Dev1 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Sans Battery (resized).jpg
Dead MoFo (resized).jpg
Copernicus (resized).jpg
Interior (resized).jpg
MacWorld Pro Mouse 2 (resized).png
MacWorld Pro Mouse 1 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zombywoof.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

A few of us have recently posted pictures of vintage Macintosh computers over in the Favorite Toys thread. That has me thinking that there may be enough interest for a dedicated Retro Apple Tech thread. So this will be the place for all things Apple: computers, peripherals, swag and what have you.

I’ve amassed quite a collection of Apple ephemera over the decades, so I will kick this off with a few quick posts.

I’ll lead with a repost of the images I first posted over in the Toys thread.

Presenting the Macintosh Portable, aka the Lugable. Weighing in at 16 lbs, this model shipped from September 1989 to October 1991. The list price was a whopping $6500 for the 1.44 MB floppy drive only edition, and $7300 with the optional 40 MB hard drive. Add in the backlit display option and you could get close to the $10k mark, for what was really a pretty underpowered and only somewhat “portable” Mac.

One neat feature for all you southpaws is that you can pop out the trackball unit, shift the keyboard over, and place the trackball on the left.

Mac Portables (resized).pngMac Portables (resized).png

Mac Portable Service (resized).pngMac Portable Service (resized).png

#2 2 years ago

Back in the late 90s I decided I would give one of my vintage Macs some 60s era art vibes. The first shot shows the work in progress. The unpainted areas ultimately got painted with the day-glow blue paint seen in the picture.

Unfortunately, the acrylics I used were not the best option. The blue had all but flaked off within a month. Over the ensuing years, so did the orange. The following shot is how this poor Mac Classic sits today.

Painting the Mac Classic (resized).pngPainting the Mac Classic (resized).png

Mac Classic Today (resized).pngMac Classic Today (resized).png

#3 2 years ago

When Apple was shipping Power Macintosh computers based on the PowerPC RISC architecture, they used to poke fun at how well they out performed Intel’s Pentium class processors. The ‘Toasted’ poster below is just one example. I also have one with a Pentium 4 pictured on the back of a snail.

Fast forward to 2005, and Steve Jobs announced that the Mac platform was going to transition to Intel x86 processors.

I initially felt a little betrayed by the change. When Mac OS X Tiger, the first x86 ready version of the operating system was released, I mocked up this poster as a form of protest.

Toasted (resized).pngToasted (resized).png

Intel Infection (resized).pngIntel Infection (resized).png

#6 2 years ago

Here's a Mac Plus booted from Steve Capps’ early Mac game, "Through the Looking Glass". It was the only video game Apple had published up to that time. Note the Finder version 1.1g, circa 1984.

Mac Plus (resized).pngMac Plus (resized).png

#8 2 years ago

IIe Tutorial Front (resized).pngIIe Tutorial Front (resized).png

IIe Tutorial Back (resized).pngIIe Tutorial Back (resized).png

Atari IIe (resized).pngAtari IIe (resized).png

#9 2 years ago

On this day in 1984...

#11 2 years ago

Here's a random assortment of swag. Much of this came from vendor booths at various MacWorld Expos. The small OS X logo items at the top are actually temporary tattoos.

Apple Swag (resized).pngApple Swag (resized).png

#12 2 years ago

The venerable ImageWriter II, 1985-1996. Built like a tank, this dot matrix printer was compatible with the Apple II, Apple IIGS, Apple III, Lisa, and Macintosh computers. Many were still in service well into the 2000s.

ImageWriter II (resized).pngImageWriter II (resized).png

#13 2 years ago

Before the Macintosh, Apple had released the Lisa, which was among the first computers to use a mouse and feature a graphical user interface. Unlike the Mac, the Lisa was targeted primarily at business users. In support of that goal, Apple released the Lisa Office System, later rebranded as Lisa 7/7 (after the number of applications included). This was years before the release of Microsoft Office.

Among the rarest items in my assortment, I have NOS editions of both the Lisa Office System and Lisa 7/7.

1_Lisa (resized).png1_Lisa (resized).png

2_Lisa (resized).png2_Lisa (resized).png

3_Lisa (resized).png3_Lisa (resized).png

4_Lisa (resized).png4_Lisa (resized).png

5_Lisa (resized).png5_Lisa (resized).png

#14 2 years ago

With the Macintosh announcement the following year, the expensive Lisa was not deemed a sales success, although most acclaim the technical achievements.

6_Lisa (resized).png6_Lisa (resized).png

7_Lisa (resized).png7_Lisa (resized).png

8_Lisa (resized).png8_Lisa (resized).png

9_Lisa (resized).png9_Lisa (resized).png

#15 2 years ago

The Video Spigot was an early NuBus expansion card used for digitizing video, so early that it shipped with the pre-release .8 beta version of QuickTime. The "high resolution" compression setting produced QuickTime files at just 320x240. I still have it installed in my Quadra 650.

VideoSpigot (resized).pngVideoSpigot (resized).png

5 months later
#17 1 year ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

Back in the late 90s I decided I would give one of my vintage Macs some 60s era art vibes. The first shot shows the work in progress. The unpainted areas ultimately got painted with the day-glow blue paint seen in the picture.
Unfortunately, the acrylics I used were not the best option. The blue had all but flaked off within a month. Over the ensuing years, so did the orange. The following shot is how this poor Mac Classic sits today.

Apple released the Flower Power edition toward the end of the CRT based iMac run. I guess I was ahead of my time.

Flower Power iMac (resized).pngFlower Power iMac (resized).png

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

I had the Indigo colored version of the same machine.

I first met my wife when I set up a grape iMac for her. She opted for the lifetime support plan.

#20 1 year ago

At the end of his keynote speech at the 2000 Macworld Expo, Steve Jobs let loose with one of his famous "wait, there's one more thing". It turned out that there was an Apple Pro Optical Mouse (which had just been announced) fixed to the bottom of all of the audience members’ seats.

MacWorld Pro Mouse 1 (resized).pngMacWorld Pro Mouse 1 (resized).png
MacWorld Pro Mouse 2 (resized).pngMacWorld Pro Mouse 2 (resized).png

11 months later
#25 9 months ago
Quoted from Jazman:

Used it for 4-5 years before switching to PCs...

That’s the sacrilegious part.

#26 9 months ago

Bumping the thread to show off my latest project. My recently acquired Retina Macbook Pro

Nice overhaul!

#27 9 months ago

Here's an early dev guide from before the official Mac OS X release, circa 2000.

Dev1 (resized).pngDev1 (resized).png

Dev2.pmg (resized).pngDev2.pmg (resized).png

#29 9 months ago

At least you can Run Windoze on a Mac. ( Hate to admit, I almost thought about putting Windows 10 on the newer Macbook Pro, but I decided I had better use for the storage on the NVMe).

That's not so easy anymore with Apple Silicon. You need to get the Windows ARM 64 build, which is still far from feature complete.

#32 9 months ago

Not a problem for me. I intend to stay away from the Silicon models until they improve the designs on the majority of them! seems like the only one they got right is the Mac Mini.

The M2 Mini with adequate RAM is quite capable. I've deployed over 50 of the M2 Max MacBook Pros (provisioned another one earlier today), and it is easily the most capable portable Apple has ever delivered. My only complaint might be the added weight, but that is easily offset by the performance and additional ports compared to the previous Intel models. The M2 MacBook Air is also a very good value.

2 months later
#33 7 months ago

I was digging around in a closet earlier and came across some random stuff that made me think of this thread. So here's to the necro-bump!

If you recognize the contents of this box, you were probably a Mac-tech in the 90s, or a very serious MacGeek!

Assorted cable box (resized).pngAssorted cable box (resized).png

I also found this guy.

Asante?Print (resized).pngAsante?Print (resized).png

And this, my last dial up modem.

GV Teleport 56k (resized).pngGV Teleport 56k (resized).png

I also had the Global Village 33.6 and 14.4 models prior to this one. My first modem was probably the Apple Personal Modem. I still have it somewhere around here. It was 1200/300 bps (yes, that's baud). This is not my picture, but I include it for reference.

Apple Personal Modem (resized).jpgApple Personal Modem (resized).jpg

#34 7 months ago

This may well have been the first iPod sold in Virginia. I pulled it well before the official launch. I gave it to my then fiancé (now and still my bride) for Christmas that year. To be honest, the iPod was initially a slow burn. Sales did not pick up until several months after launch.

OG iPod (resized).pngOG iPod (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zombywoof.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-retro-apple-garage?tu=zombywoof and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.