Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,257 posts
  • 160 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AEF8A68C-AE46-4255-8D8D-25EA4BADCEFB (resized).png
    20220807_172818.jpg
    20220807_172731.jpg
    20220807_172550.jpg
    FDD5246E-4BC8-4CB8-BBE4-865D6F618DF5 (resized).jpeg
    20220623_190825[1] (resized).jpg
    290871166_10166603246480506_8702219675689729240_n (resized).jpg
    289014991_10166603246550506_2781155771863414598_n (resized).jpg
    289000327_10166603246520506_7863593074650008910_n (resized).jpg
    289017282_10166603246085506_6525515561217938380_n (resized).jpg
    13654268_10210457274455031_7422676064669589436_n (resized).jpg
    20220623_182619[1] (resized).jpg
    20220623_182620[1] (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2022-07-27-14-29-43 (resized).png
    C925F449-DD2D-49C3-B9EE-5231E3343A6D (resized).jpeg
    C86325F3-3B8E-4EDF-8333-9B78982B244F (resized).jpeg
    There are 1,257 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 26.
    #501 2 years ago
    Quoted from riggy469:

That was a Deadpool Pro from the Western Mass Pinball Club. We co-hosted the club room with SNH. When you walked in, SNH was the left wall, we were the right wall (along with the cocktail game). Glad you had a chance to check the room out, we are going to work on better (and more clear) signage for next year.

Yeah I also wasn't clear on if the club room was just for club members so I sorta just walked in, took a peek around, and walked out because I didn't want to chance having any sort of awkward confrontation... Guess I know now for next year!

#502 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I know the story. Some kid bent or broke the shooter assembly. That's another show that I won't bring any push-up game to. Well, it's kind of a moot point now.

I encourage you to consider it for the Saratoga Silverball! A lot of the feedback from other shows was taken into consideration and the volunteers were all briefed and aware. At the top of the list was behavior and treatment of the machines! Without game bringers there is no show. Good games bring good crowds. It’s not worth it to allow abusive, disrespectful people to ruin the show just to make a buck. We did a pretty good job this year and everyone who did bring a game seemed pleased with the experience. Next year we’re working to make it bigger with more vendors! Hope to see many new AND familiar faces.

Pintastic was great, hopefully my other post about Halloween wasn’t misconstrued. The games were all treated pretty well and I saw several volunteers/staff throughout the show.
    There were TONS of newbies, and the shaking of some games was probably a bad habit picked up by watching techs and experienced pinheads coupled with newbies not understanding the nuance and finesse involved.

My only complaints and suggestions would be to make it more obvious how to report issues and where to find staff. The online portal was awesome, I reported Robo War was out of credits. However, if you watch Todd’s stream, Pinball New’s stream and myself spending 6 hours Saturday in the freeplay room, it was nearly always empty. That was a mega bummer, it was one of the games I really enjoy playing when given the chance! In the future folks who bring Gottlieb's like that should consider adding a simple credit button running the wires through the coin return. It’s easy, reversible and harmless.

Not sure if there was a tech area or staff booth, couldn’t find it. In the future it would be awesome to have something prominent to report issues, check the status of past reports, and a general good place to answer questions. The main place I went to ask questions was the box office, they tried their best.

Realistically those are small qualms and the show was EXCELLENT! I really, really enjoyed it and will definitely attend all 4 days in June and bring a game or two! Almost brought Target Alpha and regret seconding guessing myself and not bringing it!

#503 2 years ago
    Quoted from somenerd:

Yeah I also wasn't clear on if the club room was just for club members so I sorta just walked in, took a peek around, and walked out because I didn't want to chance having any sort of awkward confrontation... Guess I know now for next year!

Same situation as many other stated. Went in and asked if it was okay to be there, lol! Saw a lot of familiar faces so that helped too. Club room was great, thanks to whoever brought Time Fantasy. Finally got Snail Time for the first time ever after spending 5 hours playing the one at Allentown!
    What a blast!!

#504 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

My only complaints and suggestions would be to make it more obvious how to report issues and where to find staff....Not sure if there was a tech area or staff booth, couldn’t find it. In the future it would be awesome to have something prominent to report issues, check the status of past reports, and a general good place to answer questions. The main place I went to ask questions was the box office, they tried their best.

The Repair Station in the Southwest corner of the room had a whiteboard, and some people wrote problems up there. The preferred method is to report problems through MyFlipR, as stated on the game card. The Tech Team doesn't have a person assigned to take reports; they are just working off repair tickets. In the past, we had paper forms for those without smart phones, and we could reinstate that if really necessary. We also need to enhance MyFlipR so that the staff at Game Registration can enter a ticket as an easy step from their screens OR have a dedicated laptop for entering trouble tickets.

As you might expect, the whiteboard, paper forms, telling a staff member, or ticket-entry laptop methods all depend on noting the correct game number. We had several duplicate titles this year! I hope this gives you, and all the game bringers, more insight into how we want to handle game outages. Rest assured that we relentlessly remind them of the alternative ways to deal with solid-state games that don't have a free play pricing option, too.
    .................David Marston

#505 2 years ago

Still confused. Are the Extra Ball Lounge room and the SNH room two separate things? If I have general admission what can I access?

From Pintastic web site:

While our main Free Play Room is packed with pinball and other games, we bring in more for those who buy Premium and Limited Edition admission packages. Our Extra Ball Lounge℠ is a separate room down the hall that will have about 20-30 specially-selected pinball machines, mostly very recent titles and pimped-out games from Gabe’s private collection. Some of the game titles may be repeats of games placed elsewhere; some will only be found in this room.

For Premium badge-holders, the room provides another place to play after 10:00 PM each night until 6:00 AM the next morning, escaping the main free play crowds.

For Limited Edition badge-holders, the room is open continuously from Thursday at 11:00 AM to Sunday at 6:00 AM! That’s 67 HOURS of straight Pinball! Can you handle it?

NOT AVAILABLE WITH GENERAL ADMISSION

#506 2 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Still confused. Are the Extra Play Lounge room and the SNH room two separate things? If I have general admission what can I access?
    From Pintastic web site:
    While our main Free Play Room is packed with pinball and other games, we bring in more for those who buy Premium and Limited Edition admission packages. Our Extra Ball Lounge℠ is a separate room down the hall that will have about 20-30 specially-selected pinball machines, mostly very recent titles and pimped-out games from Gabe’s private collection. Some of the game titles may be repeats of games placed elsewhere; some will only be found in this room.
    For Premium badge-holders, the room provides another place to play after 10:00 PM each night until 6:00 AM the next morning, escaping the main free play crowds.
    For Limited Edition badge-holders, the room is open continuously from Thursday at 11:00 AM to Sunday at 6:00 AM! That’s 67 HOURS of straight Pinball! Can you handle it?
    NOT AVAILABLE WITH GENERAL ADMISSION

Extra ball lounge is a different room than club room. Only accessible with a multi day pass.

#507 2 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

The Repair Station in the Southwest corner of the room had a whiteboard, and some people wrote problems up there. The preferred method is to report problems through MyFlipR, as stated on the game card. The Tech Team doesn't have a person assigned to take reports; they are just working off repair tickets. In the past, we had paper forms for those without smart phones, and we could reinstate that if really necessary. We also need to enhance MyFlipR so that the staff at Game Registration can enter a ticket as an easy step from their screens OR have a dedicated laptop for entering trouble tickets.
    As you might expect, the whiteboard, paper forms, telling a staff member, or ticket-entry laptop methods all depend on noting the correct game number. We had several duplicate titles this year! I hope this gives you, and all the game bringers, more insight into how we want to handle game outages. Rest assured that we relentlessly remind them of the alternative ways to deal with solid-state games that don't have a free play pricing option, too.

If you are able to automatically text or email the owner if a game is marked as down, that would be a huge plus. My game was marked as down in the system for some reason.

#508 2 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Extra ball lounge is a different room than club room. Only accessible with a multi day pass.

giphy-16.gifgiphy-16.gif
    #509 2 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

I would also like to add that Pintastic techs were outfitted in bright neon yellow vests this year. There were a minimum of two techs on the floor at all times and a few times we had four techs. Two machines on the floor were brought with credit issues and the tech team worked diligently to keep games on those two machines. Robo war was not one of these machines that was brought to our attention as needing credits. Robo war was worked on a few times during the show by the owner and I know one time he was chasing ground issues which on that era Gottlieb can cause the game to look like it is in attract mode but in actuallity the game is locked up. Two occasions this year machines went down and the owners avoided the repair teams attempts to contact them to have the machine looked at. Both instances were first time attendees / first time game bringers and they did not know about the tech teams involvement in the show. All in all it was a great show for the tech team and being able to keep machines running, besides the normal new buyers wanting to keep their machines off there were only six machines that went down with catastrophic failures.

#510 2 years ago
    Quoted from RatShack:

If you are able to automatically text or email the owner if a game is marked as down, that would be a huge plus. My game was marked as down in the system for some reason.

Notifying the owner of a down machine is done manually by one of the tech staff. Some game bringers do not want to be notified of minor issues and tell us to go and repair as necessary unless it is a major repair. During peak times notifying and getting the owner to their machine can be extremely time consuming and usually ends up with a machine being down longer than it needs to be, sometimes hours.
    As with all processes there is a learning curve, we were unaware that as we were doing repairs and marking them as complete in the system that they were not being cleared as completed. I would suspect your machine was involved.

#511 2 years ago
    Quoted from radial_head:

I had a blast this weekend and want to thank the judges and people for the love of Atlantis that won "best in show 70s EM". It clocked in at 578 plays this weekend without a single issue (and from what I could see, kicked everybody's ass, as it does to me, every time I play it). One dim bulb and that's all.
    Thanks for such an amazing show. Glad to have had a million drinks with all of you, playing a bunch of pinball with all of you, and talked a bunch of shop (and smack) with all of you. Peace and love.
    [quoted image]

The short yellow rollover guide on the right on the top of the playfield was on backwards. I my noticed because I did the same thing on my Atlantis.

#512 2 years ago
    Quoted from 1stpinballdave:

The short yellow rollover guide on the right on the top of the playfield was on backwards. I my noticed because I did the same thing on my Atlantis.

Thanks for the tip! Where should I send the ribbon?

#513 2 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

I've been following this thread but I'll be honest in that I'm relatively sure I've probably missed something but WRT getting info about down machines in an efficient manner...

I'm surprised you've not considered labeling of machines with a individualized QR code. This could link to an electronic feedback system (issues or comments) in general. The code ensures that the correct game is registered and would be easy for folks with phones to submit an issue and maybe even add a pic or whatever. But it directs them to the system and populates the important data for them. Might even be a way to get more info about said game. Just a though.

#514 2 years ago
    Quoted from bakerhillpins:

I've been following this thread but I'll be honest in that I'm relatively sure I've probably missed something but WRT getting info about down machines in an efficient manner...
    I'm surprised you've not considered labeling of machines with a individualized QR code. This could link to an electronic feedback system (issues or comments) in general. The code ensures that the correct game is registered and would be easy for folks with phones to submit an issue and maybe even add a pic or whatever. But it directs them to the system and populates the important data for them. Might even be a way to get more info about said game. Just a though.

They do have a QR code, url, etc.

Honestly it never occurred to me to pull out my phone, scan it, and make a report. I'm too busy enjoying everything else going on. Path of least resistance...

#515 2 years ago

All machines have tag on them with a scannable QR Code, once scanned a window opens up which you can select repair and there is an area to describe the issue.

#516 2 years ago

LOL, as I suspected. I didn't pick up on that in this conversation. Amazing that people still got the game wrong?

Quoted from brimc:

All machines have tag on them with a scannable QR Code, once scanned a window opens up which you can select repair and there is an area to describe the issue.

Does it auto populate the game #? Assuming then all of the incorrect game IDs came from the white board or non online entries?

#517 2 years ago

LOL, as I suspected. I didn't pick up on that in this conversation. Amazing that people still got the game wrong?

Does it auto populate the game #? Assuming then all of the incorrect game IDs came from the white board or non online entries?

Yes, the program auto populates the game number. Most people who use the white board only put the game name and not the game number. The amount of white board entries for the entire show was roughly 12 machines, most repair reporting went via the system. I have no idea where the claim that there were incorrect game numbers as we did not experience this. As stated in one of my previous posts we were having an issue with the software where one of the techs would go in and close the repair ticket. Instead of the ticket getting closed and removed from the repair log the ticket was being reopened and no information from the tech was being saved, this was discovered and corrected within a few hour period. As for non online registered games they go through a process when the game enters the building and gets immediately entered into the system. Machines are not allowed into any room without a tag.

#518 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I miss being there and think of all the fun I had. I wish I was back there now. That's the sign of a really successful show. I hope to see you all there again in June!

Coming from you I take that as a huge compliment! Your always ready to leave after one day at any other show. The fact you missed being there is huge indication we are doing something right.

#519 2 years ago
    Quoted from brimc:

Yes, the program auto populates the game number. Most people who use the white board only put the game name and not the game number. The amount of white board entries for the entire show was roughly 12 machines, most repair reporting went via the system. I have no idea where the claim that there were incorrect game numbers as we did not experience this. As stated in one of my previous posts we were having an issue with the software where one of the techs would go in and close the repair ticket. Instead of the ticket getting closed and removed from the repair log the ticket was being reopened and no information from the tech was being saved, this was discovered and corrected within a few hour period. As for non online registered games they go through a process when the game enters the building and gets immediately entered into the system. Machines are not allowed into any room without a tag.

To build on what Brimc is explaining, we log all machines into the MyFlipR system. There were times this weekend where certain games may not have had a tag displayed. Outside of Thursday, when we did a bulk printing run of tags in the early evening, the untagged machines were almost all a batch of staff-owned pins that weren’t flagged to me until late on Saturday. (We printed the cards but got diverted onto other tasks so they simply didn’t get applied). Very VERY rarely, a tag would go missing from a game bringers game, but we printed replacements for those as soon as we were made aware.

We’ve been refining this system over the past few shows, and have made some big leaps forward with it. My ambition for 2022 is to print cards as games arrive so that the URL Info is posted immediately upon set up. Our game bringers also shared some great feedback that we also plan to implement and we look forward to continuing to use this program to help our team monitor and service the games that are shared out on the free play floor and other locations for the show.

#520 2 years ago

MyFlipR 2.0 Pintastic 2022

#521 2 years ago

...labeling of machines with a individualized QR code....

Furthermore, each game has its game-specific URL posted on the game card, for those of you who don't do QR but are willing to type in a short URL. Game owners can log into MyFlipR and get more info about what's going on with their game. We have more enhancements planned.

#522 2 years ago
    Quoted from radial_head:

Thanks for the tip! Where should I send the ribbon?

Lol! I don't want your ribbon ...I have enough of my own. . I just happened to notice it and thought I'd send a friendly message so you know about it. I didn't think it was a good idea to mention it when we were doing the podcast and until I saw your post, didn't know how to contact you. Kindest regards.

#523 2 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

Furthermore, each game has its game-specific URL posted on the game card, for those of you who don't do QR but are willing to type in a short URL. Game owners can log into MyFlipR and get more info about what's going on with their game. We have more enhancements planned.

I'd never tap in a URL LOL... QR or some other format (even going to the pintastic website and linking in from there) or I'd probably just walk away and leave it.

It sounds to me like you guys have this well under control.

I never thought I'd actually ask for an app on my phone but if there was a generic one (i.e. used by all shows) that handled this function that's what I'd like to see. If it handled all the notifications, tracking, even all the show BS for signup etc (pre-registration). It could even track how well folks games perform for future shows (LOL I'm asking for a rating system, man how drunk I must be) and inclusion into tournaments or places where higher expectations for operation are necessary. Anyway, wish I had more time to code up this stuff. Too many irons.

#524 2 years ago

Great job with Pintastic this year. The volunteers did a great job!
    I enjoyed bring a couple games and found the check-in process very easy.

One suggestion I would make is to increase the size of the font used to display the price is a game was for sale. I spoke to a few people just to make sure it was not my eyesight. They all said they could not see the price from the players perspective.
    I know you can take out your phone and scan the QR code to get more information but if you are going to put the price on the green card, maybe make that price twice or three times the current size?

Looking forward to coming back in June.

#525 2 years ago

FYI this is the game bringer card we put on games. Photo credit to Martin Ayub of "Pinball News".

036-pintastic-2021 (resized).jpg036-pintastic-2021 (resized).jpg
    #526 2 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

FYI this is the game bringer card we put on games. Photo credit to Martin Ayub of "Pinball News".
    [quoted image]

Much bigger font needed along with YOU COULD OWN THIS GAME.

Green color means nothing to most people.

#527 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I don’t think it’s a huge deal or needs the hard sell but games for sale should have the price in a very large font.

#528 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I'd have thought the tech/bringer card would be placed under the glass where the price card would normally be in the apron.. but maybe too many folks put extended or custom crap in there?? All the way up there on the backbox, I agree, that's basically not useful. You'd have to slip between games to get up close enough to do anything with that. I'd be surprised if you could actually scan that code, let alone read that, while standing at the front of the game.

#529 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Was it color coded, green for sale?!? I didn’t even know that. And the prices were so small!

I wanted that Caribbean Cruise. Poor thing was is terrible shape with rotting rubbers. Really sad!

Damn thing reeked so badly of cigarettes I thought it was gonna ask me for a pack of Newport’s.

#530 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don’t think it’s a huge deal or needs the hard sell but games for sale should have the price in a very large font.

You have to make to obvious for the lowest common denominator and most of them will still miss it.

Trust me on this.

#531 2 years ago

Was it color coded, green for sale?!? I didn’t even know that. And the prices were so small!

I only noticed because I brought two pins, one for sale and the other not. One card was green, the other white.

#532 2 years ago

Okay, so I wasn't the only one. Was interested in a game but had zero clue about the green/white thing. Almost broke my neck trying to scan the QR, then had to scroll down to the pin # from a drop down, then it says "For Sale" with no "Yes or No" (waste of time and energy)...A minute later I figured out "Green" meant a game was for sale, but I couldn't read the prices without mounting the cab.

#533 2 years ago

I'd have thought the tech/bringer card would be placed under the glass where the price card would normally be in the apron.. but maybe too many folks put extended or custom crap in there?? All the way up there on the backbox, I agree, that's basically not useful. You'd have to slip between games to get up close enough to do anything with that. I'd be surprised if you could actually scan that code, let alone read that, while standing at the front of the game.

I wasn't going to say anything ...kind of don't want to be a pain in the ass but I think the card is too large. Whether you put it on the pf glass or back glass, it covers something that the player should see (on most games) I certainly don't want it under the pf glass. My .02

#534 2 years ago
    Quoted from 1stpinballdave:

I wasn't going to say anything ...kind of don't want to be a pain in the ass but I think the card is too large. Whether you put it on the pf glass or back glass, it covers something that the player should see (on most games) I certainly don't want it under the pf glass. My .02

You're entitled to an opinion. Though I'm not sure I see how putting it in place of the price card in the apron covers something they are supposed to see since it's on free play, but I do see your general point. There will be exceptions to prove the rule in some of the odd or old games.

What would you suggest be done that supports the requirements since you don't want it under the glass or that large? The show staff has to do something, and it needs to support the functions that the show needs. So something has to give.

#535 2 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

FYI this is the game bringer card we put on games.

We wanted a narrow (condensed) font for the game name, because it can be long, but that doesn't mean that we need to use the same font for all the other info on the card. I thought that it was also hard to read the phone numbers in that font. We should test out some fonts at a six-foot distance.

When you enter the URL that ends in the game number, you should be getting a screen that is specific to that exact game, not a scrollable list.

As one of the people who affixed cards to game heads, I can say that I tried very hard to avoid covering any part of the back that was critical to game play, including the ball-in-play lights on the EM backglasses.

#536 2 years ago

What about a large whiteboard with a list of everything for sale along with price drops and phone numbers? Some people don't want to bother with QR Codes and websites. A low tech solution may be best here.

#537 2 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

What about a large whiteboard with a list of everything for sale along with price drops and phone numbers? Some people don't want to bother with QR Codes and websites. A low tech solution may be best here.

I think making the FOR SALE and PRICE big and bold on the cards will work best.

#538 2 years ago

I had my card on the game like this.

20211119_121754-1-1 (resized).jpg20211119_121754-1-1 (resized).jpg
    #539 2 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

I think making the FOR SALE and PRICE big and bold on the cards will work best.

Yes, and games that are not FS should also state it in large print. The color difference means zip if many don't know.

#540 2 years ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

Yes, and games that are not FS should also state it in large print. The color difference means zip if many don't know.

OK we will be revamping the game cards with everyone's suggestions thank you.

#541 2 years ago

If someone was playing a game & I wanted to see the price on the card, I would just zoom in with my camera phone. That happens more & more in life as I get older

#542 2 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

I'd keep the color coding and simply add the print. It will become obvious once you look at a few and then it's a great visual indicator. Thanks for listening!

#543 2 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Is this big enough?

download (resized).jpegdownload (resized).jpeg
    #544 2 years ago

My only complaints and suggestions would be to make it more obvious how to report issues and where to find staff. The online portal was awesome, I reported Robo War was out of credits. However, if you watch Todd’s stream, Pinball New’s stream and myself spending 6 hours Saturday in the freeplay room, it was nearly always empty. That was a mega bummer, it was one of the games I really enjoy playing when given the chance! In the future folks who bring Gottlieb's like that should consider adding a simple credit button running the wires through the coin return. It’s easy, reversible and harmless.

I was the Robo-War guy...

It was a last minute bring, as travel plans/airport runs for Thanksgiving ALMOST got in the way, but I was able to make other arrangements; I admittedly had to leave the show for a few hours a couple times during the weekend to ferry people from BDL to my home in central CT who were arriving for the holiday, then back to Sturbridge...

That said, it was the first time I've ever had it out to a show, and I THOUGHT I had all the bugs worked out of it from nearly a year of heavy play testing and fixing it at home and parties, and it played flawlessly Thursday/Friday. I made sure to check the game every hour as to load credits (you can only load 20 at a time being an 80b), and I forgot to throw a diode jumper on to add credits at will (If I bring it to the next one, which I probably will, I'll print out a sign that says "Press HERE to ADD CREDITS", as it's not intuitive to those not familiar with the game/system.

I experienced the old gottlieb ground issue sometime on Saturday (as I acquired the game from a guy who previously had it for 28 years and it's still bone stock without the ground mods done, but has otherwise been flawless without the harnesses being all cut and bundled for reliability), and a tech found me in the tournament area to notify me. I ran over and traced it to a flaky trough switch, which caused the game to lose track of balls (As reproduced and correctly fixed at home). I was able to get it jerry-rigged and back up and running pretty quickly, and I found that a simple power cycle after adjusting the switch would unlock the game, but then it would obviously be out of credits if I wasn't standing there to add more. I appreciate the tech staff for notifying me when this occurred. I believe the quick fix had it running for the remainder of it's time on the show floor, when it had credits.

Since getting it home and re-setup and fixing the trough issue correctly, I have not since experienced the issue, after having a hundred or so games played on it by guests that were in for the holiday.

I watched the TNT stream later, and of course when Todd came by RW, it was out of credits on the stream (DOH!). Anybody that wanted to play it when it was out of credits, I sincerely apologize; I really did make the effort to check it hourly when I was on the premises, even late or early in the day, and left my personal key with others who checked it when I had to leave. I guess you could say I underestimated how popular this seemingly indiscrete old Gottlieb/Premier would be! This will be a non-issue in the future, I promise. (As many know, I'm a man of my word...)

All in all, I'm glad I brought it; being on the rarer side, I figured it was a quirky game that many people have never seen or played before, and those that did, told me how much they really enjoyed it, and even made a few offers to buy it, haha (Even though it wasn't for sale). I was even able to grab, what may be one of the last NOS translights for it, from Mayfair to replace my faded original.

Chances are, that it'll be back, and ready for 72 more straight hours of play.

#545 2 years ago

Thank you for bringing an unusual game. Many of us have experienced the old "but it was working fine when I left home" bugaboo when we bring games to shows; you're certainly not alone. Thank you also for doing your best to keep the game running.

"it would obviously be out of credits if I wasn't standing there to add more"

I'm the lead of the Pintastic repair team. This is one reason why we ask owners to entrust us with the key to their games; so we can address simple issues, such as no credits or a stuck ball, without having to involve the owner. WE DO NOT UNDERTAKE ANY OTHER REPAIRS WITHOUT THE EXPLICIT PERMISSION OF THE GAME OWNER. We are also frequently able to diagnose issues (e.g., broken flipper link) so when we *do* have to contact the owner we can tell them what's wrong AND give them the option to allow us to fix that issue. This policy means that at Pintastic we are more likely to have more operational games on the floor, leading to a better attendee experience.

Between Brian McCauley (my right-hand AND left-hand man) and myself we have 75+ YEARS of experience in repairing coin-op equipment; believe me, we're NOT going to screw up your game if we open the coin door to add credits. Our assistants may not always have the same level of expertise, but they DO know not to delve into any repairs without passing it up the chain and getting owner approval. We work really hard to earn and keep the trust of the game bringers.

Tony Dziedzic

#546 2 years ago

Oh no, I WOULD absolutely trust you folks under the hood and to not "screw up a game" and definitely not worry about having someone adding credits, not an issue at all...

I did leave an extra key at the desk for stuckies, etc. with Nancy; but I think the basic issue here was that nobody ever simply told any of the staff when the game was out of credits, haha. You guys can't attend to a game if nobody tells you about it. Again, it was my fault, and it won't be an issue in the future.

#547 2 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

Oh no, I WOULD absolutely trust you folks under the hood and to not "screw up a game" and definitely not worry about having someone adding credits, not an issue at all...
    I did leave an extra key at the desk for stuckies, etc. with Nancy; but I think the basic issue here was that nobody ever simply told any of the staff when the game was out of credits, haha. You guys can't attend to a game if nobody tells you about it. Again, it was my fault, and it won't be an issue in the future.

Thank you for bringing it! Watching strangers enjoy your personal game is a feeling like no other.

#548 2 years ago

I was the Robo-War guy...
    It was a last minute bring, as travel plans/airport runs for Thanksgiving ALMOST got in the way, but I was able to make other arrangements; I admittedly had to leave the show for a few hours a couple times during the weekend to ferry people from BDL to my home in central CT who were arriving for the holiday, then back to Sturbridge...
    That said, it was the first time I've ever had it out to a show, and I THOUGHT I had all the bugs worked out of it from nearly a year of heavy play testing and fixing it at home and parties, and it played flawlessly Thursday/Friday. I made sure to check the game every hour as to load credits (you can only load 20 at a time being an 80b), and I forgot to throw a diode jumper on to add credits at will (If I bring it to the next one, which I probably will, I'll print out a sign that says "Press HERE to ADD CREDITS", as it's not intuitive to those not familiar with the game/system.
    I experienced the old gottlieb ground issue sometime on Saturday (as I acquired the game from a guy who previously had it for 28 years and it's still bone stock without the ground mods done, but has otherwise been flawless without the harnesses being all cut and bundled for reliability), and a tech found me in the tournament area to notify me. I ran over and traced it to a flaky trough switch, which caused the game to lose track of balls (As reproduced and correctly fixed at home). I was able to get it jerry-rigged and back up and running pretty quickly, and I found that a simple power cycle after adjusting the switch would unlock the game, but then it would obviously be out of credits if I wasn't standing there to add more. I appreciate the tech staff for notifying me when this occurred. I believe the quick fix had it running for the remainder of it's time on the show floor, when it had credits.
    Since getting it home and re-setup and fixing the trough issue correctly, I have not since experienced the issue, after having a hundred or so games played on it by guests that were in for the holiday.
    I watched the TNT stream later, and of course when Todd came by RW, it was out of credits on the stream (DOH!). Anybody that wanted to play it when it was out of credits, I sincerely apologize; I really did make the effort to check it hourly when I was on the premises, even late or early in the day, and left my personal key with others who checked it when I had to leave. I guess you could say I underestimated how popular this seemingly indiscrete old Gottlieb/Premier would be! This will be a non-issue in the future, I promise. (As many know, I'm a man of my word...)
    All in all, I'm glad I brought it; being on the rarer side, I figured it was a quirky game that many people have never seen or played before, and those that did, told me how much they really enjoyed it, and even made a few offers to buy it, haha (Even though it wasn't for sale). I was even able to grab, what may be one of the last NOS translights for it, from Mayfair to replace my faded original.
    Chances are, that it'll be back, and ready for 72 more straight hours of play.

Haha, don’t sweat it! If I’m in the area, expect a PM! You owe me some RW games! It’s probably one of my favorites sys80s. Just a fantastic game with some of the most incredible sound design of the 80s. I wish Gottlieb gave the sound guy credit.
    You selling the old RW translite?

I was very close to bringing Target Alpha and was musing on bringing Caveman. I love Caveman, and it’s now a rare game since people hated it so much they all ended up in the trash heap! At my show it was a blast! If it wasn’t so obscenely heavy, I’d cart it to every show on the east coast. Caveman is truly a blast and unlike any other games out there!

#549 2 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Thank you for bringing it! Watching strangers enjoy your personal game is a feeling like no other.

I had one guy play mine for two hours straight. Thanked me up and down for bringing it. He said it was a favorite of his as a kid…

#550 2 years ago

As a previous System 80B owner, I wrestled with the credit issue on my Monte Carlo a couple years back. I came up with a simple and elegant solution to modernizing the game and any similar systems for "free" play. I replaced the switch behind the START button with a dual switch commonly used as a flipper switch from a 3 flipper game. This provides 2 independent switches with one button-press. One pair of contacts connect to the original start wires, the second pair of contacts connect to the coin switch. With this configuration, every time a person presses the start button, a credit is added.

There are 1,257 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 26.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-real-official-pintastic-new-england-show-info/page/11?hl=somenerd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.