3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 44 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 17 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

frolics-lights_(resized).jpg
    frolics-lights_(resized).jpg
    violet.jpg
    orange.jpg
    pink.jpg
    lightblue.jpg
    green.jpg
    darkblue.jpg
    indigo.jpg
    gameroom_droite2.jpg
    rgb1.jpg
    Screen_Shot_2015-12-26_at_12.13.50_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2015-12-26_at_12.12.31_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2015-12-26_at_12.13.30_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2015-12-26_at_12.13.16_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2015-12-26_at_12.13.02_PM_(resized).png

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

I posted this in the Show us your game room thread and wanted to move it here so this discussion wouldn't clutter up their thread.

I've been thinking about starting a new thread on game room lightning, specifically RGB LED strips that come on a roll and has a controller. Prices, and quality seem to range a lot.

I am in the market for two 20 foot long strips of RGB LED's with a controller to light my game room. All in one kits appeal to me more then the hardcore DIY'ers shopping list but also want to avoid the places selling them to high end customers to light up their yacht's at a 10x increase in price. I just want a good well thought out system/kit because they are all most likely coming over from China and it would be nice to know which ones are studs and which ones are duds, and which ones to avoid. Christmas is coming up and I'd like to wow my family coming over.

I have heard from some members that have installed a similar kits that had dimming issues where the end of the strip was much dimmer then the start near the "beefy" power supply. They said forget about daisy chaining using that particular kit as the dimming would be even worse and I dont want that.

I'm not really looking for one that does "crazy light shows" I just one that can hold one color or cycle through the whole RGB spectrum at various speeds and what not using a controller. Similar to what I have seem used in pinball back boxes or speakers.

Crazy kit

Simple kitrgb1.jpg

I had quite a few replies on that thread and wouldn't mind quoting them here to improve the thread if thats ok with you members.

#2 3 years ago

Looks awesome!

#3 3 years ago

Haha, i didnt even read the whole post, just posted on the run to follow the page since ill be doing a gameroom soon

#4 3 years ago

If you hook up more than one 16ft run, I think you need a repeater. I have one strip like you have pictured, bought it off eBay for like $10, works great. I actually put another above my kitchen cabinets, looks pretty nice, give great ambiance.

#5 3 years ago

On long runs of strip LEDs (10 ft or longer) I power from the middle to keep current drop down. Longer then 20 ft I power both ends and the middle.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from BigDan:

I have heard from some members that have installed a similar kits that had dimming issues where the end of the strip was much dimmer then the start near the "beefy" power supply. They said forget about daisy chaining using that particular kit as the dimming would be even worse and I dont want that.

Nothing to do with any particular kit or manufacturer, it's just physics. If you power a long chain from just one end you're going to have lower power at the other end. And because the red, green, and blue LEDs themselves have different power requirements (blue is highest) you're going to not just get a dimming, but a color shift towards red.

See GRUMPY's post above, that's the solution.

#7 3 years ago

Is it easy to power these kits from the middle, or is it a mod? Also is it just one of those RGB rolls. I need to run two 10 foot strips so I guess I will need two separate kits with two controllers or is there 1 kit with 1 remote that can handle 2 ten foot sections of color changing LED strips.

Links would be great.

#8 3 years ago

BigDan In the rgb1 pic that controller is not going to do more than 16 feet. It won't last very long if you do. There are higher output controllers on EBAY for @ 10.00. As for powering from the middle, you just remove a section of the waterproofing and solder on your 4 wires. That's all there is to it. I have never seen a kit with 20ft and a HD controller. I can barely type so finding and posting links is above my skills.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from BigDan:

Is it easy to power these kits from the middle, or is it a mod? Also is it just one of those RGB rolls. I need to run two 10 foot strips so I guess I will need two separate kits with two controllers or is there 1 kit with 1 remote that can handle 2 ten foot sections of color changing LED strips.
    Links would be great.

Already answered in the gameroom thread, Dream Magic are programmable LED's, you can cut every three LED's. (i first tried with normal 5050 LED's without the 6803 IC which can be set to many colors but no patterns, the 6803 IC makes it much more versatile)

The strips come in 16FT length (here is a link to some which shows how they interconnect when you need more length, and you see there is a power-plus on every roll so you can add power on various places with a normal power connector)
    ebay.com link » 5m Magic Dream Color 5050 Rgb 6803 Ic Ip67 Waterproof Led Strip Light 133 Ir

I run over 60 feet on one power supply 10A 12v (no loss at any color)

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from Thor-NL:

How many watts does that 60ft use? I need about 100ft.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

How many watts does that 60ft use? I need about 100ft

It changes depending on what color, brightness, how fast they are flashing, type of led and how many per foot.

#12 3 years ago

If i use multiple setups instead of stringing it all together, can it be controlled with one remote?

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

If i use multiple setups instead of stringing it all together, can it be controlled with one remote?

Maybe but I think it would look kinda weird.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from GRUMPY:

It changes depending on what color, brightness, how fast they are flashing, type of led and how many per foot.

If Thor had a Kill-A-Watt he could measure it and see what the actual watt and amp usage was.

#15 3 years ago

Well i have around 200ft that i would want to do. Seems like i would need more than o e outlet for that which would mean multiple remotes unless they can be ran off a single one

#16 3 years ago

i have about 60 fts 8A power supply, everything is hooked up to a dmx rgb box connected to a 8 channels dmx controller, i can do anything.

gameroom_droite2.jpg

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from beatmaster:

i have about 60 fts 8A power supply, everything is hooked up to a dmx rgb box connected to a 8 channels dmx controller, i can do anything.
    gameroom_droite2.jpg

Quoted from Thor-NL:

Already answered in the gameroom thread, Dream Magic are programmable LED's, you can cut every three LED's. (i first tried with normal 5050 LED's without the 6803 IC which can be set to many colors but no patterns, the 6803 IC makes it much more versatile)
    The strips come in 16FT length (here is a link to some which shows how they interconnect when you need more length, and you see there is a power-plus on every roll so you can add power on various places with a normal power connector)
    ebay.com link ยป 5m Magic Dream Color 5050 Rgb 6803 Ic Ip67 Waterproof Led Strip Light 133 Ir

The kits you posted were only 5 amps or less. Will I run into issues with a 5A or less power supply for powering these 2 10 foot strips or 20 total feet for my application (two 10 foot rafters in game room). I guess I can cut it down to 18 if it means getting one or two kits.

I searched and I couldn't find many if any 10 amp kits.

Thanks

#18 3 years ago

I want to put up crown molding and run LEDs in it. It will be about 60 ft continuous, what do I need?

#19 3 years ago

Wouldn't crown molding cover the strip?

Quoted from indy5mike:I want to put up crown molding and run LEDs in it. It will be about 60 ft continuous, what do I need?

#20 3 years ago

I have a ceiling like the OP at the top in my theater. Usually I keep them off but will put it on for certain things....(orange obviously if we are watching a UT game for example. It looks awesome.

Basically I'm posting this so I can get more ideas to do something in the gaming loft. So many possibilities.

#21 3 years ago

Thats gay " not there is anything wrong with that "

#23 3 years ago

Here is mine in action. 24v weatherproof with repeaters to sync it all together. Just took some random photos while it was on colour splash tonight. By no means is this the range of what it can do, it gives a decent representation of what it looks like though.

Its 8m (26') between the walls but it lights the whole room. The strip is hidden in my shadow line, not sure what that is called elsewhere in the world, but basically a gap at the edges of the ceiling.

edit: I'm running about 45m (148') of LEDs here, using 4 x 200W power supplies, 3 repeaters, and 1 controller.

indigo.jpg
    darkblue.jpg
    green.jpg
    lightblue.jpg
    pink.jpg
    orange.jpg
    violet.jpg

#24 3 years ago

Does it matter whether repeater is 12v or 24v if you are connecting 5m runs?

#25 3 years ago

Mine is over 90' long. I went with 120v. This way I could get one single strand and it plugs right into a wall outlet I had installed behind the Moulding and controlled by a standard wall dimmer. But, I only wanted one single color, WW. The RGBs do get costly though.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

If Thor had a Kill-A-Watt he could measure it and see what the actual watt and amp usage was.

Unfortunatly i don't have that. I think the 10A is overkill, but better some extra amp's then dimming leds on the end of you strings

#27 3 years ago

I pick up the 5 meter rolls from Tmart.com. I haven't tried daisy chaining them (although the Chinglish instructions seem to indicate that you can chain 3 -5 of them together). I had two sets going and the one remote ran both sets.

ken

#28 3 years ago

I wish these RGB strips were capable of UV or if they sold a strip where every other LED is a UV one.

UV dreams aside would this work for me?

IP67 RGB 5050 waterproof LED strip + remote control + power 100-230V AC 1m- 100m ebay.com link

#29 3 years ago

Does this have to go all the way around the room to complete the circuit, or can you only do part of a room?

#30 3 years ago

I had 3 black Light strips Daisy chained together in my old house with no problems. I have to get my new gameroom set up still. Amkoepfer and I can get together and collaborate.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from Allibaster:

Does this have to go all the way around the room to complete the circuit, or can you only do part of a room?

no, cut to the length you need.

#32 3 years ago

Good idea howie. My gameroom build is finally underway. Hoping to be done enough by monday to get the games back in. Hows your new house coming?

#33 3 years ago

Working on the rest of the house right now. We will try to get the gameroom laid out next week. I have a coved ceiling, so these rgb strips should work well.

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Wouldn't crown molding cover the strip?

No it wouldn't, you put up the crown and leave about 6 inches above it so it so the light gets out but the crown hides the strip. Most of my house is done this way but all have rope lights in them not LED's.

#35 3 years ago
    #36 3 years ago

I'm looking to do an RGB+White or RGB+Warm White strip from my room.

Any comments on doing the white or the warm white??

#37 3 years ago

Here's what I decided on. I need about 42' to do about 3/4 of a game room. Decided to go with a warm white in addition to the RGB. I like the crazy lights controller, but I figured I'd never use all the features other than to show off the system. The controller I selected has a couple basic programs, but I'll use it for solid colors.

Everything is $88.01 shipped (mostly from China).

Screen_Shot_2015-12-26_at_12.13.50_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2015-12-26_at_12.12.31_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2015-12-26_at_12.13.30_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2015-12-26_at_12.13.16_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2015-12-26_at_12.13.02_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2015-12-26_at_12.12.47_PM_(resized).png

#38 3 years ago

I found some nice led multifunction strips at Costco. The kit is $40 for 28 feet. I put up a kit on one side of my new gameroom and like it a lot already.

#39 3 years ago

Anyone else having bad luck with 12v power supplies failing? I've had to replace at least 2 of them. I have repeaters for each roll. I probably need to quit buying them from Amazon

#40 3 years ago

Dumb question for anyone...

if my circuit breakers are 15 amp service, and the power supplies are 6amp, 12 volt... how many led power supplies can I have on a circuit?

Unless I misunderstand, 3 of these power supplies and I'm already maxed out for the circuit, and shouldn't put any pinballs on it, but that doesn't seem right? Could someone give me a basic electric understanding on that?

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

if my circuit breakers are 15 amp service, and the power supplies are 6amp, 12 volt... how many led power supplies can I have on a circuit?

As many as 25. I wouldn't if I were you. Limit yourself to 16-18 and you will be fine.

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

Anyone else having bad luck with 12v power supplies failing? I've had to replace at least 2 of them. I have repeaters for each roll.

Do you have seperate power supplies for each roll?

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from GRUMPY:

As many as 25. I wouldn't if I were you. Limit yourself to 16-18 and you will be fine.

Right now I have 3 power supplies (6amp 12 volt) powering my led strings.. plus some pinballs.

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Right now I have 3 power supplies

Quoted from frolic:

plus some pinballs

6x12=72 watts x 3 P/S = 216 watts.
    3 pins @ 3 amps x 120volts = 1080 watts.
    216 + 1080 = 1296 total watts.
    15 amp circuit 15 x 120 = 1800 watts available.
    Should be no problem. If you have leds in the pins even better.

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from GRUMPY:

Do you have seperate power supplies for each roll?

Sorry, yes. One power supply per repeater.

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

One power supply per repeater.

This shouldn't be a problem if you are using 6 amp P/S. Don't use anything smaller for a 5 meter roll.

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from GRUMPY:

6x12=72 watts x 3 P/S = 216 watts.
    3 pins @ 3 amps x 120volts = 1080 watts.
    216 + 1080 = 1296 total watts.
    15 amp circuit 15 x 120 = 1800 watts available.
    Should be no problem. If you have leds in the pins even better.

Thanks. I had wondered about the math.

#48 3 years ago

I went with RGBW LED strips. They add cool white or warm white LEDs between the RGB LEDs so you can get a pure white. The white created with RGB only isn't very bright or white...

I used this kit on Amazon. Working great. it includes a 5A power supply and controller in each kit - $27 amazon.com link »

I also picked up some of these to couple multiple kits together - $10 amazon.com link »

I used this for extension wires - $7 amazon.com link »

These parts have been reliable so far over the 3 months I have been using them

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from hlaj78:

I found some nice led multifunction strips at Costco. The kit is $40 for 28 feet. I put up a kit on one side of my new gameroom and like it a lot already.

I picked up two of those at Costco, but haven't had a chance to do anything with them yet. (Aside from taking one out of the box to see what it could do.)

#50 3 years ago

Also, I recommend soldering the connections if you are at all capable. The crimp on connectors for LED strips are typically poor quality and result in an unreliable connection over time. Get some heat shrink tubing (I think I used 1/2") to put over your soldered connections.

Also, do not run the ribbon cable wire over long distances. The small gauge wire used in the ribbon cable will result in a voltage drop if run too far. Put the controller or booster close (within inches, if possible) to the LED strips and run the DC power wires the long distance using 18ga wire or bigger (speaker wire is a cheap source for long runs of 14 - 18 ga wire). Better yet is to also place the power supplies close to the controller and run longer AC power cords to the power supplies.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Apparel - Men
    Pinside Shop
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 119.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 19.00
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 7.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.00
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 239.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    $ 84.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 17.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    BK Pinball
    $ 9.50
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside