4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by yancy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg

#1 4 years ago

We all know the excitement... that new pin is being shipped to customers and Launch Parties are announced. YES! I can't wait to check out that new game, look under the hood, see my pinball friends and visit...
    Oh wait, what's that? The new pin is being used primarily in a tournament? Well crap. Guess I'll check it out some other time (and the Launch Party goes from 100 attendees to 20).

Don't get me wrong. I'm not anti tournament. It's just not my thing (just like 80-90% of the pinball community). I just like playing, restoring, and hanging out with my friends talking pinball. I DO think tournaments are an important part of the hobby. I root for my good friends that do play in tournaments, get excited when they do well, brag on them to other players, etc. While competitive play is a part of the hobby, it's NOT the driving force behind the "pinball resurgence".

So, my point to this post (more of a request) is this: Launch Parties Organizers, if you are planning this "Official" Launch Party to be a tournament, please allow at least half the time (or more) for non-tournament play so the bulk of the pinball community can come check it out
    I'm sure the pinball manufacturers would appreciate it if 80% of their potential customers could also come see and play the game.

Just my .02
    Ed

image.jpg
    #2 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ed_in_Texas:

We all know the excitement... that new pin is being shipped to customers and Launch Parties are announced. YES! I can't wait to check out that new game, look under the hood, see my pinball friends and visit...
    Oh wait, what's that? The new pin is being used primarily in a tournament? Well crap. Guess I'll check it out some other time (and the Launch Party goes from 100 attendees to 20).
    Don't get me wrong. I'm not anti tournament. It's just not my thing (just like 80-90% of the pinball community). I just like playing, restoring, and hanging out with my friends talking pinball. I DO think tournaments are an important part of the hobby. I root for my good friends that do play in tournaments, get excited when they do well, brag on them to other players, etc. While competitive play is a part of the hobby, it's NOT the driving force behind the "pinball resurgence".
    So, my point to this post (more of a request) is this: Launch Parties Organizers, if you are planning this "Official" Launch Party to be a tournament, please allow at least half the time (or more) for non-tournament play so the bulk of the pinball community can come check it out
    I'm sure the pinball manufacturers would appreciate it if 80% of their potential customers could also come see and play the game.
    Just my .02
    Ed

image.jpg

Since the launch party went to only 20 people, there should be a better chance to get plays on it then when there is a 100 people.

#3 4 years ago

That sucks!

Launch parties run by AMD in Sydney allow players 3+ hours before any tournament starts. They normally have enough machines there to cover tournament and social play, for duration of day. It works well for me as the misses will normally come and the more I can get her into pinball, the more pinballs for me.

#4 4 years ago

Honestly, the biggest problem with launch parties for me is they are a ~2-3 hour ferry ride (including waiting around at the terminal), followed by a ~ 2 hour drive plus likely a hotel stay away .

So, the majority of people who don't have one within reasonably easy access might see your "biggest problem" in a different light.

#5 4 years ago

Luckily for Ed, in the DFW TX area, the game will be available all day long to tournament and non-tournament players alike at the Nickelrama event.

Plus we will have TWO parties. Fun!'s event will definitely not be used as a tournament machine. It will be available for groups of 4 people to play together, just like we did the WWE event.

The Sunday party starts at Noon, but the tournament doesn't start until 3pm. And it's an all day event, combining Kiss Pro, Father's Day, IFPA Tournament and a good ol' fashion fun. Plus Kiss is not the exclusive game during the tournament. It will be one of 11 games available for the tournament.

So there will be two opportunities for pinball players to come out and enjoy the new Kiss machine.

Marcus

#6 4 years ago

Yup. DFW is doing it right (Good job Marcus). I wasn't referring to a paticular event. Just something a lot of non-tourney players talk about when Launch Parties are announced. For those allowing plenty of time for everyone to check it out the newest game, thank you!

#7 4 years ago

Or the first time you get to play the game is during tournament or golf because everybody was whoring it for practice.

#8 4 years ago

The problem with launch parties, tournament or not, is not enough of the launch title, and too many people wanting to play.
    Sort of like trying to play the big lebowski at a show.
    At least when there's a tourney, you get some guaranteed time on it.
    If you really want to check out a new title, launch party isn't the place.
    If you want to hang with some pinball peeps, and casually check out the new game, launch on!

#9 4 years ago

I don't even know where to start with this.

You're happy with local events, so what's the point of this thread. FUN was packed with so many bloody people last time that aren't even tournament/competitve players in any fart's imagination that it was almost impossible to get onto the game...that combined with some extremely long-playing games. I literally spent four times the amount of time talking to two guys about buying their first game than I did actually playing the game. Had *absolutely nothing* to do with tournament or not, or tournament players.

There's too many freakin' interested people with the way the hobby is to do a launch party with ONE machine.

#10 4 years ago

So where can I find info about the FUN party?

Sunday, Fathers Day, is no go for me but Saturday sounds great!

#11 4 years ago

Josh, my post wasn't directed at any single event. Yes, the WWE Launch Party at FUN was packed and a great time. It was also NOT an IFPA tournament and the tourney they did have was more casual and fun. FUN is also not your typical Launch Party scene as they have more space and games for social play and visiting.
    I even recall you making comments to the DFW group about the large number of people that show up at regular pinball parties with no tournament, but the pinball league you were running only had a handful of players show up.
    Again, I'm not knocking tournaments. I love hearing about them and seeing the picture of everyone holding trophies, etc. It's just the vast majority of pinball collectors are not competitive players and would rather have friendly games against each other, socialize, etc. They want to see the new games too.
    Relax Josh. Don't stress out. It's only pinball
    And to DNO, the whole point of a "Launch Party" is to show off the new release. I say it would be better to let the "Launch Party" be just that... a party and serious competitive players can have a "Launch Tournament" another day (which is what is happening here in DFW with the two separate events).

#12 4 years ago

It is strange to me that its an issue. If I buy a new pin and want to have a launch party - great. If I want to have it a launch tourney - great. Why should it be a thing for the community to pressure me one way or another?

#13 4 years ago

Josh, you can do whatever you like with your own pin. But if you are a distributor or business (or manufacturer supplying give aways) that is hosting, wouldn't you want the most people attending as possible? No pressure. Just an opinion.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ed_in_Texas:

I even recall you making comments to the DFW group about the large number of people that show up at regular pinball parties with no tournament, but the pinball league you were running only had a handful of players show up.

Half the people that showed up regularly, that was their first tournament experience, so not sure what the relevance here is. It wasn't worth the points either, and everyone was invited to email and join up. I took anyone that said they were going to come, and a lot of those that said they would never showed up. That's not any fault of mine.

Quoted from Ed_in_Texas:

have friendly games against each other

Where are these so called people? I guess they don't live here in Dallas, because as stated, we have a core group of tournament players, and a handful of people that show up to events. None of the "old guard" of the DFW Pinball Club ever show up to events these days unless there is something free for them to partake of, or the possibility of winning money. The league at Nickelrama has a bunch of new guys playing, and some of them are REALLY good... I hope you get to meet Mitchell and Kevin at the launch party.

I'll make a bet with you. I just ordered Titan Rubber for all my games. When I get it all installed and the games cleaned up, I'm going to have a party/get-together. I bet you that the number of people that show up will be right around 10. Feel free to stop by and prove me wrong.

Quoted from Ed_in_Texas:

Josh, you can do whatever you like with your own pin. But if you are a distributor or business (or manufacturer supplying give aways) that is hosting, wouldn't you want the most people attending as possible? No pressure. Just an opinion.

Steve can do whatever he wants. I went to WWE launch knowing it wasn't IFPA...no biggie...just wasn't expecting the huge crowd. Good and bad, I wanted to play more...who didn't?! I'm just saying this time around, knowing KISS is going to be at Nickelrama for a good long while, I'm gonna let other people take their turn there at Fun if that's a convienient time for them...it's not really for me to run out of work at 6:30pm and haul ass over there to play one game on the machine. I need like......15 games. I should be able to figure out if I can get past the horrible theme that I have no love for or not by that point.

#15 4 years ago

For what it's worth, I don't understand why the 'official' Stern launch parties that appear on their flyers would be tied to tourneys at all anymore. They were granted a special status previously where they were worth full points even WITHOUT the normal month notice, but after the change for it to be that the tourney could happen any time during the year, and then the total retroactive-kick-in-the-nuts-screw-you-you're-not-getting-any-real-points-for-these-again nerf, made it even less of a reason to tie them together...so I guess in the end I'm on your side, but for a completely different reason.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ed_in_Texas:

Just my .02
    Ed

image.jpg

Our launch party here for KISS wouldn't be like that here.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Our launch party here for KISS wouldn't be like that here.

Yes, when the events were full point events we used to get 2 machines and have 1 qualifying game on each for each person, with your top qualifying score counting. Everyone was then ranked based on best score, then the top 16 play off in groups of 4, eliminating 2 people each time, to down to 8 then 4 and how you finished in the final four group was how you ended up. Anyone who didn't qualify finished by how their best score ranked. It worked well. People got to play the game a few times and because it was automatic full point value for WPPR points, it was worth a lot of points regardless. For Walking Dead, we even brought in a 3rd game that was just set on free play all night. I can see the need because of time and game constraints, but I just could never get on board with the official format of, play 1 game, top 4 play off and that's it...everyone else go home. That wasn't fun IMHO and if we had to run one like that, I wouldn't do it. It's not worth it for people to clear their schedules, drive long distances battling traffic to have a bad game and go home. That isn't a launch "party". We always did it up big, custom t-shirts, tons of prizes and drawings several games on free play. Lots of fun.

With the IFPA scoring changes, we can't do that anymore. That format would be worth next to nothing for WPPR points and it is a lot of work to coordinate and keep track for that format. For Wrestlemania, we only had one game so we went to a Survivor style tournament playing in groups of 4 with only the worst score eliminated each round and a consolation bracket for the 1st round losers. When we got to the final four, we played 3 rounds on Wrestlemania, knocking out one person each time till the champ was crowned. For the regular part of the tournament until the finals, we did not use Wrestlemania. We kept Wrestlemania on free play the entire night and ran a high score contest on it, with the top score winning a Wrestlemania Translite. This kept the game open for everyone to play and we still had a lot of fun with the Survivor Tournament too.

For KISS, we may have two KISS pins, but we will probably keep the format the same and use one of them in the tournament and have a high score contest on the other all night long. That gives max play attempts on the new game for everyone. I think it works out best and people seemed to like the format.

#18 4 years ago

I've run five launch parties, most which were run on week days (for some reason it was what Stern wanted at the time) and I typically allow people to show up around 5 for open play, with the tournament starting around 6:30-7, then unlimited free play as late as anyone wants to stay. The tournament usually only takes around 3.5 hours (I've been lucky and had two machines at most of them, so they've gone fast even with 70+ entrants), so the bulk of the time is actually casual play. Of course, not everyone wants to stay really late, but the opportunity is there.

I agree, though, that it would be cool to just have a casual play launch party. I think the best compromise is to have them on Saturdays so that there's plenty of time around the tournament for casual play.

#19 4 years ago

Launch parties were started by the IFPA! I guess that's why they are associated with tourneys.
    In Colorado they are held by different operators, so they are all different.
    But the IFPA is awesome about getting some trophies and swag from stern.
    so, I guess launch parties can still be tourneys, since that's how they started.
    And other "release showings" could be held for the collectors.

#20 4 years ago

The launch party collaboration between Stern and us was never meant to be more than a "Chicago thing". The intent was to create a mini pinball show for a night that celebrated the launch of the new title. Many shows have a tournament component for a select group of players, and our job was to handle that part of the party (organize the tournament, make trophies, etc). We also had free play machines, as well as an autograph session with the design team. Stern would then film all of it and use it as a promotional tool to help sell games. For those that attend the launch party that we always have at Pinball Expo, that's really how it's meant to be designed.

Fast forward over the past 5 years, and we've run into distributors, operators, collectors, etc that wanted to be involved in the launch party. For a while we required a minimum of 2 title machines so one could be used for the tournament and one could be used for free play. We've since removed that requirement and pretty much anyone with a machine can run an "official" launch party assuming they follow our guidelines of being able to offer the attendees a chance to play the machine, have some fun, and participate in an "official" IFPA tournament.

Like DNO said, we're part of this process to help promote the IFPA and competitive pinball as much as we are to help Stern promote their latest release.

Can't believe the first one was 5 years ago! I had two less kids and a lot less grey hair . . . and Josh Henderson couldn't get into a PG-13 movie. Video or it didn't happen!

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

The launch party collaboration between Stern and us was never meant to be more than a "Chicago thing".

The early days posts were put up looking for places in other cities to hold launch parties. Not isolated to Chicago. Posts are still out there on RGP or Pinside.

Quoted from ifpapinball:

For a while we required a minimum of 2 title machines

When I inquired it was a 3 game minimum.

Lloyd

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

ifpapinball said:

The launch party collaboration between Stern and us was never meant to be more than a "Chicago thing".

The early days posts were put up looking for places in other cities to hold launch parties. Not isolated to Chicago. Posts are still out there on RGP or Pinside.

IIRC after the success of the BBH party we worked directly with a few distributors on the Iron Man and Avatar launches to be able to hold simultaneous parties across the US. These were all held the same night. I think it was with Tron where we really started looking to expand (1 party was cool, 4 parties was coolest, having a dozen or more would be coolest?). We also relaxed on making sure they were the same exact evening over the years.

Like everything we've done, there's been a natural evolution throughout the years.

Looking forward to the KISS parties. Trophy parts arrive today for me to have some fun with

#23 4 years ago

The launch party tournaments are a fun way to give competitive players a chance to try out the new game and provides a promotional/marketing platform for the operators buying the games that reaches beyond their typical audience (Stern will promote on social, for example).

If you don't like competitive play, why not set up a casual gathering on the new game(s) at another time? Around here, new games are usually set up and available for a while even before the launch party tournament.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ed_in_Texas:

Just my .02
    Ed

image.jpg

Hahaha this rings true to me...

I went to a Star Trek launch party near me. I found out it as a tournament and if i wanted to play it was $2 a play to get smoked by some top tier players. Game looked nice, but i didnt play it because i am not really interested in a tournament. I just wanted to see the new machine and play a game or two.

#25 4 years ago

Yeah, I'm in the top 100 and I'm not going to pay 2$ a play at a launch party either, for the record. Maybe if it was 50 base points.

#26 4 years ago

So, Ed for all your complaints, how many tournaments have you helped to put on? What is stopping you from doing your own *launch* party?

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

So, Ed for all your complaints, how many tournaments have you helped to put on? What is stopping you from doing your own *launch* party?

He runs TPF. Xerico generally runs the tournaments though. I don't remember Ed ever specifically running a tournament himself, but he doesn't really participate in the competitive events either. If it's not his thing it's not his thing, which I can understand, but our issue locally for prior parties has been too short a time allowed on one machine to let everyone get a decent crack at playing it. It's a valid request to have the tournament part only take half the available time, especially given how few points these things are worth now due to format and it generally only being the one game.

Xerico has a good plan to have the bigger tournament at another location and using all of the pins there to run the tourney not just KISS. We're very fortunate that we have a location getting one AND Fun letting people invade their shop again for this. People in Ft. Worth gonna have to drive or buy a KISS though. They're severely lacking in pinball locations over there!

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Yeah, I'm in the top 100 and I'm not going to pay 2$ a play at a launch party either

Seriously? That's almost Sterns factory setting now.
    Somebody went to the trouble of arranging a party, moving games, running a tourney, food?, scorekeeping, trophy/swag, etc..
    And two bucks is too much to play a game you WANT to play?

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

Seriously? That's almost Sterns factory setting now.
    Somebody went to the trouble of arranging a party, moving games, running a tourney, food?, scorekeeping, trophy/swag, etc..
    And two bucks is too much to play a game you WANT to play?

Yes.

I can freaking wait a few days to play a game, or until TPF if I have to, and save my money.

This isn't even an issue here. I can't even remember the last launch party that did that. KISS will be playable at Nickelrama soon, likely at 20 cents a game, just like every other pin they have in their lineup. I've played in 2-buck-upchuck charity tournaments before....in fact, if I recall right, that was the one that everyone got all pissy about because I got 25 points for winning against the other three people that bothered to drive 30 miles in one of the worst ice storms that D/FW has ever had to get to it.

Don't care about trophy, swag (Stern is very generous to donate this however....it's not paid for by the location!), crap food that I can't or don't want to eat and my kid with multiple food allergy sure as hell can't eat....scorekeeping? Really? I can do that. **Have** done it. A LOT. This is like typically 10-15 people, not Superleague dude. Moving games.....every launch party that's been held in Dallas has been done on location, or at FUN with one of their floor models AFAIK. Tron was the only one I know of that even had two machines, and that was my very first tournament. I know the second machine was there on location for a few weeks, then it disappeared, so I supposed someone did move that one... all the rest of the games from launch parties over the last 4 years are still exactly where they were???

*edit* I would rather pay FUN 2 bucks a beer (though legally I supposed they can't do that..) than pay 2 bucks a game to play. The beer last time was appreciated, lol

#30 4 years ago

Why not do both? Have a party one day and then a tournament the other day. Or have the party for the first half of the day then a tournament on the machine the second half. It doesn't have to be an either-or.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gusphan:

Why not do both? Have a party one day and then a tournament the other day. Or have the party for the first half of the day then a tournament on the machine the second half. It doesn't have to be an either-or.

As an organizer, the biggest obstacle is scheduling. Typically, at least my experience with local players, players are willing to travel once in a weekend for something like a launch party.

And the locations hosting the event are typically business that are donating their time and location to host an event. And I believe most parties are from 3-5 hours. While that seems like a lot of time, when you have 20 people lining up to play one machine, that 5 hours goes by quickly.

In the perfect situation, having having a launch tournament AFTER a launch party will cater to everyone.

In reality, organizers should cater to their local audience. In the DFW, we have an eclectic group of collectors, so hosting two events may become the norm for us.

Marcus

#32 4 years ago

Why not just have the new game available for people to play and have a separate tournament that doesn't include the new game? Is there documentation somewhere about how launch parties work?

#33 4 years ago

So I am a collector and I am in the DFW area, how do you get on these lists of launch parties and gatherings in my area?

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Why not just have the new game available for people to play and have a separate tournament that doesn't include the new game? Is there documentation somewhere about how launch parties work?

The reason is that IFPA carved out a special exemption for "Launch Tournaments" so that they would be official IFPA sanctioned events without being on the IFPA calendar 30 days before the event.

Launch Parties have evolved in some locations beyond the tournament, but the "Party" has been a combined effort between Stern & IFPA to market the latest Stern offering as a synchronized event.

Nothing is stopping a location from hosting a Launch Party that does not include tournament play. However, the events that are "official" are the ones that have a tournament on the IFPA calendar.

Marcus

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

This is what we now do. For Wrestlemania, we had Wrestlemania on free play and a high score contest going during the entire event. The tournament was on all the rest of the games and we didn't use Wrestlemania until the final round where it was used for the last 3 matches, 1 person eliminated from the final group of 4 in each round, until the champ was crowned. This way, people were able to play it during the vast majority of the event, and we still used the game during the most meaningful part of the tournament.

We will probably have two KISS pins for that launch party, so we will use one in the tournament and leave the other on free play with a high score contest for the entire event. Best of both worlds.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from TxJay:

So I am a collector and I am in the DFW area, how do you get on these lists of launch parties and gatherings in my area?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/164360813769869/

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Yes.
    I can freaking wait a few days to play a game, or until TPF if I have to, and save my money.
    This isn't even an issue here. I can't even remember the last launch party that did that. KISS will be playable at Nickelrama soon, likely at 20 cents a game, just like every other pin they have in their lineup. I've played in 2-buck-upchuck charity tournaments before....in fact, if I recall right, that was the one that everyone got all pissy about because I got 25 points for winning against the other three people that bothered to drive 30 miles in one of the worst ice storms that D/FW has ever had to get to it.
    Don't care about trophy, swag (Stern is very generous to donate this however....it's not paid for by the location!), crap food that I can't or don't want to eat and my kid with multiple food allergy sure as hell can't eat....scorekeeping? Really? I can do that. **Have** done it. A LOT. This is like typically 10-15 people, not Superleague dude. Moving games.....every launch party that's been held in Dallas has been done on location, or at FUN with one of their floor models AFAIK. Tron was the only one I know of that even had two machines, and that was my very first tournament. I know the second machine was there on location for a few weeks, then it disappeared, so I supposed someone did move that one... all the rest of the games from launch parties over the last 4 years are still exactly where they were???
    *edit* I would rather pay FUN 2 bucks a beer (though legally I supposed they can't do that..) than pay 2 bucks a game to play. The beer last time was appreciated, lol

Wow. Lame attitude. The event isn't structured to your personal preferences and needs, so you can't even respect it enough to drop 2 bucks. If it were me, even if what we wanted out of a launch party was identical, I still wouldn't want you there.

This is the worst part of being a tournament or event organizer. I can't count how many times certain people acted like I was busting my ass solely for them, seemingly oblivious of the time, energy, planning, coordinating and promoting that goes into it. And then they'd stand there like "Well, aren't you going to do it the way *I* want it??" Yeah, uh, no. Have fun in your basement playing for "free".

#38 4 years ago

$2 games on me if I ever see ya at a launch party frax.

#39 4 years ago

In Madison we are hosting a launch party and we completely understand the desires of people are all over the spectrum and try to tweak the format we provide as such.

We are on our 2nd 'official' launch party and this is our style.

Game will be on location as soon as we get it and this will typically be a week before we can hold the party. This gives all locals an opportunity to come check out the game and give it a whirl in a more intimate environment.

For the launch party we combine it with our regular standing monthly event but expand the format of the monthly event. This provides the opprotuntity for people to have a casual competition on botht he regular games we have on location and a seperate comeptition on the launch game. In effect this means that people really interested in IFPA points are going to spend more time on the bigger point event and the launch game then becomes a bit more open so everyone geta a shot.

We have the launch game event open from 11-4 and playoffs over by 5. This means that from 5pm to 2am the launch game is then open for everyone else to play.

Expanded monthly is open from 11-5 with a bigger playoff at 5 and means the more hardcore players are busy in that playoff which is a pressure relief for those interested in some fun with the launch game.

We have only done it once so far but this seems to be a fun style of launch event that can cater to the wants of lots of differnet players (from competitive to casual to social, and all combinations).

I can say it takes quite a bit of effort to put one of these on but it is a lot of fun and I am really looking forward to the KISS launch!

www.madisonpinball.com for details

Stop on out if you are in the region.

Pinside thread here also.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kiss-launch-party-madison-june-20th#post-2490495

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

$2 games on me if I ever see ya at a launch party frax.

Coming to Texas anytime soon, lol? I'd stop by Modern if I ever made it to NYC, but honestly that's probably not likely. My wife and I have a lot of places on our vacation-want-to-go list but NYC probably pretty low.

Honestly, if the situation ever arose that I was getting a game and would have it at the same time as a launch party, I'd probably be the first guy in line to donate my game as use as a second non-tournament game. Seems like these things are always planned and held before anyone other than location/retailers in our area would have them though.. nothing wrong with that, but would be cool to see a trend towards two events, one IFPA and one not.

Quoted from jonnyo:

even respect it enough to drop 2 bucks.

It's got nothing to do with respect for a tourney director. Why on earth would I go pay 2 bucks a game (plus coin drop if it's on location...don't forget that part...we don't tend to screw over the two ops in our area) when I don't care about an insignificant points gain for purposes of IFPA and would rather avoid a big crowd otherwise. That's patently ridiculous to say that just because someone doesn't want to pay a "gatekeeper fee" to play a new pin, they're being disrespectful. I don't treat the people in my local area that don't come out to tournaments that way. If they don't want to play competitive pinball, then fine...but disrespectful....get over yourself. There's a reason that tourney structures are generally supposed to be known in advance of the tournament...not every format is liked by every player, and some people choose not to attend based on that. I've done enough pingolf at this point that I don't like that format, so I'm not going to any more pingolf tournaments. Is that disrespectful too? Pfft.

Going to the one at Nickelrama on the 21st, so go pound sand for all I care. I'm sure Ed will probably be attending the one at FUN, but apparently he's already seen and presumably played the game since he had pictures of him standing in front of a wall of KISS playfields up the other day.

#41 4 years ago

I'm in Colorado. Closer than NY, come on out!

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

I'm in Colorado. Closer than NY, come on out!

And apparently I am blind. LMAO...

I (and I know my wife... har har) would love to go out to CO, actually. I'd just like to go to see all the ridiculous pinball stuff and to meet JJ and see Game Exchange or for a PAPA event and she'd want to go well....um...yeah.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

It's got nothing to do with respect for a tourney director.

I said "respect for the event", and all the work that goes into it, not the tourney director specifically. The people who bring food, scorekeepers, sponsors who donate prizes, the op or reseller who makes the major purchase on a game that might suck and loses its NIB status.

Quoted from Frax:

Why on earth would I go pay 2 bucks a game (plus coin drop if it's on location...don't forget that part...we don't tend to screw over the two ops in our area) when I don't care about an insignificant points gain for purposes of IFPA and would rather avoid a big crowd otherwise.

To support your local scene? To meet and socialize with other pinheads? To enjoy the "first look" experience with lots of other pinheads? It's fine if it's not your thing but the way you cry about the whopping 2 bucks, crappy food, etc. it's like you're getting ripped off. Lame.

#44 4 years ago

SHM...whatever dude. Agree to disagree. My first look might be a few days or months later than someone else's. Big whoop, that's my choice, not yours. 2$+ a game is a ripoff, TO ME, and nothing you can possibly say changes my assessment of how it affects *me*. You want to run that type of event or attend it, be my guest.

If other pinheads wanted to meet and socialize in our area, then they would be asking for information for these events, as was done above (who I PM'ed before my wife messaged him), showing up for league nights and other tournaments or... *GASP GASP* RUNNING EVENTS THEMSELVES. What's hilarious about this whole situation is that you are exactly projecting the situation of everyone else in my area onto me, when I'm the one running AND attending tournaments, hosting parties, attending leagues, and running leagues. It's completely preposterous. Why don't you join our facebook group that includes hundreds, if not thousands, of people that aren't even in the Dallas area, and jump them for never showing up to support events, along with the plethora of people that are local that haven't showed up to anything but Texas Pinball Festival in over a year, despite all of these events being *FREE*.

Draining the thread, as I don't feel this is enough of a case to put you on ignore, but I'm done arguing about this.

#45 4 years ago

Everything's bigger in Texas, even the tantrums.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 12.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 7,499.00
    $ 26.50
    $ 30.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    £ 29.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 44.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 30.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 89.99
    $ 39.50

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside