(Topic ID: 196354)

The real deal in modern day pinball: AFM Remake.

By kpg

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 195 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by MK6PIN
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

3 (resized).jpg
2 (resized).jpg
4 (resized).jpg
1 (resized).jpg
IMG_8410 (resized).PNG
IMG_8409 (resized).PNG
IMG950925 (resized).jpg
untitled (resized).png
Stern (resized).jpg
Hugo (resized).jpg

There are 195 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 1 year ago

Someone needs to start a "Stern lovers only" thread. No bashing, no hating, no getting mad at ghosting, no getting mad a incomplete codes, etc... Nothing but love.

#152 1 year ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Someone needs to start a "Stern lovers only" thread. No bashing, no hating, no getting mad at ghosting, no getting mad a incomplete codes, etc... Nothing but love.

Great idea! And another one for REAL STERN ISSUES; and not just people repeating issues that have been resolved, or didn't actually happen to anyone they've ever met.

#153 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Hey Mike,
A software update came out for Kiss a few weeks ago. You can go online and download now! Have you guys talked with your distro re your issues? Usually things like you mention are sorted out really quickly if machines are bought NIB.

Thanks for the tip.

I didn't buy my MET NIB. It is a documented HUO and the ghosting isn't too bad. In all honesty, I would not have noticed it, but with all of the buzz here on Pinside I inspected all of my games. The good news is that MET was the only one exhibiting any ghosting.

Stern is working with my buddy who has the GB and Kiss (new head decal). My other friend really doesn't care about his cracked cabinet. It's his only machine and pinball isn't much of a priority for him. I will probably pick up a set of brackets for him and do my best to get it back together.

#154 1 year ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Great idea! And another one for REAL STERN ISSUES; and not just people repeating issues that have been resolved, or didn't actually happen to anyone they've ever met.

What a second. You should do it!!! Looks like you are a Stern Lover.

#155 1 year ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Thanks for the tip.
I didn't buy my MET NIB. It is a documented HUO and the ghosting isn't too bad. In all honesty, I would not have noticed it, but with all of the buzz here on Pinside I inspected all of my games. The good news is that MET was the only one exhibiting any ghosting.
Stern is working with my buddy who has the GB and Kiss (new head decal). My other friend really doesn't care about his cracked cabinet. It's his only machine and pinball isn't much of a priority for him. I will probably pick up a set of brackets for him and do my best to get it back together.

Hey Mike,

That is good news. I have previously got caught up in all the "Pinside Crap" and quite honestly it is really not worth it. Our hobby is meant to be fun! I find myself getting defensive of Stern with the Stern bashers too. Best way to resolve issues is with good honest communication.

Good on you for helping your friends, That is exactly what our hobby needs to survive. We do the same whenever we can.

Cheers

Con

#156 1 year ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

What a second. You should do it!!! Looks like you are a Stern Lover.

I would, but I wouldn't qualify. Check out my history for pins purchased. Add approx 40 more for my 4 closest friends (and quite likely a dozen more), and we've only had I playfield that needed to be replaced on a Ghostbusters.
And that happened.
So no, the Stern sky is not falling. Not around here, anyway.

#157 1 year ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Yep its going to happen without protection to any open edge or scoop no matter the maker.. These new games are so fast and brutal ...it will happen

You hit nail on head. Fast and brutal. Shit happens to every pin no matter the maker

It is kind of funny how paranoid the DI thread is with "protection" freak out going on

Hopefully you are at least playing your DI Bigd and having fun!

#159 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You hit nail on head. Fast and brutal. Shit happens to every pin no matter the maker
It is kind of funny how paranoid the DI thread is with "protection" freak out going on

Yep 150 games in less than a week. I put 50 or so on before i added the sim cliffy and still haven't added the others as im to busy playing to take the time to put the rest on lol. Im all for doing what i can to protect my beautiful pins but im no where near as paranoid as others and definitely will not stop playing for fear of damaging something. Its crazy how the mindset of many home collector's has changed and im wondering if many even play lol. I play alot as u can see.... few hundred games a week spread across tbe collection. That's what they are for ..... not just to look good .....

#160 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Its not just the di thread its also the afmr and some stern threads...... everyone wants to know about how to protect their new pins. Sucks its like this but this is how it is due to the prices and how picky people are now on the huo/ second hand market .

#161 1 year ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I play alot as u can see.... few hundred games a week spread across tbe collection. That's what they are for ..... not just to look good .....

Big thumbs up for that

I see you have an original AFM, I'm getting the LE, do you play it alot? Does it get repetitive as some say?

#162 1 year ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

In the last 50 posts, like almost every other thread, the same people have chimed in with the same old redundant bullshit making it impossible to read.
Can we have one goddamn thread that doesn't turn into Stern vs. JJP, or "You don't have a modern Stern, so you can't comment about their games and know nothing about pinball".
Go start a separate thread and you guys can bitch and go back-and-forth attacking each other all you want. Or do something productive like go help somebody in one of the help or restoration threads. Let's just give it a rest and act like we are all in a community that loves this hobby, like we are supposed to be.

I found a dimple on my playfield today. Cheap piece of shit.

#163 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Big thumbs up for that

Just wish i had others around my area that wld also play . O well im happy lol....

#164 1 year ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

My goodness .... ill buy it at half price....

#165 1 year ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Just wish i had others around my area that wld also play . O well im happy lol....

I was just there showing you how to play a few weeks ago! I'll stop down again next time I'm in your area.

#166 1 year ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Ass.

#167 1 year ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I was just there showing you how to play a few weeks ago! I'll stop down again next time I'm in your area.

Lol.... wasnt long enough but still fun . Thanks

#168 1 year ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Can we have one goddamn thread that doesn't turn into Stern vs. JJP

Yeah u can but not when u start a thread with the post the OP began with, did u even read it? Its just begging for exactly whats happening here, thus that's the discussion, unless everyone just agrees and posts "yeah Stern pretty much sucks" what did u expect the outcome to be? sorry but you are in the wrong thread not anyone else.

#169 1 year ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Yeah u can but not when u start a thread with the post the OP began with, did u even read it? Its just begging for exactly whats happening here, thus that's the discussion, unless everyone just agrees and posts "yeah Stern pretty much sucks" what did u expect the outcome to be? sorry but you are in the wrong thread not anyone else.

He did mention Stern, and even briefly rehashed an old issue he had that everybody knows about. Big deal...who cares?

But his post and thread title are mainly about his AFMrLE. I came in here to discuss that game, especially given that I was just playing Darin's original AFM (bigd1979 - which is very finely tuned and plays awesome) and I was curious on further comparison of AFM and AFMr.

#170 1 year ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

But his post and thread title are mainly about his AFMrLE.

I wouldn't say mainly and to be honest don't really care

#171 1 year ago

Agreed. Does MMr have the same display?

KPG, can you or somebody else with AFMrLE post a pic or vid of your topper? The one at Pintastic didn't have the topper on when I was playing it that Friday.

#172 1 year ago
Quoted from kpg:

BM66 Super LE for $15K. That felt like an IKEA cabinet off Craigslist compared to this!

Let me also tell you just how heavy it is- it felt like twice as heavy as AS Prem. I don't know why that is, but it's a huge difference in weight and sturdiness. This feels like a real Bally-Williams game... just brand new.

here is a quality pinball machine that is so much better built and worth the asking price then Stern has EVER made.

the first post, that AFM weighs twice as much as AS etc... I've read this a thousand times when people say how B/W games are far superior to any Stern pins.

I debate that AFM is so much better than anything Stern has EVER made.

I believe the intent was to put down the latest Stern pins but comes around to Stern has never made a great quality pin by the end.

I am disappointed in Stern for some QC and code issues and the price on BM66 was exorbitant but people still lined up to pay $15K (don't ask me why). But I just want to go on record that Stern has made many quality pins like Met, SM, LotR, TSPP, PotC etc.. and I don't think they weigh that much if any less than B/W pins.

I am not speaking about Spike pins since I don't own any and they may be lighter/inferior quality but I don't have any first hand experience as my latest Stern was TWD (2014).

#173 1 year ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Does MMr have the same display?

Unfortunately not at the moment. All MMr's from the factory will continue to have a normal size display. However they have said they plan on offering the large display as an upgrade that can be purchased separately.

#174 1 year ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Agreed. Does MMr have the same display?
KPG, can you or somebody else with AFMrLE post a pic or vid of your topper? The one at Pintastic didn't have the topper on when I was playing it that Friday.

I know this thread can go on and on about Stern vs whomever, but the real point is that with all these NIB games charging big dollars - AFMR just hits it out of the park in so many ways. You need to see it in person, as these pics do not do it justice of course. From this point on, if someone wants to charge me $8K for a NIB LE machine, you better step it up - because THIS is what you should get for the money. CGC really re-defined what a Limited Edition model should include over a standard. That is the point of this thread, period.

1 (resized).jpg
4 (resized).jpg
2 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg

#175 1 year ago

that topper does look awesome and metal apron etc.. I'm sure Stern would like to charge every bit of $500 for that topper.

I am not defending how Stern charges $8K+ for their LE then charges another $500 for a topper like GOT. It's not my idea of value so I have stopped buying Stern LE pins and really feel that AFM LE is a great value and even the CE or Standard edition is very fairly priced.

But AFM LE really gives you a lot more for the extra money not just a numbered plaque and a signature.

#177 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

that topper does look awesome and metal apron etc.. I'm sure Stern would like to charge every bit of $500 for that topper.
I am not defending how Stern charges $8K+ for their LE then charges another $500 for a topper like GOT. It's not my idea of value so I have stopped buying Stern LE pins and really feel that AFM LE is a great value and even the CE or Standard edition is very fairly priced.
But AFM LE really gives you a lot more for the extra money not just a numbered plaque and a signature.

Definitely. It just feels like CGC didn't cut a single corner and wanted to put out the best pin they could design and manufacture, and some lame CFO didnt break out his Excel spreadsheet to reduce the bill of materials instead.

It simply feels like a real pinball enthusiast and team built it from scratch with the customer in mind- versus a bunch of accountants calculating profit and loss instead of how bad ass of a machine they could create.

#178 1 year ago

Game looks very clean. Sharp. Thanks for posting the pics. And topper looks awesome too, even though some people aren't big on them.

#179 1 year ago
Quoted from kpg:

Definitely. It just feels like CGC didn't cut a single corner and wanted to put out the best pin they could design and manufacture, and some lame CFO didnt break out his Excel spreadsheet to reduce the bill of materials instead.
It simply feels like a real pinball enthusiast and team built it from scratch with the customer in mind- versus a bunch of accountants calculating profit and loss instead of how bad ass of a machine they could create.

EVERY opportunity you have, eh?

Classy.

#180 1 year ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Game looks very clean. Sharp. Thanks for posting the pics. And topper looks awesome too, even though some people aren't big on them.

No prob! I'm typically not a guy to care about toppers myself.. but it really enhances the overall experience and I can't imagine not having it on the game now. It really completes the package and makes it exciting for those standing around watching. My kids were cracking up when the alien bounced around for the first time!

Also, definitely adjust the power on the aliens right away - when they are on max they are just as crazy as the original! Had a 6B point game today on default settings and it's such a fun game. I've played the original so many times, but only poor routed examples... I'm just stoked that CGC is putting out remakes and letting us experience what it was like to unbox classics like this back in the day.

Games like MM and AFM are what brought me into arcades as a kid and I always wanted one, so having the ability to buy brand new versions of them - especially modernized with LEDs and color screens and everything else - is great. I'll keep buying these remakes as long as they keep making them this high quality and not cutting corners eventually.

#181 1 year ago
Quoted from kpg:

Its much easier since the design, code ,parts and just about everything was made and done 20+ years ago . Which drastically drops the cost but yet its still around 7k for base models. Its much different building a pin from nothing... especially a original theme.

#182 1 year ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Its much easier since the design, code ,parts and just about everything was made and done 20+ years ago . Which drastically drops the cost but yet its still around 7k for base models. Its much different building a pin from nothing... especially a original theme.

I'm not arguing that at all - but CGC could have easily cut corners and put cheaper parts and not so many addons to this game and charged the same, based on the current market values of the original. I'm just glad they didn't go that route.. so at the end of the day, these CGC remakes kick ass.

#183 1 year ago
Quoted from kpg:

I'm not arguing that at all - but CGC could have easily cut corners and put cheaper parts and not so many addons to this game and charged the same, based on the current market values of the original. I'm just glad they didn't go that route.. so at the end of the day, these CGC remakes kick ass.

Guess we will see but afmr is much different in many ways compared to a original one. Glad u like it but let's not get to crazy with your statements lol.

#184 1 year ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Guess we will see but afmr is much different in many ways compared to a original one. Glad u like it but let's not get to crazy with your statements lol.

Hey Buddy,

Iceman asked you earlier if you find the original a little repetitive. We are keen to know as well . We are thinking about buying a AFMr too.

Thanks

Con

#185 1 year ago

I guess the thing that stings the most is the fact that it was such a short time ago Stern was offering a nice package with their premium and LE lines. Powder coating, painted glass, custom armor and shaker motors, legacy components, and most importantly a full featured playfield were all part of the package. Stern has gambled that they will still have enough takers regardless of what they remove if the theme is there and it will pay off for them in the short run. I don't see the secondary market being too hot with all the controversy, which Stern doesn't care about of course. All I can say is ii'm thankful we have options.

#186 1 year ago
Quoted from spazzman90:

I guess the thing that stings the most is the fact that it was such a short time ago Stern was offering a nice package with their premium and LE lines. Powder coating, painted glass, custom armor and shaker motors, legacy components, and most importantly a full featured playfield were all part of the package. Stern has gambled that they will still have enough takers regardless of what they remove if the theme is there and it will pay off for them in the short run. I don't see the secondary market being too hot with all the controversy, which Stern doesn't care about of course. All I can say is ii'm thankful we have options.

Imagine if Stern's LE models were still as great as STLE was. Now THAT was a kick ass LE package and worth the extra money. Every LE since has never came close to STLE, in my opinion. I know Stern has put out some amazing machines, and one day I hope they can put out quality games like TWD, STLE, TSPP, etc in the future. AS Prem is fun and it's a cool game, but it feels very shallow and less premium then the MET Prem that sits next to it. That is even with MET having a DMD inside it too.

#187 1 year ago
Quoted from kpg:

And if buyers or potential buyers don't voice their unhappiness, will Stern make the changes necessary?

ASLE has a lovely mirrored backglass.

SWLE - you get 3 plastic translites - 2 of which will be chucked under the game. Wtf

I want a SW but the LE has nothing over the Premium.

Stern are still selling games like hot cakes but complacency has taken down many companies in the past and allowed newer companies to replace them.

Seems like CGC is doing a lot right.

#188 1 year ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Seems like CGC is doing a lot right.

For sure, but it should be noted they also don't have to code or program animations, come up with music, art etc. not that its an excuse for Stern to cut corners but it is a different situation, SW has to be one of the better Sterns I've ever owned so for me whatever they are doing keep it up, look forward to CGC making their own game at some point, for now this is giving collectors a great pin with some truly impressive upgrades

#189 1 year ago

If you ordered one of these games, stop reading the forums and viewing the pictures posted on the AFMR owners, Unboxing, and this thread. If I had gushed over the game for months I think my reaction would have been a bit less special. There is definitely an substantial cost of parts here, and a substantial warrantee cost to CGC.

#190 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Hey Buddy,
Iceman asked you earlier if you find the original a little repetitive. We are keen to know as well . We are thinking about buying a AFMr too.
Thanks
Con

Its still my favorite pin after thousands of plays. Ive never beaten mars or rtu and im a better than average player imo. It just has that one more game feel even after all the plays i have on it. I dont find it any more repetitive than any other pin and there are many ways to approach it.

#191 1 year ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Its still my favorite pin after thousands of plays. Ive never beaten mars or rtu and im a better than average player imo. It just has that one more game feel even after all the plays i have on it. I dont find it any more repetitive than any other pin and there are many ways to approach it.

That's great to hear from an experienced player....I'm sure I'm still in honeymoon phase with mine, but can't imagine ever getting bored with it, and fits my lineup perfectly. Lots to do...just a great machine in every aspect....keeper....

#192 1 year ago

I just played an AFMrLE tonight. It is a beautiful, bright machine. Not a criticism, just an observation, it definitely plays different than an AFM original. The shots are indeed different and in my opinion the flow was also different. With that being said AFMr is still on my wishlist.

#193 1 year ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

It's definitely on my wishlist super glad that more great pins are being made.

If I weren't getting TNA it would have been AFM

First world problems.

#194 1 year ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

but can't imagine ever getting bored with it

How is this possible, man I get bored with in a few months of any game, and especially after I complete the final wizard mode, I just feel done after that. I haven't had AFM for a couple years so getting one now would be great again but I would I get bored, I guess if you have enough room for 20 games you can keep those 10 gems you love and just take break but I always find my newest game gets all the play, I recently stopped collecting, I gonna keep 3 that cycle but then again nothing has been released that is a dream theme, I don't think I could sell a Slayer LE or Total recall, ST based on the OG series or films with that cast, Alien will be the first and I'm wondering if that will stay, anyway the topper for the AFMr LE is the best in the business, dmd is simply a thing of beauty not fan of the green armor would prefer chrome but the pin is beautiful.

#195 1 year ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

How is this possible, man I get bored with in a few months of any game, and especially after I complete the final wizard mode, I just feel done after that. I haven't had AFM for a couple years so getting one now would be great again but I would I get bored, I guess if you have enough room for 20 games you can keep those 10 gems you love and just take break but I always find my newest game gets all the play, I recently stopped collecting, I gonna keep 3 that cycle but then again nothing has been released that is a dream theme, I don't think I could sell a Slayer LE or Total recall, ST based on the OG series or films with that cast, Alien will be the first and I'm wondering if that will stay, anyway the topper for the AFMr LE is the best in the business, dmd is simply a thing of beauty not fan of the green armor would prefer chrome but the pin is beautiful.

Should probably qualify a bit....all my pins would get boring if I played the same one all the time. I'm fortunate to have games that play quite different from each other, so I simply move to another when the game gets " routine" feeling. I'll ignore my TZ for months, as I get the hell beat out of me on TronLE and IMVE. Then, I'll suddenly need my TZ fix, and play it exclusive for a month, even though I've reached LITZ many times, I don't always make it. Same with all my titles....

AFMRLE is gorgeous ( I actually dig the green...reflects gameplay and that sick topper very well, in its own way)...plays great, and gives me a different degree of fun than my other games....has this weird retro, high tech thing going for it. Thoroughly enjoying it, and suspect will more than hold its own, even after the new wears off.

Believe it or not, BM66LE has the same effect...love it..

Alien is my grail, period. Suspect it will dominate my time for quite awhile....I've had to temper my excitement though, as we're still waiting.....( I'm still a hoarder)..

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
7,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Brentwood, TN
$ 50.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
There are 195 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside