4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by yancy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 4 years ago

I've run five launch parties, most which were run on week days (for some reason it was what Stern wanted at the time) and I typically allow people to show up around 5 for open play, with the tournament starting around 6:30-7, then unlimited free play as late as anyone wants to stay. The tournament usually only takes around 3.5 hours (I've been lucky and had two machines at most of them, so they've gone fast even with 70+ entrants), so the bulk of the time is actually casual play. Of course, not everyone wants to stay really late, but the opportunity is there.

I agree, though, that it would be cool to just have a casual play launch party. I think the best compromise is to have them on Saturdays so that there's plenty of time around the tournament for casual play.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Yes.
    I can freaking wait a few days to play a game, or until TPF if I have to, and save my money.
    This isn't even an issue here. I can't even remember the last launch party that did that. KISS will be playable at Nickelrama soon, likely at 20 cents a game, just like every other pin they have in their lineup. I've played in 2-buck-upchuck charity tournaments before....in fact, if I recall right, that was the one that everyone got all pissy about because I got 25 points for winning against the other three people that bothered to drive 30 miles in one of the worst ice storms that D/FW has ever had to get to it.
    Don't care about trophy, swag (Stern is very generous to donate this however....it's not paid for by the location!), crap food that I can't or don't want to eat and my kid with multiple food allergy sure as hell can't eat....scorekeeping? Really? I can do that. **Have** done it. A LOT. This is like typically 10-15 people, not Superleague dude. Moving games.....every launch party that's been held in Dallas has been done on location, or at FUN with one of their floor models AFAIK. Tron was the only one I know of that even had two machines, and that was my very first tournament. I know the second machine was there on location for a few weeks, then it disappeared, so I supposed someone did move that one... all the rest of the games from launch parties over the last 4 years are still exactly where they were???
    *edit* I would rather pay FUN 2 bucks a beer (though legally I supposed they can't do that..) than pay 2 bucks a game to play. The beer last time was appreciated, lol

Wow. Lame attitude. The event isn't structured to your personal preferences and needs, so you can't even respect it enough to drop 2 bucks. If it were me, even if what we wanted out of a launch party was identical, I still wouldn't want you there.

This is the worst part of being a tournament or event organizer. I can't count how many times certain people acted like I was busting my ass solely for them, seemingly oblivious of the time, energy, planning, coordinating and promoting that goes into it. And then they'd stand there like "Well, aren't you going to do it the way *I* want it??" Yeah, uh, no. Have fun in your basement playing for "free".

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

It's got nothing to do with respect for a tourney director.

I said "respect for the event", and all the work that goes into it, not the tourney director specifically. The people who bring food, scorekeepers, sponsors who donate prizes, the op or reseller who makes the major purchase on a game that might suck and loses its NIB status.

Quoted from Frax:

Why on earth would I go pay 2 bucks a game (plus coin drop if it's on location...don't forget that part...we don't tend to screw over the two ops in our area) when I don't care about an insignificant points gain for purposes of IFPA and would rather avoid a big crowd otherwise.

To support your local scene? To meet and socialize with other pinheads? To enjoy the "first look" experience with lots of other pinheads? It's fine if it's not your thing but the way you cry about the whopping 2 bucks, crappy food, etc. it's like you're getting ripped off. Lame.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 45.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 49.00
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    £ 20.00
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 74.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pin Monk
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    $ 8,500.00
    $ 1,099.00
    € 339.00
    Displays
    GermanGamingSupplies.com
    $ 1,000.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 107.95
    Lighting - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside