Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,257 posts
  • 160 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AEF8A68C-AE46-4255-8D8D-25EA4BADCEFB (resized).png
    20220807_172818.jpg
    20220807_172731.jpg
    20220807_172550.jpg
    FDD5246E-4BC8-4CB8-BBE4-865D6F618DF5 (resized).jpeg
    20220623_190825[1] (resized).jpg
    290871166_10166603246480506_8702219675689729240_n (resized).jpg
    289014991_10166603246550506_2781155771863414598_n (resized).jpg
    289000327_10166603246520506_7863593074650008910_n (resized).jpg
    289017282_10166603246085506_6525515561217938380_n (resized).jpg
    13654268_10210457274455031_7422676064669589436_n (resized).jpg
    20220623_182619[1] (resized).jpg
    20220623_182620[1] (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2022-07-27-14-29-43 (resized).png
    C925F449-DD2D-49C3-B9EE-5231E3343A6D (resized).jpeg
    C86325F3-3B8E-4EDF-8333-9B78982B244F (resized).jpeg
    There are 1,257 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 26.
    #1051 1 year ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

I don’t know if the hotel allows that or not

If the hotel can't provide fully staffed restaurants with enough for for full menu options for 3 days, who cares if they will allow it or not?

The hotel lost out on a fortune in sales by not having food.

#1052 1 year ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

If the hotel can't provide fully staffed restaurants with enough for for full menu options for 3 days, who cares if they will allow it or not?

Correct it’s a big problem. My contract does not allow any food trucks or outside food services.

#1053 1 year ago

The hotel doesn't seem to be in a leverage position considering all of their shortcomings. You should really have the upper hand in negotiating with them. They should be grateful to host an event such as ours.

#1054 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

The hotel doesn't seem to be in a leverage position considering all of their shortcomings. You should really have the upper hand in negotiating with them. They should be grateful to host an event such as ours.

Despite the greater than average percentage of degenerates among us!

#1055 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

You would think that’s the case. But unfortunately it’s not. I can’t say any more than that right now. Trust me we are aggressively working on a solution.

#1056 1 year ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

What are you talking about, I had a "hotdog" from the hotel. A line from "The Great Outdoors" came to mind as I consumed it....(Was not good in any way).

#1057 1 year ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Correct it’s a big problem. My contract does not allow any food trucks or outside food services.

Lol

Cut these jokers loose man.

#1058 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

The place needs to negotiate with a wrecking ball.

I’ve had a lot of fun there but what it’s deteriorated to can no longer be excused or ignored.

I’ll support the show no matter where it’s held as long as the Super 8 remains a habitable alternative but I worry about the show’s survival if it continues to be held there.

#1059 1 year ago

Hold it at a hall like Allentown, line wraps down the street every year and it doesn't have a "host hostel".

#1060 1 year ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

You would think that’s the case. But unfortunately it’s not. I can’t say any more than that right now. Trust me we are aggressively working on a solution.

Tell them point blank you are leaving.

5 years I have been going to Pintastic and the host hotel is looking worse than ever.

#1061 1 year ago

Be a shame if someone dropped a dime to OSHA about mold and mildew.

Who knows what else they would find while there, rather through they are.

#1062 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Be a shame if someone dropped a dime to OSHA about mold and mildew.
    Who knows what else they would find while there, rather through they are.

I don't know if OSHA would be the agency to go to, unless you were complaining on behalf of the employees of the place.

#1063 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I don't know if OSHA would be the agency to go to, unless you were complaining on behalf of the employees of the place.

Don't have to be an employee.

#1064 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

5 years I have been going to Pintastic and the host hotel is looking worse than ever.

The host hotel. Is there anything wrong with the venue itself (as a venue for a pinball show)? Unless Gabe wants to reveal other issues we don't know about, I'd say the answer is no.
    The lodging? Shaky at best, but as I've said numerous times, you have many options if you don't want to stay there. On site restaurants? Think of them as a bonus as well. At every other local show, we have to go off-site to eat. At least McDonald's and Burger King are within easy walking distance. We have other options as well, many within walking distance (no, not Teddy G's!).
    Does the host hotel "supposedly" book all their available rooms despite the spotty deplorable conditions; yes! So what's the problem? The negatives should work in the staff's (Gabe's) favor, negotiating an acceptable arrangement, but apparently not.
    Ok. So there are issues that haven't been disclosed or resolved. Hopefully they will be addressed.

#1065 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

The host hotel. Is there anything wrong with the venue itself (as a venue for a pinball show)? Unless Gabe wants to reveal other issues we don't know about, I'd say the answer is no.
    The lodging? Shaky at best, but as I've said numerous times, you have many options if you don't want to stay there. On site restaurants? Think of them as a bonus as well. At every other local show, we have to go off-site to eat. At least McDonald's and Burger King are within easy walking distance. We have other options as well, many within walking distance (no, not Teddy G's!).
    Does the host hotel "supposedly" book all their available rooms despite the spotty deplorable conditions; yes! So what's the problem? The negatives should work in the staff's (Gabe's) favor, negotiating an acceptable arrangement, but apparently not.
    Ok. So there are issues that haven't been disclosed or resolved. Hopefully they will be addressed.

Take that pile of dirt out front that was in the fire lane. I told the hotel weeks before that needed to be moved or the show may be shut down by the fire department. I had to walk the owner out front and point it out to him on the first day of Pintastic. Only than did they come out with a track and snow plow. I felt humiliated. By the way does anyone have a video of that debacle?

#1066 1 year ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

Hold it at a hall like Allentown, line wraps down the street every year and it doesn't have a "host hostel".

Pintastic needs to be in a hotel or the 24hr aspect of the show goes away. But don’t worry the show must go on!

#1067 1 year ago

I think the venue is fine personally but my wife won’t stay at the hotel. We just go down the street. We used to get concessions food but don’t do that anymore. We just hit McD’s or whatever. We love Pintastic and will always attend no matter what. Just gotta make it work. Love the work you guys do. We really appreciate it.

#1068 1 year ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

I can't believe humans get married at that hotel, Gerbils, I'd understand...Humans...No

I was running power cabling in the Free Play Room during the day on Wednesday, and while I was working someone from the hotel sales department brought in a young couple - presumably a future bride & groom - to show them around the room. It took a massive amount of will power on my part to refrain from shouting "Run for your lives!"

#1069 1 year ago
    Quoted from jadziedzic:

I was running power cabling in the Free Play Room during the day on Wednesday, and while I was working someone from the hotel sales department brought in a young couple - presumably a future bride & groom - to show them around the room. It took a massive amount of will power on my part to refrain from shouting "Run for your lives!"

My goodness!

#1070 1 year ago

Are the operators of the hotel aware of this thread? Host Hotel is a publicly traded company (HST). There are some large corporations attached to this property and it’s mind blowing that it continues to be in its present condition. Perhaps dropping a dime to corporate might get some attention. My .02$.

#1071 1 year ago
    Quoted from Nhpolarbear:

Are the operators of the hotel aware of this thread? Host Hotel is a publicly traded company (HST). There are some large corporations attached to this property and it’s mind blowing that it continues to be in its present condition. Perhaps dropping a dime to corporate might get some attention. My .02$.

I’m sure anybody who has a stake in that hotel is aware of their recent yelp: TripAdvisor etc reviews.

Spoiler alert: Not pretty

#1072 1 year ago
    Quoted from Nhpolarbear:

The hotel is privately owned by an Indian family. They own one other hotel. I think your mistaken.

#1073 1 year ago
    Quoted from truemagoo102:

The best year for them [the vendors] was the year it was in the fall.

You can't infer that the fall dates were the reason. The best year for them (2021) was when it was the first show after people going out a lot less due to the pandemic, so that could be a factor. The best year for them (2021) was when unemployment was lowest, so that could be a factor. The best year for them (2021) was when they had some great pinball titles to sell, and on and on. It probably took several factors to make 2021 their best year.

The coin-op business has a long history of good sales to the "home game room" market in November-December, yes. But only a couple of our vendors really fit that business model, which sells to the third leg of Stern's three-leg market segmentation. That segment is not out-and-out pinball fans, but people who like having 1-2 pinballs in their home game room, along with other game types. Those people aren't reading Pinside, but some of them do come to Pintastic. We appreciate our vendors showing up to try selling their wares, whatever time of year the show may be.
    .................David Marston

#1074 1 year ago

My bad. You would know. It’s very difficult to validate information. Thank you for clarification. The property is referred to as a Host Hotel. Host is a publicly traded company. I’m sure you can understand my confusion. Just trying to help, although you seem to have it well in hand. I wish you well in your quest.

#1075 1 year ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Pintastic needs to be in a hotel or the 24hr aspect of the show goes away. But don’t worry the show must go on!

Selfishly, I hope Boxborough is in the running again! Seems like they recently had a comicon and have another coming up: https://collectiblesextravaganza.com/collectibles-extravaganza-july-2022/boxboro-regency-hotel-boxborough-ma-this-show-will-have-you-seeing-stars/

Not sure what their 24 hour or BYOB policy is, though.

#1076 1 year ago
    Quoted from VALIS666:

Selfishly, I hope Boxborough is in the running again! Seems like they recently had a comicon and have another coming up: https://collectiblesextravaganza.com/collectibles-extravaganza-july-2022/boxboro-regency-hotel-boxborough-ma-this-show-will-have-you-seeing-stars/
    Not sure what their 24 hour or BYOB policy is, though.

They are in the running but at this time they can only guarantee 120 rooms a night. Others would need to be shuttled 15 min down the road. Not ideal

#1077 1 year ago

I decided this year this show just isn't worth the time and effort. Barely any vendors, wayyy more people than pinball machines and the location is less than hospitable. The vendor/tournament room was over 80 degrees. I suppose this show is more suited for those who want to stay at the hotel and party all night, but that is just not me.

#1078 1 year ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Take that pile of dirt out front that was in the fire lane. I told the hotel weeks before that needed to be moved or the show may be shut down by the fire department. I had to walk the owner out front and point it out to him on the first day of Pintastic. Only than did they come out with a track and snow plow. I felt humiliated. By the way does anyone have a video of that debacle?

OMG! I was there for that, and almost took a video of it because it was such a mess.... but I decided to move my truck instead because when they were moving the pile of dirt I was parked right at the end row and the guy in the plow truck was driving like an ass. I was worried he was going to back into my truck.

I had my Daughter with me and the running joke between us was every time we saw something that looked like crap, one of us would point to it and say "this place is a dump" (It a tradition we started the year we walked by the restaurant and saw the swarm of bugs in the empty buffet table in the restaurant... and yes, I have pictures if that somewhere too).

The best I have from Dirt Pile-gate are these two pics:
    20220623_182620[1] (resized).jpg20220623_182620[1] (resized).jpg

20220623_182619[1] (resized).jpg20220623_182619[1] (resized).jpg

#1079 1 year ago

I've been a vendor at the last two shows. I'm a pinball dealer in MA, selling Stern pinball machines.

I stayed at the hotel in the fall and made the decision not to stay again in June. Just too miserable.

The temperature in the vendor hall was pretty unpleasant, even after they fixed the AC.

My preference would be to move the event to NH. In MA vendors have to collect sales tax (6.25%). No sales tax in NH. I cut prices on floor models at the show but I still have to collect sales tax. That wouldn't be the case in NH.

#1080 1 year ago
    Quoted from PersonX99:

I decided this year this show just isn't worth the time and effort. Barely any vendors, wayyy more people than pinball machines and the location is less than hospitable. The vendor/tournament room was over 80 degrees. I suppose this show is more suited for those who want to stay at the hotel and party all night, but that is just not me.

I decided that I either get the LE pass or not bother and I was happy I did. The A and B titles in the main rooms are usually very busy.

#1081 1 year ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

They are in the running but at this time they can only guarantee 120 rooms a night. Others would need to be shuttled 15 min down the road. Not ideal

Just to chime in- as someone who lives in Littleton (literally the next town over) I'd LOVE to see it in Boxborough... however having experienced the vibe at the Sturbridge show, and the convenience of being so close to food & Tree House beers... it's in a convenient location to the things folks would want and need.
    Boxborough really is an isolated little town with basically nothing going on. You'd need to venture to Maynard, Westford, or Hudson to experience anything outside the hotel, and as others have noted, we don't know how relaxed their "open bottle" policies would be.
    At the end of the day, if I have to drive to Sturbridge again, I'd be okay with that if it means we can keep the same sort of atmosphere we know & love, that makes Pintastic such a good time.

#1082 1 year ago
    Quoted from Redfive05:

(It a tradition we started the year we walked by the restaurant and saw the swarm of bugs in the empty buffet table in the restaurant... and yes, I have pictures of that somewhere too).

Found one.

13654268_10210457274455031_7422676064669589436_n (resized).jpg13654268_10210457274455031_7422676064669589436_n (resized).jpg
    #1084 1 year ago
    Quoted from PixelsandPinball:

My preference would be to move the event to NH. In MA vendors have to collect sales tax (6.25%). No sales tax in NH. I cut prices on floor models at the show but I still have to collect sales tax. That wouldn't be the case in NH.

You'd lose a lot of attendees from NY, NJ, PA if it were held in NH.

#1085 1 year ago
    Quoted from somenerd:

Just to chime in- as someone who lives in Littleton (literally the next town over) I'd LOVE to see it in Boxborough... however having experienced the vibe at the Sturbridge show, and the convenience of being so close to food & Tree House beers... it's in a convenient location to the things folks would want and need.
    Boxborough really is an isolated little town with basically nothing going on. You'd need to venture to Maynard, Westford, or Hudson to experience anything outside the hotel, and as others have noted, we don't know how relaxed their "open bottle" policies would be.
    At the end of the day, if I have to drive to Sturbridge again, I'd be okay with that if it means we can keep the same sort of atmosphere we know & love, that makes Pintastic such a good time.

I noticed that when it was first mentioned, actually had never even heard of the town. I'll probably skip it if it goes there, definitely skip if it moves to NH.

#1086 1 year ago

Why not start a poll --who would or would not attend if it was held in Boxborough (or any other place for that matter). This would give you a halfway decent idea on whether or not it'd be worth moving.

#1087 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

This. I'd probably go either way, but only because I'm close enough to the Mass border... but I can see a lot of folks not wanting to add another hour + to the trip.

#1088 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Isn’t NH the center of New England? Equal distance from every point. It is Pintastic NE after all.

#1089 1 year ago
    Quoted from Redfive05:

Found one.[quoted image]

That’s lovely. Tons of little baby cockroaches. Probably a good thing the restaurant is never open, and the “LE” buyers who showed up too late for breakfast at 8:45 am were probably done a favor.

I admire the commitment of the “you guys are all a bunch of whiners it’s not the ritz but so what!” Crew. But seriously…that place….

#1090 1 year ago
    Quoted from MG7322:

Isn’t NH the center of New England? Equal distance from every point. It is Pintastic NE after all.

Population is heavy to the south.

My vote is Massachusetts is fine, i have no opinion on staying at host hotel because I'd never stay at the host hotel. The show layout is fine there though the place itself has gone downhill.

#1091 1 year ago

I love the Pinball show but hate that hotel. Food options are awful and I miss Friendly’s since they closed.

Vendors are a huge area that needs to be addressed if you want to call it a pinball show. I wanted to buy a colour DMD and nobody had them (yes I understand most shows they are hard to find). I wanted to buy mirror blades I couldn’t find them (most shows do have them). I then wanted to buy a bunch of white and black rubbers. Nobody in the entire show had any rubbers for sale at all. NONE!!! (All other shows sell rubbers). Now this is the only Pinball show I know of where you cannot buy rubbers. Sad indeed.

#1092 1 year ago

Boxboro would be great . There’s hotel’s in Westford and Littleton for over flow rooms . Some nice restaurants around in Westford and Littleton 10 mins drive tops .

#1093 1 year ago

Also if you were staying the weekend and wanted something else to do there’s Kimballs In Westford 15 mins away rock climbing and A movie theater 10 mins away . Boston is 45 mins

#1094 1 year ago
    Quoted from MG7322:

Sure, move farther away if you want a New England only turnout.
    Of course, living in NH, you'd love it!

#1095 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That’s lovely. Tons of little baby cockroaches. Probably a good thing the restaurant is never open, and the “LE” buyers who showed up too late for breakfast at 8:45 am were probably done a favor.
    I admire the commitment of the “you guys are all a bunch of whiners it’s not the ritz but so what!” Crew. But seriously…that place….

Seriously, Levi? You live in Manhattan, and you're skeeved by some cockroaches? Apparently, you don't eat out much!
    The biggest issue with the host hotel as with so many other businesses, is adequate staffing due to COVID.
    Just go there to play pinball. You don't have to stay there, you don't have to eat there. The venue itself is fine. Whiners? Ooh... my AC is smelly.... ooh, I have a CRT TV in my room. Don't like it? Don't stay there then!!!

#1096 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Seriously, Levi? You live in Manhattan, and you're skeeved by some cockroaches? Apparently, you don't eat out much!
    The biggest issue with the host hotel as with so many other businesses, is adequate staffing due to COVID.
    Just go there to play pinball. You don't have to stay there, you don't have to eat there. The venue itself is fine. Whiners? Ooh... my AC is smelly.... ooh, I have a CRT TV in my room. Don't like it? Don't stay there then!!!

PERFECTLY stated! Sooo many whiny bitches on here. Jesus.

#1097 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

You and like 5 other guys are the only people still willing to stay at that disgusting shithole.

If we all stay somewhere else - like the super 8 where I stay every year - they can’t hold the show there.

I don’t know what to tell you dude. You can’t still do a show there if there’s only a handful of people willing to stay there anymore.

Read the tea leaves guys. Stop making fun of people who don’t want to pay $150 a night to stay at a superfund site.

Lol @ the predictable “Manhattan” comment. I don’t care where you live, if you’ll eat or stay at place where a cockroach infestation is visible in a public area, you have no self-respect and you have no class. If that’s the kind of shit that’s out in the open - along with mold and dried blood - what do you think is happening behind the scenes?

#1098 1 year ago

I'm getting really disgruntled at some comments here.

1) The hotel is terrible. You can pay $150+ or whatever and tell your yourself or your significant other to "suck it up buttercup" but that hotel needs to be demolished.
    2) This is Pintastic New England & Game Room Expo. This isn't a show geared towards making the show a convenient drive for PA, NJ, NY or any region outside of New England. You folks have your shows which are very nice such as Allentown, Saratoga Pinball and Arcade Show, etc. Personally I would love to see the show in NH because as Pixels and Pinball pointed out there is no sales tax. It's also more centrally located. Personally I live near Lowell, MA and will be going to Pawtucket, RI tomorrow for the EMP party. It doesn't bother me travelling an hour to RI but if it bothers you, you likely didn't want to go to the show in the first place. People from VT and ME travel 2-3 hours for the show.

Here are some pictures not seen by the general public. I bet you're going to say "oh bah it's not seen by the general public".
    289000327_10166603246520506_7863593074650008910_n (resized).jpg289000327_10166603246520506_7863593074650008910_n (resized).jpg289014991_10166603246550506_2781155771863414598_n (resized).jpg289014991_10166603246550506_2781155771863414598_n (resized).jpg289017282_10166603246085506_6525515561217938380_n (resized).jpg289017282_10166603246085506_6525515561217938380_n (resized).jpg290871166_10166603246480506_8702219675689729240_n (resized).jpg290871166_10166603246480506_8702219675689729240_n (resized).jpg

#1099 1 year ago
    Quoted from hool10:

I'm getting really disgruntled at some comments here.
    1) The hotel is terrible. You can pay $150+ or whatever and tell your yourself or your significant other to "suck it up buttercup" but that hotel needs to be demolished.
    2) This is Pintastic New England & Game Room Expo. This isn't a show geared towards making the show a convenient drive for PA, NJ, NY or any region outside of New England. You folks have your shows which are very nice such as Allentown, Saratoga Pinball and Arcade Show, etc. Personally I would love to see the show in NH because as Pixels and Pinball pointed out there is no sales tax. It's also more centrally located. Personally I live near Lowell, MA and will be going to Pawtucket, RI tomorrow for the EMP party. It doesn't bother me travelling an hour to RI but if it bothers you, you likely didn't want to go to the show in the first place. People from VT and ME travel 2-3 hours for the show.
    Here are some pictures not seen by the general public. I bet you're going to say "oh bah it's not seen by the general public".
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Is that a local bath house? If it's the hotel it seems fine, as I can see the ac is working. Again, another hotel is at the end of the parking lot, with no complaints..stay there.

#1100 1 year ago

Gabe said it best. The team is considering multiple factors (layout, infrastructure, accommodations, impacts to attendance, etc). It’s not a simple answer, bc if it was, we would already have chosen it, but we’re working very hard on figuring everything out—usually the first month or two after the show is quiet as we’re all trying to recover, but we’ve been researching almost nonstop since the minute we got home.

If you have any suggestions of venues etc, please feel free to continue to post them, and otherwise just know that there’s a lot of people who care deeply about this show working to make sure that we fix the issues from 2022 for 2023.

There are 1,257 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 26.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-real-official-pintastic-new-england-show-info/page/22?hl=nhpolarbear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.