2014Dec30 032.JPG
image-197.jpg
image-922.jpg
grrr.jpg
image.jpg
image-727.jpg
image.jpg
image-161.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayner.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 9 years ago

GTB lube chart below John

GTBlubechart.pdfGTBlubechart.pdf

#46 9 years ago

OK great but I would not have thought the target was a 10 pointer!

#73 9 years ago
Quoted from BCpinhead:

DF, you state the playfield could be stripped in an hour with experience. You have some good points as usual - I'm wondering what benefits I would get by stripping the playfield down? I will take off those mylar loose rings thanks.
I searched for some good playfield revamp threads but could not find any. Is the main benefit just having a smooth surface to work on and get a good waxing? I cannot figure out how a guy gets those wire rails off and on again...looks like a lot of high stakes work.
Also a previous owner used finishing nails in some places, but maybe they are original? Is it OK if I post up some pictures of sections of the pf and get your advice on how it should look? It is hard to tell from the photos on the database.

The vid playfield restoration thread is superb

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration

#75 9 years ago

A terrific articulation DF of great value

#106 9 years ago

Undoubtedly John there is lots to do and at times it can become quite overwhelming. But you have a great basis to move forward on Atlantis and in particular your Atlantis.
The playfield overall looks pretty good to me and pretty good relative to the many pics we see of Atlantis on this forum. It would be nice to see some backglass closeups and reverse side. I however cannot urge you too strongly to strip as far as possible the playfield as earlier posts have suggested-the wireforms and star rollovers excepted. You will appreciate the effort in time to come.
For the preservation of the playfield, for gameplay and as you marvel at your machine from to time the sheer pleasure of looking at this thing of beauty which is literally gleaming (at you) as a result of your efforts.
You have a star studded machine in your midst which is just longing for your attention. Enjoy

1 week later
#124 9 years ago

That's a terrific expose of drop target bank maintenance DF. I agree as you say this a tricky undertaking-for me probably the trickiest and certainly more so than score reels.
It is not complex but boy it is tedious & time consuming and those damn springs by the end give you blurred vision re their identity!
I did a complete overhaul of my 4x4 High Hand drops and there is no doubt once it is done it makes a world of difference on how cleanly & precisely they drop & reset. One thing I found is do not try and remove the rubber stops as in all likelihood they will be perished to an extent and, for me at least, replacements were hard to come by.
I am currently overhauling my El Dorado 1x10 & 1x5 drop targets which were pretty oiled up where someone has used the lube route. But I decided to take your secondary route DF. That is removing the back plate (with rubber stoppers) and cleaning from there. I must say I was pleasantly surprised where with detailed cleaning they came up I think pretty well and I am happy with the result. The true test however will be when the machine is back to play.

#126 9 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

I have asked Steve about these before and he sold the last of his NOS years ago.......sadly, no plans to have them reproduced. The rubber deteriorates to the point of being brittle enough that removal is not advised.

Yes I was desperate to replace at least 6 on my High Hand which were completely deformed. I managed to get the 6 from John Robertson in Jan 14 and was very relieved. I think that was all he had as they do not now appear on his parts inventory.

rubbgrom.jpgrubbgrom.jpg

Separately I purchased a grommet assortment kit and although there was one group the correct size they were made from a non rubber substance which was non pliable and therefore unusable in the pin context. I would be confident of sourcing however a generic replacement if needed.

#153 9 years ago

I have just completed a resto on my El Dorado. On the 10 & 5 bank drop target sets I utilised plan B set out in Dirt Flippers' post 123. That is I removed the back plate and did all the cleaning from there in a particularly detailed fashion using Krud Kutter and a soft toothbrush and Novus 2 on the targets. In gameplay the targets drop & reset precisely so I was very happy with that approach. I accept however that the metal parts lack the pristine look and sheen of those by Dirt Flipper in post 123 but I believe it is a good approach where time, turnaround & accurate gameplay is important.

1 week later
#176 9 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Two rubbers behind the drop targets is not factory. It's a mod that some people like to do.

grrr.jpggrrr.jpg

I could not help myself jr

#180 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Actually, on Atlantis it is factory. It's documented on the ring kit list and playfield placement in the Operator Manual.

That's interesting DF. On El Dorado the 10 target bank is supported by two rubbers but with posts in the centre. I take it that could also be a mod on Atlantis to reduce the ball strike force particularly in the centre region.

#184 9 years ago
Quoted from BCpinhead:

There is one middle post at the 10 target bank on Atlantis. So double rubbers needed here. I have one extra so may as well put it on.

You are right my error. I wrongly interpreted the rubber diagram and my Atlantis is yet to arrive.

#197 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

El Dorado uses two separate sets of double rings on the upper drop targets, and one set of double rings on the lower drop target, grouped as three sets of five targets (so the upper ten are split five and five).
(and ring list/playfield placement in the Operator Manual for El D. accounts for it, FWIW.)

Thks DF. I recently completed a restro on my El Dorado. I purchased a ring set from PBR but it did not include the extra rings to double up.

#199 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

I just did an El D in October, and the kit I got from PBR did. Should have been eight 3" rings in it (two for the slings, and six for the drops).
How many 3" rings were in the kit? (or check the invoice?)

Oh dear DF-you have got me. Invoice indicates 8!! Checked my ElD spares box and there they are-3x3" rings. At the time I was not conscious of the doubling. Does the second ring go immediately below the post centred ring? As usual thks so much.

#201 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Yep. Just place one ring below, and the other at the normal spot.

Great explanatory pic DF thks. I think I was also wrong tracked because it only had single rings previously.

2014Nov04 026.JPG 114 KB

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayner.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-secrets-of-atlantismy-resto-thread?tu=wayner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.