Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by yancy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ed_in_Texas.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

We all know the excitement... that new pin is being shipped to customers and Launch Parties are announced. YES! I can't wait to check out that new game, look under the hood, see my pinball friends and visit...
    Oh wait, what's that? The new pin is being used primarily in a tournament? Well crap. Guess I'll check it out some other time (and the Launch Party goes from 100 attendees to 20).

Don't get me wrong. I'm not anti tournament. It's just not my thing (just like 80-90% of the pinball community). I just like playing, restoring, and hanging out with my friends talking pinball. I DO think tournaments are an important part of the hobby. I root for my good friends that do play in tournaments, get excited when they do well, brag on them to other players, etc. While competitive play is a part of the hobby, it's NOT the driving force behind the "pinball resurgence".

So, my point to this post (more of a request) is this: Launch Parties Organizers, if you are planning this "Official" Launch Party to be a tournament, please allow at least half the time (or more) for non-tournament play so the bulk of the pinball community can come check it out
    I'm sure the pinball manufacturers would appreciate it if 80% of their potential customers could also come see and play the game.

Just my .02
    Ed

image.jpgimage.jpg
    #6 8 years ago

Yup. DFW is doing it right (Good job Marcus). I wasn't referring to a paticular event. Just something a lot of non-tourney players talk about when Launch Parties are announced. For those allowing plenty of time for everyone to check it out the newest game, thank you!

#11 8 years ago

Josh, my post wasn't directed at any single event. Yes, the WWE Launch Party at FUN was packed and a great time. It was also NOT an IFPA tournament and the tourney they did have was more casual and fun. FUN is also not your typical Launch Party scene as they have more space and games for social play and visiting.
    I even recall you making comments to the DFW group about the large number of people that show up at regular pinball parties with no tournament, but the pinball league you were running only had a handful of players show up.
    Again, I'm not knocking tournaments. I love hearing about them and seeing the picture of everyone holding trophies, etc. It's just the vast majority of pinball collectors are not competitive players and would rather have friendly games against each other, socialize, etc. They want to see the new games too.
    Relax Josh. Don't stress out. It's only pinball
    And to DNO, the whole point of a "Launch Party" is to show off the new release. I say it would be better to let the "Launch Party" be just that... a party and serious competitive players can have a "Launch Tournament" another day (which is what is happening here in DFW with the two separate events).

#13 8 years ago

Josh, you can do whatever you like with your own pin. But if you are a distributor or business (or manufacturer supplying give aways) that is hosting, wouldn't you want the most people attending as possible? No pressure. Just an opinion.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ed_in_Texas.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-problem-with-launch-parties?tu=Ed_in_Texas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.