Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 85 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by McCune
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I just assume everything is sarcasm here because we are talking about something that isn't serious at all- pinball...

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

Also note that Chris Granner seemed to be out of the picture at JJP as well. They had somebody else doing sound for Hobbit. That really is a bummer because I don't think there is an equal to Granner as a sound/music guy.

I agree. He's the best in the business.

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I just take a different approach..... I just assume everything is sarcasm here because we are talking about something that isn't serious at all- pinball... We are all fortunate to even participate in this hobby.

Pinside is best interpreted 3 beers deep and a half smart-ass attitude on at all times.

#54 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Pinside is best interpreted 3 beers deep and a half smart-ass attitude on at all times.

...because most posts here are made by people trying to be witty after 3 beers deep?

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

...because most posts here are made by people trying to be witty after 3 beers deep?

No, but a lot of them sure read that way.

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

Also note that Chris Granner seemed to be out of the picture at JJP as well. They had somebody else doing sound for Hobbit. That really is a bummer because I don't think there is an equal to Granner as a sound/music guy.

Chris left JJP quite a while ago. This is common knowledge. In fact, he left in October 2012, more than 1.5 years ago! (You can check his LinkedIn page to verify. )

#57 9 years ago

Few companies can afford to have creative types sitting around with nothing to do. Least of all a startup.

#58 9 years ago

I'll admit that I didn't know the investors bailed either. Was there a separate thread on this, or was it buried in one of the JJP threads?

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'll admit that I didn't know the investors bailed either. Was there a separate thread on this, or was it buried in one of the JJP threads?

They did not bail. Just someone failing at sarcasm or succeeding at pot stirring.

#60 9 years ago

I will also say that a designer leaving a company after the majority of the work is done is really a non-issue that did not need a second thread.

Hobbit it designed and on the 3 interation. Don't need the top/expensive guys sitting around getting paid to wait when the work is done.

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

They did not bail. Just someone failing at sarcasm or succeeding at pot stirring.

Are you sure?

#62 9 years ago

Funny because as much as Jack jumps in lately he never did on that entire thread. He dodged the hall out of the question.
So is anyone sure, No. Was it a rumor that JJP would not address...yes.

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

So why is it not on the JJP website anymore? Just curious.

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

They did not bail.

Source?

Or just your opinion?

#65 9 years ago

we need a JJP roster thread

#66 9 years ago

Shouldn't you be asking the person who said the investors bailed for the source? Not the guy saying they didn't bail. How would there be a source for that? JJP releasing a statement once a week saying who didn't bail?

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I believe they actually did bail, no sarcasm. I've heard it from too many sources to not believe it (before the press release vanished off JJP's site). Jack was asked about it point blank and ducked and dodged but never denied it. As far as I'm concerned it's a done deal fact. You can believe what you want of course, it's difficult to actually prove.

#68 9 years ago

I could fill a fu**ing page with real reasons .. All it will accomplish is more people asking questions, or more people shitting on decisions of why this guy is here or that guy left, Or that guy was let go. It's pointless to add any exact info then to just fuel the fire of those who just want something to talk about. The company is making a product how ever slow or how ever fast they can. We all have designers or programmer we like more then others. We root or support them like professional athletes. Inside guys can tell u this guys great but a asshole to work with, or that guys talented and a great guy to work with. This guy or that guy moved on for a better job or a higher paying job, this guys gone and now I know why the other guy didn't want him, what ever the reasons it doesn't make a difference. The product the company makes is held to a high standard, even if it gets missed/ or has issues they were shooting for that standard of quality. The company will continue to do that... Other people will step up, the glass is half full the glass is half empty. That guys gone he sucked to work with, that guys gone we loved his designs...that guy quit that guy left. Look at it how ever u want!..... Don't ask me if this makes any sense.

#69 9 years ago

I heard they wanted too much control over the products bottom line, and Jack would not compromise on the quality of any machine he put his name on! so no deal..

#70 9 years ago

Like many industries, the pinball one is a mobile one, with people joining/leaving places all the time, job titles and responsibilities changing, etc. It makes for interesting gossip, but in the end should mostly be taken with a grain of salt from the consumer end. What matters ultimately is the availability of products etc., and we bystanders have no control over the behind-the-scenes stuff. And I'm sure everyone in the business is making the best decisions they can to make the best pinball possible.

#71 9 years ago

Assuming the investor deal fell through, it blows my mind that it would be publicly announced before being finalized and locked in. There has got to be more to this story.

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I will also say that a designer leaving a company after the majority of the work is done is really a non-issue that did not need a second thread.

Completely disagree with something like this not deserving it's own thread.

People can decide for themselves just how big (or not) a deal this really is to them, but it is most clearly deserving of it's own thread. This is a pinball forum, is it not?

How many people have spoken up indicating that they never would have known about this if it wasn't for this separate thread?

#73 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Hobbit it designed and on the 3 interation. Don't need the top/expensive guys sitting around getting paid to wait when the work is done.

I agree with the points here about him not being needed anymore with the next two designers already busy at work. Point is that his leaving is big news worthy of a thread; regardless of whether it adversely affects the outcome of TH or not.

#74 9 years ago

Another vote in favor of this thread being started. Thank you. I had no clue on Balcer leaving or the investors "allegedly" bailing. Wow.

So Stern has Borg, Ritchie, Trudeau and Gomez (occasionally) in the rotation. JJP has Lawler on one and mystery designer on another. Something to be said for consistency of working teams as they grow working together. If JJP becomes a revolving door of design will that work in the long run? Is Lawler taking Balcer's spot and not just one and done?

Interesting.

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Completely disagree with something like this not deserving it's own thread.
People can decide for themselves just how big (or not) a deal this really is to them, but it is most clearly deserving of it's own thread. This is a pinball forum, is it not?
How many people have spoken up indicating that they never would have known about this if it wasn't for this separate thread?

I meant it did not need a second thread because it did not need the first

I was trying to make a point that it is no big deal that he is on to the next project elsewhere.

#76 9 years ago

very interesting indeed...if a company trumpets and advertises the hiring of specific talent or investors, shouldn't they inform likewise of departures or investors bailing out. i personally still believed that investors were in place with capital to deploy and there was a full bullpen of talent working on games.

i am sure there's nothing to worry about but if public announcements are made regarding hiring of specific people and investors shouldn't they also report publicly when things change?

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from vex:

i am sure there's nothing to worry about but if public announcements are made regarding hiring of specific people and investors shouldn't they also report publicly when things change?

Nah. Press releases are to tout positive things that can bolster your brand and revenue. Only other type of press releases are to ease consumer confidence after a controversial or catastrophic occurrence. Someone leaving does not meet that requirement.

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

JJP has Lawler on one and mystery designer on another.

They have Keith too. Yeah, he's mainly known for software, but he has some design work to his credit too.

#79 9 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

They have Keith too. Yeah, he's mainly known for software, but he has some design work to his credit too.

True, he has some design credit on TSPP I think. I mean this in a respectful way, but I would hope he would stick with programming, let someone else worry about the design so he can keep doing it. Only because he's a rare talent at it, the world is better off with his code in it.

#80 9 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

Very true and well respected. But then I add Lyman to the Stern list. I was trying to keep it more to primary designers than programmers - knowing Keith has some design credit.

Agree with Aurich - love Keith's design work and hope he keeps creating his magic there.

#81 9 years ago

Keith was the reason I preordered a WOZ

He's a bad M'r F'r in my book

Stern hasn't had an epic deep game since he left. Makes me sad

#82 9 years ago

Joe Left and Drew Left and Brian Left and Brian is now back

Eric replaced the Electronics Engineer and Pat has replaced Joe.

I think we are still in good hands,

#83 9 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I just take a different approach..... I just assume everything is sarcasm here because we are talking about something that isn't serious at all- pinball... We are all fortunate to even participate in this hobby.

I know this guy with a famous quote.

It goes something to this effect

"collecting pinball.......first world problems"

It always sounds better when being discussed while playing Jolly Park or IJ........Def not Xmen though.

#84 9 years ago

As noted, it's likely contract work for machines, and now Lawlor is up. Who's to say he won't be back in the future, as he and Keefer have a pretty good history with each other on machines.

#85 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Wait, so does this mean that Ted Estes leaving JJP should get its own thread too?
[**EDIT** Confirmed that Ted Estes did NOT leave JJP. I had heard it from a couple of different places and assumed it was true and already known. Apologies to all for posting this misinformation. Mea culpa.]

Don't worry about it, we don't take anything you say as face value !

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 25.50
8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Electronics
Skillshot Combo

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-problem-with-mega-long-threads/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.