(Topic ID: 186647)

THE Reason why (I think) Ghostbusters sucks....

By xyntec

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Anyone agrees?”

• Yes 103 votes
    35%
  • No 137 votes
    46%
  • Waiting for a code update 30 votes
    10%
  • No Opinion 26 votes
    9%

(296 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
Peewee (resized).jpg
20170515_152643 (resized).jpg
new_Ghostbusters_LOGO_by_johnnysparks (resized).jpg
20170514_115219 (resized).jpg
20161024_191722 (resized).jpg
20170204_212146 (resized).jpg
boom-2028563_960_720 (resized).png
IMG_3066 (resized).JPG
IMG_3065 (resized).JPG
monkey_poo_for_you_pt6_by_jays_doodles (resized).jpg
IMG_1279 (resized).JPG
IMG_3067 (resized).JPG
IMG_3066 (resized).JPG
IMG_3065 (resized).JPG
IMG_3062 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rob_g.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from xyntec:

First of all I’m not a big fan of linear modes, it gets pretty annoying sometimes to do the same mode over and over just to get progress, and I know I probably should get better, but since my accuracy of shots isn’t the greatest, I have (plenty of) games where I did not even finish 1 mode, yeah I know, I’m probably terrible at pinball….

It's not the linearity of the scenes, but the first scenes are just too simple. There's no incentive to play them other than just to get to the next scene. The awarded points are always the same and how well (or poorly) you do has no effect on anything else. That's the big thing wrong with the scenes IMHO. Later scenes have more scoring opportunities and score higher which makes them more fun, but they still have no purpose other than just getting to WCWS which is a very shallow mini wizard mode.

Quoted from xyntec:

The skill shot in my opinion is way too important, if you don’t make it, you have to make a lot of shots just to be able to start any mode at all, and since the ball a lot of times just doesn’t make it around (it either hits puff, slams into the backboard, or rattles around and ends up in the pop bumpers, so the best opportunity is too make a soft plunge and hope that the ball does not just goes STDM.

If you can't qualify the scenes, you need to play better. Scene qualification has been dumbed down since the first code release so only 1 hit of the ghost target brings slimer out. Hit him 2 or 3 times and the scenes are lit. That's not a lot of shots. The real problem I think with the skill shots is that a few are not worth going for - ever. Mainly, the 'add 3 million to super jackpot' is the worst one. I think the skill shots should time out on the lower playfield too.

Quoted from xyntec:

But what annoys me most is all the modes that run together, and again, on the Pro this is somewhat less annoying or sometimes even good, but eg when you start SFMB, almost always ‘loopin supers’ start, and thus this mode is pretty much lost, because shooting the ramp is almost impossible during SFMB, either scolari or slimmer is blocking the ramp (or both) and on top of that, every time the ball enters the inlane, the flashers in front of the slings start to blind you.
The other way around it is pretty much the same, you start loopin supers and most of the time SFMB is lit, so you can just make one shot and that’s it. It’s better just to drain all but 1 ball and forget about SFMB so you can get on with loopin supers….

I completely agree. There are reasons this happens which I have discussed with Dwight. I hope it gets eventually tweaked.

Quoted from xyntec:

When you do reach any of the ladders and you get to WCWS, most of the times also MHMB starts and thus just fucks up your WCWS. I really like the idea of having the flippers reversed, but why not just keep it like that during the whole mode?? It’s really funny when you play with your friends and you have to flip your hands during this multiball, but when it’s just changing all the time, everyone is just flipping both hands all the time like a small child and waiting for the mode to be over. It could have been an exciting mode….

I don't mind the stacking, but the lack of purpose to these different modes is what disappoints me. So the flippers reverse in MHMB, is that it? So each shot scores several million points in WCWS, what else is there? Stacking modes together is what makes them somewhat fun right now.

Rob

2 weeks later
#106 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Nah, I have my issues with it too. Some code, some design.
The single biggest problem is lack of ball control.

I disagree. Why do you have that problem, because I sure don't.

Rob

#154 6 years ago

Sometimes I think the balance between a game 'sucking' or not can be as simple as a few tweaks here and there. Some to scoring and others to rules. I think GB falls into the category where I think a few tweaks will go a long way to making the game better. And if some of those tweaks involve adding more difficulty settings to the menus, I think that would be excellent! I don't think GB sucks and I really don't think it needs more content than what it has, but it still could use a few tweaks and bug fixes.

Rob

1 week later
#192 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

...but imagine if Shadow made you play the "Farley" mode first every single time before you could play other modes....or if you had to do a ton of shit in order before you could ever see the Battlefield (basically ensuring you'll never see it). That's the dif.

You always have a choice between 3 different scenes, unless a ladder is completed or your end shot starts the next scene. So you analogy holds little weight to it.

Rob

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rob_g.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-reason-why-i-think-ghostbusters-sucks?tu=rob_g and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.