Topic Stats

• 69 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by embryonjohn
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

really_bad_Beat_Time_(resized).jpg
12F3V_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
PhotoGrid_1448839402903_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

Some people don't have it. Me ~ I'm currently in recovery. I'd buy anything up to a point if the price was right. I have friends who (thought/think) like me who have multiple rotted out B and C list games that they'll restore in the "not too distant future" and when you ask when they bought them, you'll get answers like, "oh, 10 or 15 years ago, I dunno...
When I first got into pinball, I'd get this feeling that I was the luckiest guy in the world to be the 1st person to respond to and look at some dog of a pin that had been sitting down some basement for 20 years. Every time I'd go see some Craigslist laugher I thought I'd never get a chance to see another one and feel some self-made pressure to buy.
Like yesterday, I go to look at a Genie that the seller described as being in "good" condition for $500. Turns out it had water damage everywhere. The transformer was just a block of rust. You could tell it must of been homeless at some point and spent some time in Tarp City, USA. But I still, STILL, thought about grabbing it and I already have a real nice Genie at home now!
The older I get, the more sure I am: the the best deals in life are the deals you don't make and just walk away from.
We all post pictures of the games we own now with loads of before & after pics, crow about our latest pickup and make the restoration seem almost easy. How about posting picks of games you walked away from or just the details and how much time & money you would've wasted.
It might just give us all some strength to turn and run, and who knows, it could even help bring down these insane prices.

#2 3 years ago

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

#3 3 years ago

I saw that one on feebay and I said hell no! That's a real turd right there.

#4 3 years ago

That would empower me to run like hell and not look back

#5 3 years ago

+1
you said it all
best wishes for your continuing recovery

#6 3 years ago

Drove from Tampa to Miami (3 1/2 hours) to pickup a F-14. The pin was kept in a Florida room (a room with big windows and screens that can be opened, a very weather controlled room). The boards looked like it was covered by green mold, the playfield was worn and it would not turn on, the widow didn't understand the cost to replace the boards and would not come down one cent. Long story short just had to walk away. Culeless people trying to sell their golden turds!

#7 3 years ago

Them. "But its an antique!"
Me. "No, its just old and in horrible shape."
Since no pinball machine is over 100 years old, using this term really pisses me off. I am not stupid, but you apparently are and I am not buying a new turd or an old turd.

#8 3 years ago

I said to the seller, "dude, if your flatscreen TV dropped in your swimming pool, would you think it still had value? This is an electronic device that's corroded beyond repair"

He said, "Someone will buy it for $500

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

He said, "Someone will buy it for $500

And he is probably right.

He's waiting for someone just like you described yourself when you were new to the hobby and would hurry to be the first person to answer an ad.

#10 3 years ago

Sellers see them as collectable pieces of furniture and whether they actually work is an afterthought and your problem

#11 3 years ago

Gotta know when to hold 'em...

#12 3 years ago

Congratulations . It is hard to walk away, and very hard to control the beast. I have got to the point where I don't even enjoy the moment I get a new game. Two minutes later I'm looking for the next, even though I just picked up a great game. I am going to try and take a step back and try to enjoy the fact that I have a great collection. I can't buy them all

#13 3 years ago

Congrats on overcoming the beast John. This is the hardest thing to learn in this hobby.

#14 3 years ago

I have walked away. Took awhile to learn my lesson but I did.

#15 3 years ago

good topic

#16 3 years ago

Thanks Crispin.
Here's my best walk away story:
I was 21 and about to marry my childhood sweetheart but there was only one problem - her mom. She was an alcoholic, manipulative horror-head. I figured as long as I got my girl away from her we'd be good and so we set out to look for a home to buy. Put in an offer that was accepted and started the process. I brought my general contractor brother to inspect and she brought her mom to "just" look. As my bro and I inspected some window sill rot from the outside we her her mom say from an open window, "I don't like it! There's no room for me here!"
After we got home I asked her if she indeed planned on bringing the mom to live with us. She said, "of course, I just can't leave her now, or ever"

She never did give me the ring back

#17 3 years ago

I'm often a sucker for these poor neglected pins. Especially when they are dirt cheap. Even though I'm not a master restorer I sometimes feel an obligation to save them in some form. At least make a player out of them again. You are absolutely right though, it's often a relief when you can convince yourself to just walk away.

#18 3 years ago

Every person who is new to the hobby should buy a cheap pile of crap like a beat up EM and be forced to try to restore it to get the need to buy everything out of their system. Better that then dropping 2k on a DMD that should be parted out.

#19 3 years ago

I've driven 5 hours each way to buy a game, and came back with an empty truck. And the trip ended up being one of the most fun pinball trips I ever took.

The machine was not as it was described. I understood why he wouldn't send good pictures. But then as I walked out I started looking up pins in the area. I ended up finding 3 different locations to play and ate one of the best cheeseburgers I've ever had. The truck was empty, but I had a blast.

No matter what happens, always be open to changing a downer into something fun. If you look for fun, it will find you.

#20 3 years ago

Only a ring? You got away cheap.

#21 3 years ago

This should be mandatory for all new members to read. But maybe it's a journey we all must go through into the darkness and back into the light. Sometimes hard to remember someone will always have more money or more space. Try to remember that we are all lucky.

#22 3 years ago

Me and the old lady have driven 4 hours one way many times and had to drive back empty handed bc the pins were not even close to the described condition. It ok bc we love road trips and the thrill of the hunt

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

Here's my best walk away story

Best walk away ever!!!!

#24 3 years ago

You walk away?

#25 3 years ago

i have to walk away all the time. Some of the projects I have had For 5-20 years, I just dumped, because
I now realize I have neither the time or strength to restore.
Sadly, Ive seen some of these games change hands 2-3 times with no work getting done, as a bargain is a bargain, but like any other group, there are more pins that needs months of resto and sweat, then there is people with time to do.
Going through the garage again over the Holiday, to pile up parts, sell shit, and generally reduce again.
Only a couple easy projects to keep.
I hate to see the other treasures I have hunted down with much time and sweat to find, go for a price to move....but I am almost done.

Today, if its not a weekend or two resto, I have to pass...Ill never know if I can get the time to go further,
Makes me enjoy playing, testing new products, and some tinkering joy....more then enough.
It can get hard to see a garage, room or basement of projects, and walk by going, "ill get to those soon"

Better to just, "Walk away", as the Op says...

Now, why didnt I learn this about women years ago........

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Today, if its not a weekend or two resto, I have to pass...Ill never know if I can get the time to go further,
Makes me enjoy playing, testing new products, and some tinkering joy....more then enough.
It can get hard to see a garage, room or basement of projects, and walk by going, "ill get to those soon"
Better to just, "Walk away", as the Op says...
Now, why didnt I learn this about women years ago........

I've been trying to restore my wife to "like new" condition for 20 years now. It's hopeless!

#27 3 years ago

its hard to walk away Ill try to restore almost anything.

--Jeff

PhotoGrid_1448839402903_(resized).jpg

#28 3 years ago

It took me quite a while to figure out that "no deal is better than a bad deal". Like the OP, in the beginning I bought everything I had a chance to buy whether I thought I could fix it or not. Just couldn't let the "deal" go by. I'd then get the game home, take a closer look, and realize that there was no way I'd ever get it fixed up/cleaned up and working. I'd then end up selling those games to other more capable people.

As I matured in the hobby, I started looking at games with a more critical eye and with a better understanding of what I could and couldn't do. This led me to being able to say "no thanks" on machines that were beyond my capabilities or were inaccurately described.

Here's one of my "walked away empty handed" stories. I was trying to buy a Guns and Roses from a guy about 4 hours one way from me. I kept asking for specific pictures of the high wear areas and he would always be just on the edge of what I wanted or just blurry enough that you couldn't see details. He assured me it was in good shape and that the game worked. We agreed on a general price subject to me being able to inspect it. So, I get there and as expected, the game had some pretty significant wear areas and the game doesn't work. So I tell him, based on what I'm seeing we need to adjust the price. His son (probably 13 or 14 years old) is in the room with us and he turns to his son and says "son, watch as your Dad shows you how to negotiate" He then proceeds to tell me that he knows I've driven 4 hours and he's sure that I won't go home empty handed and he's not adjusting the price as he knows it's worth more than what he's asking. I ask him if he's sure he won't considering bringing the price down a bit to account for what we've discovered. He says "nope, you're going to have 8 hours of driving time, tolls and gas into this trip so I'm sure you'll pay my asking price" I look at his son and say "you're Dad isn't going to be selling this game today as he's not willing to negotiate"

I left and drove home empty handed. I got a call from his wife about 4 hours later (I was almost home) asking me if I'd come back as her husband had "reconsidered" (I'd have loved to see how that conversation went between this guy and his wife). I didn't go back as the price wasn't all that great to start with and there was still no guarantee that we'd be able to work out a deal.

This was one of my first "no thanks" deals but it was actually pretty liberating and gave me strength to say no to other bad deals since that time.

#29 3 years ago

Awsome story Egyptrus!
Thanks for sharing with the group

#30 3 years ago

I know what ya mean Way2wrd
It took me a month just to get rid of the smell in the jeep.
But the name stayed

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

#31 3 years ago

It's amazing someone would actually sell a pinball machine in that condition! It's not that hard to wipe it off and vacuum it out. (That's what the flippers do......lol)

#32 3 years ago

I had to go to the mall yesterday to pick up a belt for my dryer at Sears. But instead of venturing further inside amid all the chaos,

I just walked away.

#33 3 years ago

Years ago I drove round trip 11 hours and came home empty. Each mile I drove further away from the deal, the better I felt about not buying. I've walked away from many deals since with zero regrets.

My story is very similar to the original post and I can identify with many of the responding Pinsiders.

The only incidental comment I'll add to the discussion is this: The power of walking away should also apply to buying new in box machines.

Great thread, Embryonjohn.

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

The only incidental comment I'll add to the discussion is this: The power of walking away should also apply to buying new in box machines.

I've been doing that on nib offerings since oct 2014. Never felt better. NEXT!

#35 3 years ago

Aww, isn't that cute. He built a nest for the pinball.

#36 3 years ago

I've had so many new people tell me, "I would love to buy a pinball machine! But, I don't want to spend more than $500".
I just have to say, "well.. You're not getting one then."

Those "deals" on CL usually turn into major projects just to get them working.

In my experience, it's far better to pay a fair price to a respected pinsider. You'll save a lot of time and money in the end.

#37 3 years ago

Some really good stories on this thread. I remember walking away from a 1979 Stern Dracula that I was super excited on buying. The ad glorified the Machine. I got one of the stories that the machine work perfectly right before I got there. The playfield had been graffiti by kids with sharpies. It was missing very crucial components on the playfield. The original asking price of 400 was reduced to "you mean you're you mean you're not even going to make me an offer" I responded yeah but it won't be over a hundred bucks. Walked away. On the other side of the spectrum I seem to be getting my best deals when I'm not at all interested and in low ball mode!

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

I've had so many new people tell me, "I would love to buy a pinball machine! But, I don't want to spend more than $500".
I just have to say, "well.. You're not getting one then."
Those "deals" on CL usually turn into major projects just to get them working.
In my experience, it's far better to pay a fair price to a respected pinsider. You'll save a lot of time and money in the end.

Sometimes you luck out, sometimes you don't. I've gotten a couple of nice games where the only major problem is a battery damaged MPU. On the other hand, I've also gotten a few cheap basket cases.

#39 3 years ago

Checked out a cbw project that needed lots of loving as far as playfield plastics rubbers dryrotted and broken etc but the dang boards looked brand new ended up passing on it even tho it was a 4hr round
trip wasn't the end of the world by no means I guess where hoping to find a diamond in the rough but more than likely its a burned out lump of coal

#40 3 years ago

I just seen this and got a funny mouse story. We drove to the big city (Detroit) to look at a bally wizard pinball machine. Like 3 hours away from here. Game was rough and I was gonna walk away and was to the point of leaving and the lady relented and sold it to me for 150 I was offering. It was pretty rough, didn't work and stunk bad. So I had all 3 kids with me and my son probably 10 at the time gave me a hand and we loaded it into the Ford Explorer we had. Made the journey home stopped for usual eats and stuff. We unloaded the cabinet by my walkout and I decided to tear it apart due to it being rough and having to go through all the stuff. So I decided to pull the bottom board out of the cabinet, as you EM guys know it's pretty easy. Removed the bottom And low and behold there was a live mouse. It scared the crap out of my daughter and startled me. The little guy panicked and ran straight up the side and out into the woods. And that's how a city mouse became a country mouse!

#41 3 years ago

12F3V_(resized).jpg

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Gotta know when to hold 'em...

...and when to fold em...

#43 3 years ago

I bought a tsunami Star Wars motion arcade last May (played one in Disney). I knew the thing would not be as described. I priced out a new joystick (600) and offered that much less than asking price and just had it shipped expecting bad things! Worse than I thought it would be but I fixed it and my nieces and nephew love it.
Does that count? I recognized that I would not walk away and shipped it instead of driving 22hours!

#44 3 years ago

Know when to walk away

And know when to RUN!

#45 3 years ago

I've learned to walk away...and have many times.

I've probably bought several pins that most people would walk away from. The only pins I buy are ones that have potential. Sure....I'll sink 120+ hours into the restore...but that's the funnest part of the hobby.

I've only truly regretted maybe 2 or 3 purchases, but those particular pins didn't stay long in my collection. The problem I have, sometimes, is I "feel sorry" for a poor neglected pin, and "going over-board" on the shop job.

But that's what I like...bringing old neglected pins back to life.

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Know when to walk away
And know when to RUN!

I've ran a few times.

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from egyptrus:

It took me quite a while to figure out that "no deal is better than a bad deal". Like the OP, in the beginning I bought everything I had a chance to buy whether I thought I could fix it or not. Just couldn't let the "deal" go by. I'd then get the game home, take a closer look, and realize that there was no way I'd ever get it fixed up/cleaned up and working. I'd then end up selling those games to other more capable people.
As I matured in the hobby, I started looking at games with a more critical eye and with a better understanding of what I could and couldn't do. This led me to being able to say "no thanks" on machines that were beyond my capabilities or were inaccurately described.
Here's one of my "walked away empty handed" stories. I was trying to buy a Guns and Roses from a guy about 4 hours one way from me. I kept asking for specific pictures of the high wear areas and he would always be just on the edge of what I wanted or just blurry enough that you couldn't see details. He assured me it was in good shape and that the game worked. We agreed on a general price subject to me being able to inspect it. So, I get there and as expected, the game had some pretty significant wear areas and the game doesn't work. So I tell him, based on what I'm seeing we need to adjust the price. His son (probably 13 or 14 years old) is in the room with us and he turns to his son and says "son, watch as your Dad shows you how to negotiate" He then proceeds to tell me that he knows I've driven 4 hours and he's sure that I won't go home empty handed and he's not adjusting the price as he knows it's worth more than what he's asking. I ask him if he's sure he won't considering bringing the price down a bit to account for what we've discovered. He says "nope, you're going to have 8 hours of driving time, tolls and gas into this trip so I'm sure you'll pay my asking price" I look at his son and say "you're Dad isn't going to be selling this game today as he's not willing to negotiate"
I left and drove home empty handed. I got a call from his wife about 4 hours later (I was almost home) asking me if I'd come back as her husband had "reconsidered" (I'd have loved to see how that conversation went between this guy and his wife). I didn't go back as the price wasn't all that great to start with and there was still no guarantee that we'd be able to work out a deal.
This was one of my first "no thanks" deals but it was actually pretty liberating and gave me strength to say no to other bad deals since that time.

What a great story. Good for you. But what kind of an asshole says that to his son and in front of a stranger. Unbelievable. Just terrible.

#50 3 years ago

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 269.00
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
€ 8.40
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
€ 45.00
Boards
FLIPPROJETS
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Summerville, SC
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Senoia, GA
1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Windham, ME
€ 85.00
Boards
FLIPPROJETS
Various Other Swag
Third Coast Pinball
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Great American Pinball
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Metalhead Pinball
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside