IMG_0517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0701 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0513 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1404 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1405 (resized).JPEG
IMG_7706 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,927 posts in this topic. You are on page 109 of 219.
#5401 5 years ago

The light-up headlights on the repro playfield are awesome!

#5402 5 years ago

I can’t wait for the Shadow Battlefiled apron. Mine is completely broken and off the game. I also can’t wait to see how bad ass it looks in black chrome.

#5403 5 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

I can’t wait for the Shadow Battlefiled apron. Mine is completely broken and off the game. I also can’t wait to see how bad ass it looks in black chrome.

Me too! It’s the only piece I haven’t been able to replace yet lol

#5404 5 years ago

Looking forward to seeing your finished work

#5405 5 years ago
Quoted from EZG:

I’m restoring my Shadow and am torn between buying a restored playfield or a new reproduction. Any strong feelings or recommendations on either option? Thanks!
E

If you could find a properly restored orginal, go with that. Better than CPR because not only is it good as new, no need to test fit the mechanisms when drilling the holes. Either way, it won't play the same as it did before you swap it.
Good luck finding a restored original.

#5406 5 years ago

Just finished shopping my game out and I can’t figure out where this piece goes. Anyone know? Thanks!

1F2DCCA3-35EB-4F33-9B95-FE98120C0435 (resized).jpeg1F2DCCA3-35EB-4F33-9B95-FE98120C0435 (resized).jpeg
#5407 5 years ago

Behind the left ramp diverter.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#5408 5 years ago

Another question, does anyone’s magnet when it holds the pinball by the sanctum not pull the ball back to lock it. Mine use to work correctly but now after cleaning it the ball just rolls back towards the flippers after the magnet releases it.

#5409 5 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Another question, does anyone’s magnet when it holds the pinball by the sanctum not pull the ball back to lock it. Mine use to work correctly but now after cleaning it the ball just rolls back towards the flippers after the magnet releases it.

I seem to remember mine doing that. I think if the switch in the big wall droptarget is faulty, it causes the magnet to do weird things. Or maybe the opto is bad.

#5410 5 years ago

Check the switch at the bottom of the sanctum wall target. It probably just needs adjusting. Switch should trigger when wall target is down.

#5411 5 years ago

Almost definitely the wall switch. Sanctum was giving me fits until I replaced it and it solved the issue.

#5412 5 years ago

Tell me if you think I'm nuts but planning on modifying my shadow wire form accordingly. Despite extending my switch out further on the wire form and using the long 3 inch actuator on the switch, I still experience the ball jumping the switch. In fact, sometimes the ball is moving so fast it flies off the wire form.

I was thinking about using an old junky wire form to cut out some pieces and extend my wire form where you see the red lines. Was also thinking about relocating the switch from the red box area to the green on the other side of the playfield. Currently I have a zip tie in the yellow box area to help knock down fast balls that are riding high in the wire form and jumping the switch.

I would obviously have to replate my wire form bronze if I weld it up.

This picture isn't of my game btw.

shadow (resized).jpgshadow (resized).jpg
#5413 5 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Tell me if you think I'm nuts but planning on modifying my shadow wire form accordingly. Despite extending my switch out further on the wire form and using the long 3 inch actuator on the switch, I still experience the ball jumping the switch. In fact, sometimes the ball is moving so fast it flies off the wire form.
I was thinking about using an old junky wire form to cut out some pieces and extend my wire form where you see the red lines. Was also thinking about relocating the switch from the red box area to the green on the other side of the playfield. Currently I have a zip tie in the yellow box area to help knock down fast balls that are riding high in the wire form and jumping the switch.
I would obviously have to replate my wire form bronze if I weld it up.
This picture isn't of my game btw. [quoted image]

I've never heard of anyone needing to go to that extreme before....but for all of that effort, one has to wonder if fabricating a simple spring loaded finger/gate (that would function similarly to the switch in a sense) near where the current switch is to slow down the ball - and relocating the switch further down - would be less effort, but similar effect...

#5414 5 years ago

Alright I looked at the switch and I put the game in test mode and the switch works. Does this switch look right to you guys? That switch was regristing that the wall was down because of the lever that was on it but yet the wall was up not down. Seems like there should be a spring or something holding that lever until wall comes down on it..

During game play magnet catches ball and opts work it switch test mode and wall goes down but the ball releases and rolls back to flippers..
9F4CD7A3-624A-45BF-BA5E-0650EA325134 (resized).jpeg9F4CD7A3-624A-45BF-BA5E-0650EA325134 (resized).jpegC0F80F0B-7145-4323-B438-BEB1E03BC783 (resized).jpegC0F80F0B-7145-4323-B438-BEB1E03BC783 (resized).jpeg1C90401F-FC32-4933-A4ED-C6FF442CD7A4 (resized).jpeg1C90401F-FC32-4933-A4ED-C6FF442CD7A4 (resized).jpeg

#5415 5 years ago

How did you test the switch? With your finger? If so, then that is not a good test. It needs to trigger when the plastic sanctum wall is down. Manually drop the wall target and see if that triggers the switch. I bet you need to twist the switch counter clockwise a bit and tighten. If it gets loose, the sanctum will push it back and then not trigger. You also want to make sure the swing arm does not trigger the switch - only the wall target.

#5416 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

How did you test the switch? With your finger? If so, then that is not a good test. It needs to trigger when the plastic sanctum wall is down. Manually drop the wall target and see if that triggers the switch. I bet you need to twist the switch counter clockwise a bit and tighten. If it gets loose, the sanctum will push it back and then not trigger. You also want to make sure the swing arm does not trigger the switch - only the wall target.

Yeah I tested with my hand to make sure it was working. The swing arm is resting on the switch and is triggering the switch and yet the wall is in the up position is that correct???

so the swing arm shouldn't trigger the switch in resting mode? I can probably bend the switch a little and that way it doesn't register it..

I guess I am not understanding how this mech works fully.

#5417 5 years ago

Mine worked in test too, but just was flaky enough that it needed replacement. They don’t last forever.

#5418 5 years ago

Sometimes the bottom of the target cracks and when the arm moves it to the up position it jams it. That isn't the case with you.

Also check for divots in the sanctum that doesn't allow the ball to release and then get pulled back into the sanctum.

#5419 5 years ago

Either way. It a switch problem. The weight of that arm shouldnt be enough to trigger. I would remove that thing and clean it while you are at it. Its pretty filthy

#5420 5 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Either way. It a switch problem. The weight of that arm shouldnt be enough to trigger. I would remove that thing and clean it while you are at it. Its pretty filthy

yeah I am going to definitely do that ..

#5421 5 years ago

Another thing. You have to do tests will the playfield horizontal. Things move differently
when tilted up. So loosen the screw and rotate it slighlty until the switch isnt tiggered and take it from there.

#5422 5 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Yeah I tested with my hand to make sure it was working. The swing arm is resting on the switch and is triggering the switch and yet the wall is in the up position is that correct???
so the swing arm shouldn't trigger the switch in resting mode? I can probably bend the switch a little and that way it doesn't register it..
I guess I am not understanding how this mech works fully.

The swing arm should NOT be triggering the switch. When the pf is down, gravity will bring the swing arm down. If that triggers the switch then the game will think the wall is down when it is up. ONLY the red wall target should activate the switch as it moves down. Go into the menu settings and drop the sanctum wall. Get under the pf and manually move the wall target up and down some without locking it up in switch test mode. Verify the switch is only activating from the wall target and not the swing arm.

The sanctum target mech works off of a couple of coils, an opto, and a switch. The opto tells the game when the ball has crossed the magnet. The small coil will release pin holding wall target so it will drop. The switch at the bottom of the wall target will tell the game when the wall is down (or up if switch not triggered). The other coil will be used to raise the target back up.

#5423 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

The swing arm should NOT be triggering the switch. When the pf is down, gravity will bring the swing arm down. If that triggers the switch then the game will think the wall is down when it is up. ONLY the red wall target should activate the switch as it moves down. Go into the menu settings and drop the sanctum wall. Get under the pf and manually move the wall target up and down some without locking it up in switch test mode. Verify the switch is only activating from the wall target and not the swing arm.
The sanctum target mech works off of a couple of coils, an opto, and a switch. The opto tells the game when the ball has crossed the magnet. The small coil will release pin holding wall target so it will drop. The switch at the bottom of the wall target will tell the game when the wall is down (or up if switch not triggered). The other coil will be used to raise the target back up.

Okay yeah I noticed yesterday that in the normal position when the wall was up in switch test it was activated. Seems like I can just bend the switch a little to make it harder to register somehow. Anyone have a good picture of their switch?

#5424 5 years ago

Anyone looking for a life size knight to go with their Shadow? You can bid on it live on Maxsold near Toronto. I guess it's the largest Shadow mod out there Six and half feet tall!

knight (resized).jpgknight (resized).jpg

#5425 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Anyone looking for a life size knight to go with their Shadow? You can bid on it live on Maxsold near Toronto. I guess it's the largest Shadow mod out there Six and half feet tall!

That's cool and all, but what does it have to do with the The Shadow? Wouldn't it be a more appropriate mod for MM or BK?

#5426 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

That's cool and all, but what does it have to do with the The Shadow? Wouldn't it be a more appropriate mod for MM or BK?

I guess your right, not really a mongol. Just add some Ugg boots
knight2 (resized).jpgknight2 (resized).jpg

#5427 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

That's what I was trying to figure out too.

#5428 5 years ago

Well The Shadow does operate under cover of... KNIGHT! Ha!

#5429 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Well The Shadow does operate under cover of... KNIGHT! Ha!

Can't figure out if I want to upvote or downvote this.

#5430 5 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

Can't figure out if I want to upvote or downvote this.

FWIW, either way, I deserve it.

#5431 5 years ago

Please help!!
I have a Shadow that only the left flipper worked, so replaced the right opto flipper board, and then the lower right started working, but upper didnt..
Left and right flipper buttons only register one square each in the switch test grid...
I have 13v at the upper flipper board coming from both optos on right side , and when I press button, they drop to 0.. not sure if this is how you test them... any ideas ?
Thanks

#5432 5 years ago

Not to be redundant but here's a shout out to Aurich and his translate. I've swapped out the LED to an LCD ColorDMD, I know... it's hires but I like it and the colors seem to mesh better with his beautiful artwork!

Thank you!

Aurich new (resized).jpgAurich new (resized).jpg
#5433 5 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

Not to be redundant but here's a shout out to Aurich and his translate. I've swapped out the LED to an LCD ColorDMD, I know... it's hires but I like it and the colors seem to mesh better with his beautiful artwork!
Thank you! [quoted image]

I’ve done the same thing and couldn’t agree more! It looks bloody fantastic

#5434 5 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

Thank you! [quoted image]

Looks beautiful with the Color DMD. Nice back board decal too BTW

#5435 5 years ago
Quoted from mobilexx:

Please help!!
I have a Shadow that only the left flipper worked, so replaced the right opto flipper board, and then the lower right started working, but upper didnt..
Left and right flipper buttons only register one square each in the switch test grid...
I have 13v at the upper flipper board coming from both optos on right side , and when I press button, they drop to 0.. not sure if this is how you test them... any ideas ?
Thanks

Have you tried swapping boards and see if the problem follows a board? Is your interrupter arm broken? You could try manually tripping optos to see if they work correctly.

#5436 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Looks beautiful with the Color DMD. Nice back board decal too BTW

lol, thank you!

#5437 5 years ago

Hello guys. Been lurking here for years. My name is Richy. Got my Shadow 15 years ago for my wife for anniversary present. She didn't want a diamond ring just a pinball, imagine that !!!!! Anyway was working good for years then we stopped playing 5 yrs. ago. Decided to resurrect it last month. Had issue with the Sanctum Wall not working. Replaced the entire unit from Marco's and it worked great. Problem is played 2 games, everything worked great but now DMD is blank. All I get is horizontal test line from top to bottom, then power shut down, then test mode again with flippers, lights, solenoids, and horizontal lines in display. Wife says I should have left it alone, at least it worked ! Any ideas ?

#5438 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainRMF:

Hello guys. Been lurking here for years. My name is Richy. Got my Shadow 15 years ago for my wife for anniversary present. She didn't want a diamond ring just a pinball, imagine that !!!!! Anyway was working good for years then we stopped playing 5 yrs. ago. Decided to resurrect it last month. Had issue with the Sanctum Wall not working. Replaced the entire unit from Marco's and it worked great. Problem is played 2 games, everything worked great but now DMD is blank. All I get is horizontal test line from top to bottom, then power shut down, then test mode again with flippers, lights, solenoids, and horizontal lines in display. Wife says I should have left it alone, at least it worked ! Any ideas ?

Easiest thing to try is resetting the ribbon cables, sometimes that fixes these issues.

#5439 5 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

Easiest thing to try is resetting the ribbon cables, sometimes that fixes these issues.

Yup tried that already. Pulled all ribbons and plugs, then plugged them back in and still got same results. Horizontal lines still scrolling down display. will start again in the morning. Thanks.

#5440 5 years ago

Well don't know if this matters but on power up I get a high pitched squeal since I've owned it. After that powers up normal and plays normal. Also I noticed LED 3 on power board is flashing. Manual says it should be normally off. Gonna test the voltage at the DMD pin this morning.

#5441 5 years ago

What does it do in display test mode?

A lot of the older games chirp when you flip the switch on.

#5442 5 years ago

For any lurkers wishing to become a member I just listed a nice Shadow in the market

SOLD!
Machine - For Sale
Shadow, The Archived
Partially shopped/refurbished - “Selling a nice 1994 Midway The Shadow pinball machine. Solid cab with a couple of nicks, bright display working perfectly, game plays fast and error free. Removed everything from t...”
2019-03-03
Li, NY
3,600 (Firm)
Archived after: 5 days
Viewed: 685 times
Contributed to Pinside

#5443 5 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

What does it do in display test mode?
A lot of the older games chirp when you flip the switch on.

Well don't know what I did or which one it was but went back and pulled EVERY ribbon and EVERY plug, blew them out with canned dust remover, plugged them all back in tight, hit the switch and every thing is working perfectly including the DMD. Thank god !!! So decided to play a game with the Wife to make sure it all worked right. Well it worked, she kicked my Butt 1,488,187,110 to my measly 46,343,850. She also made it to Final Battle for the first time but missed out with 4 shots left. I did make Shadow Loop Champ with 3 loops however. Now back to cleaning and polishing the PF. Thanks for the help guys.

2208 (resized).jpg2208 (resized).jpg2206 (resized).jpg2206 (resized).jpg2207 (resized).jpg2207 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#5444 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainRMF:

Well don't know what I did or which one it was but went back and pulled EVERY ribbon and EVERY plug, blew them out with canned dust remover, plugged them all back in tight, hit the switch and every thing is working perfectly including the DMD. Thank god !!! So decided to play a game with the Wife to make sure it all worked right. Well it worked, she kicked my Butt 1,488,187,110 to my measly 46,343,850. She also made it to Final Battle for the first time but missed out with 4 shots left. I did make Shadow Loop Champ with 3 loops however. Now back to cleaning and polishing the PF. Thanks for the help guys.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

My guess would be a cold solder joint on one of the connectors.

#5445 5 years ago
Quoted from okgrak:

My guess would be a cold solder joint on one of the connectors.

Could be, but those ribbon cables are notorious for causing issues. If the display craps out again, I'd buy a new ribbon cable. Heck, I'd buy one now, just to eliminate a potential issue.

#5446 5 years ago

Hi everyone,
I am currently having my Shadow fully stripped and refurbed to like new, would just like to know what you all would do with the legs, side rails and lock down bar, I cant decide on gloss black or fully chromed.
cheers
Trevor

#5447 5 years ago
Quoted from MANTO1975:

Hi everyone,
I am currently having my Shadow fully stripped and refurbed to like new, would just like to know what you all would do with the legs, side rails and lock down bar, I cant decide on gloss black or fully chromed.
cheers
Trevor

Nice to see another Aussie Shadow owner.

Chrome for me, it'll always look great, whereas black may possibly lose it's charm. That said, of all 90's pins, Shadow could definitely pull it off, bringing a more modern look, especially with a ColorDMD.

#5448 5 years ago
Quoted from MANTO1975:

Hi everyone,
cheers
Trevor

I’d go with black. It will make the brass in the pin stand out more. Whereas chrome metal may clash with the golden hue and create a banding out of the inner cab walls (brass>black>chrome). Too busy.

#5449 5 years ago
Quoted from MANTO1975:

Hi everyone,
cheers
Trevor

Chromed mine......

IMG_0064 (resized).jpgIMG_0064 (resized).jpgIMG_0065 (resized).jpgIMG_0065 (resized).jpgIMG_0760~photo (resized).JPGIMG_0760~photo (resized).JPGIMG_0791~photo (resized).JPGIMG_0791~photo (resized).JPG
#5450 5 years ago

As another Aussie Shadow owner I’d also go with chrome over black, particularly seeing the gun looks so nice chromed up

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 37.50
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

There are 10,927 posts in this topic. You are on page 109 of 219.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club/page/109?hl=lamprey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.