Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,192 posts
  • 144 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpg
    Taxman-bad_hair_day_(resized).jpg
    Randy_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    00e178b3bfc6e63946bd2d13e625c55f_(resized).jpg
    Boob_(resized).jpg
    DSC02411_(resized).JPG
    DSC02407_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmarston.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 7 years ago

Hey drsfmd, you can plan on the Friday seminars leaning more toward technology and repair, and Saturday being the more general interest topics. We don't plan to have seminars on Thursday - that day is just for the free play rooms opening up and setup for other rooms. In last year's schedule, our "late-breaking developments" time slot was late Saturday and stuffed with news; expect something similar this year.

Anyone reading this who wants to propose a seminar: we could handle 1-2 more, especially if the topic is about the coin-op business (or game-selling business), New England arcades of the past, playing techniques, or building a game of your own design. Presenters who live in New England are especially encouraged! If we get too many topics, that just puts us in a better position for the 2017 show.
    .................David Marston

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from DarkTruth:

I will not be able to bring my game till Friday mid morning. This OK?

If your game is present for Friday and Saturday, you get a free admission for those days. We have early setup hours on Friday morning (starting at 7:00) for people like you who can't get there until Friday.

1 week later
    #100 7 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

2 Experts to help out?

More than two, in fact! I know there will be some EM experts there. And probably more experts for the newer games.

1 week later
    #158 7 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Friday night is SOLD OUT! FYI staying at the host hotel under the Pintastic block on Thursday still gets you in to the after party.

There are other hotels within walking distance, but I think they are more expensive. If you can only stay in the show hotel Thursday night, you at least saved money that night, and qualified for the after-party. Then you could switch hotels during the day on Friday.

#176 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mayboyz:

Whats the speaker schedule ?

Friday afternoon, starting at 12:30, will be mostly technical topics, ranging from simple preventative maintenance to designing and building your own machine.

Friday night, we have the John Youssi seminar starting at 7:00 PM. This time is subject to change if other Famous Pinball People decide to attend.

Saturday, we start off with John Trudeau at 10:00 AM, then our reserved slot for late-breaking developments.

Saturday afternoon: Jaap Nauta, Jeremy Saucier, Steve Ritchie.

Saturday night: the Jersey Jack Pinball team.

This is all subject to the usual disclaimers.

#195 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mayboyz:

Why no LLOYD OLSEN?

As Gabe pointed out, it's expensive, and also we plan to rotate speakers year by year. But now I see that some people have started their own rotator for Lloyd. Next year, you can buy him a booth, too, which automatically gets him on the expo map.

PM me suggestions for speakers/presenters for the 2017 show! We have a limited budget for pin-celebrities, so buy an extra Pintastic T-shirt or something to increase the budget.
    Seminar Director

Aside to LTG: some of the above may have been said in jest.

#213 7 years ago

Do you have a game with John Youssi artwork? Please bring it!
    How about a game designed by John Trudeau? Please bring it!
    A game with software by Lyman Sheats? Please bring it! Especially the ones with rock band themes!
    I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

#217 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I've already created the fundraiser and am just awaiting Kickstarter approval. It will run for 15 days, and I'm kicking it off with a $50 pledge. That leaves $850 for Pinside to raise, and I'm hoping Pinside can do that in just a few days. The earlier Lloyd can book the plane tickets, the cheaper they'll be.

I just spoke with Lloyd. If all the transportation logistics work as planned, we can have the LTG show Friday night, July 8th. So the Friday night schedule would then become:
    6:30 John Youssi talking about pinball art he's done
    7:30 The LTG Show
    8:30 After-party for those eligible (see post #154 in this thread for eligibility criteria)
    Lloyd will be eligible for the after party due to his Special Guest status.

1 week later
    #276 7 years ago

Pintastic got a mention in Games World of Puzzles! (August 2016 issue, page 33)

This successor to Games Magazine is nationally distributed on newsstands and runs a pinball story about once a decade. Mention of Pintastic is on the same page as The World Boardgaming Championships and GenCon, two big-league gaming events.

#323 7 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Remember we are still looking for some video games as well this year.

Electromechanical arcade pieces are welcome, too. Especially pitch-and-bat baseball machines!

#353 7 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

Any plans for a pinsider meetup?

If there are any Pinside moderators who plan to attend Pintastic New England, please PM me.

I think there is potential for a Pinside meetup and an r.g.p meetup.

#372 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

I think there is potential for a Pinside meetup and an r.g.p meetup.

I'm designating 9:00 PM on Thursday, July 7th. We'll meet in the foyer outside the Ballroom, toward the back. ForceFlow (a Pinside moderator) plans to be there. If there seems to be demand for a serious discussion, I can find a later time slot for a follow-up meeting. Please come prepared to state your real name! This is social, but it's also an opportunity to build trust within the community.

#374 7 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

Dang. I won't get there until early Friday morning.

Maybe the Thursday night meetup will result in the designation of a particular time/place for Pinsiders to go to dinner at one of the fine eating establishments in the vicinity.

#421 7 years ago
    Quoted from Quint:

For those of us who may be posting updates and pics to Facebook or Twitter.
    Is there a hashtag you would like us to use?
    I was thinking of using a double #Pintastic #Pintastic2016

It has to be #Pintastic2016 because plain "#Pintastic" already has widespread use in the Pinterest universe.

#423 7 years ago

Referring to the Thursday 9:00 PM meetup:

Quoted from DaWezl:

I'm also not getting there until mid-day Friday as well.

If you and other pinsiders were to gather in the area in front of the Seminar Room, which you can locate on https://pintasticnewengland.com/expo-map/
    by clicking Seminar Room on the list down the left, at 5:00 PM or so on Friday, we could form traveling groups for various restaurants. Or a group could elect to stay there and eat the grab-and-go food. Actually, let's say 5:15 PM to allow time for those who brought free-play-room games to see if they won anything in that day's prize drawings. Is that enough of a plan?

PS: There's still time to sign up to bring a game for the free-play room!

#432 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinterest:

Gerry - I thought these were in pre-production?!?!? Any updates forthcoming at Pintastic?

Gerry has a session at 3:30 Friday in the Seminar Room. Be there!
    https://pintasticnewengland.com/speakers/

#490 7 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

The free play give away is at 6pm on Friday and Saturday.

Actually, the game-bringer giveaway drawings are 5:00 PM Friday and 9:00 PM Saturday. (Saturday early evening was just too loaded with other awards, including the drawing for the *other* VPCabs game at 5:50 PM.)

The game-bringer thank you drawing is separate from the game-bringer giveaway, other than the fact that you qualify for both by bringing games. As Gabe said, that's the one where we go around cutting off a piece of each game card starting at 9:45 Saturday night. If you bring a game, you will get a handout that lists all the key times for these prizes and more.

#491 7 years ago

And while looking at the game-bringer situation, I noticed that games are coming in from all six New England states, plus NY, NJ, PA, MD, and VA. Can we get some games from Canadian provinces? How about Delaware?

#530 7 years ago

Live report from the show: an additional ATM has arrived! And it's convenient to the vendor hall. The first ATM is in the hotel lobby. And remember our at-show financing.

#541 7 years ago
    Quoted from rhinobucket:

Will john trudeau be there tonight
    Want to bring my backglass to be signed
    And tonight is only 6-12?

He should be here tonight.
    Yes, tonight's hours are 6:00 PM to Midnight.

#594 7 years ago
    Quoted from halflip87:

Does anybody know if the 1-hour early access for Super Pass holders applies just to the vendor hall or the Free Play area? For example, could I show up at 8AM Friday (one hour before the free play room opens to the public)? Or do I just get early access to the vendor hall?

You get early access to both. I don't know if the auction guys will be waking up that early. However, the one-hour-early time for Friday is 9:00 AM (public opening at 10:00). Saturday times are 8:00 Super Pass, 9:00 public.

I'm posting this at 8:00 AM, and at least one of the outdoor vendors is setting up.

#668 7 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

RZ and AMH are at the Project Pinball Raffle Booth.

Actually, RZ is at the adjacent Southern NH Pinball booth. I almost missed it, too.

#775 7 years ago
    Quoted from mrgregb123:

My one suggestion to Gabe and crew might be to have a number players can text to notify staff of issues with a game. There really was no posted procedure for this and sometimes the issue doesn't make the game unplayable, but could be just as important.

I'll note those suggestions on the "things to do better" list that I maintain. (All who attended can PM me with suggestions.) We should have had some signage about the repair tickets, and maybe extra distribution points for blank tickets. For your information, the white-paper repair tickets were available for anyone to fill out. I noticed that some people returned the whole ticket to the repair station, even though the design was that part of the form would stay on the game so that others would know it had been reported. I haven't seen a better system at any other show, but if you have, send me details. We processed quite a few tickets, in addition to the unticketed work, so I'm sure there was apositive effect on uptime. We saved the tickets in case we want to analyze them as part of our planning for next year.

Speaking of which, mark July 6-9, 2017 on your calendars and try to have a game you want to show off ready to bring next year!

#807 7 years ago
    Quoted from Vector:

I know I was supposed to give a seminar, but I had so much to do to prep for the show, that I didn't have the time to put together a decent presentation. I didn't want to just get up there and wing it - that would have been painful indeed! Sorry about that.

Big thanks to Tony Dziedzic, Dave Metrando, and Lloyd Olson (straight from the airport) for filling in, and winging it. There were enough questions, and prodding from me as moderator, to fill out the hour. It was all ad hoc, no prepared material!

#809 7 years ago
    Quoted from msjussaume:

I brought 8 machines and all of them held up great....

I did put a price on all of them and didn't really care if I sold them or not, but ended up selling 7 of them (I'm glad I did now because I bought Ivan's Kiss). All the buyers were cool and left the machines for the show's duration.

That's great news for all concerned. Between the incentives and the appeals to the generosity/conscience of the bringers and buyers, we achieved an extremely low attrition rate. This meant more hard-to-find games available on Saturday night for both pinball enthusiasts and locals who saw our publicity and advertising and visited casually after dinner.

#844 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The host hotel was sold out LONG before I booked my room...

Now that we have proven our ability to deliver more room-nights, we have the potential to work with a second venue as the official overflow hotel. But that second hotel would have to provide something we can use to enhance the show. In order to channel Levi's issue in a constructive direction, I pose this question: does anyone know of some real precedents for such deals? Note that ReplayFX is somewhat different; they have several designated hotels, but the show itself is not in a hotel, so all the hotels are equal. I'm asking about an unequal relationship between the show hotel and a designated secondary hotel.

#893 7 years ago
    Quoted from eabundy:

[Suggested changes:] Raffles you need to be there when your name is called. If not there at that moment, you lose..

I noticed that quite often, the person *was* there, but did not yell out anything or raise his/her hand, and just quietly walked out from way back in the crowd. We'd be more willing to cut that person some slack if they yelled "I got it" as soon as they realized they had a matching number. It's one of those irrational aspects of human nature. I have a couple ideas that will help.

#932 7 years ago
    Quoted from FunkyFreshWalrus:

I would suggest people claim their raffle by a certain time frame and then, if they don't claim it by then it gets redrawn at the next round of raffles. The game bringer tickets are a thank you, there shouldn't be too many conditions. Maybe you are working on a game, or playing in the tournament. Too much going on at once to force people to be anywhere at a specific time.

My remarks about people responsing promptly were exclusively directed to the general prize raffle (pink tickets), which had only one drawing on Saturday at about 6:00 PM. The only participants in this were people who bought in, and who put the other half of the pink mticket in the jar corresponding to the prize they wanted. Perhaps we need to make it clearer that when you buy those tickets, you ought to make it a point to be in a particular place at the one time that the drawing occurs.

For the white tickets (door prize) and green tickets (game-bringer giveaway), numbers were posted on whiteboards so you could come by at your convenience. The general prize raffle (pink tickets) is under review.

#933 7 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

[Regarding outdoor flea market:] I am thinking of droping the price to $55. Will see if that works. With that you get one free weekend pass so the spot is free. If that dosnt work than I don't know what to do.

Arrange for better weather? I don't believe that the price of the spot is going to make that much difference. Is there anyone who wants to set up just one table or one trunk/tailgate load? Maybe a low price for them and keep the $125 for "professional flea marketers" with their tents, trailers, and multiple tables. Or is there anyone who wants a one-day rate?

Potential flea market vendors: reply in this thread with your idea of the best deal for you, given that space is limited and the show has to recoup expenses.

#940 7 years ago
    Quoted from DaWezl:

I've already chatted with Dave about scheduling the Noob lectures at times when people are more likely to be off work, but I'm thinking it might also be really great to have time set up where someone opens up a machine and shows people around. Even simple stuff like how to remove the lockbar--my husband looked at me in amazement that I knew how to pop it open bc it wasn't obvious to him--but also pointing out switches, steppers, etc. If there's a lot of noobs, helping them understand the basics of pinball ownership would be a good gateway into the hobby.

I'm thinking about this, but my plan involves upgrading our audio-visual capabilities. We would want to make the seminar a complement to available on-line info (e.g., http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Beginner%27s_Notes ), where the live demonstration amplifies what you heard or read before.

#1000 7 years ago
    Quoted from eabundy:

Gabe how about setting up a flea market booth outside, but one that is run by the show. People can tag their stuff ahead of time and put it on the table for sale? Just limit it to a small amount per person, or incur a fee for many pieces. I always have small stuff I could sell but not enough for a full booth. Put a staffer there to handle the cash and payments.

Or maybe inside. I could offer my pinball-related vinyl records this way, but only if the booth is inside. For people interested in this consignment-sale deal: would you be willing to pay an up-front display fee? Commission if it sells? Both?

#1016 7 years ago
    Quoted from dellice45:

The games going down and needing to be fixed, there should be a system, not exactly sure what could be done better then whats in place, unless you want to broadcast it over the speakers with hey so and so your game is broken please come fix it .

In our defense, there *was* a system. It used paper repair tickets. There was a full-fledged workflow. I think that the Tech Team made lots of phone calls to game owners, but only when needed. Also, the game-bringers were given a handout that told them to visit the free-play room periodically and both look at their games and check for their name on the call board. We coached game-bringers about ways to implement free play at several points in the process, and I think that Dave Madore's Setup Team also checked for free play. I go to several shows, and this is the state of the art to the best of my knowledge. But we definitely want to push the state of the art further.

#1020 7 years ago
    Quoted from FunkyFreshWalrus:

I had an idea for repair tickets on games. What if each game's card had a scan-able QR code. Then anyone could scan the code with a phone, be brought to a simple page where they can describe the issue. That would trigger an email or text message to the games owner informing them of the issue.

If we have the QR code that anyone can scan, which I like, we should also make it facilitate sales and awarding of prizes. I'm starting to think of several uses for the code, some of which involve contacting the owner and some don't.

#1026 7 years ago
    Quoted from shlockdoc:

Each game should simply have a cell phone and send a text letting then know seems low tech simple. It is a persons responsibility to make sure a game works not just bring a dead mule.

We asked for contact info to be put on every game card, even Not For Sale games, for the specific concerns of making repairs as well as awarding prizes. But we want our Tech Team to be able to improve uptime with or without timely response by game owners, so we only ask players to submit a repair ticket to the Tech Team, who will then decide whether they need to involve the owner. For low-tech simple, how about if we have signs on the walls around the free-play areas that tell people how to report a problem? (I hope we have a range of ways to report, like some or all of: the tickets, voice call, text message, email.)

I also think there is value in having part of the paper ticket stay on the game, so that you know when a problem has already been reported.

#1052 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mocean:

I'm sure you've thought of this, but having free play games and tournament machines in the vendor hall will surely be confusing to casual players and off the street walk-in attendees. I think the judges will have a lot more work to keep randos from jumping on open tournament machines or getting in the way of competitors.

We can expand the options of the game card if need be, but I think if we have Pintastic game cards on every game that was brought in under the game-bringer incentive program, that covers most of it. Tournament games will be in a separate area, well protected from casual wanderers. In 2015, they were at the stage (East) end of the Vendor Hall. Some tournament games are from game-bringers and some are from the Sanctum Collection. We could put game cards on all the Sanctum games if that helps.

#1090 7 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

I want a local pinball club.... Poor eastern ny

How about the Buffalo group? Check buffalopinball.com to see what they're doing. If they have a caravan going to Pintastic, it would pass by you in Rochester on its way.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmarston.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pintastic-new-england-show-2016-thread?tu=dmarston and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.