(Topic ID: 139879)

The Progression of a Pinball Addict - A Historical Perspective

By xTheBlackKnightx

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

The Progression of a Pinball Addict - A Historical Perspective
    (Originally posted rec.games.pinball, February 2 2003 by "The_Black_Knight" )

Most collectors pass through a SIX STAGE PROCESS:

Stage 1

- Introduction to Pinball or reliving old memories of a "classic from their youth"
    - Usually this constitutes the purchase of "ONE" machine for their home....
    - Starts looking for resources to find several broken parts on his / her machine
    to make it "perfect" (or to make it work correctly)

Stage 2

- Now, its "Hey, this is even better than I remember....."
    - Buying spree begins, dependent on monetary funds
    - The new collector starts buying machines that do not work, are missing parts, etc.
    to save money, or to finance buying more machines
    - Collector has to start justifying his actions to his family and wife
    - Machines start taking up places in the house that they should not be
    - Collector begins thinking about building a "game room" (seriously)

Stage 3

- The new collector realizes he might be over his head technically, as he looks around
    and sees how many broken machines he owns, and frantically is looking for parts,
    his technical skills continue to improve as a result
    - He starts to begin the enjoy the aspect of restoring machines more than play or collecting
    - Begins to sell several machines, to purchase other games that have more oveall collector appeal
    - He / she begins to final his / her "Most Wanted List"

Stage 4

- The collector zones in on specific eras and games, trying to collector the best
    from that period of time, based on what he can afford
    - The collector sells off the "crap" and fine tunes his / her collection
    - The collector begins to invite other collectors to his home, to share the fun and show off his finds
    - His family is annoyed but they still support him as long "as you keep it in the garage"

Stage 5

- Collector is hardcore, only has specific games on his list, or loses interest in pinball,
    will not accept games with "flaws", to include NIB and HUO machines
    - Collector cannot stand if a switch is malfunctioning, and must fix it immediately
    - Owns almost all or most of the machines he ever wanted
    - Sells games, to reduce maintenance requirements dependent on job
    - Projects are still in the garage, but devotes time to other pursuits
    - Only plays games when company is around
    - Looks at his collector as "a part of pinball history"
    - Occasionally dabbles in locating "just one more game for his collection....."

Stage 6
    (Submitted by Rather Play Pinball)

- Years of collecting NOS parts that others drool over
    - Machines so pristine, to play them is a sin
    - As soon as a cat or human touches the glass, the owner is wiping it down
    - Game Room is complete with perfect lighting, posters, etc.
    - Thoughts of "Can I be buried in one of these things?" crosses your mind
    - You begin to realize there is more to life than pinball
    (Family, retirement, a house, etc.)

In conclusion, these stages are not necessary a "bad thing" by any means,
    but think about what stage you might be in......

#2 8 years ago

I disagree. I've been collecting for awhile and could care less about pinball as a collectible. I just like playing them. I repair games to help finance other games and also to spread affordable games to other people. I could care less about condition as long as the machine plays well. The people you're describing are probably the ones that suck at playing and collect just to collect something and have no real passion towards the game.

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I disagree. I've been collecting for awhile and could care less about pinball as a collectible. I just like playing them. I repair games to help finance other games and also to spread affordable games to other people. I could care less about condition as long as the machine plays well. The people you're describing are probably the ones that suck at playing and collect just to collect something and have no real passion towards the game.

Ya but your not right.

#4 8 years ago

What stage am I in if I started making coffee tables out of all of them?

#5 8 years ago

Stage-3 junkie checking in to confirm this account is accurate. I'm looking forward to becoming a snobbish collector that hordes NOS parts.

#6 8 years ago

I'm very happy I got through my "buy everything that isn't nailed down" phase when I was in the arcade hobby, so I knew not to do that once I switched over to pinball.

#7 8 years ago

Stage 7 is divorce....

#8 8 years ago

I think all of this can be summarized into the early stages, and there is a long way to go to get to any stage 6...like another 10 years.

I found in my first 5 years I was anal, and wiping down games and worried about nudging etc. my games are virtually all collector quality or HUO (I opened the box). I am not worried in the slightest if people nudge or put a finger print on it...woop de do. I have a couple games that are in need of a simple repair.....I will get to it when I get to it.

I have been through many stages
    Buying old
    Buying new
    Only Williams
    Only stern
    Collecting all the system 80's kick
    System 1 kick
    System 11 kick
    Under rated stern kick
    Having EM row
    Went crazy on degas and data east
    Collecting all of the "A" titles I could find
    Getting a building specifically to set up pinball
    Buying a container or broken games
    Selling 80% of my entire collection at once, just so I could start the thrill of the search all over again
    Buying all new Sterns, with the exception of a few (JJP)
    Now going back again and buying some Williams games I am missing, and selling Sterns
    Also going for all the new boutique games AMH, MMRLE

I am now in the stage that pinball is part of my life....not my whole life. I haven't played a game this week, but I did build some mods!

#9 8 years ago

What stage are you in if you have three games in a home office, all look perfect but need work, two standing on end in the garage and 15 more with extra new ramps, cleared repo or repaired PFs, rubbers, LEDs, mods and toppers in a storage unit awaiting construction of the dream mancave?

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Stage 4
    - The collector zones in on specific eras and games, trying to collector the best
    from that period of time, based on what he can afford
    - The collector sells off the "crap" and fine tunes his / her collection

This part of stage 4 is where I'm at and it took a little over two years to get there, However it has been another two years since then.

Stage 5

- Owns almost all or most of the machines he ever wanted

I actually went thru this part of stage 5 before Stage 4 and now most of the games I own weren't any of those but i still have a few.

#11 8 years ago

I think some of that 2003 assessment is still accurate.

But the 2010s saw a big influx of "big money" guys, so the new list would look something like ...

1/ I bought a big house with a games room. Better put something in there

2/ I've ordered the pool table... I really liked playing Addams Family when I was at University, I think I'll get one of those.

3/ I saw several top 100 pinball machine lists on the Internet, I will start right at the top and work down from there. Lists on the Internet are always cool, and I really want to buy the best so I can show my buddies.

4/ I tracked down a Medival Madness ...or is it Medieval, I can't remember. But I want one bad, cause it's number one on the list I read on the Internet. The guy had it for years and he didn't want to sell it. So I offered him $15,000 and he helped me load it up. I just had to have it. It's number 1 for a reason.

5/ I've got all the top 5 pinball machines on that list now. Everything else is shit. Those old cheap machines, who'd even want them? I play them sometimes when the guys come around. I figured out the glass slides out, you don't need to take off the metal things on the sides. I paid a guy to come around and clean them all, and he installed some LED lights. The ones he had weren't bright enough so I had him order some super bright ones. They light up the whole room. Looks super mean.

6/ Wife hates this big house, we are downsizing. Guess I better get rid of these machines. Don't play them much now anyway. I just bought a new Hellcat, it's got 700hp and everyone looks at me. I sit at the lights and blip the throttle. It's really sweet.

rd

#12 8 years ago

I have gotten to the point that I like to work on them and fix them up more than play them. I watch and spectate at league. I never play at league gatherings, and I don't see myself ever doing that. I got to the point I had 5 and realized that wasn't my style; I am happy with 3, and with a new home coming, am looking to expand to 4 down the road. I've hit that point that just because I have more room does NOT mean I have to saturate it with more machines. Sometimes, less is more.

YMMV.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

What stage am I in if I started making coffee tables out of all of them?

Stage 6, which BTW some EM machines really do make good coffee tables (I own one).
    Some EM machines are just too far gone to be completely rewired, even with a decently playfield surface.
    I remember somebody actually used to make them as furniture on a website once a while back.

I have owned well over 600+ machines in 25 years, and MASSIVELY downsize back in the mid 2000s (over 50+).
    I continue to hover in the dozen range around 3500 lbs of pinball machines now, which is basically the size of a full two car garage.
    Anything above that and machines start moving back into the house again, which I refuse to do.
    Moving a HUGE substantial collection is more than just a "pain in the ass", as it requires a full 18 wheeler using slats to get them all transported.

I have a tendency to bounce from Stage 5 and 6, but you just have to keep from getting burned out on the hobby.
    In some cases, I have owned 2-4 copies of the SAME machine, when I bought one back again.
    It can and will happen, especially when you hit "your stride" in Stage 4.
    Right now, I am actually prepping for two playfield swap outs on my collection in order to "fix discrepancies" on a couple of my machines.

The "big money" guys don't last in the long run, because they generally lack the technical expertise to keep them running.
    I am actually pissed because I missed my window for a Big Bang Bar when they were remade.
    A lot of my cronies have them though in the Pacific Northwest.
    The number of actual pinball technicians now that really understand mounted component circuit boards coupled with electric theory and all the other necessary expertise on top of parts has dwindled significantly for solid state machines. EM machines are much more easy to work with but require more elbow grease time and the games MUST be played periodically. Most of the skilled technicians are in their mid to late 60s, and "passing on" now.

People might not realize their really are only around 25,000+ "hardcore" pinball collectors in the world today (more than 10+ machines and at least a 1000 lbs of spare parts), and the number has remain relatively constant since around 2004.
    Pinball machines are luxuries, and the one of the first things to go, when times get tough, or a person's life change (ie family).

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

What stage are you in if you have three games in a home office, all look perfect but need work, two standing on end in the garage and 15 more with extra new ramps, cleared repo or repaired PFs, rubbers, LEDs, mods and toppers in a storage unit awaiting construction of the dream mancave?

You just passed into Stage 3.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Stage 6, which BTW some EM machines really do make good coffee tables (I own one).

Many DMD games would be better suited as raised planter beds. Now I'll just exit stage left.

#16 8 years ago

I basically buy anything that's cheap, looks decent or reparable, is unique or interesting in some way, and grab any spare parts that I think I might be able to use. I really need to stop buying and focus more on repairing--but I can't pass up a bargain!

I just hauled another game home today. And of all the fuses I have in my parts area, I don't have a 3/8 Amp slow-blow fuse to replace the blown one for the DMD display. But--I have a couple of nice spare DMDs

#17 8 years ago

Ah, stage 5.

Collected all through the decades.

Settled on 50's pre 1955.

Only have less than 5 games on wishlist from 1952 - 1997 and they need to be mint!

#18 8 years ago

Rotordave is right, a new category of collector surfaced in the mid-2000s - the NIB Stern collector. They're not into maintenance, but they *are* into over-modding games with too-bright LEDs and toppers.

Personally I've gone through all those stages multiple times, including container buys. It's still a great hobby even though I can't afford it anymore!

#19 8 years ago

I seem to be straddling several of these stages. I've retained my absolute amazement that I can own games and have them in my house. If a switch is out, the game is out of service. I usually wait for two or three games to have an issue before having a repair day of fixing them up. I own games from all different eras. However, and this is important... The day I won't own or play a game because of this...

image.jpgimage.jpg

...then I'll just sell them all. What matters is that a game is fun. That game is in my living room right now, and it will be here for at least a few more months.

The progression doesn't have to go towards someone that no longer has fun in pinball. And that is why I don't like this listing of stages. It seems like the ending stages don't enjoy the hobby. Sure, I have some nice games. HUO, and I have my share of nice lights and mods. But I also have games that a lot of people consider beaters. And I'll tell you, I still have as much fun on them as any game I own.

#20 8 years ago

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-progression-of-a-pinball-addict-a-historical-perspective and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.