and tones on LCD are so much better with Aurich's translite plus I have many more options with the settings. Oh and no white line reflections... either way you go it's all personal preference.

#5757 4 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

I had an LED for 2 days at first I thought I liked it but after a short while I didnt like it at all. I sent it back for an LCD and haven't regretted a thing. The colors and tones on LCD are so much better with Aurich's translite plus I have many more options with the settings. Oh and no white line reflections... either way you go it's all personal preference.

After a lot of googling and flipping through this thread, it seems the vast majority have opted for the LCD ColorDMD. Possibly more so than other titles, it seems the LCD lends itself better to The Shadow than the LED. Albeit the LED still looks great!!

The Aussie dollar sucks at the moment but I think I’ll have to pull the trigger.

#5758 4 years ago

I think the LCD would look better if it was a higher resolution screen. This is my issue with the LCD, doesn't look clear enough.

#5759 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I think the LCD would look better if it was a higher resolution screen. This is my issue with the LCD, doesn't look clear enough.

Even when used in dots or tile mode??

#5760 4 years ago

I had the LCD in mine on DOTSXL and it looked fine. I’ve since removed it tho.

In general tho I buy the LED displays. Cheaper, better fit, and I like the look. To my eye they’re brighter and bolder, even on the default settings.

#5761 4 years ago

My biggest problem with the LED displays is they are too bright even when turned down to the dimmest setting. Plus I like having options of what to display. I've really grown in love with the Scan mode of the LCD.

#5762 4 years ago

Even when used in dots or tile mode??

Yes, all modes.

#5763 4 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

My biggest problem with the LED displays is they are too bright even when turned down to the dimmest setting. Plus I like having options of what to display. I've really grown in love with the Scan mode of the LCD.

My problem with LCD is the colors are bland and washed out.

The LED is not only brighter (which I think looks better) , but the colors are more vivid. Especially the greens in Shadow.

I also think the classic dots look the best. And full disclosure, I've got both LCD (2) and LED (3).

Prefer LED for all future purchases. .

#5764 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

My problem with LCD is the colors are bland and washed out.
The LED is not only brighter (which I think looks better) , but the colors are more vivid. Especially the greens in Shadow.
I also think the classic dots look the best. And full disclosure, I've got both LCD (2) and LED (3).
Prefer LED for all future purchases. .

Ahh so many avid followers of both LCD and LED. Without having them side to side, it’s so difficult to accurately compare.

#5765 4 years ago

Ahh so many avid followers of both LCD and LED. Without having them side to side, it’s so difficult to accurately compare.

I agree, I don't think anyone's opinion will change on this one but here you go...

Aurich new (resized).jpgAurich new (resized).jpgColorDMD LED 1 (resized).jpgColorDMD LED 1 (resized).jpgpinball row LCD-LED (resized).jpgpinball row LCD-LED (resized).jpg
#5766 4 years ago
pinball row new a (resized).jpgpinball row new a (resized).jpg
#5767 4 years ago

Which is witch? The top picture looks more vibrant and colors deeper to me. But it looks like it’s smoothed out compared to the bottom.

#5768 4 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

Which is witch? The top picture looks more vibrant and colors deeper to me. But it looks like it’s smoothed out compared to the bottom.

The top one is LCD. It’s in HIRES mode.

The LED looks duller in pix because it loses its glow. I noticed that when I uploaded a pic of my IJ display the other day.

#5769 4 years ago

Top LCD High Res mode

Bottom LED, not on a high brightness, I found that it made me get dizzy if it was too bright

In the row of 3 pins,

1st one LED

2nd post LCD High Res mode

Sorry, I should have labeled them, I could make it dots or dots xl for reference but I no longer have the LED

#5770 4 years ago

Here’s a (very) short vid of my LED display in TOM.

#5771 4 years ago

Photos and videos don't really show what either look like that well honestly, but the LED version maybe most of all. It's just a different light than your computer screen puts out. If you're on the fence my suggestion is see it in person. If you really can't decide I honestly thing the LED version is more 'divisive' in look and the safe bet is LCD.

Either way I think you'll be happy though, the color looks amazing and is a big upgrade to the feel of the game.

#5772 4 years ago

It seems that my flippers on shadow aren't as strong as they were just a couple days ago. I recently had a repair done on the GI lights and sound, but that's it. I can barely get the ball up the ramps now?? They used to be powerful and rip up the ramps. I'm stumped. Any idea what could be wrong? Please help. Thank you!!!

#5773 4 years ago

Hi, I would like to share with you our current fundraising to purchase brand new pinball machines for our local Children's Hospital, they would replace the actual machines I've placed with my wife.
Share the love and don't hesitate to PM me for details :

https://www.ulule.com/des-lumieres-dans-les-yeux/
all details : https://www.deslumieresdanslesyeux.fr/en

#5774 4 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Hi, I would like to share with you our current fundraising to purchase brand new pinball machines for our local Children's Hospital, they would replace the actual machines I've placed with my wife.
Share the love and don't hesitate to PM me for details :
https://www.ulule.com/des-lumieres-dans-les-yeux/
all details : https://www.deslumieresdanslesyeux.fr/en

Sounds like a great idea, best wishes in making it happen.

One thing if you don’t mind me intruding, on your site you mention the following.

“The Project
The idea of ​​this project is to raise funds to offer gaming machines for welcoming centers for sick children.”

To a native English speaker, one coming from Australia so maybe it isn’t for all, but the term “gaming machine” here refers to a gambling machine, not something I’m sure your endorsing for children. Arcade machine/Pinball machine is probably a more friendly term ☺️

#5775 4 years ago

Thanks for this comment.
I totally accept all english corrections. and I'll do that asap

#5776 4 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

It seems that my flippers on shadow aren't as strong as they were just a couple days ago. I recently had a repair done on the GI lights and sound, but that's it. I can barely get the ball up the ramps now?? They used to be powerful and rip up the ramps. I'm stumped. Any idea what could be wrong? Please help. Thank you!!!

What exactly was the repair work? Are all three flippers weak? Move them manually be hand just to make sure there is no mechanical drag/tension. I would also make sure the eos switch is not stuck on.

#5777 4 years ago

I think I just need a flipper rebuild. Grimy and dirty. Thanks for your help!!

#5778 4 years ago

Question, my shadow shooter plunger fires nice about every other time. One time it fires strong, the next it doesn’t go all the way up the wire ramp? Any idea what could be the issue? Thanks everyone.

#5779 4 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Question, my shadow shooter plunger fires nice about every other time. One time it fires strong, the next it doesn’t go all the way up the wire ramp? Any idea what could be the issue? Thanks everyone.

It’s not cleanly hitting the ball. It could have loose screws on the solenoid, or could be misaligned (so only hits the ball properly sometimes).

#5780 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

It’s not cleanly hitting the ball. It could have loose screws on the solenoid, or could be misaligned (so only hits the ball properly sometimes).

Or simple as a cracked coil sleeve?

#5781 4 years ago

I will check those things. Thanks fellas.

#5782 4 years ago

Hi Pinside.

I recently refurbished a Shadow and clearcoated the playfield. I also washed the entire playfield harness Vid sytle. After reassembling everything all the switches and mechs work fine but I am fighting an issue with the Battlefield single drop target.

When I boot the machine up the 3 amp fuse connected to the magnet and drop down solenoid immediately burns up. The drop down solenoid also gets rather hot. When I unplug the Battlefield drop (and up) solenoids and boot the machine the magnet works fine without blowing the fuse. I have been testing with both slow blow and regular fuses. With the slow blow fuses the solenoid will drop the target one time before burning up. The regular fuses go immediately.

I also completely replaced the fliptronics 2 board because the original had some iffy transistor replacements. These tests are using a new Rottendog Fliptronics 2 board. The drop down solenoid is also brand new as the last one burnt up. The only other fix I have tried is replacing the spring on the Drop Down arm with a weaker one so the solenoid doesn't have to pull as hard.

I am not sure what else to try here. The problem seems to be the Orange-Grey wire that drives the solenoid. It doesn't power any other devices in the machine as far as I can tell.

If you have any recommendations please let me know. I am one working solenoid away from my grail pin working here.

Thanks

#5783 4 years ago

Here's an update on my issue.

I isolated the drop down coil in a number of ways to diagnose the problem. In short, the fuse only blows when the drop down coil is hooked up. the coil immediatley heats up when the machine is turned on and pops the fuse. I have tried removing it from the drop target bracket and letting it hang in the machine separate from the bracket just in case there was a short there. Same blown fuse. I have clipped the wires on the drop down solenoid and plugged in the molex that powers both the drop up and drop down solenoids and the fuse doesnt blow and the drop up solenoid works fine. I have unplugged the drop down and drop up solenoids and plugged in the magnet only and the fuse doesn't blow.

There is one solenoid running from the Orange-Grey wire. The Drop down solenoid
There are only 2 solenoid running from the Red-Grey Wire. the Magnet and the Drop down
The drop down solenoid is run from Orange-Grey and Red-Grey from the fliptronics 2 board

My drop down solenoid doesn't have a diode installed on it and from the manual it looks like its not supposed to.

I have also tried reversing the wires on the drop down solenoid and it still heats up and pops a fuse.

Hope this info helps diagnose a little further

#5784 4 years ago
Quoted from Smurrill1:

Here's an update on my issue.

Sorry no expert advise has come your way yet. I am in no way an expert in what your issue you are describing, but I do know coils themselves can short from time to time. Might explain the odd blow out on your fuses. If you have checked grounding issues with everything from the backbox forward, the coil to me sounds suspect. I would try replacing it as they aren’t too expensive.

#5785 4 years ago

What scoot said, get a multimeter and check it for a short. Id also inspect it closely and look for any shorts.

Further, I'd trace the wire back to the harness and ensure that it didn't get pinched of the wrong connector plugged in anywhere

#5786 4 years ago

The backbox decal recieved from flynnyfalcon (it was his spare one) looks great with the pinblades from pingrafx

20190608_155620 (resized).jpg20190608_155620 (resized).jpg
#5787 4 years ago

...so has anyone used cliffys on their shadow playfield? Good experience or not worth bothering?

#5788 4 years ago

Cliffys are always worth the effort.

That said, does he even make any for Shadow?

#5789 4 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Cliffys are always worth the effort.
That said, does he even make any for Shadow?

Just the universal switch slot protectors

#5790 4 years ago

I’m sure others have had this issue. When the ball goes up and around the right orbit and exits the left orbit, the ball bouces off the post at the end of the left orbit and goes straight down between the flippers. I’d like it to come down to the left flipper. Any ideas how to make this work? I’ve noticed pictures of other shadows and it looks like that post sticks out, so this has to be an issue. Any thoughts or solutions? Thanks everyone.

#5791 4 years ago

Adjust your lane guide out slightly.

#5792 4 years ago

Same for me. A good shot on right orbit makes a sdtm .
What's the normal behavior ? Left or right flipper ?

#5793 4 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Same for me. A good shot on right orbit makes a sdtm .
What's the normal behavior ? Left or right flipper ?

Should be left flipper all day. You can adjust the lane guide a bit to help.

#5794 4 years ago

Cliffy doesn't make any shadow specific protectors yet. I asked him a month or two ago. He hasn't had his hands on a playfield to create one yet. So if someone lives close to him and has a playfield, he sounded like he would love to make them.

#5795 4 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

Cliffy doesn't make any shadow specific protectors yet. I asked him a month or two ago. He hasn't had his hands on a playfield to create one yet. So if someone lives close to him and has a playfield, he sounded like he would love to make them.

He has access to my game any time he needs it. I’ll let him know.

#5796 4 years ago

Thanks everyone!!

#5797 4 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

He has access to my game any time he needs it. I’ll let him know.

Thats awesome. Thanks!

#5798 4 years ago

So, I’m still having issues with my shooter plunger. It works well every other or every third plunge. When it works well, it shoots it up the wire form very well. When it doesn’t work, it doesn’t even make it all the way up the wireform. I checked the alignment and it’s good. I also checked for any loose screws. Everything seems okay. Any suggestions on what to do? Thanks everyone.

#5799 4 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

So, I’m still having issues with my shooter plunger. It works well every other or every third plunge. When it works well, it shoots it up the wire form very well. When it doesn’t work, it doesn’t even make it all the way up the wireform. I checked the alignment and it’s good. I also checked for any loose screws. Everything seems okay. Any suggestions on what to do? Thanks everyone.

Is your plunger tip good? Not broken or unevenly worn?

#5800 4 years ago

Plunger tip is good too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

There are 10,927 posts in this topic. You are on page 116 of 219.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club/page/116?hl=brewninja and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.