(Topic ID: 186647)

THE Reason why (I think) Ghostbusters sucks....

By xyntec

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Anyone agrees?”

• Yes 103 votes
    35%
  • No 137 votes
    46%
  • Waiting for a code update 30 votes
    10%
  • No Opinion 26 votes
    9%

(296 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
Peewee (resized).jpg
20170515_152643 (resized).jpg
new_Ghostbusters_LOGO_by_johnnysparks (resized).jpg
20170514_115219 (resized).jpg
20161024_191722 (resized).jpg
20170204_212146 (resized).jpg
boom-2028563_960_720 (resized).png
IMG_3066 (resized).JPG
IMG_3065 (resized).JPG
monkey_poo_for_you_pt6_by_jays_doodles (resized).jpg
IMG_1279 (resized).JPG
IMG_3067 (resized).JPG
IMG_3066 (resized).JPG
IMG_3065 (resized).JPG
IMG_3062 (resized).JPG

There are 274 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 6 years ago

The game looks amazing, has lots of toys, I love the shots (although some are pretty difficult), the callouts, the music, the light show etc etc, so why does it suck?
Well…basically software. And a lot of people might not agree, and I am talking only about the Premium/LE version, because the Pro version plays a lot different in many ways.

First of all I’m not a big fan of linear modes, it gets pretty annoying sometimes to do the same mode over and over just to get progress, and I know I probably should get better, but since my accuracy of shots isn’t the greatest, I have (plenty of) games where I did not even finish 1 mode, yeah I know, I’m probably terrible at pinball….

The skill shot in my opinion is way too important, if you don’t make it, you have to make a lot of shots just to be able to start any mode at all, and since the ball a lot of times just doesn’t make it around (it either hits puff, slams into the backboard, or rattles around and ends up in the pop bumpers, so the best opportunity is too make a soft plunge and hope that the ball does not just goes STDM.

But what annoys me most is all the modes that run together, and again, on the Pro this is somewhat less annoying or sometimes even good, but eg when you start SFMB, almost always ‘loopin supers’ start, and thus this mode is pretty much lost, because shooting the ramp is almost impossible during SFMB, either scolari or slimmer is blocking the ramp (or both) and on top of that, every time the ball enters the inlane, the flashers in front of the slings start to blind you.
The other way around it is pretty much the same, you start loopin supers and most of the time SFMB is lit, so you can just make one shot and that’s it. It’s better just to drain all but 1 ball and forget about SFMB so you can get on with loopin supers….

Of course you can hit the captive ball a couple of times to make sure you start SFMB before you reach 60 ghosts, but with the dangerous outlanes or for that matter inlanes hopping over to the outlanes, and the dangerous magnet slings sometimes activating, sometimes not, or just throwing the ball STDM or in the outlanes, I prefer to make safer shots….are there any?? Missing the ramp or orbits most of the time results in hitting a target and thus STDM or outlane or just flying somewhere else and drain, the right ramp even with a perfect shot 90% of the times the ball just makes it to the top (where the rivets are) and then just rolls back and of course STDM and so on.

When you do reach any of the ladders and you get to WCWS, most of the times also MHMB starts and thus just fucks up your WCWS. I really like the idea of having the flippers reversed, but why not just keep it like that during the whole mode?? It’s really funny when you play with your friends and you have to flip your hands during this multiball, but when it’s just changing all the time, everyone is just flipping both hands all the time like a small child and waiting for the mode to be over. It could have been an exciting mode….

So basically if I could make one request, DO NOT STACK THESE MODES!! Just block MHMB and WCWS from running together and also SFMB and LS. And to not step on anyone’s toes, make it an option in the settings so one can choose. (of course a regular mode is always nice to have running when in a MB)

Now it’s just a frustrating game, and even though I like tough games a lot, eg Iron Man or Bram Stokers Dracula also punish you when you miss a shot, but strange enough these games are so addictive that you just keep on trying, the Ghostbusters I just switch off after a couple of games and don’t play it any more for days.
If I invite friends who don’t play pinball at all, first thing they do is walk directly up to the Ghostbusters to start playing, but after a couple of games they already abandon it for getting no progress at all and such short ball time, and in the end they playing all pins except the ghostbusters, which is actually pretty sad for such a beautiful and potential pinball machine….

Just my opinion….

#2 6 years ago

Just keep practicing you'll learn where to shoot and where not to shoot. Although the pro does play easier than the premium/Le. But not by much. The one thing that makes this game difficult for me is the gap in the flippers. Longer flipper bats can be substituted to increase gameplay time. Also decreasing STDM. The classic Trudeau outlanes definitely increase ball drains. Mass hysteria multi-ball is crazy, it's supposed to be chaotic. The flippers can be reversed skillfully by hitting the right side trapped ball. I've had a couple good games on GB but for the most part it eats me alive.

#3 6 years ago

You need to replace the 2" hex standoff on the right ramp with a 1 5/8" part. I hit 5 in a row yesterday, what a rush.

I agree that the opening skill shot is annoying. All modes should be lit at the start of game. MH is tough, I think Slimer should sweep all the way left and right and not just hover in front of the ramp. I like the challenge of LS with arms crossed but Slimer is too much in the way.

I also frequently get stuck trying to finish Ballroom. It doesn't completely save progression. In the last phase you have to hit the left orbit and the right ramp in the allotted time. If you drain, it will keep the mode active (as per the adjustments option) but resets the shots and does not reset the mode tiner. So new ball, and you've got 7 seconds to hit *both* shots. Drives me crazy and my game typically ends here unless I bail and pick a different ladder.

All that said the game is a blast and it just needs some tweeks to remove some of the annoying aspects of it. I wouldn't say it sucks though, it's mostly super fun, but only with some hardware changes to "fix" it. Some relatively easy software changes can make a big difference so hopefully we'll get a final code polish.

#4 6 years ago

I've been borrowing a friends GB LE for the past few months and agree with most of these criticisms. I love the theme and the art but the game itself can be a chore to play. I really hope some of these software issues are addressed

#5 6 years ago

My games typically are short but fun. I don't own it, so it's new to me. I went and played one this weekend that had the center post and that made a huge difference. Actually, it was set up far to easy. I played one game on it and nearly got to stay puff. Had mass hysteria twice in one game. He did have it on 5 ball, and after ball 4 played, I walked away done. I thought I really wanted this game, but I'm on the fence now. I still like it, but not sure about owning it.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I really hope some of these software issues are addressed

Hahahahaha. Hold on let me sit down and think about this. Stern. Software issues addressed. Hahahahahahahaha. Good one.

#7 6 years ago

I was a loyal follower of GB from well before it was announced. It was my dream theme machine. Lol

I ordered the LE as soon as it was announced. I agree the game looks amazing. My playfield, no issues. Colours great, toys well integrated and plentiful. Cabinet and green rails beautiful along with the translite art.

However as many have said about many other games, you don't play the art. After 7 months or so I just have not been able to love the game. Most of the ops comments I agree with. You can have a regular multiball along with WCWS and when MHMB starts it ruins the whole party. Just really poorly done. It was said months ago that the code is finished. I believe this to be true and aside from a few bug fixes Stern will let this one ride on the theme alone without further code development.

I completed all mode ladders as well as WRTBY. It is lackluster still. The modes just go through the same linear action again and the final "wizard mode" is nothing special at all.

The code has ruined this game and even if they do add some things (which they could) it won't change the boring progress of starting one mode at a time and playing mainly those same first few modes again and again and again. Even getting through all those modes, at the end there is no reward for finishing them.

Sold my GBLE for $1000+ less than what I had into it. Could have sold it for more but really felt the next owner is getting ripped off for the money to spend on such a narrow and poorly done code. Stern should be ashamed on this one. i am sure others can still love it but I am one who wanted it so bad and wanted to love it and keep it forever but it just hurt too much to hear "ok who brought the dog" again... bye bye GBLE

IMG_3062 (resized).JPGIMG_3062 (resized).JPG

IMG_3065 (resized).JPGIMG_3065 (resized).JPG

IMG_3066 (resized).JPGIMG_3066 (resized).JPG

IMG_3067 (resized).JPGIMG_3067 (resized).JPG

#8 6 years ago

I owned a GB pro for about nine months before selling. For me, the stacking wasn't the big issue - it was the linear modes. This caused too much repetition - especially in a home environment. I got tired of hearing "ok, who brought the dog?" or "We got one!" ....all the damn time.

EDIT: Seems I just echoed what was posted above.

#9 6 years ago

Wow.kinda sorry to hear all this negativity!! I know these are issues with some! Others see the pin quite differently! I,for one,think that reversing the flippers is annoying!I think the shots,for my level of play,keeps me playing!If your all that good,set the mode of play off "easy"and try Mhard!I hear some of the same from B66 owners(Vireland)about ho-hum play!Maybe, because its so easy for you , move on to Golf,or,anyone for Racquetball??

#10 6 years ago

I think it's a great game and it has everything going for it. There will be additional software updates for it but honestly I think the code is really good now. I think it just comes down to skill level and what type of game you like.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

You need to replace the 2" hex standoff on the right ramp with a 1 5/8" part. I hit 5 in a row yesterday, what a rush.

This is an absolute must, IMO. I installed a 1 5/8" standoff about a month ago after reading nothing but positives from others who had done it, and the game is way more fun now. It's amazing what a huge difference it makes. That shot is buttery smooth now, and practically never bricks or rolls back down.

I've had my Premium since October, and I'm still enjoying it, but I agree with those who wish the modes weren't linear. I really hope that gets addressed in a code update. SunKing nailed it. 90% of the time I play, it's "Who Brought the Dog?" "We Got One" is like 8%, and the last 2% goes to "Spooked Librarian." I'd love to see the pops (or maybe a particular switch on the playfield) change which mode is lit for each ladder.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

I agree that the opening skill shot is annoying. All modes should be lit at the start of game. MH is tough, I think Slimer should sweep all the way left and right and not just hover in front of the ramp. I like the challenge of LS with arms crossed but Slimer is too much in the way.
I also frequently get stuck trying to finish Ballroom. It doesn't completely save progression. In the last phase you have to hit the left orbit and the right ramp in the allotted time. If you drain, it will keep the mode active (as per the adjustments option) but resets the shots and does not reset the mode tiner. So new ball, and you've got 7 seconds to hit *both* shots. Drives me crazy and my game typically ends here unless I bail and pick a different ladder.
All that said the game is a blast and it just needs some tweeks to remove some of the annoying aspects of it. I wouldn't say it sucks though, it's mostly super fun, but only with some hardware changes to "fix" it. Some relatively easy software changes can make a big difference so hopefully we'll get a final code polish.

Does it need modification anywhere mounting the shorter standoff? I would think the ramp can't go any lower because of the steel guide below it? Does sound like a good solution though, thanks

#13 6 years ago

Good thought. Just because there is a ladder doesn't necessarily mean you have to start at the bottom (think tron ladder in middle of playfield).

Also, here is an issue I've been seeing more frequently...right orbit shots end up SDTM instead of to left flipper. Not sure what I need to adjust on that so suggestions are appreciated.

Concerning skill shot...big scores are so dependent on multipliers that the K skill shot is too heavily needed and many games you know you're not going to get a breakout score just because you didn't hit that little sucker.

#14 6 years ago

I'd mind the linear modes less if I enjoyed playing the modes themselves more, but they feel kind of dry and uninvolving.

#15 6 years ago

Played this a bunch. Did not do anything for me except help me save $$$$

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

I was a loyal follower of GB from well before it was announced. It was my dream theme machine. Lol
I ordered the LE as soon as it was announced. I agree the game looks amazing. My playfield, no issues. Colours great, toys well integrated and plentiful. Cabinet and green rails beautiful along with the translite art.
However as many have said about many other games, you don't play the art. After 7 months or so I just have not been able to love the game. Most of the ops comments I agree with. You can have a regular multiball along with WCWS and when MHMB starts it ruins the whole party. Just really poorly done. It was said months ago that the code is finished. I believe this to be true and aside from a few bug fixes Stern will let this one ride on the theme alone without further code development.
I completed all mode ladders as well as WRTBY. It is lackluster still. The modes just go through the same linear action again and the final "wizard mode" is nothing special at all.
The code has ruined this game and even if they do add some things (which they could) it won't change the boring progress of starting one mode at a time and playing mainly those same first few modes again and again and again. Even getting through all those modes, at the end there is no reward for finishing them.
Sold my GBLE for $1000+ less than what I had into it. Could have sold it for more but really felt the next owner is getting ripped off for the money to spend on such a narrow and poorly done code. Stern should be ashamed on this one. i am sure others can still love it but I am one who wanted it so bad and wanted to love it and keep it forever but it just hurt too much to hear "ok who brought the dog" again... bye bye GBLE

Wow, sad to hear that, I was actually thinking of selling it too, but started to think to maybe reprogramming it myself, codewise I don't see too many problems, but to program the display is what keeps me doubting....

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Wow.kinda sorry to hear all this negativity!! I know these are issues with some! Others see the pin quite differently! I,for one,think that reversing the flippers is annoying!I think the shots,for my level of play,keeps me playing!If your all that good,set the mode of play off "easy"and try Mhard!I hear some of the same from B66 owners(Vireland)about ho-hum play!Maybe, because its so easy for you , move on to Golf,or,anyone for Racquetball??

?? who said the game was easy???? It's annoyingly hard and on top of that it drains way too easy!

#18 6 years ago

I think like so many pins or really to me all of them after a few months it gets repetitive and boring as it should, nothing wrong with modes if you don't plan on keeping it for too long, in the 90's even on site after a month or so I would be wishing for new pins to play, I'm done thinking of any pinball machine as a keeper so GB's is damn fun but if you have had the game for months and play it everyday then that's enough, if it lasts a week because you hate it then thats fine too, its a game. I'm enjoying pinball alot more since I dropped the collector aspect.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I think like so many pins or really to me all of them after a few months it gets repetitive and boring as it should, nothing wrong with modes if you don't plan on keeping it for too long, in the 90's even on site after a month or so I would be wishing for new pins to play, I'm done thinking of any pinball machine as a keeper so GB's is damn fun but if you have had the game for months and play it everyday then that's enough, if it lasts a week because you hate it then thats fine too, its a game. I'm enjoying pinball alot more since I dropped the collector aspect.

I've had many pins, and I agree that at a certain point you get bored with them, but some pins do have that attraction of wanting to play them over and over again, like said, Iron Man has far from deep rules, but I can play it all weekend long, Medieval Madness up to a certain point also, and even Theatre of Magic I like a lot, and just bought Dracula with intension of just getting to know it a bit better and sell it again, but it might be a keeper after all, it's so addictive and when you get the multiballs running together it's satisfactory hearing the 20 or 30 million shoutouts

Software can change so much, I traded my X-Men LE for a Stern Star Trek and I hated it, I was ready to sell it and then new software came out, now it's really a great pin to play, I think the Ghostbusters could be so much more with a couple of software changes, but like mentioned in another post, probably not going to happen unfortunately. And I'm not a collector, I just like to have a few good games, and a game that I can change now and then to have something new. If I don't like it I'll sell it as easy as I bought it, even if that means loosing money, I rather buy a game I like playing...

#20 6 years ago

If you think it's frustrating at home, try playing it on location for a buck a game with a left scoop that fires SDTM!

#21 6 years ago

I agree with most of the OPs comments, yet the game is still great despite some issues I hope get cleared up in code eventually. I got mine in mid July and it's still the main machine everyone wants to play (even though I got 3 other games in between).

Initially the game seemed too frustrating for friends, so I got the center post mod and played with extra balls (this helped a ton). Eventually the game got too easy and dull, so away went the mid post, away went the extra balls, and up went the tilt sensitivity. Now the game is more fun than ever to play.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Good thought. Just because there is a ladder doesn't necessarily mean you have to start at the bottom (think tron ladder in middle of playfield).

Actually in this case, you do. The higher modes are a lot more valuable. So to account for the linear qualities of the game, it would need to be rearchitected from the ground up. And no pinball company does that after the game is out.

#23 6 years ago

To be clear, it is not because the game is too easy for me. In fact most of the time the game kicked my butt. The cheap side drains and SDTM with the wife flipper gap I have not included in my complaints but they also suck bad. The code is not great unless you only play 50 games or so. After that you really see how narrow the code really is. Can they fix it? A little I guess but it will never be a top pin IMO. Should they never change or update the code it could go down as a true stinker for a home collection. And with all the new tech in displays, the old monochrome DMD just adds to the tired and repetitive feel of the game. "Ok who brought the dog"... yeesh! only game that annoyed me more was the wizard of oz song at the end of each ball. Sold it years ago and that song still haunts me.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

If you think it's frustrating at home, try playing it on location for a buck a game with a left scoop that fires SDTM!

Unless their unaware, vendors can adjust the power of this scoop so it doesn't blast it straight down the middle. Maybe some are aware and they do it intentionally. The last time I played it on location I lost all three balls in this manner and I walked away!

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

That's just pure garbage on the Operator's part.

Spend a few minutes to set up the pin correctly. F ing horrible.

#26 6 years ago

If anyone is so frustrated with this game they would like to trade it for a Rob Zombie brand new in the box. Please feel free to contact me. Especially if it's in really good condition with no ghosting. (no pun intended). I really enjoy the pro but I'm down with the premium as well.

#27 6 years ago

I think GB sucks because it's the only machine Sinestro owns and he thinks it's the shit. So I tell him how much it sucks because it really annoys him.

(It's actually quite a bit of fun, though... )

#28 6 years ago

I don't like it because it kicks my ass whenever I try to play it competitively.

#29 6 years ago

Be nice to get some more use of the Ecto Goggles.

And Loopin Supers needs to be held over until multiball is finished. Its a really fun mode, such a shame it gets lost so often in SFMB.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from tk-the-jammer:

In anyone is so frustrated with this game they would like to trade it for a Rob Zombie brand new in the box. Please feel free to contact me. Especially if it's in really good condition with no ghosting. (no pun intended). I really enjoy the pro but I'm down with the premium as well.

Too bad that game sucks, makes gb look amazing

#31 6 years ago

Isn't it just that the theme sucks enough?

#32 6 years ago

I just want to point out that I did not start this thread....and that's all I'm gonna say.

#33 6 years ago

I don't usually want to physically hit a game that often, but GB makes we want to smack it every time I play it. Forget the code, the geometry of the shots are just off. The airballs, the flipper gap, the STDM ghost target. Man, Trudeau doesn't pay enough attention to details. I have no idea who designed the plastics, the lights and call outs but they did a real fine job. It's just that the game doesn't play right.

#34 6 years ago

I can't disagree more. GB is the total package of art, sound, and gameplay. It has some great shots. The 2 ramps on the premium/LE are very satisfying. It continues to be a very strong seller because people enjoy it. It's not an easy game. It can be brutal actually. But it's still a blast to play.

#35 6 years ago

GB is probably the best game Stern has put out since AC/DC. They finally put together a game that provides a solid challenge where if you drain it's your own dang fault (assuming you have adjusted scoops, air ball protectors, etc.). It doesn't have any of Borg's silly magnets in front of bash toy nonsense, it doesn't have the same wide fan shots (despite being a fan layout), and it has skill shots that actually take skill and provide impact on the game.

Now, there definitely needs to be another couple of passes on the code. The linear modes aren't an issue, because they are logical in their progression and you can hop around the ladders if you want to. What is an issue is that the final wizard mode is basically uncoded, there are some bad persistent bugs, and the game could really use some combo scoring and make better use of the Ecto Goggles.

Ghostbusters isn't perfect at all, but in all of its imperfection, it provides a fair challenge that we're too often struggling to get in pinball these days. It feels like you're just on the edge of control the entire time, and it makes for a fantastic "one more time" game.

All that said, if an operator has one out on location and they haven't tuned it well, it can be a nightmare to play.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from xyntec:

Does it need modification anywhere mounting the shorter standoff? I would think the ramp can't go any lower because of the steel guide below it? Does sound like a good solution though, thanks

No modification. You can do 1 5/8" and that's about as low as it can go. At that point the terminals for the ramp switch are just about touching plastic.

#37 6 years ago

I will concede that if you simply can't get over the linear mode progression, that you might not ever warm up to GB. For me, it's just never been an issue.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I will concede that if you simply can't get over the linear mode progression, that you might not ever warm up to GB.

Were all different and I appreciate you saying that. But I'm one of those guys that just can't get past the linear code on this game. I want so badly to love this machine but I just know it wouldn't last very long in my collection.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

No modification. You can do 1 5/8" and that's about as low as it can go. At that point the terminals for the ramp switch are just about touching plastic.

Does anyone have a pic of this stand-off? Which one are you talking about?

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Does anyone have a pic of this stand-off? Which one are you talking about?

It's the one under this screw:

IMG_1279 (resized).JPGIMG_1279 (resized).JPG

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from xyntec:

But what annoys me most is all the modes that run together, and again, on the Pro this is somewhat less annoying or sometimes even good, but eg when you start SFMB, almost always ‘loopin supers’ start, and thus this mode is pretty much lost, because shooting the ramp is almost impossible during SFMB, either scolari or slimmer is blocking the ramp (or both) and on top of that, every time the ball enters the inlane, the flashers in front of the slings start to blind you.
The other way around it is pretty much the same, you start loopin supers and most of the time SFMB is lit, so you can just make one shot and that’s it. It’s better just to drain all but 1 ball and forget about SFMB so you can get on with loopin supers….

On the pro, SFMB and looping supers can be quite challenging, however, the goal should be to loop 2 balls at a time. Slimmer is never in the way on the pro.

When you get down to 2 or 3 balls left, clear the left drop target and try to get both balls in the loop - what a rush that is. I don't think the LS timer ever runs out during SFMB. In fact when SFMB is over, LS is usually still going.

If slimmer is blocking on the premium, then of course this strategy won't work.

#42 6 years ago

I have zero regrets selling the LE. Play field quality was great. Machine was packed. The shot geometry is beyond awful. Embarrassing from a design perspective IMO.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from xyntec:

First of all I’m not a big fan of linear modes, it gets pretty annoying sometimes to do the same mode over and over just to get progress, and I know I probably should get better, but since my accuracy of shots isn’t the greatest, I have (plenty of) games where I did not even finish 1 mode, yeah I know, I’m probably terrible at pinball….

It's not the linearity of the scenes, but the first scenes are just too simple. There's no incentive to play them other than just to get to the next scene. The awarded points are always the same and how well (or poorly) you do has no effect on anything else. That's the big thing wrong with the scenes IMHO. Later scenes have more scoring opportunities and score higher which makes them more fun, but they still have no purpose other than just getting to WCWS which is a very shallow mini wizard mode.

Quoted from xyntec:

The skill shot in my opinion is way too important, if you don’t make it, you have to make a lot of shots just to be able to start any mode at all, and since the ball a lot of times just doesn’t make it around (it either hits puff, slams into the backboard, or rattles around and ends up in the pop bumpers, so the best opportunity is too make a soft plunge and hope that the ball does not just goes STDM.

If you can't qualify the scenes, you need to play better. Scene qualification has been dumbed down since the first code release so only 1 hit of the ghost target brings slimer out. Hit him 2 or 3 times and the scenes are lit. That's not a lot of shots. The real problem I think with the skill shots is that a few are not worth going for - ever. Mainly, the 'add 3 million to super jackpot' is the worst one. I think the skill shots should time out on the lower playfield too.

Quoted from xyntec:

I completely agree. There are reasons this happens which I have discussed with Dwight. I hope it gets eventually tweaked.

Quoted from xyntec:

When you do reach any of the ladders and you get to WCWS, most of the times also MHMB starts and thus just fucks up your WCWS. I really like the idea of having the flippers reversed, but why not just keep it like that during the whole mode?? It’s really funny when you play with your friends and you have to flip your hands during this multiball, but when it’s just changing all the time, everyone is just flipping both hands all the time like a small child and waiting for the mode to be over. It could have been an exciting mode….

I don't mind the stacking, but the lack of purpose to these different modes is what disappoints me. So the flippers reverse in MHMB, is that it? So each shot scores several million points in WCWS, what else is there? Stacking modes together is what makes them somewhat fun right now.

Rob

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

GB is probably the best game Stern has put out since AC/DC. They finally put together a game that provides a solid challenge where if you drain it's your own dang fault (assuming you have adjusted scoops, air ball protectors, etc.). It doesn't have any of Borg's silly magnets in front of bash toy nonsense, it doesn't have the same wide fan shots (despite being a fan layout), and it has skill shots that actually take skill and provide impact on the game.
Now, there definitely needs to be another couple of passes on the code. The linear modes aren't an issue, because they are logical in their progression and you can hop around the ladders if you want to. What is an issue is that the final wizard mode is basically uncoded, there are some bad persistent bugs, and the game could really use some combo scoring and make better use of the Ecto Goggles.
Ghostbusters isn't perfect at all, but in all of its imperfection, it provides a fair challenge that we're too often struggling to get in pinball these days. It feels like you're just on the edge of control the entire time, and it makes for a fantastic "one more time" game.
All that said, if an operator has one out on location and they haven't tuned it well, it can be a nightmare to play.

Amen on the combo shots/scoring. I never understand why some games don't have it, as they can be some of the most satisfying shots in pinball.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

There definitely needs to be another couple of passes on the code. The final wizard mode is basically uncoded.
Ghostbusters isn't perfect at all, it can be a nightmare to play.

This really does some up the truth on this game. Sorry but the rest is just silly.

However I can see how some can like the game. It is easy to get caught up in the theme and fancy playfield, toys and cabinet art. I got caught up in it for many months as well. However it is not and will not be a top a game to satisfy a wide majority of home collectors.

#46 6 years ago

As an owner of an LE, I agree with most of your criticisms. No game should need the amount of "mods" to make it play more correctly. The spacer for the right ramp, clear cover over the left ramp entrance, removing the mylar to keep the ball from smacking the backboard, etc.
Once you spend hours tweaking it, it shoots a lot better, but you can't get away from the linear code.
I'm hoping some of the changes discussed here are made in the code but not holding my breath.
Resale will be fine on it with the theme and artwork. It's just so disappointing the code is what it is. I'm still enjoying it [not loving it] and when that passes, if code hasn't improved it, I'll move it along.

#47 6 years ago

The Premium has no flow, it plays clunky as shiit. The artwork and sound are top notch. The coding is better than most (the loopin supers is stupid as it seems to only happen during the multiball). Slimer is a chore to hit as are the Scolari brothers. The right orbit fuuks you if you hit it well. I could give a rats ass about the linear code. It just plays like crap. The guy I sold it to is selling it after 2 weeks of owning it because it plays poorly. The damn game burned me $600 to get out from under it. First, last and only NIB from Stern. How do you screw up an orbit? Why is there no protector on the shooter lane? Cheap cheap cheap. Fool me once. . . . Good riddance !

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

wife flipper gap

This is not the place to discuss your wife's gap

#49 6 years ago

What a waste of a perfectly good layout.

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

The Premium has no flow, it plays clunky as shiit. The artwork and sound are top notch. The coding is better than most (the loopin supers is stupid as it seems to only happen during the multiball). Slimer is a chore to hit as are the Scolari brothers. The right orbit fuuks you if you hit it well. I could give a rats ass about the linear code. It just plays like crap. The guy I sold it to is selling it after 2 weeks of owning it because it plays poorly. The damn game burned me $600 to get out from under it. First, last and only NIB from Stern. How do you screw up an orbit? Why is there no protector on the shooter lane? Cheap cheap cheap. Fool me once. . . . Good riddance !

Come on, tell us what you really think.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com
Plastics
15,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 49.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
There are 274 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-reason-why-i-think-ghostbusters-sucks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.