Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MattElder
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

73usqnthehpjw6g38f26hi775.500x500x1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ForceFlow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Iirc, stern should hold the licenses for “old” stern

That is usually the assumption, but is not actually the case. Current Stern does not own anything from Stern Electronics. Supposedly, Gary Stern's ex-wife owns it all, but I'm not sure if that's actually true or not or just a rumor that keeps getting recycled.

Quoted from gmkalos:

All I know is Planetary Pinball currently owns all Bally/Williams rights (WMS 1989-2000) I believe?

Quoted from gmkalos:

But still curious who own the rights to EM or early SS Bally or Williams

PPS licenses everything Bally/Williams since their beginning from Scientific Games, who owns all the rights.

Quoted from northvibe:

Does PBR have any license or do they just get approval to sell/distribute ?

See the various Gottlieb licensing details here: http://gottliebpin.com/history.html

Quoted from SDM0:

Who holds the rights to Data East if someone wanted to remake Tales from the Crypt?

Stern does. However, the license for the theme is usually for only 3-5 years. So, a new license for the theme would need to be negotiated with HBO before a game or parts (with TFTC assets on them) could be remade.

Quoted from SDM0:

What about the rights to old EMs - are any in the public domain yet?

Depending on copyright renewals on specific works, it's possible that the artwork for some games produced before 1964 may be in the public domain, especially for companies that went defunct before 1978. For companies that maintained their rights (Bally, Williams, Gottlieb), games released before 1978 are likely protected for 95 years after their release. So, for instance, artwork for a game released in 1965 might not be available in the public domain until 2060.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_law_of_the_United_States#Duration_of_copyright

That was bought up by Stern Electronics. So whomever owns Stern Electronics also owns Chicago Coin.

The company went defunct, and it's unclear.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-happened-to-game-plan

Quoted from gmkalos:

Allied Leisure

The company went bankrupt, was sold to an investment company in 1979, and was rebranded as Centuri. Centuri then later closed its game division in 1984, but continued with other pursuits. The video game assets were then auctioned off. I'm not sure who actually currently holds the rights.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from gmkalos:

Wow Planetary is way bigger than I thought! Do they own Capcom too or did that go to a company in Australia (rumored)?[quoted image]

IPB (Illinois Pinball) was the last known company to hold the rights, but what happened with Capcom rights after IPB folded is unclear (though the remaining stock of parts was acquired by PPS along with everything else from IPB).

Every time Rick (PPS) has been asked about Capcom rights, he has avoided answering the question. So, considering PPS is normally *very* clear on enforcing their Bally/Williams rights, PPS *probably* doesn't hold the rights to Capcom games and they didn't get transferred over from IPB.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from gmkalos:

Curious how Chicago Gaming was speculating on doing the BBB remake then and isn't Kingpin being remade now? I wonder if Gene is still in play?

Pinball Maximus is reverse engineering an existing example of Kingpin, and as far as I'm aware, they haven't been given documentation on the game from a particular rights holder. Documentation they have is from a purchase of materials from IPB, such as a large archive originally curated by Steve Kordek--a lot of which now resides with the Strong Museum in Rochester, NY.

https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2018/06/28/the-strong-acquires-pinball-archive/

I have no idea what Pinball Maximus is going to do about permissions for production. They have already made and sold a bunch of translites. Maybe they bought the Capcom rights from IPB? Who knows.

As for CGC, as far as I'm aware, that's just a rumor that had been circulating when people were speculating about possible remakes.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Would Atari pinball be under Williams, as they had bought them ?

Atari's pinball division was shut down.

The video game division was later split from Atari proper into Atari Games.

The history of a Atari is a bit convoluted as it got bought, sold, split apart, renamed, and changed hands a number of times.

However, at no time did Williams ever grab onto Atari. However, what I think you might be referencing is Steve Ritchie--he started at Atari, and eventually went to work at Williams.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

1996: Atari Games sold to WMS Industries (owners of the Williams, and Bally/Midway arcade brands).
    LTG : )

Doh, missed that one. I was looking for Williams & Bally, not WMS.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

Inder, Mr Game, Gameplan, etc. who gives a shit.

People who have those games and are in desperate need of parts.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ForceFlow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-right-to?tu=ForceFlow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.