Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by 11earl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Sorry I am a newbie to the hobby, but which games are supposed to have the post between the flippers? Are they on all the system 11 games? I also have seen the on the newer sterns as well. I don't recall seeing this post on any of the early DMD games though

#2 11 years ago

Oh and if anyone knows a correct term for this post that would help too heh

#3 11 years ago

I suppose you could go to the Internet Pinball Database and start looking at pictures.

Maybe do an advanced search for center post.

LTG

#4 11 years ago

Not all system 11's for sure. Diner, Funhouse and Taxi do not have the post.

The post is supposed to help but it actually changes play quite significantly. I find that it makes the games a little harder, because you have to not flip if the ball is coming SDTM. Judging when you'll get the post save and when you won't is an art all in itself.

#5 11 years ago

Speaking of this, does anyone know what the story is with T3? It seems to have a hole for the post with a cap over it.

#6 11 years ago

Ive heard it been called a "play more post" as well.

#7 11 years ago

So these "center posts" are part of the game design? I always thought that it was an option, like adding training wheels to the game or something

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from Capper96:

So these "center posts" are part of the game design?

Yes, they are intentional. My buddy has a older stern meteor, and i love the center post on that. I have a sys. 11 BK2K and it does not have a post as well.

#9 11 years ago

SM by me has one. It's good for those Sandman saves but like said before, it's an art. Must be a direct angle.

Sharkey's has one that you have to "decide" when to use with a second set of flippers.

#10 11 years ago

I like the freddy claw as well, for a save post.

#11 11 years ago

Comet had one installed at the factory.

#12 11 years ago

High speed does not. I believe Rollergames does tho. I love the looks on my family's faces when that sdtm ball is comming and I do nothing and save it. They don't get it

#13 11 years ago

Oh I also noticed IM had a hole for it as well. Don't know if it comes with one or aftermarket option.

#14 11 years ago

Does anyone know what the last game to have one is? I know WoF has one.

#15 11 years ago

DE Simpsons has one, and I love having the restraint to watch that ball head right down the center without doing anything, and then seeing the ball bounce up and to the left or right on to a flipper rubber. It's awesome and satisfying!

Conversely, misjudging and watching the ball head down the center and then just glancing off the post and down the drain without doing anything, sucks. Badly.

#17 11 years ago

What WOF has is something different altogether I think. Same with games like Space Shuttle, which have a larger post the pops up at certain times during the game making it almost impossible to drain past the flippers unless you really suck like me!

Whirlwind and ES have the standard center post.

#18 11 years ago

I recall reading something about how the (or a) European market required them and so many games found over there or reimported to the US will have them installed.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

What WOF has is something different altogether I think.

I could have sworn that WoF just had a standard post and rubber between the flippers. I know it has a funky dual lane configuration, though.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I could have sworn that WoF just had a standard post and rubber between the flippers. I know it has a funky dual lane configuration, though.

Maybe. I haven't played one in a while and I'm too lazy to look up photos. I just remember it being goofy.

#22 11 years ago

Personally, I hate the center post on any game. Might as well put rubber bands over the outlane entrances too.

#23 11 years ago

Remember the older Bally (I think) games that had the large plastic post that would pop-up between the flippers based on hitting some combination of achievements? What are some examples of those games?

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

Remember the older Bally (I think) games that had the large plastic post that would pop-up between the flippers based on hitting some combination of achievements? What are some examples of those games?

Big Guns system 11

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinwillie:

Big Guns system 11

Yeah, that's the one...I remember them being more prominent on the late EM, early SS games. Didn't realize they survived to system 11 era. Anything more recent than that still have one?

#26 11 years ago

6 Million Dollar Man has one of the large round pup up posts!

#27 11 years ago

Champion Pub and Family Guy both have a large post in the center that pops up. Also Harley Davidson had a player controlled post that popped up if you hit the other set of buttons.

#28 11 years ago

space shuttle has the large pop up post (heat shield) this this case.

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Does anyone know what the last game to have one is? I know WoF has one.

WOZ

#30 11 years ago

Sega's VND has the pop up post that is actuated for short times after certain shots or can be activated by player when lit with the launch button.
    Bill

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from playboywillis:

Oh I also noticed IM had a hole for it as well. Don't know if it comes with one or aftermarket option.

I heard these were installed for international markets? I don't know for sure...

Quoted from mojozone:

I like the FREDDY claw as well, for a save post.

It's a really cool idea until the blades break lol

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from accidental:

I recall reading something about how the (or a) European market required them and so many games found over there or reimported to the US will have them installed.

This is true. In the Uk this is known as a 'skill post'. Due to the fact that some pins (historically) were payout machines, pins in the UK were regarded as gambling machines. This meant that they had to comply with gambling laws and taxes. The introduction of the 'skill pin' (in the eyes of UK law) changes the game from one of chance/ gambling to one of skill, meaning that they are no longer classified as gambling machines. Bizarre, but true.

#33 11 years ago

Bobby Orr Power Play has a pop up "goal" post in the middle of the flippers. Hit a couple different targets pops it up, roll over some inlane switches and it retracts. My kids love it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-save-your-butt-post-and-what-games-it-belongs-on and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.