3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by CactusJack
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Hi, I'm not from the US, and I do not have a good knowledge of the English language, I understand only basis. And Google help

I have a few questions:
    1. If I order in the US Stern pinball machine, I can then use the TOKENS to the game instead of American money?
    2. Do I need to buy a new device for the tokens?
    3. If so, what device to buy? What are tokens?
    ---------------------------------------
    Thanks for help

#2 3 years ago

If you want to play without money, you can set the game for FREE PLAY.

If you want to use money, but not American, you can get mechs for foreign money or tokens.

#3 3 years ago

Where in the world are you ?

I think new Stern pinball machines now ship without coin mechanisms and you have to buy/install them yourself (from a local distributor) to accept the money / tokens in your region.

As you ask about ordering in the US - first check if there is a local distributor. Keep in mind that if you are in a country with 220v a machine from the US will not work even when stepped down to 110 (50/60Hz security check). And there's also no warranty on import machines.

#4 3 years ago

I want to buy the pinball machine that is not in our selling dealer. For this reason, I want to buy in the US, and the cheaper the price get. I know these games will not operate in countries with 50 cycle electricity. This problem is solved. Now I understand, need to replace the coin mechanism for tokens mechanism. -------------------- Now just do not understand what settings need to be changed in a pinball machine that was replaced a payment of money for tokens. To display a pinball machine shows the words tokens, not dollars, for the purchase of credits. ------ I hope you understand what I want to know

#5 3 years ago

I am not sure about the latest Stern games but the Display normally states: " Insert Coins ". So it does not reference bills (the term we use for Note) or Tokens. I am not sure what the text would be if you change the games language away from English (like French or German).

One difference to keep in mind. The US "Domestic" games are designed to use a coin mechanism which measures approximately 3 inches by 5 inches and is designed to only accept one type and size of coin. There are usually 2 slots on these types of coin doors to hold two coin mechanisms. The export games usually are designed to use a single, much larger coin mech that is designed to accept multiple coins and usually requires special programming tools to accept the local type of coins. Some of these multi-coin mechs are intelligent and can "learn" which coins you want to use.

So, it may be difficult to buy a 3 inch X 5 inch coin mechanism that is designed to accept your coin. However, 0.900 inch and 0.984 inch tokens are very common in America. In Japan, the Pachislo or similar gaming devices typically use a token that is almost the exact same size as a US Quarter ($0.25). So if you get a batch of those tokens, you may find they work fine with the standard US Quarter coin mechanism. There is also a Canadian Quarter which is the same size as the US quarter. The only difference is that the Canadian Quarter is magnetic. Therefore, the coin mech cannot have a magnet as part of its slug rejection system.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

So if you get a batch of those tokens, you may find they work fine with the standard US Quarter coin mechanism.

0.900 inch and 0.984 inch tokens can be used in a standard coin mech Stern? No need to change on the tokens mech?

#7 3 years ago

1. adjust the mechanism to fit the token size.

2. remove the coin reject button artwork
    http://www.twistedquarter.com/bmz_cache/e/e693a611e2c732ac4c3f1638a2ee7400.image.60x120.JPG

3. replace the coin reject button artwork with one printed "Token"

https://na.suzohapp.com/products/coin_currency_supplies/42-0521-00

4. buy a lot of tokens

5. sell tokens to your customers

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nikimiki:

0.900 inch and 0.984 inch tokens can be used in a standard coin mech Stern? No need to change on the tokens mech?

Not without a lot of adjustment or fiddling.

What I meant was that the 3" X 5" size coin mechs are available in a number of different configurations: US Dime, US Nickel, US Quarter, 0.900 token, 0.984 token, and a special one which accepts both US Quarter AND 0.984 token.

So, you would have to buy 2 coin mechs to accept the type of token you want to use and they will mount in the Domestic coin door.

The 0.984 token may require you to open up the slots in the plastic coin entry/reject button since it is slightly larger than a US quarter.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 10.50
    Playfield - Protection
    The MOD Couple
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    $ 1,400.00
    $ 235.00
    Boards
    RS Technologies
    € 59.80
    Lighting - Backbox
    Freddys Pinball Paradise
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 38.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Gameroom Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 229.99
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 23.25
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 139.00
    $ 29.90
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 299.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    ...redshiftLED
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside