Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by swampfire
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

...dialogue. Not only is it imperative to have well-known, popular quotes from the source material, but it is absolutely VITAL to have original, pin related comments for genuine immersion. Most of the "A list" licensed games have original voice work that put them into that next tier.

Games with knock-off voice work is like drinking Dr Check instead of Dr Pepper.

IMO anyway.

#2 9 years ago

I agree that it's a great compliment to a game, and helps push it into the 'next tier', as you stated. Not necessary for a game to be amazing, however it really would be nice if it were used more often, considering how much these games cost to buy.

#3 9 years ago

Every star's agent looks at voiceover work from the pricepoint of the current crop of animation films.

#4 9 years ago

...and of course, some star's voiceover work was terrible.

Think how bad Tim Curry's voiceover is in The Shadow - easily the worst part of the entire game.

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Every star's agent looks at voiceover work from the pricepoint of the current crop of animation films.

Yeah, I think it would take some benevolence on the part of the actors and actually wanting to participate not so much for the money but for the fun. Pipe-dream these days I guess.

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

...and of course, some star's voiceover work was terrible.
    Think how bad Tim Curry's voiceover is in The Shadow - easily the worst part of the entire game.

Curry was in Shadow? I thought Congo...

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

Yeah, I think it would take some benevolence on the part of the actors and actually wanting to participate not so much for the money but for the fun. Pipe-dream these days I guess.

Maybe back when pinball was making more money than movies, but actors nowadays probably don't even know that pinball is still being made.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

Curry was in Shadow? I thought Congo...

Both!

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Maybe back when pinball was making more money than movies, but actors nowadays probably don't even know that pinball is still being made.

That's where the mnfgrs come in. Didn't Dr Mcoy do voice work for Trek? Maybe some actors are willing.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

That's where the mnfgrs come in. Didn't Dr Mcoy do voice work for Trek? Maybe some actors are willing.

Still trying to figure out what a 'mnfgr' is...

#11 9 years ago

Thank God Karl Urban is a pinball fan.

#12 9 years ago

I actually love Tim Curry's voice work in Congo.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

I couldn't care less about themes, but the I thought Stephen Lang's audio work in Avatar actually improved the game. The character was over the top to begin with and he played it to hilt both in the movie and in the pin. It was cool to see pics of him smiling when his game was delivered. Harder now, but not impossible.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

Still trying to figure out what a 'mnfgr' is...

Heh, the 'g' shouldn't be there...manufacturer...

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

I couldn't care less about themes,...

Wow, then I think you are missing out on an important aspect of the entertainment. Take Pin*Bot, one of the best games ever made. The theme is a giant robot in space! The flippers are his fingers and you lock balls into his eye sockets! You shoot into his chest plate to open the visor.

These integrations make the game very fun and engaging. Also cool original robotic dialogue.

Not caring about themes is like playing whitewoods. You miss a giant part of the fun.

IMO

#16 9 years ago

It sounds like its a big headache and sometimes extremely expensive to get all the voice actors. I know that if you just have one line in a movie you get paid well thanks to the unions.

#17 9 years ago

I can't even imagine how much it cost Williams to get the entire ST:TNG cast to do even the limited voice work the machine had.

#18 9 years ago

I actually find it quite annoying that every game that comes out now IS a licenced theme. It seems that manufacturers now use familiar images, sounds etc as a substitute for innovative game design, while adding to the cost of production. Games like Pinbot, Funhouse and Medieval Madness didn't suffer at all from not being based on a movie/band/TV show, in fact they were probably better for it.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from Circus_Animal:

I actually find it quite annoying that every game that comes out now IS a licenced theme. It seems that manufacturers now use familiar images, sounds etc as a substitute for innovative game design, while adding to the cost of production. Games like Pinbot, Funhouse and Medieval Madness didn't suffer at all from not being based on a movie/band/TV show, in fact they were probably better for it.

I agree, and those games mentioned have great original dialogue. But if it *has* to be licensed, it *needs* some original pinball-scripted work by the featured characters. It doesn't have to be all of them. Even one is a big plus.

I wonder how many TWD buys were cancelled due to poor dialogue?

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

I couldn't care less about themes, but the I thought Stephen Lang's audio work in Avatar actually improved the game. The character was over the top to begin with and he played it to hilt both in the movie and in the pin. It was cool to see pics of him smiling when his game was delivered. Harder now, but not impossible.

Couldn't agree with you more, the way he taunts you in the game really gets me going and I just want to cram that ball up his Amp suit.

#21 9 years ago

Rember when pinball had no voice work at all? Or very primitive speech.
    And they were still able to make great games that are still fun to play today.
    Think pinbot, high speed, centuar, gorgar, black hole etc.
    1st world problems. Hmmmmm

#22 9 years ago

I can only imagine what kind of play an $8000 pin would have if $3500 of it didn't go to license fees.

#23 9 years ago

Austin Powers - I think they just took sound bites out of the movie and made them work in the Pin !

#24 9 years ago

Tron...

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

I wonder how many TWD buys were cancelled due to poor dialogue?

Good question. I've played the pro for a few hours and I think the theme implementation is terrible largely because of the terrible dialogue.

#26 9 years ago

Listen to topcast #59
    http://www.pinrepair.com/topcast/past.php

Fred young did voices for over 50 pinball machines (mostly data east/sega/stern). Even if we could get decent impressionists, it would be better than some of the voices they used on Sterns (xmen and avengers comes to mind).

#27 9 years ago

Don't get me wrong, if I had one movie to watch for the rest of my life, it would be TBL, but if they screw up this pin, I'm going to be upset. I will probably drop the cash on a HUOLE so long as it comes with the rug, but it is too much money to risk on somethat could suck new.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Listen to topcast #59
    http://www.pinrepair.com/topcast/past.php
    Fred young did voices for over 50 pinball machines (mostly data east/sega/stern). Even if we could get decent impressionists, it would be better than some of the voices they used on Sterns (xmen and Avengers comes to mind).

Sure, an excellent mimic would suffice nicely. But entirely out-of-character or not-even-remotely-similar results in a lackluster package, IMO.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

Remember when pinball had no voice work at all? Or very primitive speech. And they were still able to make great games that are still fun to play today.

And remember when the background sounds got faster and higher pitched the longer you played? That was really cool.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-problem-with-current-license-themed-pins-is and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.