Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,192 posts
  • 144 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpg
    Taxman-bad_hair_day_(resized).jpg
    Randy_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    00e178b3bfc6e63946bd2d13e625c55f_(resized).jpg
    Boob_(resized).jpg
    DSC02411_(resized).JPG
    DSC02407_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dooskie.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#714 7 years ago

In reading all the way through the threads for the Allentown show and the Pintastic show, I notice a completely different feel between the two. I've never been to either one:

1. Allentown show seems to be a bit bigger, with lots more machines being sold.

2. Allentown show had quite a large flea market, a smaller scale at Pintastic.

3. Lots and lots of negative comments about machines leaving the free play area early at Allentown, and not one single negative comment about that at Pintastic.

4. Several negative comments about 'enthusiastic' staffer's at Allentown, not one negative comment along the same regards at Pintastic.

5. Lots of comments about game pricing at Allentown, haven't noticed it for Pintastic.

I'm guessing there are several Pinside members that attend both shows, and that both shows have their strong points and weak points. If a person could only attend one of the events, and both were equal travel time, how do you choose which one to go to?

#726 7 years ago

Had a friend pick up a perfect Black Knight backglass for me on Friday. I am really excited about having this game restored and having it in my arcade.

#797 7 years ago
    Quoted from docquest:

They crew there made a documentary a few years ago called "the history of pinball" it was on AMC. The original was not in high definition so they want to update it with new HD material. Once it's done they still need to find a buyer so it might be a while til it sees the.light of day. You might be able to find the original if you search online. I bought a copy of it.on DVD at pintastic. I think I saw copies at Pin Wizard in Pelham.

Pelham has 10-15 copies, at least they did when I was there in May. What a great place, btw.

#855 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That's a terrible idea and would be a huge detriment to the event. The host hotel was sold out LONG before I booked my room, so what is the need for this policy? To make the show less fun for the large group of people who can't get rooms at this paradise?
    I also don't see how trying to shut out people from the free play area is going to help people sell games that they brought - it wasn't exactly a seller's market at the show this year and I saw several get sold at the last minute as they were being broken down late.
    How are you gonna enforce it anyway? You really going to have somebody working the door at 1 am telling drunks they can't play pinball in a mostly empty room just because they don't have a room there?
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The show was great this year and I'm recommending it to all my NYC friends - and all these people are busy and can't decide to go the show until late anyway when the host shithole is booked solid anyway. You are gonna make me look bad.
    A more productive approach would be to ask the hotel if they might consider cleaning the mold out of their rooms and updating some of the dumpy carpet and ceiling tiles. I know, silly idea but in the long run this might benefit the show (and the hotel) more than trying to shut enthusiastic pinheads out of the late night festivities because they don't want to sleep in a moldy/musty dump or booked late.

How do you really feel?

#942 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

I'm thinking about this, but my plan involves upgrading our audio-visual capabilities. We would want to make the seminar a complement to available on-line info (e.g., http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Beginner%27s_Notes ), where the live demonstration amplifies what you heard or read before.
    .................David Marston

Fantastic idea! This would be excellent!

#1005 7 years ago

Think 'tweaks' not 'overhauls' folks. A lot of suggestions, while well-meaning, would create so much extra work, especially for the return, and I am not talking financial return.

#1007 7 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Please explain.

That was directed to the people that had paragraphs upon paragraphs with suggestions for huge changes in the show. It sounds to me like a tweak here and a tweak there (i.e. better signage, a cutting-edge way to report free play games that are down) are more what's needed. Otherwise, it sounds like the show hits on all cylinders and doesn't need to do much to improve an already great show.

#1074 7 years ago
    Quoted from rkahr:

Over in the Northwest show thread I've read the show will COME GET your game and BRING IT BACK if you are willing to put it in freeplay during the show. I think their radius is pretty tight (less than 100 miles), but it seems to be a big success out there. What if Pintastic could use (pay) the official transport company to offer a similar opportunity? This year the official transport was Ray from Games on the Go, so let's use him as an example:
    1. Ray does his long-haul loops to collect what people want to meet at the show. He gets to Sturbridge 2 days ahead of the show and his haul is unloaded into a holding space at the hotel.
    2. Show coordinates a couple of local routes for him to run (and labor for the ride) to collect freeplay games. You guys know the geography and population areas, so perhaps runs paralleling interstates make more sense than a radius... the goal being to fill the trailer without a lot of time consumed.
    3. Games are in freeplay for duration of show. Ray uses his storage space to deliver the long haul games he brought and to collect the outgoing long-haul games.
    4. Post-show, local game-return loops are run.
    5. After the local loop(s), long haul is loaded and away Ray goes.
    Lots of details to sort out (eg., $$$, what if local is one-way b/c of sale, etc.), but there is a model to follow out in Tacoma. Maybe a show volunteer/employee could even reach out to CL "For Sale" posters in the month(s) ahead of the show to try to populate the local route(s) from people who might not even know the show exists.
    -Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for Wiliams system 3-7 sound board potentiometer solutions

I will be more than happy to provide two or three games for the free play area. If I end up being able to go to the show, I will bring them myself. If I am not able to go, if someone can come and pick them up, be responsible for the games, and bring them back, I am fine with that.

#1103 7 years ago
    Quoted from mainelycoasters:

Might not be able to do that but If any Maine people are willing to send a game or 2 I would be willing to work with them on transport and set up and break down. I am more then ok to drive a big fricken uhaul full down. I know I will have help at the show If I am loaded with a bunch of games. So many hands are willing to help, just ask them. if anyone from Maine or even some parts along the way want to work with me on it I am game!

I'm in for that. Three games. I'm in Old Town, 10 minutes north of Bangor.

1 week later
    #1158 7 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

Talk to your credit card company.

How about taking responsibility for your own actions instead of blaming everyone else?

#1160 7 years ago
    Quoted from kvolak:

That shows personal responsibility. Displacing the blame to others shows upper management potential.

And people wonder why our country is the way it is.

#1162 7 years ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

Just curious, is this a dig on me or the hotel?...Just wondering

if you have to ask......

#1164 7 years ago

Figured I'd ask to see who I'm dealing with.....what "actions" should I be taking responsibility for exactly? Trusting what a hotel staff member tells me? I don't think I really have to say, yet again, that I never asked for or expected my money back for deciding not to stay at the hotel and that my buddy and I had decided not to stay and eat the cost before speaking with the employee at the front desk. I figure I really do not have to mention that yet again, correct?
    So.... please educate me so I can fully understand your insightful statement.

So quit your bitchin' then about a minimum wage employee that obviously didn't know the policies and gave you a wrong answer. Christ, you're writing a book about it. It's guys like you that think because someone makes a mistake that they have to compensate you 10-fold. I sold a set of golf clubs to a fellow on eBay a few years ago. I mucked up and sent him the wrong set of clubs. When he contacted me about it I told him that I would issue a pre-paid UPS return label and that I would overnight the correct set. Nah, that wasn't good enough. I had wronged him because of my mistake. Not only did he want the clubs overnighted, but he felt he was entitled to two more free clubs to compensate him for 'pain and suffering' because of the stress I caused him by making a mistake.

Get over it pal and move on.

#1166 7 years ago

Lol, so now I'm asking to be; "compensated tenfold" ? Your an interesting individual that I'm glad I hopefully will never have to deal with in person....I see your posts in other threads stiring the pot as well, there are tools in every shed I guess.
    Anyway....I knew before I posted my experience that at least one nitwit behind a keyboard would troll it out, but I guess I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone else that it may happen to...It was nothing big, and once again (to assist with your inability to read) I did not ask for any compensation.... Thanks for your input though buddy
    O, and you still didn't answer my question to your original insightful post, what actions should I be taking responsibility for again?

#1168 7 years ago

Lol, so now I'm asking to be; "compensated tenfold" ? Your an interesting individual that I'm glad I hopefully will never have to deal with in person....I see your posts in other threads stiring the pot as well, there are tools in every shed I guess.
    Anyway....I knew before I posted my experience that at least one nitwit behind a keyboard would troll it out, but I guess I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone else that it may happen to...It was nothing big, and once again (to assist with your inability to read) I did not ask for any compensation.... Thanks for your input though buddy
    O, and you still didn't answer my question to your original insightful post, what actions should I be taking responsibility for again?

always interesting when people resort to name calling. Pretty good indication of someone's intellect.

#1169 7 years ago

mods, no worries. I'll chill.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dooskie.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pintastic-new-england-show-2016-thread?tu=dooskie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.