(Topic ID: 186647)

THE Reason why (I think) Ghostbusters sucks....

By xyntec

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Anyone agrees?”

• Yes 103 votes
    35%
  • No 137 votes
    46%
  • Waiting for a code update 30 votes
    10%
  • No Opinion 26 votes
    9%

(296 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
Peewee (resized).jpg
20170515_152643 (resized).jpg
new_Ghostbusters_LOGO_by_johnnysparks (resized).jpg
20170514_115219 (resized).jpg
20161024_191722 (resized).jpg
20170204_212146 (resized).jpg
boom-2028563_960_720 (resized).png
IMG_3066 (resized).JPG
IMG_3065 (resized).JPG
monkey_poo_for_you_pt6_by_jays_doodles (resized).jpg
IMG_1279 (resized).JPG
IMG_3067 (resized).JPG
IMG_3066 (resized).JPG
IMG_3065 (resized).JPG
IMG_3062 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hawke.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#173 6 years ago

Hey Everyone,

I'm a brand new pinball player. I started playing pinball when Ghostbusters (pro) hit my local scene (yes that new). Pinball completely skipped my generation as I was a video game / pc / basement kid (and always will be). Pinball provided this incredible difficulty that video games weren't able to provide (I can murder any machine on Pinball arcade.. billions easy, it's the same physics) but the physical nature, real world / rule set of an actual machine? Nothing beats it. This is where Ghostbusters comes in. (I bought a premium... There was just something about it that no other pinball machines had, it almost called to me - TZ did the same thing...)

As a "gamer" Ghostbusters - Premium is the hardest challenge I have ever experienced trying to get to the next level. Yes, I understand I'm still only about a year in and my skills aren't perfect but honestly, Ghostbusters makes me a better player. I'll put in 5-10 games of Ghostbusters in (while wanting to set it on fire by the way) then go out to my local pubs, arcades etc and play the "other" machines. What I started to realize is I could hit shots so much better and get higher scores incrementally, more an more I played. It was almost as if this machine was literally training me in the hardest way possible.

I may be too new school to say this but this is the only pinball machine that fights you back. Just like a video game would. When you bring that kind of "hard" into the physical world it's a brand new high I have yet to come across yet. I feel as though Ghostbusters is the next level in pinball, not so much a discussion, as it is an "evolve or perish."

I've also never seen a pinball machine yet that goes from Pro to Premium that are completely different games. I have done nothing to mine (factory settings all the way) and those mag slings are pure punishment. Maybe I'm a masochist? I don't know but I also don't understand a lot of people complaints about it. I think there has been a lot of posts that touched on these points that can be summed up as such:

- If you don't like it don't play it.
- Don't disregard a machine in the "ether" of pinball just because you aren't good at it. (In the gaming world you're a what we call a "N00b")
- Ghostbusters is still doing code updates don't forget (and in my opinion have gotten better each update - PLEASE DWIGHT... It's not done yet)
- All that talk of "Ghostbusters will drop out of the top 50 in the next 6 months" sounds elitist as hell.

----------------------------------------------

At the end of the day this game really symbolizes the next step in doing what Pinball 2000 couldn't do. It's the perfect time for pinball's evolution and I feel as though this machine (with a few more code updates) will fly that flag high.

"Adapt or Die"

hawke

--------- funny, true quote below -------------

https://www.facebook.com/sternpinball/videos/10154237649154244/

"Everything about this game has the potential to be the best game ever and right now I'm extremely nervous because only the software can fuck it up." - Dwight Sullivan

#176 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

N00b.

18 years ago Revenge From Mars did PERFECTLY what GB failed to do with the Ecto Goggles: Animated "holograms" that meaninfully interact with the ball.

You're new to pinball, and you're calling GB an evolution!?! You need to play more games. Not saying that as an insult...but seriously, you need to play more games. There's zero in GB that's "evolutionary"....and it barely does well what 100's of games have done better.

AC/DC, Transformers, GOT, etc...plenty of games that are quite different from Pro to Prem/LE.

Welcome to pinball. Hoping for code updates doesn't mean they'll happen. Plenty of Stern games are still waiting for updates...the only ones that always make the cut are Lyman games...unfortunately he's stuck on B66 for who knows how long.

Yes, that's called POOR DESIGN lol

Play Iron Man. That fights you back legitimately through fun design. GB isn't fighting back, it's just being an a-hole.

I live in Toronto. Probably the greatest pinball scene in Canada (Thanks to the hard work of City Pinball). The games get switched out regularly. All of the games you mentioned I have played at length, currently my home barcade has this lineup side by side. Quite a good stroll through pinball's evolution. I'm very lucky to have access to machines like this all year long.

Twilight Zone
Attack from Mars
White Water
Metallica
Batman 66
Bram Stoker's Dracula
AC / DC Pro
Stern's Meteor.

In the past year I've been studying and playing almost every day so I feel as though I'm caught up (I also own a Shadow... Not many people have finished final battle on that either...) I understand your comments (and humor actually) but I really feel as though Ghostbusters is the next step, or in time a really good study on pinball design (good or bad). At the moment I feel as though it'll be a fan favorite for years to come.

#178 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I'd be lying if I said I didn't have days where I want to just sell my Ghostbusters LE or just throw it out the window.

Often when I get to that, I have this strange saying that pops into my head.

"I want to drag it outside and set it on fire, just to prove a point."

#181 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

...but imagine if Shadow made you play the "Farley" mode first every single time before you could play other modes....or if you had to do a ton of shit in order before you could ever see the Battlefield (basically ensuring you'll never see it). That's the dif.

For shadow that would be frustrating and you do have a point BUT the shadow also has a game defining flaw. You literally don't need to do anything in the game except shoot loops for combos... All other modes literally get in your way from a high score (minus stacking multiballs if you wanted to). What would you say to something like that compared to ghostbusters? At least it's spread out.

#184 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

What is that step though? I mean that's cool that you dig it and all - but I'm not seeing anything on GB that's evolutionary. It's got magnets. Tons of games have magnets (used to better effect IMO). It's got a dangly thing to hit - so does BDK/B66 and Junkyard, again - to better effect. It's got a hologram that doesn't do much. RFM did that better. It's got a "rollercoaster" type of ramp. Whitewater did that. Back and forth captive balls - tons of games have done that. Playfields drop targets - again, tons of games have done it.
Where's the evolution? It's a game like any other game...

...see, you like the game and STILL feel that way. That's telling. That means you get where I'm coming from. No other game gives me that feeling. There are hard and challenging games that make me go "OOHHHH, you bastard - lets go again!!!" Bit drag it outside to set on fire? That's something else. That's anti-fun.

Of course I'm being extremely dramatic with that quote and completely understand where you're coming from. Me needing to walk away from a pin is usually the fire quote, the first 100 times is the "OOHHHH, you bastard - lets go again!!!" I think if you combine both of our opinions on it, there is nothing else that needs to be said for GB

#185 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That's tourney logic - I don't play games that way. But even if I did - that's my choice to make. GB doesn't really give you choices. You're restricted to linear ladders and that's that.

Agreed but if you were to do tourney logic, it's easy pease. Right lane ladder all day, stack multipliers to stay puft and watch the game EXPLODE (great feeling when it happens too... never gets old)

#231 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Bro, how F'ing THICK are you!?!? I DON'T CARE if you don't like a game! Just don't LIE about it! If you think it's boring, cool. If you think it's linear - you don't understand the concept of linear modes in pinball.

Once again - YOU'RE ENTITLED TO YOUR OPINION.
Downvote for NOT READING & being obsessed with downvotes. Constantly writing that you care about downvotes is the sure way to get downvotes lol

super confused dude, you owned a GB got a Hobbit and are happy with a Hobbit.

- We know the bad and good for GB
- We like it anyway
- your job is done, thank you for your passion, assistance and time. Your tour of Duty is over. *pinball salute*

#235 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

No, I pre-ordered GB, played it a ton on location before it was delivered...and the combination of hating it & playfield issues caused me to cancel before delivery.

You.
I love when people post on a forum to tell people they should be doing something else besides posting on a forum.

Apologies, you had it on pre-order... Aside from that detail my statement still stands (probably for everyone too)

#241 6 years ago
Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

Name calling now? People who like GB (awesome game) and defend against you repeatedly calling it cheap etc are now GB cultists. Good to know.

Yes Brother Hawkeye, we must retreat to the basement to play our daily offering to the lord GB. If not god Gozer will be upset with us.

*hold's hawkeye's hand and retreats downstairs holding candles*

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

15,699 (OBO)
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.95
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hawke.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-reason-why-i-think-ghostbusters-sucks?tu=hawke and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.