Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,257 posts
  • 160 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AEF8A68C-AE46-4255-8D8D-25EA4BADCEFB (resized).png
    20220807_172818.jpg
    20220807_172731.jpg
    20220807_172550.jpg
    FDD5246E-4BC8-4CB8-BBE4-865D6F618DF5 (resized).jpeg
    20220623_190825[1] (resized).jpg
    290871166_10166603246480506_8702219675689729240_n (resized).jpg
    289014991_10166603246550506_2781155771863414598_n (resized).jpg
    289000327_10166603246520506_7863593074650008910_n (resized).jpg
    289017282_10166603246085506_6525515561217938380_n (resized).jpg
    13654268_10210457274455031_7422676064669589436_n (resized).jpg
    20220623_182619[1] (resized).jpg
    20220623_182620[1] (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2022-07-27-14-29-43 (resized).png
    C925F449-DD2D-49C3-B9EE-5231E3343A6D (resized).jpeg
    C86325F3-3B8E-4EDF-8333-9B78982B244F (resized).jpeg
    There are 1,257 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 26.
    #951 1 year ago

Yes that was our F-14 Tomcat in Freeplay. Got a call on my cell phone asking if it was for sale. I said I would meet you in front of the Concession stand by Freeplay to discuss. I said I had my Pintastic T shirt and blue sneakers. (Doesn’t everyone have there Pintastic shirts on?, so I threw in the Blue sneakers) I get to the concession area and there is Steve talking to another guy with Pintastic T and blue sneakers. I didn't make the connection yet until I overheard Steve said to the guy, “Let’s go look at your machine.” Then I was like, oh boy, I think its Steve looking for me! I jumped in and said “I think your looking for me”.

He wanted me to ship it to Chicago and I said I would handle it all on Monday. We parted ways and the next thing I know he texted me to come to the Automated Services booth. Jack and Mike D at Automated said they would handle the shipping to Chicago. Next thing I know the twins are called into action with their manual delivery from Freeplay booth (Video above).

Pintastic needs signatures from the buyer and seller on the back of the registration card so I have a nice autographed card for the memories. “To Mitch! Thanks a Million! Steve R.”

#952 1 year ago
    Quoted from hool10:

The seminars were streamed for the first time on Twitch this year so if you lived far away or were sick then you could watch them this year. For future reference I would follow our page here: https://www.twitch.tv/pintasticne
    All seminars were recorded of course according to MA chapter bylaw...(see what I did there Dave ). Marc Patenaude does by far the best in my opinion of streaming/recording the Silverball Rumble with Backhand Pinball aside from Karl DeAngelo. I record the seminars and handle the YouTube page which I highly suggest to subscribe to: https://www.youtube.com/c/PintasticPinballGameRoomExpo The release schedule will come out soon but we want people coming back week after week to watch them and enjoy them like a tv series. To me recording people such as Barry Oursler, Jim Patla, George Gomez or even say a podcaster is of the utmost importance for the industry and I'm seeking out ways to work with IPDB. The reason why it looks like a chaotic organized mess is that is what it takes to pull off these tournament or seminar recordings. If it's not then you can go back to watching seminars recorded on a camera and nobody wants that.
    For me personally I don't like the location nor hotel because I'm in the north-east part of MA, is far from NH/ME/VT/Boston/Canadians, it's in the middle of nowhere and it's not a secret the hotel sucks. The reason why the show is there is because the hotel allows us to do anything and because of that the hotel doesn't care either and it shows with the condition of the hotel. We are looking into hotels currently like we did in 2020.
    The show is constantly getting better every year but this year was certainly different than others. Game shortages and the cost of gas I know greatly cut down on people travelling to the show. Also we are in a recession. For clarification the reason why the show was held last year in November was we wanted to put on some type of show but I liked it and it was well received by guests.
    -Derek Karamanian
    Team AV Leader of Pintastic Pinball & Game Room Expo

Really impressed with the AV staff and their capabilities along with top notch equipment. Nice job!

#953 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

My condolences on the loss of your sister.

Thanks.

Quoted from jrpinball:

By his replies to you, it sounds like he doesn't know you at all.

He does, right Dave?

#954 1 year ago
    Quoted from Peruman:

Was looking for the Best in Show winners for this year. Who won the Blue Ribbons?

They have now been posted: https://pintasticnewengland.com/past-best-in-show/
    .................David Marston

#955 1 year ago
    Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

The Free Play room had fewer games but a better selection of quality games, so in my opinion it all evened out. I brought two games, both worked flawlessly the whole time. I tried to sell them, even with below-average pricing (according to Pinside) but no takers. Oh well.
    The EB Lounge is great as always.
    The West Mass / SNH club room was awesome. Great selection of games and that crew knows how to run a tournament. They ran THREE! These guys pretty much get my MVP award. Andrew I think his name is? Well done, take a bow!
    Good selection of forums.
    The vendor hall was lacking, yes, but at least it was replaced with a boatload of games you could play and purchase. A NIB Rush pro would cost 6800 + tax + shipping, or you could get one there for 6000-6200 total if you said the right things.
    The main tournament sponsored by The Sanctum was incredible yet again. Jim knows how to run em and the volunteer crew was equally awesome. Thanks to all who helped with that.
    The Rush tribute band Limelight was AWESOME! I don't see many people talking about this but that's as close to Rush as I'll ever get. I took a video and posted it and people in the comments thought it was actually Rush because it was so good.
    We (wife and I) had a room in the annex building on the top floor. Smelly hallways and stairways, but our AC worked. Room was run down and filthy-looking. My only real complaint about the weekend, probably.
    I get the LE pass every year but I found it too expensive this time around. I usually buy two but this time I brought two games instead. Saved $550 that way. The check-in process was simple and the people running that area did a fantastic job.
    Actually, I couldn't find the give-away thing for the people who brought games. The schedule didn't show a location or time, just "Sunday Morning" and that was it. I looked around and finally somebody told me I had missed it. I'd like to see this fixed in the future. I wasn't the only one who was left searching.
    I love the location at Sturbridge. It's right next door to a large liquor/beer store. The crew I went with tailgated all 4 days, it was great. Walkable distance to fast food and if you put in a little effort you can get better food a tad further away. We had stuff delivered too. Plus it's right off the highway. Gotta love that.
    All in all it was either my favorite Pintastic or close to it. I would very much like to see more vendors next year, and it'd be great if they updated their rooms or something. It's 20k per room but you can also charge $50 more per day so that pays for itself in 2 years at 50% capacity. I don't get why they don't do that.

I would also like more info on the game bringer raffle. So last November you conveniently changed the time and didn't tell anyone. I had brought 50k+ in games and you told me I won free shipping from Marco (not even a vendor).

Where is the list of winners? You guys promised some decent cash prizes, wondering who won them? I had 9 games I your free play area on Sunday morning, guess it's bad luck I didn't win anything...

#956 1 year ago

What a whirlwind of a weekend. Just wanted to finally take a moment to thank everyone for coming out this weekend and playing in our tournament. Nearly 200 of you registered to play over Friday and Saturday. I also want to sincerely thank everyone who helped me run, setup and break this whole thing down throughout the entire week. Could not of done it without all of them. It took countless hours from all of them.

Congrats to all of our winners! In the Junior Divisions we had

1)Jason Zahler
    2)Ashton Capone
    3)Liam Bradley

For the main division

1)Jason Zahler
    2)Levi Nayman
    3)Raymond Davidson
    4)Steven Bowden

We had some insanely great competition and close battles and comebacks. I hope everyone had a great time playing and if you have any feedback for the tournament please direct it towards me. We try our best to make a large fun event and strike a good balance of tournament play with show enjoyment. We hope to keep our tradition of never reusing a game in a tournament bank for 7 years running. See everyone in 2023

-Jim

28245187-F792-4C8F-99DE-36AF68A865FD (resized).jpeg28245187-F792-4C8F-99DE-36AF68A865FD (resized).jpeg74A44462-D56A-4864-8EBD-A3E64837A371 (resized).jpeg74A44462-D56A-4864-8EBD-A3E64837A371 (resized).jpegE39A98FE-D06B-431D-AD70-2CBF5A4B7E9D (resized).jpegE39A98FE-D06B-431D-AD70-2CBF5A4B7E9D (resized).jpeg
    #957 1 year ago
    Quoted from truemagoo102:

It was amazingly terrible. Like a stench that none of us had ever witnessed before. Just a combination of all of the most foulest of substances. Everyone should experience it once to experience what hell must smell like. Seriously, the hotel should advertise it.

i dubbed it the bog of eternal stench. it was so bad I ended up using the exit closest to my room to walk to the event...

reference

290015927_729413831513990_4310504638881605881_n (resized).jpg290015927_729413831513990_4310504638881605881_n (resized).jpg
    #958 1 year ago
    Quoted from RatShack:

I was walking into freeplay and caught them headed out the door, followed by Steve Ritchie and Jersey Jack.

and that looks like Jack immediately behind Steve with the cell phone video rolling.

#959 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aphex:

i dubbed it the bog of eternal stench. it was so bad I ended up using the exit closest to my room to walk to the event...
    reference [quoted image]

It's been like that for years now. It's just a money grab. Pretty sad!

#960 1 year ago
    Quoted from radial_head:

I heard a number of people report their games getting damaged (somewhat severely in my book) when the crew was shuffling games around.

You know I take great offense to this comment. I worked the tech crew for 2 days of the show. I assisted, and probably helped move most of the machines around in that room. We took GREAT CARE to carefully move the machines, in fact we spaced them out to give people more room, and make it so the machines wouldn't hit each other.

We also did board work, for FREE, got a bunch of machines that were DOA back up and running for the duration of the show.

Please let me know what machines were damaged in any way, as we took pride in our work.

#961 1 year ago
    Quoted from eabundy:

You know I take great offense to this comment. I worked the tech crew for 2 days of the show. I assisted, and probably helped move most of the machines around in that room. We took GREAT CARE to carefully move the machines, in fact we spaced them out to give people more room, and make it so the machines wouldn't hit each other.
    We also did board work, for FREE, got a bunch of machines that were DOA back up and running for the duration of the show.
    Please let me know what machines were damaged in any way, as we took pride in our work.

When I brought machines to the show, the tech crew were very particular about caring for all of the machines. The general public is another story. Parents allowed children to have free reign showing little respect for other peoples property.

#962 1 year ago
    Quoted from eabundy:

Re-reading this, I absolutely apologize for my tone here. The tech crew did, and always does, A PHENOMENAL JOB working on the games, for free, when things go wrong. Stellar work. Always. And with a smile. (and while I'm at it, your game played great in my book Eric).

I heard of a head a few early SS got dropped on the body which left massive dents in the rails when it was moved. Could have been that the head wasn't strapped down properly when it was set up. Could have been in the move. I heard a few other people complain about scuffs on their machines.

Could be that those issues were already there and people were just claiming it happened during the moves, but who knows.

#963 1 year ago

Having brought a machine this year I think the tech crew did an amazing job. I know they had to do something to the machine at one point, but the only way I could tell anything was done to the machine at all was because I cleaned both sides of the playfield glass (I even gave my daughter a whole lecture while setting up on how I clean both sides of the glass so there are no smudgy finger prints on the back side of the glass). When I broke down the machine on Sunday there were a few sets of prints on the back side of the glass..... and that's it. just some finger prints. I think that's a total win. Great job guys!

Quoted from eabundy:

#964 1 year ago

For any of you "kids" that might be on Tik Tok here are a few videos I made of the show....

The adventures of bringing my Wizard to Pintastic: https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRedUJNn/?k=1

Pintastic Thursday: https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRJUW7qu/?k=1

Pintastic Friday: https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRJUaSvf/?k=1

Pintastic Sunday: https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRJU771V/?k=1

If you are not on Tik Tok I believe you can still just view these using the links above.

And you know the deal.... if you are on Tik Tok... like and follow and all that

#965 1 year ago
    Quoted from radial_head:

Re-reading this, I absolutely apologize for my tone here. The tech crew did, and always does, A PHENOMENAL JOB working on the games, for free, when things go wrong. Stellar work. Always. And with a smile. (and while I'm at it, your game played great in my book Eric).
    I heard of a head a few early SS got dropped on the body which left massive dents in the rails when it was moved. Could have been that the head wasn't strapped down properly when it was set up. Could have been in the move. I heard a few other people complain about scuffs on their machines.
    Could be that those issues were already there and people were just claiming it happened during the moves, but who knows.

There was absolutely an assumption made here. I think Tony could chime in but no heads were dropped, or folded down when the machines were moved. If there was damage to the rail, or head I can assure you tech crew was not involved. We used a pinmover to move the machines around, and we did it carefully.

#966 1 year ago
    Quoted from Redfive05:

Having brought a machine this year I think the tech crew did an amazing job. I know they had to do something to the machine at one point, but the only way I could tell anything was done to the machine at all was because I cleaned both sides of the playfield glass (I even gave my daughter a whole lecture while setting up on how I clean both sides of the glass so there are no smudgy finger prints on the back side of the glass). When I broke down the machine on Sunday there were a few sets of prints on the back side of the glass..... and that's it. just some finger prints. I think that's a total win. Great job guys!

Thanks, I actually went around in the morning, and cleaned the glass on a bunch of machines, however did not slide the glass out to clean the back side, as I was too afraid of having an oops on someone else's machine.

#967 1 year ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

My opinion and observations:
    Show was good. Freeplay area had the least amount of pins I've seen so far (been every year), but the sponsors of the show can't control that. Vendor area was also lacking, which I'm sure is also out of their control. Hotel area appeared clean in regards to the area the average show visitor sees(I didn't, and would never again actually book a stay overnight at the host hotel). Everything I played worked pretty well, with just a few hiccups here and there. One game I wanted to play was frozen (Stern Star Wars). Took a walk over to the help desk area (whatever you call it), stood there for a bit (helper was in a conversation), gave up walked back, tried to un F it, no luck, went back (he was still in full conversation, didn't notice me).

Please understand that we have processes in place to have repairs attended to. First is to scan the QRC code which you stated you did not want to do, got it. Second, when you walked up to the big yellow and blue station board there was a white board complete with marker for you to log a needed repair. The repair team gets hundreds of repair requests and someone walking up to a tech to get a repair done unless it is late night will probably get forgotten.

#968 1 year ago
    Quoted from Redfive05:

(I even gave my daughter a whole lecture while setting up on how I clean both sides of the glass so there are no smudgy finger prints on the back side of the glass).

At home I use cotton inking gloves so I don’t leave fingerprints on the inside.

https://www.cartoonsupplies.com/content/gloves-animation-cel-inking-painting-now-3-sizes

#969 1 year ago
    Quoted from brimc:

Please understand that we have processes in place to have repairs attended to. First is to scan the QRC code which you stated you did not want to do, got it. Second, when you walked up to the big yellow and blue station board there was a white board complete with marker for you to log a needed repair. The repair team gets hundreds of repair requests and someone walking up to a tech to get a repair done unless it is late night will probably get forgotten.

The QR system worked great. The 3 games I reported got fixed quickly.

#970 1 year ago
    Quoted from radial_head:

I'm a little new to the hobby as far as shows go and I've only been to Pintastic and the Allentown show. From what I can tell, the vibe at the Allentown show is the same vibe that exists at the York and Saratoga Show. Pintastic is a totally different animal. It's attached to a hotel, the freeplay and vendor and tournament feel a little more polished than other shows in the area. I would guess that this show has a structure that's closer to the likes of Expo or SFGE or TPF but having never been to any of those I'm just guessing. I think the in-between of it seems not like a parts and broken pieces of trash flurry like the Allentown show and not quite as robust as TPF or some of the bigger "conventions" it makes it a tougher sell for vendors. Plus, let's be honest, we're all a bunch of cheap New Englanders who aren't going to shell out for stuff like people in other parts of the country might.
    The Tournament really felt like it excelled this year and was a lot of fun to watch. I do wish there were a bit more A/V planning on the tournament side (there was talk of some big screen action but I guess that all got sidelined). Big ups to everybody who played, TD'd, tech'd, and helped out there. Thanks to Backhand for capturing it all and making it available for view.
    I heard a number of people report their games getting damaged (somewhat severely in my book) when the crew was shuffling games around. Hoping next year I can spend some time volunteering on the tech side of things to help out. Mistakes happen and it sucks (my game got rained on the first year I brought it) and I saw some damaged side rails I'm assuming because a game wasn't strapped down properly in one way or another when moving. Bringing fragile antique games to a show like this, you have to expect that some 8

Got to say I am extremely aggravated with your damage comment as well " I heard " is different than I had seen. Tony, Eric, Paul, Chris, and I as well as all other tech team volunteers have well over 150 years of technical experience repairing and moving machines. Most of the crew are high OCD when it comes to being careful when working on or moving other people's pins. To our knowledge there was no damage to any machines caused by the tech team reported. If there had been such a report, myself, Tony, or Eric, would have done everything in our power to make it right including bringing it to my shop and doing the repairs myself. Your should really stick to your opinion in your review and stay away from what you heard. There was a machine that was damaged last show where the owner dropped the head on the side rails and damaged them. This show two individuals dropped the body to one of their machines and spring the cabinet. Please stick to facts and not what you heard.

#971 1 year ago

I guess I'll let the owner of the game in question chime in. He's in the thread. He's the one who pointed it out to me. He has a better reputation in this thread than I do apparently. I'll let him chime in or message me about what happened and explain what I saw.

I'll amend my post to mention more what I saw.

Sorry my post came off like I was slamming the best tech crew at the best show with the best and most number of games on the floor running.

#972 1 year ago
    Quoted from radial_head:

None of the heads get folded down when they are moved by the repair team. Always with lift tables or carts.

#974 1 year ago

Weirdest thing I saw was dudes literally carrying pinball machines out the door during break down Saturday night. (Not pintastic crew or staff)

There were hand trucks everywhere!!

#975 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Weirdest thing I saw was dudes literally carrying pinball machines out the door during break down Saturday night. (Not pintastic crew or staff)

For me it was easier to carry out, if it was going into a pickup truck. Leave legs on until it's in front of tailgate, then hold up front, pop 2 legs off and slide in. If I have help thats the easiest way. If I'm on my own I use the hand truck. (I had one in my truck as well).

#976 1 year ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

Parents allowed children to have free reign showing little respect for other peoples property.

Didn't see too many unsupervised young children at the show this time. A few years back, a young boy was trying to slam all five balls into the shooter lane on my Gottlieb "Sky Line" and managed to bend the ball lift mechanism inside the game. It was balky the rest of the show, but I repaired it when I got home.

#977 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Didn't see too many unsupervised young children at the show this time. A few years back, a young boy was trying to slam all five balls into the shooter lane on my Gottlieb "Sky Line" and managed to bend the ball lift mechanism inside the game. It was balky the rest of the show, but I repaired it when I got home.

I was crestfallen to see the sign on cris-cross that it had been broken only a few hours into the show.

To survive 90 years and get broke at a show is a crotch kick.

#978 1 year ago

I'd like to address the "I heard a number of people report their games getting damaged (somewhat severely in my book) when the crew was shuffling games around." comment.

I'm the lead of the Repair Team (aka tech crew). NO ONE "reported" to me (or Gabe or Gerard or Nancy) any cases of games getting damaged "when the crew was shuffling games around." I'm not denying it might have happened because I wasn't present everywhere at every moment of the show; if you have concrete facts to back up your claim then I would appreciate your contacting me privately so Pintastic can make things right with anyone whose game was actually damaged BY OUR TEAM (this goes for anyone reading this thread). As Eric noted, he and I shifted a number of games in the Free Play room Saturday morning to even out the line-up, and we took great care with every machine we moved.

As for the damage to Criss-cross that was indeed heart-breaking; while we try to monitor folks in the Free Play area we can't be at every game every second of the day. It gets harder for us to monitor games late at night - especially after midnight - because our volunteer pool shrinks to almost no one (poor David Scruggs probably gets an hour or two of sleep each evening because he often is the entire security staff due to lack of volunteers). If you do see someone abuse a machine in any way then please report it to a tech IMMEDIATELY; abuse is grounds for eviction from the show.

We own pinball machines ourselves; we do our utmost to treat every game at the show as if it were our own. Allegations of this sort can do great damage to the show if those who bring games to the show get the idea we DON'T treat their games with every bit of respect they deserve.

Tony Dziedzic
    Repair Team Lead

#979 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

#980 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I was crestfallen to see the sign on cris-cross that it had been broken only a few hours into the show.

Steve had another vintage game damaged at another different show, again by an unsupervised child. I think a good rule of thumb is to avoid bringing any game earlier than 1967 or thereabouts. Not that I mean to discourage bringing older games, but bring them at your own peril. I felt like a dick having to paste labels on my game, both instructive and prohibitive, but as I mentioned before, I had a game slightly damaged a few years ago.
    This time, I just didn't have anything else ready to go which I was offering for sale, so I had to bring a five ball push-up game again.

#981 1 year ago

I’d like to add that we did look to see if we could fix the issue with Criss Cross, but unfortunately the owner was correct that it was beyond our ability to resolve on site.

But more importantly, I’d like to thank the people who reported via the website or by speaking with us to point out anything that wasn’t functioning correctly. I’ve been and will continue to be a game bringer bc despite the risks and the labor involved, there’s a great community of people who really just love pinball at heart, help us keep the games going, and it’s a blast to share my pins with that crowd!

#982 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

That was mine. Most unfortunate, and it happened because someone violently pushed in the coin slide. I mentioned elsewhere in the thread that I accepted an offer on the machine-- I got a note from the new owner yesterday, and he's already got it back up and running.

I love to bring my old games to shows for a couple of reasons... I've got games that literally almost no one alive has ever played... and they are a little smaller and a lot lighter-- making them easier to extricate from my basement.

#983 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Steve had another vintage game damaged at another different show, again by an unsupervised child.

Ah the Saratoga show, where a kid was trying to hang from the shooter rod and bent it. Then his father yelled at me because he was "a potential customer". I was not nice in my response to him.

#984 1 year ago

I'm guessing Radial is talking about some damage, that was pointed out to me by someone else on my game Saturday night, that is causing this uproar.

There were some dents in the siderails (like the kind that you get from cranking the crap out of a folded down head), that weren't there upon arrival. I was pissed at first, but then moved on, since when I originally got the game, it did have actual head vs. rail damage, which I mostly fixed back to about 90% by running a paint stirrer through the glass track, and figured I could just do the same when I eventually got around to it (You can see the original imperfections in a TNT video that was shot on Friday...because I just checked, and they were nothing like what was there Saturday).

Saturday's were like someone did it again. A few of us were discussing it, and trying to figure it out, because there would be no reason for a head to be folded down for a move in the room. Definitely weird. The few of us that were talking about it agreed.

When I packed the game Sunday morning, upon closer, more sober inspection, the dents didn't line up with the folded head, were up way closer to the backbox diagonally across from each other, and were more convex than concave, like someone gave the game a really good, sharp, smack or twist on the siderail/cabinet, causing the cabinet to go out of square for a split second, causing it to pop up a bit.

If I thought it was tech staff, or any staff member for that matter, I would have told them...considering I spent a lot time chatting with them throughout the entire show, joking, busting chops, etc. I didn't even mention it to anyone that morning, as my helper and I both agreed it was going to be a quick fix.

I can only chalk it up to some (un)jolly green giant getting their ass kicked by an old, unassuming Gottlieb, and trying to slap/slide save a game with an already janky cabinet. Maybe someone sat on the game to pose for a glamourous picture with it?

I'm not even mad, as I've honestly been thinking about building/buying a new cabinet for it, sooner than later.

SO I just wanted to clear the air, and end any perceived drama, that had I known it would have turned into this, I wouldn't have even mentioned it to anyone. Another paint stirrer wedged in the tracks, and a couple of taps with a rubber dead-blow, and it'll be back to good.

It'll be back to the next show!

#985 1 year ago
    Quoted from brimc:

Sorry, I only walked up to them to let them know it was F'd up, I obviously wasn't expecting someone to run right over and fix it. The second time I walked over I mentioned it to Eric, who I didn't realize was volunteering. Eric and I have known each other for years, so he suggested I power cycle it and told me where the power switch was (I know my way around many things in this hobby, and do 99.9% of all my own repairs, which Eric knows). Stupid me still couldn't find the damn power switch, as I don't own, and haven't worked on the newer Sterns with the relocated power switch.
    So again, I wasn't expecting them to fix it, just wanted to let someone know. I'm sorry I didn't notice the board to write on either.
    And yes, I refuse to scan anything to do so, as first off, the system failed me miserably last year after I had to mount a machine to scan that stupid thing tryingto find out if a machine was for sale(drop down menu led me to "For sale, Not for sale" with neither checked off, and second I have a new phone that I'm ready to smash as I hate it. Thanks for the heads up though, next time I'll move on to a machine that works and let the next person scan the thingee.

#986 1 year ago

Glad Mr. National cleared this up here.

I really was trying to hone in on the fact that everybody here does a fantastic job, and there's so many moving parts to this show, and any complains anybody has, should be taken with a grain of salt (on the gentle end) or suck a fart right out of my ass (on the more aggressive end). This show is a blessing and I'm looking forward to the next one.

The tech team, as they've stated and we've all seen, do an extremely thorough job and do excellent work FOR FREE for all of our games that we bring, because, at the end of the day, it's those games that make the show great and go off without a hook.

I'll admit some fault here: I shouldn't have repeated the story about RoboWar. That's someone else's game and not problem. It was expressed to me that the game was damaged during the move, but it was not explicitly stating that the crew was the one doing the moving. I realize my comments filled in some gaps there.

Quoted from eabundy:

For me it was easier to carry out, if it was going into a pickup truck.

Again, I saw lots of this and was filling in some memory gaps here and there.

I've apologized personally to both Brian and Tony about the comments and I'd like to point out, again, that the post was more inclined to help cast aversions to negative comments about the show. Sorry I caused this stir.

#987 1 year ago

I don't know what the solution is to this, but I'm open for suggestions. I see kids fairly often being abusive to the games. This year's standout was a kid playing Sonic. When the ball ended, he leapt up and slammed his elbow down on the lockdown bar. The father (who sounds like he's involved with a co-op) gently said "don't do that". The Sonic designer joked and said "as long as I can buy the part here at the show, I don't care what breaks". But if I saw that happen to one of my pins, you're off the pins for a month. And I'd be saying that through clenched teeth. If the dad doesn't seem to care, and the owner doesn't -seem- to care, why is it still bothering me today? Eesh.

Either way, another great show!

#988 1 year ago
    Quoted from arcyallen:

If the dad doesn't seem to care

It's endemic. I know a guy who owns a very high grade restoration 16 cylinder Cadillac. A couple of years ago, a father picked up his kid, plopped the kid down on a fender, and wanted to take a picture. The father couldn't understand why my friend went ballistic on him for assuming it was ok to do this to his $250,000+ car. The father's response "what's the big deal? It's just an old car". Dad is lucky he left with all of his teeth.

#989 1 year ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

It's endemic. I know a guy who owns a very high grade restoration 16 cylinder Cadillac. A couple of years ago, a father picked up his kid, plopped the kid down on a fender, and wanted to take a picture. The father couldn't understand why my friend went ballistic on him for assuming it was ok to do this to his $250,000+ car. The father's response "what's the big deal? It's just an old car". Dad is lucky he left with all of his teeth.

A guy who used to be a fixture at the PA shows told me that he once caught a woman changing her kid's diaper on his newly restored Gottlieb "Central Park"!

#990 1 year ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

It's why anytime my wife and I are at a car show we have a rule that someone has to be with our bus at all times. At a show once and the wife and I saw a rare vw roll in so we went over to chat. When we came back to our bus a family OPENED my slider door and let their kids frolic in the bus. One kid was hanging off of a fold out shelf and nearly broke the supports. All while the parents just sat there taking selfies..... Luckily the wife stepped in first as she could see that I was about to go macho man randy savage on the dad

#991 1 year ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

I have restored muscle cars; this is one reason I don't got to any shows now that the kids are grown up. Joe average public is utterly indifferent to your property if not downright abusive.

7933762-RTS (resized).jpg7933762-RTS (resized).jpgdeploy the fleet (resized).jpgdeploy the fleet (resized).jpg

#992 1 year ago
    Quoted from arcyallen:

I don't know what the solution is to this, but I'm open for suggestions. I see kids fairly often being abusive to the games. This year's standout was a kid playing Sonic. When the ball ended, he leapt up and slammed his elbow down on the lockdown bar. The father (who sounds like he's involved with a co-op) gently said "don't do that". The Sonic designer joked and said "as long as I can buy the part here at the show, I don't care what breaks". But if I saw that happen to one of my pins, you're off the pins for a month. And I'd be saying that through clenched teeth. If the dad doesn't seem to care, and the owner doesn't -seem- to care, why is it still bothering me today? Eesh.
    Either way, another great show!

If you observe a machine being abused - regardless of whether the owner seems to care - please report it to a member of the Repair Team (yellow vest). Abuse is clearly stated in the Pintastic Code of Conduct (the big banner next to the entrance of the Free Play room) as grounds for possible ejection from the show. I would be very happy to politely point that fact out to any attendee (or their parent).

#993 1 year ago

I've seen a pinball machine used for a changing table before at a show as well. I've also seen a small kid, maybe 3 years old, placed sitting up on the lockdown bar area for pictures with a game they liked. I didn't do anything about the changing table thing, since I was far away, but I quickly told the parent of the kid sitting on the game that it was dangerous, and he could break the glass. I knew full well that was unlikely, but I bet they didn't think about ever doing that again. The mom grabbed the kid like it was sitting on lava

For my part, I have never had a machine treated poorly by anyone aside from the general public, and even then it was relatively minor stuff. The worst I saw at Pintastic this year was when people put drinks/food on games that somehow made it into the room. The volunteers roaming the Free Play area took care of that quickly it seemed.

I have never stayed in any of the rooms, as the drive isn't terribly far for me, so I commute back and forth. I have used friend's rooms for the bathroom though, as they were kind enough to help me avoid the bog of eternal stench bathrooms downstairs. The rooms did not seem very nice at a glance, but I was in and out, so I didn't test the walls for sponginess like someone else mentioned ha.

#994 1 year ago
    Quoted from MaxAsh:

I have used friend's rooms for the bathroom though, as they were kind enough to help me avoid the bog of eternal stench bathrooms downstairs. The rooms did not seem very nice at a glance, but I was in and out, so I didn't test the walls for sponginess like someone else mentioned ha.

Ah the old "hey can I take a dump in your room" move?

Hey I don't blame you!

#995 1 year ago

Does the folks who run the monster/ horror poster booth between free play and vendor hall have a website?

Upset I just didn’t suck it up and buy the poster I wanted on Saturday.

#996 1 year ago
    Quoted from Langless28:

Does the folks who run the monster/ horror poster booth between free play and vendor hall have a website?

His card only had a name on it. I found their instagram from that.

https://www.instagram.com/weirdo_wonderland_ct/

#997 1 year ago
    Quoted from Langless28:Does the folks who run the monster/ horror poster booth between free play and vendor hall have a website?

His shop is down the road from me. If you want anything let me know what you wanted and I can talk to him.

#998 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Ah the old "hey can I take a dump in your room" move?
    Hey I don't blame you!

Yup. I did this during the fall show. I went into the public bathroom and somehow EVERY toilet seat had literal feces on it. Like... how... why? Craziness.

#999 1 year ago
    Quoted from MaxAsh:

Yup. I did this during the fall show. I went into the public bathroom and somehow EVERY toilet seat had literal feces on it. Like... how... why? Craziness.

I went into one and someone had left a triple decker.

#1000 1 year ago

It's the hotel's version of Cairn. Some find it "artsy".
    cairn (resized).jpgcairn (resized).jpg

There are 1,257 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 26.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-real-official-pintastic-new-england-show-info/page/20?hl=grandnational007 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.