3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,192 posts
  • 144 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 373 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpg
    Taxman-bad_hair_day_(resized).jpg
    Randy_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    00e178b3bfc6e63946bd2d13e625c55f_(resized).jpg
    Boob_(resized).jpg
    DSC02411_(resized).JPG
    DSC02407_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg

There are 1192 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 24.
    #901 3 years ago
    Quoted from mainelycoasters:

What if I won and was stuck at freeplay room or something....

You won enough stuff this year lol

#902 3 years ago

My kids and I loved the hotel. If you have kids with you its definitely nice to let them go back to the room whenever they want without having to drive them. They also liked the hot tub and pool. We'll definitely stay there again next year.

#903 3 years ago

The only reason I didn't stay at the host hotel was because I didn't want to be surrounded by a crowd of drunk (or sober) unshowered nerds for 3 days and also I hate crumb-snatchers (a lot). I showed up at 6p every day and hung out until very late. Used my Super Pass for all three days.

If next year I wasn't allowed into the free play area after a certain hour (even though I bought a Super Pass) because I'm not staying at the host hotel, that's a good reason to not make a 14 hour drive out there. Other than the sundaes at Friendly's, freeplay is the only incentive for me.

And in regards to bathrooms, ladies rooms were f*cking disasters every time. They need to put those tissue paper dispensers with the seat covers because I watched a lot of women turn and run when they saw the state of things.

#904 3 years ago
    Quoted from kvolak:

The only reason I didn't stay at the host hotel was because I didn't want to be surrounded by a crowd of drunk (or sober) unshowered nerds for 3 days and also I hate crumb-snatchers (a lot). I showed up at 6p every day and hung out until very late. Used my Super Pass for all three days.
    If next year I wasn't allowed into the free play area after a certain hour (even though I bought a Super Pass) because I'm not staying at the host hotel, that's a good reason to not make a 14 hour drive out there. Other than the sundaes at Friendly's, freeplay is the only incentive for me.
    And in regards to bathrooms, ladies rooms were f*cking disasters every time. They need to put those tissue paper dispensers with the seat covers because I watched a lot of women turn and run when they saw the state of things.

You will be aloud into free play till 1am after that we are taking about doing a 24 hour room for VIP hotel guests only. Is that fait enough? Nothing is set in stone yet.

#905 3 years ago

I can't believe people are stressing over a show that is a year away.

#906 3 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

When they love something the stress about it lol

#907 3 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

I'm stressing about you getting my wife loaded again a year from now.

#908 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm stressing about you getting my wife loaded again a year from now.

LOL! I am already looking forward to next year's show and will attend regardless of the little details. I have had a terrific time both years so far..........mostly while hanging out with Mrs. Beelzeboob

#909 3 years ago

Not a complaint at all just an observation...

The outside flea market seemed to only be 2 guys. Any way to attract more sellers or was everything gone by 9am Friday?

#910 3 years ago
    Quoted from jadziedzic:

763 total plays on my Twilight Zone Thursday through Saturday. It was down for a few minutes to re-lube the rocket kicker pivot and clear up a ball hang under the mini-playfield. I didn't get counts from Addams Family or Revenge from Mars, but they seemed to be just as busy as TZ. I think I cleared a ball hang on TAF on Saturday; RFM was trouble-free the entire show.
    There's probably an official game count for my Creature in the tournament room...
    Tony

Dear Sir,
    I fell in love with your Revenge from Mars on Saturday night. I wanted to take it home.

#911 3 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

When they love something the stress about it lol

I asked Gabe Friday afternoon when he starts thinking about next year's show and he responded, "I'm already making some changes in my head for next year!"

#912 3 years ago

A few more random thoughts:

Having the tournament in the separate room was brilliant. Enabled people to concentrate on comp games without distractions.

No one has mentioned the bugs in the rooms yet - had them crawling in the suitcase too. The setting was rural and hotel was rural - I don't think you can expect 5 star luxury there, but the facilities and space were excellent for the event.

The Friday night after party was excellent - good food, great to chat with the famous and infamous, good consolidation point for end of day meeting.

I liked having separate free-play and vendor machine rooms. You sort of worked out quickly where you wanted to be to play certain games. Allowed the vendors to keep and eye on their games more easily too.

The kid activities were great. My daughters loved the balloon sculpts and face painting plus the vendors selling non-pinball related items. Keeping the whole family happy during a pinball convention is no mean feat.

Bit far to travel every year from Australia, but will keep an eye out in future years to come back again. Happy to recommend it to all to attend, especially with family.

#913 3 years ago
    Quoted from kvolak:

What's a "crumb-snatcher?"

#915 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Mice.
    LTG : )

I was thinking he meant kids, or maybe new englanders.

#916 3 years ago

I had a great time at Pintastic! Met some good people, and played some great games. I felt guilty taking the Gottlieb Big Hurt pin home on Thursday night. I would have waited, but could only visit one night. Cant wait for next year.

#917 3 years ago
    Quoted from ryandimx:

Not a complaint at all just an observation...
    The outside flea market seemed to only be 2 guys. Any way to attract more sellers or was everything gone by 9am Friday?

I am thinking of droping the price to $55. Will see if that works. With that you get one free weekend pass so the spot is free. If that dosnt work than I don't know what to do.

#918 3 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

You will be aloud into free play till 1am after that we are taking about doing a 24 hour room for VIP hotel guests only. Is that fait enough? Nothing is set in stone yet.

Yes that would be fair and worth the drive.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

What's a "crumb-snatcher?"

That would be a kid, not a mouse LTG. Also, I'm a chick.

#919 3 years ago

I've already said how much I enjoyed the show, but some thoughts I had in no particular order:

1. The hallway with the Super Smash Bros Tourney would be a great location for a larger daily schedule to be posted.

2. I'm curious if you have a sense about the (rough) proportion of local walk ups vs. planned pre purchased attendees. With all of the family activities, there seem to be a lot of people who might be new to pinball just coming by for something fun to do. I've already chatted with Dave about scheduling the Noob lectures at times when people are more likely to be off work, but I'm thinking it might also be really great to have time set up where someone opens up a machine and shows people around. Even simple stuff like how to remove the lockbar--my husband looked at me in amazement that I knew how to pop it open bc it wasn't obvious to him--but also pointing out switches, steppers, etc. If there's a lot of noobs, helping them understand the basics of pinball ownership would be a good gateway into the hobby.

2 1/2. There's also a marketing idea to pull together a "pinball tool starter kit" with some standard useful tools, some wax and cleaner, and some clean cloths!

3. The onsite financing was super easy for me to use when I unexpectedly decided to up my budget to buy NGG. (Hopefully Mattmarr has found it as simple as I did!) It might be great to call it out down in the free play room with a "Like it? Take it home today!" sign, bc I know that until recently I didn't realize that pin sales were cash only. If you decide at 3pm on a Saturday that you want to spend an extra $1500, you really can't just pop over to an ATM and withdraw it. It would also be good to explain how it works to the sellers when they are setting up their machines bc its not as straightforward for them as getting cash.

4. From the buyer's perspective, $35 is not a huge deterrent overall for removing a $1000+ machine early, but I can also see that upping it might disproportionately hit sellers, since many buyers will say "forget it" if they can't leave right then. Maybe a small extra incentive for buyers as well, like inclusion in the Thank You drawing?

5. Thinking of car shows, it is really neat when people share pictures of a restoration process and then you can see how it's ended up. There's not a lot of space in the free play room, but it might be fun if there was poster board available to post restoration stories in the hallways.

I think that's it for now, lol. Love the event and have already blocked off next year on my calendar!

#920 3 years ago
    Quoted from dendoc:

A few more random thoughts:
    Having the tournament in the separate room was brilliant. Enabled people to concentrate on comp games without distractions.
    No one has mentioned the bugs in the rooms yet - had them crawling in the suitcase too. The setting was rural and hotel was rural - I don't think you can expect 5 star luxury there, but the facilities and space were excellent for the event.
    The Friday night after party was excellent - good food, great to chat with the famous and infamous, good consolidation point for end of day meeting.
    I liked having separate free-play and vendor machine rooms. You sort of worked out quickly where you wanted to be to play certain games. Allowed the vendors to keep and eye on their games more easily too.
    The kid activities were great. My daughters loved the balloon sculpts and face painting plus the vendors selling non-pinball related items. Keeping the whole family happy during a pinball convention is no mean feat.
    Bit far to travel every year from Australia, but will keep an eye out in future years to come back again. Happy to recommend it to all to attend, especially with family.

As a vendor having the free play and vendor area separate rooms is a issue not a benefit to the vendors

#921 3 years ago
    Quoted from dendoc:

No one has mentioned the bugs in the rooms yet - had them crawling in the suitcase too.

I'm always alert to the presence of bugs, and I didn't see a single one in my room.

#922 3 years ago
    Quoted from lllvjr:

As a vendor having the free play and vendor area separate rooms is a issue not a benefit to the vendors

Being able to close the vendor hall at 8 pm and lock it down is good but I want the vendors to sell more product and gain more traffic. We will be moving the tournament back into the vendor hall next year. I think vendors need to bring more games for people to play to create more traffic. We could create another free play area but how late do we want to keep the vendor hall open? Would we need security if the vendors close at 8pm? I'm open for sugestions.

#923 3 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

I am thinking of droping the price to $55. Will see if that works. With that you get one free weekend pass so the spot is free. If that dosnt work than I don't know what to do.

A lower price would certainly attract a few more people. Basically, with a higher price, you have to have enough to sell to cover the cost of the spot, plus the cost of what you have invested, plus still make a little extra to make it worthwhile to set up in the first place.

I would have had a few boxes of parts to sell, but most of that would have been eaten up by the cost of the spot, so I didn't bother.

A lower price would be more inviting smaller sellers, and with more smaller sellers, there would probably be more stuff to buy overall.

#924 3 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Being able to close the vendor hall at 8 pm and lock it down is good but I want the vendors to sell more product and gain more traffic. We will be moving the tournament back into the vendor hall next year. I think vendors need to bring more games for people to play to create more traffic. We could create another free play area but how late do we want to keep the vendor hall open? Would we need security if the vendors close at 8pm? I'm open for sugestions.

That's too bad - the tournament room was fantastic for tournament players - the vast majority of whom are there to play in the tournament and not buy stuff from vendors.

Would make more sense to combine some of the free play area with the vendor space.

#925 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That's too bad - the tournament room was fantastic for tournament players - the vast majority of whom are there to play in the tournament and not buy stuff from vendors.
    Would make more sense to combine some of the free play area with the vendor space.

One thing I did notice was that the vendor hall was a bit quieter without the tournament going, which was nice. You could actually hold a conversation without having to shout too much.

#926 3 years ago

I had a pocket full of cash to spend at the vendor area, but there seemed to be less vendors this year. Allentown had a lot more if I recall (only went once).

No complaints about the show....The organizers and volunteers did an outstanding job.

The clowns were frightening, as they always are, but that was a brilliant idea to have wandering entertainers. Details like that are what make Pintastic...Fantastic.

Free play area was nice, and the machines in there were in much better condition than the previous year. It's a comfortable room to play in as well.

Timing probably wasn't good, but it would have been nice to have NIB pins available for purchase to take home. Had there been boxes of Ghostbusters, Hobbit, etc.....I would have bought one.

#927 3 years ago

I saw at least one Ghostbusters NIB in the vendor area.

#928 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

One thing I did notice was that the vendor hall was a bit quieter without the tournament going, which was nice. You could actually hold a conversation without having to shout too much.

Well, I think the problem is the vendor hall was TOO quiet. Vendors want people there.

Signs throughout the show touting TBL, Spooky, and the vendors would have been a good idea and increased foot traffic in there.

It'll be a shame to lose the tournament room though. It was absolutely fantastic - a great room to play in and hang out while waiting to play, comfortable, and it kept stragglers (drunks who bust into the tournament area and just hit start) to a minimum.

#929 3 years ago

Removed by request of Gabe!

#930 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Well, I think the problem is the vendor hall was TOO quiet. Vendors want people there.

True, there wasn't as much foot traffic as vendors would have liked. However--tournament players typically are only there to participate in the tournament.

Then again, giving them the opportunity to wander the vendor area while they wait their turn might encourage them to buy a bag of bulbs or something...who knows.

#931 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

True, there wasn't as much foot traffic as vendors would have liked. However--tournament players typically are only there to participate in the tournament.
    Then again, giving them the opportunity to wander the vendor area while they wait their turn might encourage them to buy a bag of bulbs or something...who knows.

Nah, I agree with you. The solution isn't to screw up a good thing in the tournament room, it's to find ways to encourage non-tournament showgoers - the ones who are gonna buy stuff - to go back there.

#932 3 years ago
    Quoted from FunkyFreshWalrus:

I would suggest people claim their raffle by a certain time frame and then, if they don't claim it by then it gets redrawn at the next round of raffles. The game bringer tickets are a thank you, there shouldn't be too many conditions. Maybe you are working on a game, or playing in the tournament. Too much going on at once to force people to be anywhere at a specific time.

My remarks about people responsing promptly were exclusively directed to the general prize raffle (pink tickets), which had only one drawing on Saturday at about 6:00 PM. The only participants in this were people who bought in, and who put the other half of the pink mticket in the jar corresponding to the prize they wanted. Perhaps we need to make it clearer that when you buy those tickets, you ought to make it a point to be in a particular place at the one time that the drawing occurs.

For the white tickets (door prize) and green tickets (game-bringer giveaway), numbers were posted on whiteboards so you could come by at your convenience. The general prize raffle (pink tickets) is under review.
    .................David Marston

#933 3 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

[Regarding outdoor flea market:] I am thinking of droping the price to $55. Will see if that works. With that you get one free weekend pass so the spot is free. If that dosnt work than I don't know what to do.

Arrange for better weather? I don't believe that the price of the spot is going to make that much difference. Is there anyone who wants to set up just one table or one trunk/tailgate load? Maybe a low price for them and keep the $125 for "professional flea marketers" with their tents, trailers, and multiple tables. Or is there anyone who wants a one-day rate?

Potential flea market vendors: reply in this thread with your idea of the best deal for you, given that space is limited and the show has to recoup expenses.

#934 3 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

I've done similar pricing for non-pinball events... basically as long as everyone working the table has paid to get in, then their table is free. More important to create a successful area for the show than the little bit of extra money you might skim from flea market vendors.

#935 3 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

Arrange for better weather? I don't believe that the price of the spot is going to make that much difference. Is there anyone who wants to set up just one table or one trunk/tailgate load? Maybe a low price for them and keep the $125 for "professional flea marketers" with their tents, trailers, and multiple tables. Or is there anyone who wants a one-day rate?
    Potential flea market vendors: reply in this thread with your idea of the best deal for you, given that space is limited and the show has to recoup expenses.

I'm not talking about a one day spot. It would be $55 for all 3 days and you would have full access to the show which would make it free. I just want to fill the flee market with pinball and game room vendors.

#936 3 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

My remarks about people responsing promptly were exclusively directed to the general prize raffle (pink tickets), which had only one drawing on Saturday at about 6:00 PM. The only participants in this were people who bought in, and who put the other half of the pink mticket in the jar corresponding to the prize they wanted. Perhaps we need to make it clearer that when you buy those tickets, you ought to make it a point to be in a particular place at the one time that the drawing occurs.
    For the white tickets (door prize) and green tickets (game-bringer giveaway), numbers were posted on whiteboards so you could come by at your convenience. The general prize raffle (pink tickets) is under review.

All the different tickets was a little confusing. Perhaps a poster explaining what each one was for might have helped?

#937 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

All the different tickets was a little confusing. Perhaps a poster explaining what each one was for might have helped.

I think there was some confusion with the raffle tickets; my buddy and I got SuperPasses and weren't given door prize tickets at the counter and we weren't sure if we were supposed to get them anyway...

-Doug

#938 3 years ago
    Quoted from PersonX99:

it would have been nice to have NIB pins available for purchase to take home.

I agree. I had a $6k budget to spend and came home with a pair of playfields for wall art at $100 total.

20160713_081859_(resized).jpg

#939 3 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

I'm not talking about a one day spot. It would be $55 for all 3 days and you would have full access to the show which would make it free. I just want to fill the flee market with pinball and game room vendors.

I'm sure sellers care more about selling than free entry into the show. I don't recall seeing the sellers indoors too often.

#940 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaWezl:

I've already chatted with Dave about scheduling the Noob lectures at times when people are more likely to be off work, but I'm thinking it might also be really great to have time set up where someone opens up a machine and shows people around. Even simple stuff like how to remove the lockbar--my husband looked at me in amazement that I knew how to pop it open bc it wasn't obvious to him--but also pointing out switches, steppers, etc. If there's a lot of noobs, helping them understand the basics of pinball ownership would be a good gateway into the hobby.

I'm thinking about this, but my plan involves upgrading our audio-visual capabilities. We would want to make the seminar a complement to available on-line info (e.g., http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Beginner%27s_Notes ), where the live demonstration amplifies what you heard or read before.

#941 3 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I agree. I had a $6k budget to spend and came home with a pair of playfields for wall art at $100 total.

Automated dropped the ball on this. His inventory was low on the newest games. I will talk to him about this. Thanks

#942 3 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

I'm thinking about this, but my plan involves upgrading our audio-visual capabilities. We would want to make the seminar a complement to available on-line info (e.g., http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Beginner%27s_Notes ), where the live demonstration amplifies what you heard or read before.

Fantastic idea! This would be excellent!

#943 3 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

I'd be okay with a lower price too. Set up both years in the Flea Market and did well both times. Already looking forward to next year!!

IMG_3457_(resized).JPG

#944 3 years ago
    Quoted from halflip87:

I think there was some confusion with the raffle tickets; my buddy and I got SuperPasses and weren't given door prize tickets at the counter and we weren't sure if we were supposed to get them anyway...
    -Doug

+1

#945 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Signs throughout the show touting TBL, Spooky, and the vendors would have been a good idea and increased foot traffic in there.
    It'll be a shame to lose the tournament room though. It was absolutely fantastic - a great room to play in and hang out while waiting to play, comfortable, and it kept stragglers (drunks who bust into the tournament area and just hit start) to a minimum.

Don't believe you came last year Levi but we were in the vendor hall and it was great. That whole stage area where automated had the new sterns we had the 12 game bank nicely spread out. Big area for players. Line far back to give score keepers plenty of moving room. Then even further back lines of chairs to spectate and relax. Very little problem with people making it through all that and screwing with players. Our tables were set off to the right of the stage area and had ample area to do our business. To the left we even had 9 more games setup for a pingolf side tournament. I will admit having the room to ourselves was night even if it was a bit tight but the vendor hall was a great spot for us too. Broadcasting and commentary are hopefull ideas we are looking into for next year.

#946 3 years ago

Super pass people got 3 tickets each written out by our staff that went into the raffle. Part of the perk you don't have to fill out the tickets. Next year we will only offer a big prize to vip people. No more door prizes.

#947 3 years ago
    Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Don't believe you came last year Levi but we were in the vendor hall and it was great. That whole stage area where automated had the new sterns we had the 12 game bank nicely spread out. Big area for players. Line far back to give score keepers plenty of moving room. Then even further back lines of chairs to spectate and relax. Very little problem with people making it through all that and screwing with players. Our tables were set off to the right of the stage area and had ample area to do our business. To the left we even had 9 more games setup for a pingolf side tournament. I will admit having the room to ourselves was night even if it was a bit tight but the vendor hall was a great spot for us too. Broadcasting and commentary are hopefull ideas we are looking into for next year.

You guys will be back in the vendor hall again this year. You won't have that whole area but most likely half and the bump out to the right for registration.

#948 3 years ago
    Quoted from bstnguy:

I'd be okay with a lower price too. Set up both years in the Flea Market and did well both times. Already looking forward to next year!!

Do you think the basicly free flee market spots will get more people to make the trip?

#949 3 years ago

I'd be happy to volunteer some time to help with any digital signage your looking to do. There was no good place to just look up and see what is happening right now. Sometimes there is too much going on visually, and a big blinking arrow is what is needed. Even just having the time and schedule posted up high in the free play room would have helped. I missed a few seminars because I got caught up playing or working on a game in free play.

A "main stage" with a projector could be neat. You could broadcast the raffle drawings, the free play prizes, some seminars, tournament finals. That would likely draw more people into the vendor hall. I have a friend who does video production and works with some local independent news outlets. I'm sure we could draw in some sort of roving reporters going around the venue.

I didn't spend too much time in the vendor room, I went in bought what I was looking for, played Big Lebowski or BoP 2.0 and went back over to free play.

#950 3 years ago

I work a lot of trade shows for my job and many of them feature some sort of "scavenger hunt" to encourage attendees to visit vendor booths and allow the vendors to generate more potential leads.

Basically, all attendees receive a card listing the names of various vendors which they have to visit and get a signature/stamp from. Once their card is complete, they submit it to be entered into a raffle for a nice prize. I think this would increase traffic through the vendor hall and give incentives to both the attendees and vendors.

-Doug

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 159.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 209.99
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 45.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    LightAndTimeArt
    $ 12.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 149.00
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Whitewater pinball mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 41.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    $ 100.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 64.95
    $ 129.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 12,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 144.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    The MOD Couple
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 45.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ...redshiftLED
    There are 1192 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 24.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside