(Topic ID: 193982)

The real history of the Pin Repair Guides?

By Whysnow

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

w (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

#1 6 years ago

It was before my time of active collecting/repairing, but I know there is a rich history involving these guides and hoping their are some old timers around that can help to educate some of us newer guys on the real and true history of the Pin Repair guides.

I bring this up mainly as I saw the recent post regarding these being put up for free and claims of copyright infringement for doing so. I was sent PMs from a few people telling me that these guides were originally a community project that was later usurped by a single individual that has now laid claim to the content.

Curious on the real history of these guides, whom created them, what happened and why they were scrubbed, etc... ?

#2 6 years ago

AFAIK what happened was repair info, pictures, etc were collected from various people.. websites, RGP posts probably, etc. They were combined into guides that grew over time and became a pretty strong resource for the community. Clay organized the info, added new content. So it was a mix of a lot of people's content, intertwined ideas and pictures. Ultimately organized into something coherent and helpful.

A donation link went up for the guides at some point.. to donate to a specific pinball museum for access and quite a few people who had their content used that were otherwise OK with it in a collective free guide, weren't so much any more and wanted it pulled from the guides. Too much effort to sort out, remove content, add new pictures, create new verbiage..and probably still would have had people irate that even ideas or concepts were used regardless. The shit-storm that happened lead to the guides being taken down. Then others to post mirrored links, bittorrent copies. So no new or updated guides, just copies floating about. And PINWIKI was born.

Just my own quick view of it, I'm sure there's a ton more back-story and drama.. but then there's a lot of things people aren't aware of unless they're actually behind-the-scenes or in the thick of it themselves.

#3 6 years ago

So the guides are really a conglomeration of info created by multiple people?
    Why is Clay claiming ownership of the material if that is the case? That makes it sound like there were actually a bunch of authors and a single editor and project manager.

Whom are the other players that should be thanked for these guides? They are great and were one of the first presents gifted to me when i entered the hobby.

#4 6 years ago

Please just google it. That was a serious shit show that doesn't need to be brought up again.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

Please just google it. That was a serious shit show that doesn't need to be brought up again.

I only bring it up due to the recent thread by clay pointing out that someone was publishing material he owns. I started to research it and seems to be shishow but also quite confusing. Seems everyone here jumped to help clay, but from what i see the content may be communal property?

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I only bring it up due to the recent thread by clay pointing out that someone was publishing material he owns. I started to research it and seems to be shishow but also quite confusing. Seems everyone here jumped to help clay, but from what i see the content may be communal property?

I think whatever the story is, it probably deserves to be told. Is it just me or does this actually sound pretty interesting?

#7 6 years ago

Google has the issue as it unfolded live still available of course. Here was when this issue was last discussed on Pinside:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/clays-guides-are-they-ever-coming-back

#8 6 years ago

Thank you.

#9 6 years ago

Shitshows are fine if you can't smell it

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Google has the issue as it unfolded live still available of course. Here was when this issue was last discussed on Pinside:

What's the google link? I've paid to have access to PINBALL ninja, and I like it, but the bigger story sounds interesting. Please share.

#11 6 years ago

Several of the guides are still available at this old pinball. The rest can be found easily by searching for them. I've heard two different stories about why they were pulled but they both came down to someone charging for them and others that had pictures in them cried foul.Luckily I was using them before laptops were a norm so made "WORD" files of them to print out when they were freely posted on the net.

#12 6 years ago

Typical lawyer BS going on in the world today. There are organized lawyers who buy small unprofitable companies knowing that there is a ton of money in suing other companies\people who are infringing on that small companies' intellectual property, patents mainly, that come with the company buyout by the lawyer outfit. Buy the patents, sue the unlawful users, who cares about the business itself.

In this particular case, the perp is taking unprotected public intellectual property and trying to profit from it. I hope there aren't any laywers here that would get offended, but even though legal, there's some human decency involved in not doing all of that, maybe some people don't understand that. A smart man always said to me, "Sometimes you need to beat consideration into certain people".

#13 6 years ago

acebathound thanks for the info,all interesting stuff that went on long before my addiction.
    -Mike

#14 6 years ago

found this one

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!original/rec.games.pinball/g5fL1Lrl2sc/czNyYwmPBtsJ

Summary as sent to me from a person preferring to remain out of the fray but a nice succinct recap

"Clay created the guides with the contribution of other repairmen-authors. They provided photos, and articles. Clay combined their work with his own content.

Clay then proceeded to try and sell guides, under the guise of giving money to a California pinball museum ( Michael Schiess). What few people knew was that Clay was going to receive a see-through EM pinball machine in return for his donations. "

Sad to see that he has laid claim and now threatens copy infringement when others post the content online.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

It was before my time of active collecting/repairing, but I know there is a rich history involving these guides and hoping their are some old timers around that can help to educate some of us newer guys on the real and true history of the Pin Repair guides.
    I bring this up mainly as I saw the recent post regarding these being put up for free and claims of copyright infringement for doing so. I was sent PMs from a few people telling me that these guides were originally a community project that was later usurped by a single individual that has now laid claim to the content.
    Curious on the real history of these guides, whom created them, what happened and why they were scrubbed, etc... ?

The few people who told you they were originally a community project are full of shit. They were started by Clay who wrote them. There were additional contributors who are all listed in the back of the guides with their contributions.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

What few people knew was that Clay was going to receive a see-through EM pinball machine in return for his donations. "
    Sad to see that he has laid claim and now threatens copy infringement when others post the content online.

You're Confusing the "clear pinball machines" (that Scheiss sells for $30k apiece) with all those Predators that you claim Clay has.

#17 6 years ago

The repair guys are 100% written by me. there are some contributors and help with some of the information, they are noted in the bibliography sections of each Guide. All the pictures of the published guides that are on my website are all taken by me. I spent years of research and work doing the repair guides. Any help was documented in the bibliography section.

A few years ago Michael from the PPM suggested that I let him sell the guides and they keep the money to help buy a place for them to have their museum. I agreed to it. Some people that contributed pictures to the guides were upset. So it forced me to take the guides down and Michael decided not to proceed. The guides with pictures that weren't mine never returned to my website. I felt it was best this way since I did not own all the pictures. I always owned all the text as I wrote every word and sentence.

At some point in time I would like to return the missing guides back to the website but it just involves a lot of work having to reformat and retake a lot of pictures. A lot of time involved and right now I just don't have the extra time to dedicate to that.

The guides were not a community effort. Some people helped yes but they are all my work in my words and my research. If you don't believe that then simply ask anybody who wrote what? You'll get no response. Any help with a particular guide is documented in the bibliography section of each guide.

#18 6 years ago

Sounds like much of the guide content is that of Joel Cook and Steve Charland, some of it word for word directly copied from what I am reading online. Is this not the case Clay?

Also, were you getting a see-through EM for your fundraising agreement when you were selling the guides?

#19 6 years ago

This sounds like Kaneda Kourt.

The guides are great, easy to find and have been nothing but a boon for pinball even as bootlegs. When this drama was going down, I printed all of them up at work (hundreds of pages) in fear that they would be gone forever. Glad they're still around and would be delighted to see them back up for the world to find in their rightful place (pinrepair.com).

#20 6 years ago

The poop stirring is strong on a Friday night. So much for the crickets...

#21 6 years ago

Clay repair guides are all Clay's
    with exception of some photos for some of the guides
    and those guides with photos that were not owned by him
    were removed from his site. (as he has stated)
    Clay or the VFW does not have any see thru pins in his/its possession now or ever
    and the PPM has never offered him such.
    I offered Clay some help with his Game Plan guides
    by sending him some misc parts for Game Plan pins
    and was acknowledged in the guides bibliography.

thanks Clay
    cheers tom

#22 6 years ago

Steve Charlyne contributed zero to any of the repair guides. Nothing nada. Joel cook contributed nothing to any of the repair guides zero zilch. And I don't have a clear pin nor was I ever going to get one for any reason. I was thinking of making one but I never got off the ground with that

#23 6 years ago

Pinside is getting tiring.
    Thank you Clay for doing what you do, you taught me a lot.
    Move on, people, or person...

#24 6 years ago

I think the "SAD" part of all of this and pretty much everything in the pinball hobby is "a few people" feel the need to ruin it for the masses. Personally I think Clay has done more for the preservation of pinball and the hobby than anyone I can think of other than maybe Steve Young (Pinball Resource). Yet every time the repair guides or Steve owning the rights to Gottlieb Manuals is talked about a few people feel the need to start bitching about things.

Bottom line is Clay has spent countless hours trying to help people learn to repair machine and yet a few people had to start some shit about content in the guides and now they are not easy to access like they once were. Yes Clay started asking for a few dollars but that money wasn't going into his pocket but even if it was a few dollars for that vast amount if info would still be one hell of a bargain!

I don't blame Clay for being upset about finding that info on another web site. I am sure if any of us put the time & effort into getting all that info together we would be upset.

#25 6 years ago

Whysnow [side comment removed] is just mad he is banned from the show around here. Last time I saw him he was flipping games in the parking lot of the vfw.

#26 6 years ago

I havent been here for as long as this has been going on or at least aware of it. Anything someone did to help others out even for a small fee is nothing new. This has been going on for centuries. Its a small niche group who likes pinball. I got my machine without a goal or even idea of what went on with pinball. Without guides and people who posted on my posts helping me, my machine would be nowhere near the almost finished state it is in now. Maybe paying someone to complete it but i like the satisfaction of doing it myself even tho it may look like shit. I agree with too many pins, its sad when a few people ruin how others talk to eachother in a forum set up to comunicate about our hobby, but people troll on any social setting.

#27 6 years ago

Everyone ive ever talked to thru pinside has been great, i hate hearing about anyone getting grief

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Oh Whysnow already knows that, just stirring shit up as usual. Hey he even closed the thread

w (resized).jpgw (resized).jpg

#29 6 years ago

Question asked and answered. No reason to rehash this or get into a blame game or cause drama. It's Friday night...go grab a cold one and play some pinball.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-real-history-of-the-pin-repair-guides and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.