New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 142263)

The Shadow ball launch problem

By ALY

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by rcbrown316
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot_from_2015-10-22_163204.png

#1 5 years ago

Almost every time a ball is launched it kicks in the left end of right wire ramp.

Screenshot from 2015-10-22 16:32:04.png

I tried adjusting the coil holder, also replaced the coil sleeve but still it keeps on smashing in this wire ramp end so in 50% time I don't get the ball on the playfield. It goes back down the shooter lane and autoplunger keeps on trying.

Anyone had this problem or knows a solution to it?

#2 5 years ago

On my Shadow i've replace the coil with a less powerfull one,cause if i well remember i 've had this kind of problem

#3 5 years ago

I tried smoothing over this with JB Weld and it made a marginal improvement. I also downgraded my shooter coil (I think I have an AE-24-900). My problem wasn't rattle and back to the plunger though, my problem was that 95% of the time I'd get a big glass strike. Now it's fine. I'm open to better fixes

Edit: Actually my problem was divots on the wire one above your problem area it looks like.

#4 5 years ago

I have AE-23-800 which probably is original.
I understand why less powerful coil would help, but if this one is original, it should work too?

#5 5 years ago

sounds like mechanical alignment issues. either adjust your kicker assembly bracket or the wire ramp I would say. changing the coil will not change the direction that shooter plunges the ball.

#6 5 years ago

I had this happen after I put my Shadow back together after a shop job. I adjusted the angle of the wire ramp by holding down and tightening the 2 nuts at the same time.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

sounds like mechanical alignment issues. either adjust your kicker assembly bracket or the wire ramp I would say. changing the coil will not change the direction that shooter plunges the ball.

right. get your hammer and pry-bar out

#8 5 years ago

make sure the plunger tip that strikes the ball is flat/flush. I had to file mine flat.

#9 5 years ago

I had this happen after I put my Shadow back together after a shop job. I adjusted the angle of the wire ramp by holding down and tightening the 2 nuts at the same time.

Quoted from rcbrown316:

right. get your hammer and pry-bar out

not that I own a shadow from experience, but I have had to replace and adjust multiple kicker assemblies (DM, DH, T2, and Drac), as well as metallica. There is always some 'wiggle room' for the kicker bracket mounted to the top of the pf, and I will assume the wire ramp has some adjustment play where it mounts to the pf.

#10 5 years ago

it's likely the kicker assy/mounting as opposed to the wireform

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
PinSound
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside