(Topic ID: 323195)

The Price of Power, How much is a KW where you live?

By Kiwipinhead

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Mattyk
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

gztr03w6v4621 (resized).jpg
    20201119_124749 (resized).jpg
    39a6394a6c745affbc18274b2601959adfef6d9e (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

In these crazy energy times I am watching and reading how much Power is going up around the world.
    I have seen in Austraila the new price is 71c A KW on peak? 15c off peak?

Here in New Zealand I am paying 28c on Peak, and 15c off peak which is 9pm to 7am

So I'm just interested in if your power has gone up and what it costs per KW where you live.

Thanks in advance

#2 1 year ago

I was 7 cents a few months ago...right around 11 cents a kwh now (USD).

#3 1 year ago

About $0.26/kwh with all fees. No dramatic jumps so far, seems to go up 1-2 cents a year. But I wish we had cheaper off-peak times! Jealous.

#4 1 year ago

In Denmark it's around $1 on the days with little wind (energy production mostly from windmills) and in Norway 80-90c even though all production is through hydropower and the whole country is self-sufficient with energy production - but that's what the people get when politicians signs deals with the EU to expert the energy out of the country

#5 1 year ago

Idk, we went solar a few yrs ago, no elec bills, and it's paying us back for 80% of the 25 k it cost to install

#6 1 year ago

12.5 Cents

#7 1 year ago

Last I looked it’s 9kwh in the winter and maybe 11 or 12 in the summer

It’s probably gone up since then.

I’m pretty good with electricity so knowing the price won’t matter much to me.

#8 1 year ago

6.9 cents per KW, locked in for a year. Distribution costs 7.1 per KW.

#10 1 year ago

Sure enough, it’s up.

However I had to look at the statewide average. I suspect I might be a little cheaper being in the suburbs but they “have no offers in my area” if I type in my zip

#11 1 year ago

12.5 cents for me 24/7

#12 1 year ago

10 cents Canadian for me, 24/7

#13 1 year ago

Portland
    0.22 peak
    0.125 non peak

#14 1 year ago

Here in the central valley California it depends on the various plans. We are all on mandatory wireless meters that report automatically based on time of day and usage. So there are "time of day" usage rates for those that choose that and I'm on the "Tiered Rate" plan, that has varying/escalating costs based on actual usage, no matter time of day. According to the rate calculator this is my "best plan".

The rates go up constantly, almost every bill has a small flyer notifying us of another rate increase application to the state regulatory entity. And now new legislation to ban all gas appliances in new homes and the elimination of ICE cars. So I'm sure it will only get worse. Oh, and they are trying to modify the solar discounts and rates for both existing and new solar customers.

California has two large primary investor owned utilities and, I believe only two others that are smaller for the Sacramento and San Diego areas, but I'm not too sure about them.

Here are my current rates:

High Usage Charge
    46 ¢ for all kWh used 4034+

Tier 2
    36 ¢ for all kWh used 1077-4303

Tier 1
    28 ¢ for all kWh used 0-1076

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from danisme:

Here in the central valley California it depends on the various plans. We are all on mandatory wireless meters that report automatically based on time of day and usage. So there are "time of day" usage rates for those that choose that and I'm on the "Tiered Rate" plan, that has varying/escalating costs based on actual usage, no matter time of day. According to the rate calculator this is my "best plan".
    The rates go up constantly, almost every bill has a small flyer notifying us of another rate increase application to the state regulatory entity. And now new legislation to ban all gas appliances in new homes and the elimination of ICE cars. So I'm sure it will only get worse. Oh, and they are trying to modify the solar discounts and rates for both existing and new solar customers.
    California has two large primary investor owned utilities and, I believe only two others that are smaller for the Sacramento and San Diego areas, but I'm not too sure about them.
    Here are my current rates:
    High Usage Charge
    46 ¢ for all kWh used 4034+
    Tier 2
    36 ¢ for all kWh used 1077-4303
    Tier 1
    28 ¢ for all kWh used 0-1076

Wow. It’s almost like Cali hates it’s residents.

#16 1 year ago

This is only the start.

We converted to wood burning some time ago.

#17 1 year ago

Just checked the town I grew up in, Richland WA. Currently 0.10 kw 24/7. They have nuclear plant and hydro.

#18 1 year ago

I can’t figure out why anyone lives in California

#19 1 year ago

The per kWh price is interesting, but I’m curious about your annual kWh usage at those higher prices, such as in California.

We used just over 35,000 kWh for the last 12 months of heating and cooling, for example.

#20 1 year ago

I'm in central California.
    Tier 1 0.09¢ kwh
    Tier 2 0.15¢ kwh

I'm one of the few that doesn't deal with PG&E that runs most the state. My city has its own power.

#21 1 year ago

$0.19/kwh here.

#22 1 year ago

Moved sadly from 0.027 at my last house.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from TDK-WPG:

The per kWh price is interesting, but I’m curious about your annual kWh usage at those higher prices, such as in California.
    We used just over 35,000 kWh for the last 12 months of heating and cooling, for example.

Hadn't really looked at this, but my utility web site provides usage information in several ways. This is the last 12 months. It is usually high 90's to low 100's in the summer months, so AC is big usage factor and Jun is probably a little higher than it should be because my AC was low on refrigerant and was running more than normal and I didn't realize it. Other variables include working from home full time until the end of March 2022 and usually away on the weekends taking care of my mom. I live alone in about 1800 sq ft house.

Total = 7,645

Month Net Usage (kWh)
    Sep 2021 516.00
    Oct 2021 446.00
    Nov 2021 474.00
    Dec 2021 528.00
    Jan 2022 490.00
    Feb 2022 403.00
    Mar 2022 384.00
    Apr 2022 469.00
    May 2022 927.00
    Jun 2022 1384.00
    Jul 2022 898.00
    Aug 2022 726.00

There are various other charges added on too. Here is my last bill...

Details of your new charges
    Your rate: DOMESTIC
    Energy-Summer

Billing period: 08/15/22 to 09/13/22 (30 days)

Delivery charges - Cost to deliver your electricity
    Basic charge 30 days x $0.03100 $0.93
    Tier 1 (100% of baseline) 660 kWh x $0.16465 $108.67
    Tier 2 (101% to 400%) 66 kWh x $0.24520 $16.18
    Wildfire fund charge 726 kWh x $0.00652 $4.73
    DWR adjustment 726 kWh x -$0.00208 -$1.51

Generation charges - Cost to generate your electricity
    Tier 1 (100% of baseline) 660 kWh x $0.11259 $74.31
    Tier 2 (101% to 400%) 66 kWh x $0.11259 $7.43

Other charges or credits
    Fixed recovery charge 726 kWh x $0.00096 $0.70
    Subtotal of your new charges $211.44
    State tax 726 kWh x $0.00030 $0.22

Your new charges $211.60

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from avspin:

12.5 cents for me 24/7

Same.

The "transportation fees" are more than the electric though and I have been working on reducing that.

39a6394a6c745affbc18274b2601959adfef6d9e (resized).jpg39a6394a6c745affbc18274b2601959adfef6d9e (resized).jpg
    #25 1 year ago

Rate on 7/31/22 = .12 kw.

rate on 8/1/22 = .22 kw

almost 100% increase.

#26 1 year ago

Just under 10 cents here. Making megawatts is my living. Here is the veiw from my desk.

20201119_124749 (resized).jpg20201119_124749 (resized).jpg
    #27 1 year ago

We were blasted by a price increase last January. Our rates increased by 250%. Naturally it was only for a few months, followed by ridiculous answers to easy questions.

We ended up going with an alternate supplier, but must still pay local company (NYSEG) for maintenance and delivery. We're at $0.08 fixed for a year, plus d and m.

Like others here, I see the writing on the wall. Put a deposit on a wood stove yesterday.

Fully expecting a carbon tax soon, but if big companies can lease forest to "not cut down" to offset their carbon footprint, I guess my avre of woods will do the same...

As to California; forcing the end of ICE cars while simultaneously asking you do not charge your cars with rolling brownouts...Thank goodness you've got almonds to water

#28 1 year ago

~0.07 cents/KWh off peak and ~0.24 cents/KWh peak pricing on city power in Northern Colorado. Peak hours are 5-9pm Oct-Apr and 2-7pm May-Sept. Not sure how that helps working families, but no one asks… shift your usage! Laundry and dishes do themselves during the day while you’re at work! Set the clothes dryer alarm for midnight, very restful. Talk about checking their privilege…leadership anyone? No? SMH…

After a 17 month shitshow with Sunrun, recently brought 29 panels and 2 Tesla batteries live. Not here to save the planet, it’ll be just fine. More importantly, despite terrible leadership at all levels it looks like I should be able to keep the lights on if brownouts occur, keep bureaucrats out of my thermostat(78 degrees suggested in the summer? GTFOH), and with the coming base KWh price increases from Nat gas price explosion basically guaranteed, the purchase looks better by the month… My 25-year solar KWh price lock is ~30% higher than off peak and ~60% less than peak pricing now. I never thought I’d see price parity between grid off-peak and my set-up…but reading about the prices paid and increases in this thread….maybe? Lots of people moving to CO, not a lot of generating capacity even planned, let alone being built… and a CO town already losing control of their ‘smart’ thermostats this summer…

Plus, I like the idea of sunshine powering my pinball play!

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/colorado-utility-company-locks-22000-thermostats-in-90-degree-weather-due-energy-emergency

Or if you don’t like Fox

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/smart-thermostats-shut-down-colorado_n_63117334e4b020c4ffab781d

#29 1 year ago

6.5 cents in Ohio. Mostly Nat gas or coal based. No surcharge for peak.

#30 1 year ago

So I added up my last 12 month total costs and it looks like this. So solar payback period would take awhile. I'm hoping to move out of this state within a few years so probably wouldn't make financial sense even with the tax incentives. And Calif will be increasing the costs for solar customers one way or another to offset the savings. Gotta keep up the incoming revenue. And not making this political is challenging me.

Month Net Usage (kWh) and total bill
    Sep 2021 516.00 $242.58
    Oct 2021 446.00 $97.57
    Nov 2021 474.00 $118.75
    Dec 2021 528.00 $129.77
    Jan 2022 490.00 $149.27
    Feb 2022 403.00 $137.81
    Mar 2022 384.00 $113.36
    Apr 2022 469.00 $52.66 includes $59.00 "climate credit"
    May 2022 927.00 $140.04
    Jun 2022 1384.00 $298.74
    Jul 2022 898.00 $751.37
    Aug 2022 726.00 $272.48

Total 12 month period (USD)=$2,504.35. If I had a pool, a family or an older house it would be way higher. I wonder how much my pinball machines are adding to the cost, lol.

Also natural gas is a separate cost and billed from another investor owned utility. And burning wood has already been outlawed in many/most areas so that's not an option. And farming, including Almonds, is going away due to the new water management restrictions, so much of your food will all be imported. Farm land for food is being turned into "solar farms" more and more in my area. And yet now new concerns about all the vacant farm land creating excessive dust, think dust bowl situation developing.

Just stating facts.

#31 1 year ago

Imagine being forced to buy an electric car that takes all day to charge then being told you can't charge it half the day. Then you need to go out a buy a generator to charge your electric car during the "forbidden hours." Wouldn't it be amazing if you can buy a car that runs on gasoline from the start?

gztr03w6v4621 (resized).jpggztr03w6v4621 (resized).jpg
    #32 1 year ago

First thing that caught my eye was it only took $100 for people to relinquish control. Yikes.

#33 1 year ago

I'm on a solar buyback plan in Texas. Each kwh we buy from the grid is 14.9 cents, but each kwh we send to the grid gets us 11.9 cents credit. So far this month we have a negative balance, so now that it's cooling down and the sun is still shining, we're basically getting free electricity.

#34 1 year ago

I'm used just over 23000kwh for the last year. And I have two air conditioners and a pool. It does not include heat. That's natural gas at a fraction of electricity. I guess I shouldn't complain about my 12.5 cents even with a 7% increase coming up after seeing some of the others above.
    I do use Ecobee with room sensors but there is no way I would let my power company have any control over them.

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from RonSS:First thing that caught my eye was it only took $100 for people to relinquish control. Yikes.

Well, they DO get an extra $25 a year too!

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from TDK-WPG:

It's very hard to generalize utility costs in California because there are so many variables, like most things you have to look deeper.

For example closer to the coast you don't need much air conditioning or heating at all, our home didn't even come with air conditioning. Additionally just like with taxes, electric is charged on a progressive scale that ramps up. So like with taxes where middle class and below pay less taxes here compared to other states like Texas, likewise with electric if you don't use much you don't pay much. Costs are skewed to the top tiers. Monthly bills of < $50 are common in my circle.

Another example is getting solar and battery storage is easy here which not only can offset the costs of electric, it can also be a profit source. We plan on adding Tesla Powerwalls to our solar setup and join the states virtual grid so we will able to sell electric to the grid at $2/kW during peak loads. To my knowledge no other state offers this.

So while this is a quick summary of rates here:

https://paylesspower.com/blog/electric-rates-by-state/

...it really doesn't tell the full story. I lived in Canada and while on paper utilities are cheaper there, in reality we pay far less in California than we ever did in Canada just because of the harsh weather up north and less ways for people monetize electric. It's a similar story compared to the other states we lived in the USA.

TL:DR: Costs will depend on your circumstance, how much you take advantage of the states perks and/or which part of the state you live in.

#37 1 year ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

6.5 cents in Ohio. Mostly Nat gas or coal based. No surcharge for peak.

Do you have CEI or Cleveland Public Power? 6.5 cents is one of your supplier's charges or the distributors charge but not the total. The alternate suppliers put their rates on the bill in plain sight, but the real charge is probably closer to 13 or 14 cents because the Supplier charges are usually about half of the total bill.

Just take your total and divide it by the KWHs and see if its .13 - .15 somewhere in there.

#38 1 year ago

I’m paying $0.25 per kWh. Average bill is $165. Sometimes I’m closer to $125 and sometimes over $250.

Just signed up to buy solar panels. 15 year loan at $192 per month. Seems to make sense.

#39 1 year ago

So your average bill is 165.00. So get solar panels to get rid of the 165.00 only to pay 195.00 for the next 15 yrs??

Yea that makes sense

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

So your average bill is 165.00. So get solar panels to get rid of the 165.00 only to pay 195.00 for the next 15 yrs??
    Yea that makes sense

Reminds me of this:
    Screw these gas prices, Im getting an EV! So instead of paying $300 a month in gas on my paid off car, I'll just pay $900 a month on my $50k car loan for the next 72 months! Im so glad this is an option, especially for those in lower income scenarios heavily impacted by prices at the pump.

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Yea that makes sense

Electricity costs never go down. My break even is less than 8 years assuming a 3% annual increase in utility rates. I’ll pay this loan off much sooner. So yeah… made sense

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-price-of-power-how-much-is-a-kw-where-you-live?hl=nhpolarbear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.